As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮- Anno:Mutationem, Onde, Shredders & Battle Bands out today!

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited March 2022 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJAAy7tPhE
The virus won and civilization has fallen back to the Dark Ages. The City, one of the last human settlements, is on the brink of collapse. Use your agility and combat skills to survive, and reshape the world. Your choices matter.
20220204 Dying Light 2 Stay Human (Zombies Open World Parkour Multiplayer RPG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gcukoxWFrk
The Heilwald Klinikum used to be one of the most renowned medical facilities in Germany. That all changed when that curious loophole appeared...
20220204 The Heilwald Lophole (Horror First-Person Psychological Horror Stealth) [/quote]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM-APV51M6s
When Holland’s social media is lit ablaze by a recent breakup, she embarks on a new mission to ditch the social media saturation and discover some real-world relationships among a Land of Screens
20220204 Land of Screens (Adventure Indie Female Protagonist Story Rich )
20220204 Ancient ()
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxOUi7RdFkU
Create a world free of conflict in this innovative turn-based simulation. Work together with a mythical young goddess to develop a peaceful civilization over the course of a century.
20220203 The Hundred Year Kingdom (Turn-Based Tactics Anime Colony Sim Historical )

In a world of fairies, a childhood friend suddenly calls Beatrice back to her old hometown. Yet when she arrives, her friend is mysteriously missing.
20220203 Fayburrow (Adventure Mystery Visual Novel Detective 3D)

Ampguard is a rogue-like game with a unique combat system and nasty monsters. Combine your skills and use them in the best possible way to emerge victorious from the battle against the Yokai.
20220203 Amp Guard (Action Singleplayer Combat Action Roguelike )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZFuiIAPUg0
A young man finds himself trapped in an otherworldly museum where he is forced to fight in a battle royal using strange ghost-like creatures called Artisans. ARTISAN is a Japanese style visual novel with choice-based dialogue and contains adult language, suggestive sexual themes and violence.
20220203 Artisan (Adventure Casual Action Battle Royale 2D )
In Line Strike game, you get the role of the commander of a small army. All you need to do is select the type of troops and install it on the battlefield. The game does not require a quick reaction and microcontrol, only knowledge of the stats of your units and tactical ingenuity.
20220202 Line Strike (Strategy Auto Battler RTS Wargame 3D )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A65POSXEf50
Yeah Yeah Beebiss II is the sequel to a game considered as lost media. As Kyonshi Hui and Jiangshi Bo, it is your quest to banish all evil in all 100 levels - 10 original stages, including the boss -- a mutated mass of pure evil.
20220202 Yeah Yeah Beebiss II (Action Platformer 2D Platformer Pixel Graphics )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5EO03qB1Zw
Slip the bonds of fate in this party-based RPG filled with Celtic myth and historical legend. Discover thrilling adventure alongside mortal companions and immortal allies as you explore the world of The Waylanders.
20220202 The Waylanders (RPG Adventure Action Indie Strategy )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RC47K5Fz8Y
A massive tower of stone emerged one day in a land wasted by war, plague and famine. You are one of the many drawn to it by legends of fortune and salvation. Will you succumb to it, conquer it, or discover the secrets deep within?
20220202 Devil Spire (RPG Dungeon Crawler Roguelite Dark Fantasy )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI3AMPKEPmQ
Pre-Order Life is Strange Remastered Collection and receive the ‘Zombie Crypt’ Outfit for Chloe. ‘Zombie Crypt’ Outfit is only available for use in Life is Strange: Before the Storm Remastered. The Life is Strange Remastered Collection includes ‘Life is Strange Remastered’ and ‘Life is Strange: Before the Storm Remastered’.
20220201 Life is Strange Remastered Collection (Choices Matter Female Protagonist Story Rich )

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Finally after about 14 months of every other week gaming, my group and I beat Divinity Original Sin 2. That was a blast in COOP. 100% recommend. All my friends had played it before. Going in fresh for everyone it would have taken much longer.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    hey, if you got that free Stellaris from GOG I posted about in the last thread, they're doing a big DLC sale: https://www.gog.com/en/news/discover_some_exciting_stellaris_dlc_packs
    3 bundles, the Stories pack has all the Story add-on DLCs for $10, the Species pack has all the species option DLCs for $15, and the Expansions pack has all the expansions for $25

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah that's how they get you, the game is free, and the content is on sale :rotate:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I just finished the second Great Ace Attorney game and oh my godddddddddddd
    When the tap dancing started I lost it, and fuck that was a tremendous finale and breakdown.

