As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There is no Omicron in [Winter Olympics]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    also man curling is one of the best spectator sports there is

it is super satisfying when the stones go clonk, every shot is pretty exciting to watch. And it's cool being able to hear the contestant talk, if you understand their language.

ftOqU21.png
    ElvenshaeSleepKane Red RobeCarpy3cl1ps3facetiousMortal SkytynicCelloZonugalnever die
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I find curling pretty funny to watch because I think it’s very amusing listening to everyone acting very excited when a rock is just sliding along.

It’s just a rock guys.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    also man curling is one of the best spectator sports there is

it is super satisfying when the stones go clonk, every shot is pretty exciting to watch. And it's cool being able to hear the contestant talk, if you understand their language.

As much as I enjoy the slow fancy curving shots, I fucking love when they rocket one down to knock a bunch of other stones out of the way.

ElvenshaeKane Red RobePeenXaquin3cl1ps3AbdhyiusfacetiousMortal SkytynicMegaMan001Cellonever dieNeveron
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I enjoy curling because it's the one sport that the entire team can be in their late 40's, and still be medal contenders. Makes me believe that if I were to start curling right now in my mid-30's, and practiced reeeeeeallly hard, I might make the team, and win a gold medal.

Note: I will never make it.

MagellKane Red RobefurlionCellonever die
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Wouldn't blood doping help a lot though? Just by making the breathing more efficient and easier for both parts?

As a general rule I just assume that at Olympic level things are rife with doping. We keep catching it, for one. And in cases like this year where "oh noes the Russians are the baddies"....and all these other countries stayed competitive vs Russian doping without doping? Must be some real good clean living and vitamins regimins going on.

The major difference is that most athletes are doping but having to do it carefully because their national testing agency isn't directly colluding with them, whereas in some nations the national agency is working with the athletes in state supported or tacitly accepted doping.

The idea that the Russians are doping baddies battling against the natty heroes of the West is absolutely ridiculous though, yes

Blake T
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I'm a sucker for the start of any sledding event. A bunch of people yelling and cheering the athlete(s) on as they're pushing the sled. It just looks and sounds like an awesome environment

Elvenshaefacetiousnever die
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I keep saying its not authentic curling if they aren't consuming mugs of beer

Cellotinwhiskers
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Team USA didn't look as good in the gold medal game. The offense didn't control the zone and throw a ton of shots like they did in the first game. And some really lackluster power plays did not help thinks either.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Team USA didn't look as good in the gold medal game. The offense didn't control the zone and throw a ton of shots like they did in the first game. And some really lackluster power plays did not help thinks either.

Going down 2-0 in the first and 3-0 by midway through the 2nd is a tough hole to climb out of.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Magell3cl1ps3
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I'm trying to move to somewhere in the vicinity of either Baltimore or the DC-Baltimore suburbs in the next few months to a year, and it turns out one of the only dedicated curling rinks in the Mid-Atlantic is in said suburbs

There is an ice rink nearby here in central VA that does curling on a general ice rink too, I've recently learned

Which is all to say, I could be tempted to try curling in the near future

Mortal Sky on
    ElvenshaefacetiousPeenCarpyTynnanSorceDouglasDangerXaquinCelloZonugalnever dieAntoshka
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    So just to recap the Kamila Valieva situation:

- She is positively tested in December, but the lab doesn't report it
    - She helps the team win gold
    - The lab finally reports it
    - The IOC suspends her
    - The IOC lets her compete, but won't let her medal if she wins, and won't let the other medalists onto the platform either if she medals at all
    - Everyone is like "what the actual fuck"
    - "It may cause irreparable harm" to not let her compete
    - The news causes the world to hate this child with no control over what anyone is putting into her body
    - She continues with the knowledge that everyone wants to see her eat shit
    - She faceplants multiple times in her final performance and comes in fourth

So the IOC gets to make it's insane decision and not bear any consequences for it since she didn't medal, in the meantime fucking traumatizing a girl by "letting" her compete in front of the whole world that wants to see her eat shit on the ice.

