As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker! patch 6.2 out

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
edited September 2022 in Social Entropy++
Past the far edge of fate
Ring blades of dark and light
Tolling the coming of the end

to6o9mhh4799.jpg

Cinematic trailer, some spoilers if you're not caught up to the end of the current expansion:
https://youtu.be/9sEINMGorTE
Job action trailer, shiny ability graphics for the... 19? combat jobs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCVcgZ8dtD0

Final Fantasy 14! It's an MMORPG. It plays a lot like WoW, with a much greater focus on a JRPG-style linear main story with what I think is relatively good writing. MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV now has a free trial consisting of A Realm Reborn plus the award-winning first expansion, Heavensward, with no time restriction. Unfortunately you lose access to the free trial if you have ever subscribed on that account, so returning players still have to pay.

Endwalker won't be the final expansion, but it is the end of the current main story arc that has lasted since the start of A Realm Reborn, or really since the original 1.0 back in 2010. Whatever they're doing with the story next will be explored in the post-release patches over the next 2 years.

The expansion also features male Viera and two new jobs:
Sage is a healer which fights with independently flying magic bits that shoot lasers and shield allies.

kcl8u5mas4tj.png

Reaper is a melee damage dealer that fights with a scythe and uses a summoned demon as a Jojo stand.

2ylewsjzv6z61.png

Benchmark/character creator preview, with male Viera:
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

BahamutZERO.gif
A duck! on

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    [spoilier]
    It's real good.
    [/b}

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm at the point where my main job is geared up from the normal raid and I can just casually level a couple other jobs through a roulette or two a day. I don't think I'll unsubscribe because this is still a regular hangout activity for me and some friends, but it's definitely no longer my main gaming priority

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm at the point where my main job is geared up from the normal raid and I can just casually level a couple other jobs through a roulette or two a day. I don't think I'll unsubscribe because this is still a regular hangout activity for me and some friends, but it's definitely no longer my main gaming priority

Playing games when they are fun and have things you want to do, and stopping playing them when that no longer is the case is a pretty healthy way to engage with the form of entertainment and it is nice that there are some MMO options out there that don't have to take over your life. I've heard that Guildwars 2 is in somewhat a similar situation and that it can be a fun thing to play through until you are no longer having fun.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ya it's largely settled into the background for me. My partner and I run daily roulettes when we can. I'm halfway to omnicrafter just doing dailies. I'm still trying to PUG my way through P3S but only putting a few hours a week into it because I'm playing a lot more WoW, and I think I would burn out if I went harder (I might burn out going this hard because that fight is FFFFFUUU in PF -- any bored statics need a melee fill in?? I promise I'm good.) I'm gonna stay subbed (I have a house now so like) but I'm probably not playing a ton until 6.1, and even then it'll be light until 6.2.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am working on getting all my alt characters to Grand Company rank of LT. so I can get Free Company rooms for them all. Gonna have lots of space to decorate when I am done.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Playing games when they are fun and have things you want to do, and stopping playing them when that no longer is the case is a pretty healthy way to engage with the form of entertainment and it is nice that there are some MMO options out there that don't have to take over your life. I've heard that Guildwars 2 is in somewhat a similar situation and that it can be a fun thing to play through until you are no longer having fun.

Yeah this is actually why I kind of dislike the weekly tomestone cap being so low (or gear prices being high) for best in slot. A person that has a decent clear pace for savage is going to end up getting all of the raid drops they need, possibly on more than one job, before they accrue all the tomestones they need on a single job. And it was even worse before Endwalker!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    endwalker 3rd are scenario quest just failed because it dropped me into one of the button mashers without a warning

this quest is honestly horrendous holy shit

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    After playing Insomniac's Spider-Man games, I really want every game with button-mash QTEs to have the option to skip them or turn them into hold-the-button prompts.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    just from an accessibility standpoint it's weird that buttonmash qtes haven't aged out of the industry

liEt3nH.png
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The only good qte in ff14 is the one in cruise chaser, because 1) it is literally just one button press instead of having to mash, and 2) it's fun to play chicken by seeing how close to zero you can get without dying.

Every other qte is bad, please god stop putting them in the game.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    It also makes that moment in the Susano fight crazy cool for everyone EXCEPT the person actually doing the mechanic.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    nah its even cool then

I spam click that spot no matter what job i am.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    The only good qte in ff14 is the one in cruise chaser, because 1) it is literally just one button press instead of having to mash, and 2) it's fun to play chicken by seeing how close to zero you can get without dying.

Every other qte is bad, please god stop putting them in the game.

counterpoint:

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Ok yeah, I forgot about that one, it can stay too.

Still not a fan of the button mashing, but in this case it's cool enough for an exception.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I did a thing!
    FK-NVNYX0AMsddk?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    congrats!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    you just go aadfasdfasdf and win more or less

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    for qtes i mean, But also hesperos

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    edited February 2022
    learning you could mash every button at once and they all count rather than just one or clicking the GUI button made the QTEs all much more trivial yes

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    That work for controller?

I mean, I could always hold CTRL and mash my face on the keyboard too.