I'll have to chew on it but as one big game the duology might be my favourite in the series? Definitely up there.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I picked up the first Dying Light on sale last year and stopped playing it when I was sent on a mission to kill some dudes (not even zombies, actual human beings) and literally broke all my melee weapons doing headshots against one of those dudes without ever actually killing him. I don't know if it was a bug or batshit level scaling, but that just broke my immersion utterly and I put it down.

Glal on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Well there's your problem. Goons tend to have very thick skulls, their real weakness lies in the fact they have no guts

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

OlliOlli World early review scores

Eurogamer 'Essential'
    IGN 9
    Stevivor 9
    GameSpot 9
    Prima Games 9
    Digital Trends 4.5/5
    Destructoid 8.5
    Screenrant 4/5
    Game Informer 8
    Press Start 8

very excited for OlliOlli

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    RPS hit it with their Bestest Best label too, which is usually a pretty reliable mark of quality i've found

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/olliolli-world-review-so-good-it-will-give-you-blisters

(I disagree with their reviews sometimes, but generally if they're smacking Bestest Best on something, it's worth at least looking at in depth)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I'm watching a streamer play Dying Light 2, and this is a minor thing amongst what seems to be a lot of stuff, but it is set is some fictional "European" city yet almost everyone they talk to has a different regional accent from somewhere in the United States. Like not even the same area of the US, but all over. I've hear a very small number of "French" accents but these are more like you explained the concept of France to a person and let them make it up as they go.

Not the best impression.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The characters and factions feel like they would make more sense in a US context

Apparently this was intended, this is a quote by the producer
    [...] story was definitely one of the bases that we wanted to cover. But we also knew that it would be hard for us to create a story that will be engaging for an American audience, because we are just a company from Poland and we think in Polish ways, and maybe that’s not what people in America expect.

"Was there anything in particular that helped shape the story?"

To make sure that we create a story that is perfect for American gamers and gamers in general, we invited a couple of people that could help us with that, and these people are writers for DC comics.

There seems to have been a fear that if they made the game too "European", it would lose mass market appeal

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    The characters and factions feel like they would make more sense in a US context

[...] story was definitely one of the bases that we wanted to cover. But we also knew that it would be hard for us to create a story that will be engaging for an American audience, because we are just a company from Poland and we think in Polish ways, and maybe that’s not what people in America expect.

To make sure that we create a story that is perfect for American gamers and gamers in general, we invited a couple of people that could help us with that, and these people are writers for DC comics.

There seems to have been a fear that if they made the game too "European", it would lose mass market appeal

I think they went too far the other direction. It is very distracting.

I mean again, it is pretty minor compared to some of the other stuff I've seen.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm 5 hours deep into Disco Elysium, and wow, this is a hell of a thing isn't it. I restarted, so I have 2 shoes now. Also got so indecisive over character creation that I ended up being a boring wet beige cardboard box of a person and just set all my skills to 3. Put the signature thingy into Inland Empire. I think that's what makes things talk to you? I made friends with a mailbox.

I have laughed a lot. I have also made rabbit-in-headlights face a lot whenever the game starts throwing politics at me, because I don't really understand it, and I'm not sure what responses to pick, and I just want Kim to like me.

The actual game mechanics so far seem pretty straightforward, though the number of tasks and things has got overwhelming quickly. And I don't really get what this Thought Cabinet thing is. Sounds a bit like Sherlock's mind palace. I also don't know how much I should be worried about the time progression. Like if there's an actual time limit on things or it's just there to give you a schedule for different events.