At least there was no irreparable harm done, good job guys really good work.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    MagellfacetiousTynnanPeenElvenshaeLadaiCellohonoverenever dieKane Red Robe
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The corruption seems especially brazen this year.

facetiousTynnanCarpyBionicPenguinPeenDoodmannMan in the MistsElvenshaetynicDouglasDangerLabelMegaMan001CellohonovereZonugalnever dieSleep
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Which honestly is saying a fucking lot.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    BhowBionicPenguinPeenMan in the MistsElvenshaeSporkAndrewDouglasDangerMegaMan001CelloZonugalnever dieSleep
    edited February 2022
    In light of the Olympic Skating Scandal, I decided to watch footage of the 2002 Olympic pairs skate, and even though the footage comes from NBC, and the crowd is mostly American, the reaction to the judges is completely organic and not manufactured after the fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjY_LtNtVDc&ab_channel=3Axel1996

Muzzmuzz on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    There's a woman that's doing the narrator/voice work that talks over clips of the athletes for NBC, and she sounds familiar but I haven't been able to place her. Then, out of the blue I realized; it's everybody's favorite space racist, Ashley Williams.

Neat that Kimberly Brooks is doing that.

sig.gif
    JedocElvenshaeKane Red RobePeen
    For a moment, I was trying to figure out why you’d be happy that a racist was narrating on tv, until the Mass Effect connection clicked in.

Elvenshae
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Every Olympics makes me want to sport, but in particular... think I'm gonna try to learn downhill skiing next year

I've been working hard on cross-country skate skiing this year, which seems to take multiple seasons to master, and my coach said downhill's actually a little easier starting out since there's much less technique (especially if you've gotten used to having ski feet)

It's also a common social thing here to go skiing so it could mean fun Après Ski adventures

....not gonna try and replicate Big Air, though

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    XaquinTynnanCarpySorceSolarMagellAbdhyiusnever die3cl1ps3facetiousElvenshaeDouglasDangerSleepJedoc
    Cello wrote: »
    You can do it, I believe in you.

sig.gif
    Magell
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm trying big air tomorrow. We've got a big pot of gigantes in the oven already.

Cello
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Every Olympics makes me want to sport, but in particular... think I'm gonna try to learn downhill skiing next year

I've been working hard on cross-country skate skiing this year, which seems to take multiple seasons to master, and my coach said downhill's actually a little easier starting out since there's much less technique (especially if you've gotten used to having ski feet)

It's also a common social thing here to go skiing so it could mean fun Après Ski adventures

if you've been doing cross-country skiing, then I would recommend trying out, if you can, telemark skiing as well as regular slalom skis

since the main thing with telemark is that your heel is free, like with normal skis, which makes moving them feel rather natural if you're used to having, well, ski feet

I've tried it on occasion and, honestly, never quite got to the point where I felt like I got any benefit from doing that telemark turn, apart from the fact that it feels pretty cool.

They're also great for being like, hm, that peak up there that looks nice, I want to go down that, because if you put some... skins? is that what you call the furry things you slap underneath skis? on them you can use telemark skis to walk up any hill you feel like going down. So great for backcountry.

or, well, I did just realize that telemark skiing is kind of dead these days. (a shame, it's fun!) But for being able to actually go places with them, randonee skis do the exact same thing.

(I'm norwegian, so a bit of me has always been like, yes this alpine centre is nice and all, but there's really too many people around)

ftOqU21.png
    Cello
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Freeze my dick off once, shame on you.
    Freeze my dick off twice …

never dieDoctor DetroitElaroKane Red RobeMan in the MistsKwoaruMagellPeenDark Raven X
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Got a handy from ol' Jack Frost.

Man in the MistsOdin
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Friends call me Snow Miser
    What ever I touch
    Turns to snow in my clutch
    I'm too much!

ElvenshaeFencingsaxNeveron
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    warm dick slows you down

XaquinMagell
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Well, that's one way your dick can fall off and you can slip on it.

Shame it didn't happen to someone that deserved it.

Children's rights are human rights.
    ElvenshaeTynnan
    Today I learned that

Pretty much all official competition level curling stones, about two thirds of all stones in the world, are made by one company and come from the same place.

Ailsa Craig, a small uninhabited island off the Scottish coast. It's a bird sanctuary and there is n machinery or even electricity on it.

Kays of Scotland is allowed to "harvest" granite here every few years. No blasting work is allowed.

The stone itself is a kind of granite called Ailsite which absorbs only very little water making it resistant to repeated freezes and thaws without shattering.