I assume it works the same on controller but I haven't tried it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Having to plan and play around the log in queues for several weeks while also pushing myself to keep playing longer than I should have each day to try and get through the MSQ before spoilers went rampant definitely broke something for me, and a lot of my FC members too I think.

I'm logging in to do my normal raids each week but other than that I barely feel any desire to play.

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited February 2022
    my normal play pattern is however long it takes to finish the current main content+ a month or so of regular daily play then a sharp drop off until the next patch, unless I get involved in raiding but I usually don't. If there's a long content gap I might do something grindy in the middle like Bozja or Eureka.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Five seconds after getting Fun Dun Scaith in the roulette:

nu60g01frnvc.png

Just one wipe on the first boss! I was expecting more.

Then I ended up being, in addition to healing my own alliance, the solo healer for alliance A a non-insignificant part of the time.

atoqymx8mo46.png

lol

BahamutZERO.gif
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Dun scaith the alliance raid that makes you realize that most healers never put esuna on their bars

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Level 83 MSQ spoilers
    And now I'm finally past this solo duty for the last time. It got easier with practice and foreknowledge of where the key items are, but still took a while.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    imgur thinks that is Adult Content. Grats.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I noticed that upon reloading it, it pops up the warning for an instant then removes it because I'm logged in to my account, but if I load it on a browser that's not logged in to imgur it pops up that warning. It also did that for an earlier screenshot album I made, without my flagging it as such. I'm not sure what the automated bots are picking up. Usually I'd inline a gifv, but the video file is 3.6 MB.

SabreMau on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    the more I play drk the more I think TBN needs its mp cost removed. heart of corundrum is right there and it's free.

I also installed a ui that turns my mp bar into thirds, which makes me wonder why drk uses mp at all instead of its own resource build up.

edited February 2022
    just to be different flavor from warrior
    and because they have another different bar resource too
    though that doesn't stop reaper from having 2 bars and not using MP so shrug

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    just to be different flavor from warrior
    and because they have another different bar resource too
    though that doesn't stop reaper from having 2 bars and not using MP so shrug

DRK was designed before they had other non-resource jobs, so they could redesign it to do that, which is fine, but it's a relic from when it was created.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    With DRK's first design, it had a mode that constantly slowly drained MP, so the more granular nature of the MP bar worked well.

It hasn't had that for a while, though.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Remember that thing where the devs kinda-sorta said "if you get kicked from the queue, check your internet connection"?

Well, they are technically right, FFXIV is really sensitive to poor connection... but that's on their end, and I have never seen any other game so sensitive to it. Turns out I can't download stuff on Steam without getting disconnected every five minutes unless I throttle Steam to like 50% of my bandwidth.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Echo wrote: »
    Remember that thing where the devs kinda-sorta said "if you get kicked from the queue, check your internet connection"?

Well, they are technically right, FFXIV is really sensitive to poor connection... but that's on their end, and I have never seen any other game so sensitive to it. Turns out I can't download stuff on Steam without getting disconnected every five minutes unless I throttle Steam to like 50% of my bandwidth.

Well it turns out that the reason people had been getting kicked mid-queue was that the game would drop and restart your connection every 15 or 30 mins (can't remember exactly what the interval was). So if the queue was full when your connection was reset you would get kicked.

There was an old reddit post where somebody wrote up a thing about it after monitoring the network traffic in Wireshark. I guess they saw that statement the dev team put out and went "that sounds like bullshit. something else is going on"

They've since fixed that issue.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Jars wrote: »
    the more I play drk the more I think TBN needs its mp cost removed. heart of corundrum is right there and it's free.

I also installed a ui that turns my mp bar into thirds, which makes me wonder why drk uses mp at all instead of its own resource build up.

DRK needs a SMN-scale revamp. Or MNK-scale at a minimum.

Step 1 is figure out a DPS gimmick that's not just Warrior Again.

WAR has its meter that it can spend 50 points at a time to do a big attack, plus a mode that lets them use it for free for a bit.
    PLD has spells, and a buff that lets them cast for free, plus a big combo finisher spam attack.
    GNB has cartridges, which can be spent on a spammy Continuation combo whenever it's up.

DRK is the only one really cribbing from another job in such a 1:1 way. It needs something unique to it. Maybe it could be like a melee version of BLM, and cycle between spending big on MP for attacks, and swapping to draining MP to get ready for the next spend fest. But that's just one idea.

Step 2 is figure out a defense gimmick that doesn't take away from its DPS. Something like TBN should either have its own resource, or be resource neutral. I wouldn't at all mind it having a longer cooldown in exchange for it not feeling like something I can only use on tankbusters.

TBN should just be a regular cooldown and they should make it more powerful. It's super weird that they gave every other class a busted version of TBN while leaving TBN exactly the same as it was.

I think there are a lot of potential directions to go with DRK. I know in the past they had Dark Arts, which people either loved or hated, but I've seen it described as a faster/clunkier Eukrasia so that'd be a fine direction to go. They could also be more proc based, since there's nothing like that for tanks.

TBN is resource neutral in content hard enough for optimizing DPS to matter IE stuff where the boss can actually break your shield reliably

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't even know how to fix drk. rolling oblation into TBN and removing the mp cost would help, but I have no idea how to make edge of shadow and bloodspiller more interesting.

This discussion has been closed.