Spoilers for early game
    I am at about 7pm on day 1. I've wandered about and talked to a lot of people, most of them seem to hate me and I constantly feel like I'm about to get into trouble but so far I've just embarrassed myself a few times.

We just got the body down from the tree and did the autopsy. I had 3 skill points saved up so was able to dump them all into Perception at the end and dig the bullet out of the skull. I stopped after that because that whole sequence was really intense. And then Kim said I'd done good and I felt genuinely so proud of Harry.

The biggest laugh I've had so far was this. I think because whenever I got a conversation option from a skill check success I assumed it would grant me some boon, and this time I was when I realised that no, they can just troll you.
    enfn4e05it8b.jpg

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That is all the perfect state of mind for playing Disco Elysium

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hey, if you're already at that point in day 1, then you really don't have much to worry about with time limits

looks like we've got ourselves an A+ superstar cop here!

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I don't think I've had a video game character I've ever been more afraid of letting down than Kim

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    If you really want Kim to like you (minor character spoilers)
    Look at and talk about machines a bunch

The dude's a total torque dork

• Options
    I'm still really sad that I wasn't able to buy Kim's jacket from the ZA/UM store

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's very not my style/color of jacket but I would have also considered buying it for sure

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I don't think I've had a video game character I've ever been more afraid of letting down than Kim

davinci in assbro

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    twitter.com/RivalsOfAether/status/1489288632754388993

I haven’t played RoA practically since the official “out of early access” release, but I’ve kept up with their progress, and it’s been great to see all the things they’re doing with the game.

Also I love the music.

Edit, oh, and stuff like this:

Perrsun on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

As an American, I am completely incapable of relating to or even comprehending a story unless every single character is either a cowboy, a cow, or a horse.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

As an American, I am completely incapable of relating to or even comprehending a story unless every single character is either a cowboy, a cow, or a horse.

Also there better be at least twenty different varieties of guns and those models had best be accurate right down to the serial number engraving

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

Guy was just in a fight with non zombie humans. The two of them has the same three voice line regardless of how badly they were getting beat and had the worst southern "hick" accent I've heard outside of the Simpsons.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Everything I've read about Dying Light 2 is that the gameplay is excellent and superfun.

They mention the story offhand in the last 3rd.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Everything I've read about Dying Light 2 is that the gameplay is excellent and superfun.

It looks eh so far, but all these streamers are playing on the hardest difficulty and it takes a ton of hits to take out a single zombie.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Really? i've been hearing stuff slamming the gameplay for inspid QTE heavy stuff, and locking basic world traversal options behind faction grinding, as well as having mechanics that fight each other really heavily (Parkour vs Glider type issues)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It sounds reasonably fun but also it takes like 20 hours for you to unlock the stuff to make it so.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

It looks eh so far, but all these streamers are playing on the hardest difficulty and it takes a ton of hits to take out a single zombie.

That's always a bummer. I have a strong preference for the kind of zombie where each individual is low-threat and extremely easy to take out. That way it lulls you into a false sense of security for The Horde.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It sounds reasonably fun but also it takes like 20 hours for you to unlock the stuff to make it so.

You could play The Return of the Obra Dinn, give yourself amnesia with a traumatic brain injury, and play The Return of the Obra Dinn again in that time

• Options
    In Dying Light 1, the virus hit Harran during the Global Games or something, some kind of Olympics like event, that explained why there were so many different people and so many accents.
    With 2, it's 15 years later in a completely different part of Europe, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    The funniest thing is that I've heard the backdrop for the story is basically "Yeah we fixed everything fifteen years ago and then right afterward someone fucked up and spread a different zombie virus"

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The funniest thing is that I've heard the backdrop for the story is basically "Yeah we fixed everything fifteen years ago and then right afterward someone fucked up and spread a different zombie virus"

So from what I've heard, the DLC followup to Dying Light changed the happy ending (we basically cured the plague, it's all good now!) to a bad end (jk, the cure doesn't last actually, and everyone will soon die and turn). The long form analysis video I watched was very positive on The Following DLC, so maybe that was an interesting way for the story to go, I didn't play it, so I don't know.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

That's always a bummer. I have a strong preference for the kind of zombie where each individual is low-threat and extremely easy to take out. That way it lulls you into a false sense of security for The Horde.