Xaquinnever dietynicSnicketysnickSporkAndrewDouglasDangerBionicPenguinSleepElvenshaeTynnanCelloDark Raven XAntoshka3cl1ps3IronKnuckle's GhostEtiowsafacetiousSorceMan in the MistsJedoc
    edited February 2022
    Quite a few people have tried to go and put up routes on that island but the problem isn't that its hard to get to, or stormy and remote, the problem is that everything is covered in layer upon layer of birdshit, climbing on birdshit being both dangerous and horrible

Solar on
    QuantumTurkJayKaosElvenshaeTynnanCelloOdintynic3cl1ps3facetiousSorceMan in the MistsJedocDoodmann
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    *laughs in Maturin*

MechMantis

if you've been doing cross-country skiing, then I would recommend trying out, if you can, telemark skiing as well as regular slalom skis

since the main thing with telemark is that your heel is free, like with normal skis, which makes moving them feel rather natural if you're used to having, well, ski feet

I've tried it on occasion and, honestly, never quite got to the point where I felt like I got any benefit from doing that telemark turn, apart from the fact that it feels pretty cool.

They're also great for being like, hm, that peak up there that looks nice, I want to go down that, because if you put some... skins? is that what you call the furry things you slap underneath skis? on them you can use telemark skis to walk up any hill you feel like going down. So great for backcountry.

or, well, I did just realize that telemark skiing is kind of dead these days. (a shame, it's fun!) But for being able to actually go places with them, randonee skis do the exact same thing.

(I'm norwegian, so a bit of me has always been like, yes this alpine centre is nice and all, but there's really too many people around)

These are fun tips, thank you!!

Steam
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I understand that randonee is even being made into an olympic winter sport.

(Incidentally, skate skiing is, in my opinion, a lot harder that classical skiing.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Cello

(Incidentally, skate skiing is, in my opinion, a lot harder that classical skiing.)

Yeah, I picked it up because I needed an outdoor sport during covid to make me leave the house, and also because it was supposed to be the more intense cardio version of Classic, and I was like hey, I love a good intense sport!! And I know how to ice skate, the dynamics seem similar!!!!

...two seasons in and I am just now being able to move forward on flat terrain... (though technically last year I sorta just flailed around based on a single coach appointment because covid cancelled all the close/safer options, so, more like a season and a half)

It's fun to learn and I'm excited to hopefully be able to see some cool trails eventually, but for now I'm basically just dropping into a municipal training area that reopened this year. It operates as a running track in the summer, and a ski track in the winter, which is pretty neat!

At the very least with downhill, gravity will do most of the work for you... one way or the other...

Steam
    And as far as I remember going uphill on downhill ski is kinda similar to skate ski but probably easier because your ski are shorter.

Cello
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022

Yeah, I picked it up because I needed an outdoor sport during covid to make me leave the house, and also because it was supposed to be the more intense cardio version of Classic, and I was like hey, I love a good intense sport!! And I know how to ice skate, the dynamics seem similar!!!!

...two seasons in and I am just now being able to move forward on flat terrain... (though technically last year I sorta just flailed around based on a single coach appointment because covid cancelled all the close/safer options, so, more like a season and a half)

It's fun to learn and I'm excited to hopefully be able to see some cool trails eventually, but for now I'm basically just dropping into a municipal training area that reopened this year. It operates as a running track in the summer, and a ski track in the winter, which is pretty neat!

At the very least with downhill, gravity will do most of the work for you... one way or the other...

Yeah, skate skiing is more intensive than classical. Also requires a better prepared track (and as a corollary can't be used off-piste). And is (in my opinion) harder to learn. But is much faster than classical.

Regardless of style, once the snow's gone you can switch to roller skis. The hard-core skiers do that here, but it feels suicidal in the rather hilly terrain here; there are no brakes, and if you fall you'll land on asphalt, not soft snow.

Should be fine if it's perfectly level, though.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Cello
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Freeze my dick off once, shame on you.
    Freeze my dick off twice …
    Three times is a fetish, though.

sig.gif
    ElvenshaeJedoc
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Spanish figure skater popped for doping

Figure Skating the Oly Weightlifting of the Winter Games it seems

ElvenshaeKane Red Robe3cl1ps3Cello
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    This week's Bugle coined the word "shard-on," so I think this story has really captured the global imagination.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    CelloMan in the Mists
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    This week's Bugle coined the word "shard-on," so I think this story has really captured the global imagination.

Is that like

a poop thing?