As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Ugh. I know I'm not the first person to say this, but Game Freak really, really needs to take a good look at evolution methods and revamp them to make them intuitive and fun rather than "guess I'm Googling this shit." I mean, I know there's a lot of tradition involved, but there's no fucking excuse for Palafin. Especially with crappier trading.

It's dumb that they don't have npcs in the world talking about these obscure methods.
    Make use of your npcs gamefreak. Put sidequests in the game that'll teach these methods.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Ugh. I know I'm not the first person to say this, but Game Freak really, really needs to take a good look at evolution methods and revamp them to make them intuitive and fun rather than "guess I'm Googling this shit." I mean, I know there's a lot of tradition involved, but there's no fucking excuse for Palafin. Especially with crappier trading.

It's dumb that they don't have npcs in the world talking about these obscure methods.
    Make use of your npcs gamefreak. Put sidequests in the game that'll teach these methods.

They even already had this in Gen V. You could phone up the professor and ask how to evolve the pokemon in your party.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2023

Hundo percent this. I'm fine with the weird ass evo methods but there's literally NOTHING in game telling you how to do these. They either expect you to somehow rando your way into them (which is maybe possible with the move-based ones but some of the others are really obscure) or flat out look them up online. That's just dumb. Like you said, NPCs that tell you how to do this stuff is the way to go. Then it's not in-your-face but there is still a resource that doesn't require you to leave the game to google shit.

That said, I was really hoping Arceus was a sign they were moving away from trade evos, but guess not :/ Granted those two games were being developed simultaneously so maybe this is one of those things the two teams didn't talk to each other about and will be a "next gen" QoL thing instead. Probably not tho :( It's just such a hassle though - just let me evolve my own damn Pokemon and not have to play trade roulette with someone! Literally no one likes to be forced to give away their pokemon in order to evolve it :/

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I actually remember figuring out how to evolve Primeape in Scarlet/Violet because of an in game hint. And it both made me think the evolution method was neat and really made me wonder why the hell they don't do that more often.

Given, it's entirely possible there are more hints out there that I just missed.

edited November 2023
    I actually remember figuring out how to evolve Primeape in Scarlet/Violet because of an in game hint. And it both made me think the evolution method was neat and really made me wonder why the hell they don't do that more often.

Given, it's entirely possible there are more hints out there that I just missed.

I don't think so. As I recall that's the only one that has even some semblance of a hint as far as I've seen (at least as far as new pokemon go... they might say "hey evolve eevee with a stone!" or something). Even that I think is buried under like most of the Biology class lessons? :P Really I like the idea of just being able to ask the professor for help on any evolution (even the old ones - don't assume everyone playing knows who evolves from a Dusk Stone or whatever). That's literally supposed to be their jobs...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Legends Arceus was a step in the right direction where its sidequests would naturally teach things like wurmple can evolve into two different creatures.

Pokemon need more sidequests where you help another trainer evolve their pokemon or they talk about how their pokemon evolved after you gave them 5 ursaring asses or whatever.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Legends Arceus was a step in the right direction where its sidequests would naturally teach things like wurmple can evolve into two different creatures.

Pokemon need more sidequests where you help another trainer evolve their pokemon or they talk about how their pokemon evolved after you gave them 5 ursaring asses or whatever.

I've been saying for years that the game needed to refocus back on becoming the professor's assistant instead of "you need to save the world, 10 year old kid!" thing that they've been doing since Gen 3 (and finally felt like they started fixing in Legends / SV, which is probably why I like both a lot). Give me a story where you're running errands for the professor, many of which involve catching specific Pokemon the prof wants to study. One of my favorite things in GS was the hints you got about the mysterious noises coming from the Ruins of Alph on Fridays, and when you went and explored the depths on a Friday you'd find the super-rare Lapras hanging around for you to catch. They should be doing stuff like that way more. Give me sidequests I can do to encounter rare non-Legendary Pokemon instead of just making them a 1% spawn chance in a tiny easily-missable patch of grass.