There is apparently no horde at all.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

There is apparently no horde at all.

:x

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I'm 5 hours deep into Disco Elysium, and wow, this is a hell of a thing isn't it. I restarted, so I have 2 shoes now. Also got so indecisive over character creation that I ended up being a boring wet beige cardboard box of a person and just set all my skills to 3. Put the signature thingy into Inland Empire. I think that's what makes things talk to you? I made friends with a mailbox.

I have laughed a lot. I have also made rabbit-in-headlights face a lot whenever the game starts throwing politics at me, because I don't really understand it, and I'm not sure what responses to pick, and I just want Kim to like me.

The actual game mechanics so far seem pretty straightforward, though the number of tasks and things has got overwhelming quickly. And I don't really get what this Thought Cabinet thing is. Sounds a bit like Sherlock's mind palace. I also don't know how much I should be worried about the time progression. Like if there's an actual time limit on things or it's just there to give you a schedule for different events.

Spoilers for early game
    I am at about 7pm on day 1. I've wandered about and talked to a lot of people, most of them seem to hate me and I constantly feel like I'm about to get into trouble but so far I've just embarrassed myself a few times.

We just got the body down from the tree and did the autopsy. I had 3 skill points saved up so was able to dump them all into Perception at the end and dig the bullet out of the skull. I stopped after that because that whole sequence was really intense. And then Kim said I'd done good and I felt genuinely so proud of Harry.

The biggest laugh I've had so far was this. I think because whenever I got a conversation option from a skill check success I assumed it would grant me some boon, and this time I was when I realised that no, they can just troll you.
    enfn4e05it8b.jpg

Thought Cabinet explanation (gameplay mechanics, spoilered if you want to figure this all out on your own)
    The Thought Cabinet is basically a perk/passive bonus selection, you equip a thought to a thought cabinet slot and take some time to think about it (aka research it) which will give you a small bonus and/or penalty. Once enough time has passed while you're researching it, it will complete, and you'll get a bigger or different bonus/penalty. More thoughts open up as you do stuff and explore, but you have a limited number of slots to research and equip them. You can spend skill points to unlock more.
    While you're researching a thought, you can equip and unequip it as much as you want. However, once you've finished researching it, it's locked into that slot, unless you spend another skill point to forget it, in which case you will lose access to that thought permanently but get the slot back.
    A couple recommendations:
    • Jamais Vu (Derealization) - gives bonus XP for every orb you click, very very useful early on
    • Copotype thoughts - give useful bonuses for playing as a certain type of cop, Hobocop especially gives you an easy way to earn money early on
    • Political compass thoughts - each gives you new dialogue options, and also bonuses toward picking options for that political affiliation
    • White Mourning - allows you to zoom out more and see more of the environment, very useful for exploring or just seeing all the nice art

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    There weren't technically hordes in DL1 due to spawning limitations but they would routinely throw enough enemies at you to make running a viable option in most cases.

And melee weapons in DL1 work well against zombies, guns work better against people, and you tend to fight people in areas where gunfire won't draw enemies to you (on rooftops, in barricaded areas etc). Even on Easy trying to melee anyone that used range would kill you within like 3 shots

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Yeah being on the ground in Dying Light is not a good idea

There's no... Sony zombie biker open world game that was so generic I can't remember the name kind of horde tech, but it definitely felt like there were a lot of zombos

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Yeah being on the ground in Dying Light is not a good idea

There's no... Sony zombie biker open world game that was so generic I can't remember the name kind of horde tech, but it definitely felt like there were a lot of zombos

Days Gone?

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
This discussion has been closed.