They can still do the gym thing, but don't put any more emphasis on it than SV did with their gyms. They exist, you need to complete them to beat the game, you can even gate some progression behind them, but they're not the focus like in Sw/Sh.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Scarlet/Violet unexpected new Pokemon:
    Oh, we're getting Ursaluna? I love that derpy guy! Come here, let me give you some cuddles OH FUCK FUCK FUCK RUN AWAY

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

I may have tried to progress that wrumple quest at nighttime to force the issue.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

I've been saying for years that the game needed to refocus back on becoming the professor's assistant instead of "you need to save the world, 10 year old kid!" thing that they've been doing since Gen 3 (and finally felt like they started fixing in Legends / SV, which is probably why I like both a lot). Give me a story where you're running errands for the professor, many of which involve catching specific Pokemon the prof wants to study. One of my favorite things in GS was the hints you got about the mysterious noises coming from the Ruins of Alph on Fridays, and when you went and explored the depths on a Friday you'd find the super-rare Lapras hanging around for you to catch. They should be doing stuff like that way more. Give me sidequests I can do to encounter rare non-Legendary Pokemon instead of just making them a 1% spawn chance in a tiny easily-missable patch of grass.

They can still do the gym thing, but don't put any more emphasis on it than SV did with their gyms. They exist, you need to complete them to beat the game, you can even gate some progression behind them, but they're not the focus like in Sw/Sh.

I do think my absolute favorite part of SV was the "post-game"
    Exploring an enigmatic area along with your friends, investigating a mystery and encountering strange pokemon is super cool. I do agree, I think discovering the Paradox pokemon as rumors and other strange encounters would have been cooler than "walk to this particular area, wait for one to spawn, enjoy." Especially as the game tries to treat them as almost cryptids? That would have been very on brand. And honestly the low-stakes story of Arven trying to find his parent is much more interesting and more meaningful than any plot to save the world, even though they raised the stakes to that very suddenly at the end. I almost feel if the game was more about doing the school year and investigating mysteries I would have enjoyed it much more.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    Iblis wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »

I do think my absolute favorite part of SV was the "post-game"
    Exploring an enigmatic area along with your friends, investigating a mystery and encountering strange pokemon is super cool. I do agree, I think discovering the Paradox pokemon as rumors and other strange encounters would have been cooler than "walk to this particular area, wait for one to spawn, enjoy." Especially as the game tries to treat them as almost cryptids? That would have been very on brand. And honestly the low-stakes story of Arven trying to find his parent is much more interesting and more meaningful than any plot to save the world, even though they raised the stakes to that very suddenly at the end. I almost feel if the game was more about doing the school year and investigating mysteries I would have enjoyed it much more.

They kinda sorta did this with one of the Titans but yeah, that would have been neat :3

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    Final DLC trailer dropped. We must go deeper!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K21r9LPrVk

So many mons to catch. They better give us more box space.

The video also soft confirms that the new flying ability will be available in the main map, unless that was from a cutscene or something.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Free master ball eh? Dont mind if I do

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Ooh, a chance at the other Kubfu evolution and horse legendary from the SwSh DLC.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    I'm not holding my breath that there will be pokedex entries for the legendaries like with sword/shield.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I hope the legendaries can be shiny >.>

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    are all the legendary ones only going to be from the horrible raid battles?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    are all the legendary ones only going to be from the horrible raid battles?

Apparently they involve shopping for snacks?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Hello hi

The DLC2 is out

Lots of spoilers so be careful out there

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Syncro machine is fun. Seems like pokemon have different speeds using it? Arcanine felt faster than Ogrepon, anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I have been doing my thing where I catch everything and use them as my team until they evolve and every trainer is kicking my ass haha. Glorious

Oh Good Inkay is still annoying as fuck to evolve

Inkay just isn't working for me this time. Will wait for malamar raid

Inkay just isn't working for me this time. Will wait for malamar raid

Make sure you dont have a pro controller paired

Oh I don't remember that from shield.
    Cheers will try again. At level 77...

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    just turn your tv upside down

Ugh, getting BP piles together is a bit of a slog.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The fact that every trainer is Doubles format would have driven me up the wall if this hadn't been the gen I finally decided to actually physically assemble one of my deranged gimmick teams for laddering. All of them being level 100 means how well it would function in actual combat at level parity isn't clear, but beating the hell out of the computer trainers with my stupid damage engine has been fun so far.

The team:

Tauros (Paldean, Blaze Breed)
    Anger Point
    Assault Vest
    Raging Bull / Close Combat / Earthquake / Rock Slide

The team's centerpiece. The Anger Point ability is why I call this "Team Anger Point". But why it works won't make sense until you see...

Meowscarada
    Protean
    Air Balloon
    Flower Trick / Pollen Puff / U-Turn / Psyche Up

Meowscarada is one of the team's two activators. On the first turn, it uses Flower Trick on Tauros. Tauros resists it, being fire-type, and is always critically hit because that's how Flower Trick works. This forces Tauros's attack power to the maximum. Since Meowscarada is on an Air Balloon, it's safe from the Earthquake if I need to use it, or otherwise I just use whatever move is most appropriate. From there, all of Meowscarada's moves are context-sensitive: Pollen Puff to heal Tauros if damage got through, Psyche Up to turn Meowscarada itself into a righteous terror, or U-Turn to swap out for...

Flamigo
    Costar
    Choice Scarf
    Close Combat / Brave Bird / Throat Chop / Liquidation

... this little bastard, whose Costar ability makes it copy the stat boosts of its ally when it switches in. So with either Psyche Up or U-Turn, I've got two Pokemon with capped-out Attack boosts.

Froslass
    Cursed Body
    Focus Sash
    Icy Wind / Frost Breath / Protect / Crunch

Froslass is the team's other activator, being able to hit Tauros for not-very-effective damage before Tauros's first turn to activate Anger Point. From there, Icy Wind helps control the enemy's Speed if necessary, and Crunch is just sort of there to help deal with Psychics who otherwise give the rest of the team hell.

The other two slots on my team have been taken up by my designated catch 'mons, but I've also got a Krookodile and a Crabominable who use the Anger Point gimmick (using Power Trip to take 140-BP swings in the former case, or Drain Punch at 400% damage to be tanky as hell).

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I've been playing around with the idea of using a Water Bubble + Entrainment Araquanid paired with the Water/Fighting Urshifu. Giving Urshifu protection from burns and also doubling all of its water type move damage sounds pretty nasty when paired with Surging Strikes.

Wow its been a while so I forgot how fuckin awful Homes search functions are. It resets list view everytime and theres no option to just type a name just scroll menus.

Rolled credits on the new DLC. Overall really happy with it, aside from the expected "absolutely ridiculous performance problems". While I expect a substantial amount of people will just stomp everything with level 100 pokemon, I feel really rewarded for making an effort to keep things challenging, because pretty much all of the relevant fights in this DLC are pretty serious. Several fights took me several attempts, with having to mix up my teams to deal with specific problems.

Looking forward to checking out whatever opens up after the story is done.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Apparently there's some post-credit stuff. Have you seen that?
    I haven't played yet, but apparently you go back to a pool from the previous DLC after getting the new credits

What level range was good for the newest DLC?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Turambar wrote: »
    Apparently there's some post-credit stuff. Have you seen that?
    I haven't played yet, but apparently you go back to a pool from the previous DLC after getting the new credits

What level range was good for the newest DLC?

I figured there was, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Will do it today, though.

I'd recommend starting with a team in the 71-75 range.

edited December 2023
    Beat it apparently an NPC is waiting for me but hell if I know where because its not marked on the map and I forgot where Briar said

Flight is very slow but it should make the last two ruin pokemon easier to get for me

I need the new scarlett paradox monsters and Galarian Slowking and Im basically done with this dex though.also kingdra but GTS is asking for insane things for it and no thanks

King Riptor on
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if the bug with the ruin spikes has been fixed?

I can’t get one of the ruin Pokemon because I apparently pulled a dark spike before the “quest” was active, which bugged out the seal. So no spikes left to pull, seal still in place.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Okay i didn't expect them to put that battle theme in the second dlc that's cool

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    If you feel like you aren't accumulating BP fast enough, find a friend and use the Union Circle. While you have another player in a Union Circle session, you each share your quest list and get rewards for doing it, and you access to a third tier of quest for every three special quests you finish that requires some kind of multiplayer interaction. My first several hours of play saw me accumulating only about 1000 BP, while a friend and I did quest grinding together for an hour and a half and wound up with 9000 apiece. Certain legendaries are locked behind completing a certain number of these friend quests, too, so if you want absolutely everything you'll have to spend some time in the Union Circle.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Ugh. The fact that there's no way to just get a random group from within the game hurts a bit for that too. Though the 4* sandwich quest would be a complete pita regardless if it pops because that one basically requires active communication.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Kupi wrote: »
    If you feel like you aren't accumulating BP fast enough, find a friend and use the Union Circle. While you have another player in a Union Circle session, you each share your quest list and get rewards for doing it, and you access to a third tier of quest for every three special quests you finish that requires some kind of multiplayer interaction. My first several hours of play saw me accumulating only about 1000 BP, while a friend and I did quest grinding together for an hour and a half and wound up with 9000 apiece. Certain legendaries are locked behind completing a certain number of these friend quests, too, so if you want absolutely everything you'll have to spend some time in the Union Circle.

Yeah, I was recently in a 4 person group and we got 12k BP from doing 6 group quests and the prereqs. And you need to do 12 to get all the snackeroos.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython