As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker! patch 6.2 out

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Stray thoughts/questions as I've been leveling DPS jobs up to 50:

Dragoon: Finally gets a good 1st/2nd combo at like 46 when it gets the DoT jab after the damage buff jab, and another oGCD jump that does AOE damage. Not sure where it goes from here.

Monk: Also finally gets a full 1st/2nd 3-hit combo around 50. However looking ahead it looks like I've not unlocked the crazy meta stuff with sun and moon chakras and stances.

Ninja: I really like the flexibility of mudras. Although when I unlocked the third one, despite giving me 4 new combos (the new 2 mudra one and all the 3 mudra ones) only two seemed useful: Huton and the one that lets me fake-Hide. Are the others used at all? The ice one has less potency than Raiton and a debuff that seems like it'd only be useful on bosses that are likely immune to it. And the AoE DoT I've laid down a few times but I suspect just doing my fire bomb is more effective.
    I have questions about my rotation but I think it changes a lot very soon, I see a lot of skills that give/extend Huton, so I'm thinking I don't need to cast it with Mudras generally?
    Kassatsu: lets me execute a ninjutsu without expending the mudras. I assume I set up Raiton, hit this, then Raiton twice?

Bard: Actually a few levels past 50 now, you get the 3rd song at 52. I think that made the difference, and getting their short-cooldown oGCD big damage arrow shot. Before that it was not enough to do between waiting for Straight Shot to proc. Maybe also getting an MMO mouse so hitting Straight Shot and the oGCD shot wasn't as awkward. I guess they're the weirdos that don't have a 3-hit basic combo.

Machinist: Do they ever hold their gun right? Spread Shot is just sweeping a musketoon-looking gun right to left one handed, which looks stupid. They don't seem to have any offhand equipment, why don't they hold their rifle like a rifle? Or make the models look more like a handgun? Anyways, I like them other than that. I'm only level 40 here so I don't have a whole lot going on yet. When I hypercharge, it seems like I should Heat Blast/Gauss Round as much as I can for the duration, instead of trying to fit in my regular rotation?

Once I finish Machinist I'll either do BLM+Healers or Tanks (PLD and DRK, WAR is already high level)

Doton's DOT is stronger than Katon's AOE if something is standing in it the whole time. You drop the Doton, and then you use Katon afterwards.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Ninja: I really like the flexibility of mudras. Although when I unlocked the third one, despite giving me 4 new combos (the new 2 mudra one and all the 3 mudra ones) only two seemed useful: Huton and the one that lets me fake-Hide. Are the others used at all? The ice one has less potency than Raiton and a debuff that seems like it'd only be useful on bosses that are likely immune to it. And the AoE DoT I've laid down a few times but I suspect just doing my fire bomb is more effective.
    I have questions about my rotation but I think it changes a lot very soon, I see a lot of skills that give/extend Huton, so I'm thinking I don't need to cast it with Mudras generally?
    Kassatsu: lets me execute a ninjutsu without expending the mudras. I assume I set up Raiton, hit this, then Raiton twice?

Ninja is about dumping all of your cooldowns into the Trick Attack/Mug debuff window every 60/120 seconds and doing pretty fuck all in between. This is the standard 2-minute window at level 90 for Ninja, for example.

You will never use Hyoton, if you do it's only because you messed up in some way. After 76 however you will need to recall the combination for it, as Hyosho Ranryu shares the same Mudra order.

Suiton is critically important as the start of your 60 second rotation as it enables you to use Trick Attack and Meisui in combat. Trick Attack requires the hidden status, but you will never use Hide itself except to reset your Mudra cooldowns out of combat, so this is where Suiton comes in.

Doton you only want to use against 3 or more targets and only if those targets will be alive for the full duration of Doton.

Armor Crush/Hakke will be your main method of keeping Huton up in combat, Huraijin you only want to use for recovery(e.g. if you die).

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    From what I understand they rebalance levelling every expansion so it takes roughly the same amount of time to level from 1 to cap as it did before.

There's a bit of weirdness as a consequence of this, such as not being able to access a bunch of skills you technically have the level for, because they're locked behind job quests you can't do until you reach the relevant expansion.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

Dragoon doesn't have its full single-target combo until like 64 and I think doesn't get its burst phase until 70. It's a really late bloomer. (Paladin is even worse; it doesn't even begin to resemble itself until 68.)

For Ninja: Doton (the ground AoE) is used against multiple enemies as long as they're stationary and will live long enough. The two-mudra CC ninjutsu is currently worthless but you eventually get a trait that makes it your strongest single-target option under Kassatsu. Every ninjutsu is used except Fuma Shuriken, although Huton as you noticed is basically pre-pull only and never needs to be cast in combat. With Kassatsu, you cast it before any of your mudras (potentially a long time before; the buff lasts longer than you'd expect). I think you bunny out if you use any non-mudra button between your first mudra and the trigger.

Bard at 52 is really solid, yeah. If Paladin is the latest blooming class, Ninja and Bard are probably among the earliest-blooming ones. No combos at all on Bard, just procs, which I personally like a lot (I find rote 1-2-3 combos to be a pointless waste of prime hotkey real estate).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    There's a youtuber named WeskAlber who creates exhaustively detailed and newbie friendly job guides. Not only going really into what your abilities do, but also how it effects your playstyle and rotations as you level up.

His current ninja one is pre-6.1(and notes the patch changes in the description), but the gist is still pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uby5VR-Vhuw&feature=emb_logo

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oh that's a confusing acronym

What not just say story quest?

Anyway yeah I'm like overwleveled for the story quests it feels like so far

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Oh that's a confusing acronym

What not just say story quest?

Anyway yeah I'm like overwleveled for the story quests it feels like so far

cause there are other quests with stories in them, so this delineates which story quests.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    I guess that's true, puts more emphasis on the "side quests" not being necessarily less important or entertaining I suppose.

I just don't like using the just three letters I guess but I am kind of a bloviating jackass

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

Dragoon doesn't have its full single-target combo until like 64 and I think doesn't get its burst phase until 70. It's a really late bloomer. (Paladin is even worse; it doesn't even begin to resemble itself until 68.)

For Ninja: Doton (the ground AoE) is used against multiple enemies as long as they're stationary and will live long enough. The two-mudra CC ninjutsu is currently worthless but you eventually get a trait that makes it your strongest single-target option under Kassatsu. Every ninjutsu is used except Fuma Shuriken, although Huton as you noticed is basically pre-pull only and never needs to be cast in combat. With Kassatsu, you cast it before any of your mudras (potentially a long time before; the buff lasts longer than you'd expect). I think you bunny out if you use any non-mudra button between your first mudra and the trigger.

Bard at 52 is really solid, yeah. If Paladin is the latest blooming class, Ninja and Bard are probably among the earliest-blooming ones. No combos at all on Bard, just procs, which I personally like a lot (I find rote 1-2-3 combos to be a pointless waste of prime hotkey real estate).

Bard, or more accurately archer I suppose, does have that really bad patch where they don't get any new abilities from like lvl12 to 26 or something like that, other than a basic "do more damage" trait.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yeah, you get your AOE spam ability at... 18? I think? And then literally nothing else until level 30.

BRD imo starts to feel decent at level 54-56 when you get Empyreal Arrow followed by Iron Jaws, though EA kinda needs the level 68 trait to really feel impactful (before that it's just a random extra damage button with a short CD). At this point you have your whole rotation, basically, minus apex/blast arrow for your burst window, and can actually see how the song cycle works.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    That spammable AoE at 18 is low key OP though, the ranged DPS classes are basically the champions at clearing low level dungeons fast because of those buttons.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    They REALLY should flip flop Wanderer's and Battle voice so you have all three songs when you get synced to lvl50 stuff.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    They might leave those as they are because those abilities are from job quests, they seem very hesitant to move abilities from quests around generally. Like machinist's quests don't quite make sense anymore because they got rid of the AOE autoturret.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    They might leave those as they are because those abilities are from job quests, they seem very hesitant to move abilities from quests around generally. Like machinist's quests don't quite make sense anymore because they got rid of the AOE autoturret.

Doesn't one of the early machinist quest still reference bullets and ammo, despite those mechanics not existing anymore?

• Options
    They really took a hatchet to mch's abilities in shadowbringers, which I think was for the best, but yeah their old job quests don't quite line up with their abilities anymore

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I imagine summoner's quest is similarly out of whack

• Options
    Yeah summoner got reworked and pruned down even harder

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MCH rework was great though. Having an endless bucket of weapons you keep pulling shit out of is exactly what the class should be.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Doing the MNK quests post Stormblood, Shadowbringers, and Endwalker sure felt very very out of place. Those quests would have been great to play through during Stormblood, but massive political in game changes sure make them lose the majority of their impact and relevancy.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Doing the MNK quests post Stormblood, Shadowbringers, and Endwalker sure felt very very out of place. Those quests would have been great to play through during Stormblood, but massive political in game changes sure make them lose the majority of their impact and relevancy.

Yeah, it's worth remembering that all job quests theoretically happen concurrently to the events of that expansion. It's also an issue for DRG, I don't think other jobs run into the issue as much though.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

Bard, or more accurately archer I suppose, does have that really bad patch where they don't get any new abilities from like lvl12 to 26 or something like that, other than a basic "do more damage" trait.
    If having a filler GCD, an RNG proc, a DoT, a 15-second oGCD, and your primary AoE ability is a "dry spell" in ARR, then sign me the heck up. Most other classes in that level range are pressing 12121212 until their hands fall off.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Eventually you get a trait that makes Kassatsu make the Ice ninjutsu gain a huge potency buff if you use the freebie cast on it. Until then, no its a dead ability. The wind one, you eventually get abilities to extend the buff duration, so ideally you'll only ever cast it once at the start of the boss fight. There's also a weapon skill that applies the buff in the 90s? I haven't leveled NIN past 80 at all yet though so idk how that fits in the rotation really.

Hurajin is in the 50-60 range.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

If having a filler GCD, an RNG proc, a DoT, a 15-second oGCD, and your primary AoE ability is a "dry spell" in ARR, then sign me the heck up. Most other classes in that level range are pressing 12121212 until their hands fall off.

DRG is infamously bad about it, in fact.

More classes need to get full combos and options sooner, with upgrades coming out as you level (reduced costs, added functionality, etc). Mudra on NIN are a good example since each new sign adds options. WAR does a great job of iterating on Beast Within. First the upgrade to Fell Cleave, then Berserk upgrades to Inner Release and removes costs during it, then you get Nascent Chaos to upgrade Infuriate. No new buttons, just new functions that remove restrictions and let you swing your axe for massive damage more often and for more damage.

• Options
    Drg is short for doctor goon right

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    The one thing I miss about old MCH is the reload animation, and a lot (most) of the weapon models actually having a break action or cylinder or such for it. Wish they could fit that back in somewhere.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    The one thing I miss about old MCH is the reload animation, and a lot (most) of the weapon models actually having a break action or cylinder or such for it. Wish they could fit that back in somewhere.

First priority though is letting us hide the ammo box. Or having the damn thing get skins, it's ridiculous - it's the exact same model on baby's first peashooter as it is on relics or ultimate weapons.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

First priority though is letting us hide the ammo box. Or having the damn thing get skins, it's ridiculous - it's the exact same model on baby's first peashooter as it is on relics or ultimate weapons.

Yeah BRD getting a unique quiver for most weapons while MCH always has the same lunchbox always annoyed me. At least it dyes if the gun does.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    By the way, the housing auction fix is active as of last monday. If you got a bidder 0 result on your lottery, go check it again. New bidding on open plots will begin on the... 23rd I think? And any unclaimed won plots will go back into the pool at that point.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    when will someone come and speak to the dozens of rp'ers we have on aether

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    By the way, the housing auction fix is active as of last monday. If you got a bidder 0 result on your lottery, go check it again. New bidding on open plots will begin on the... 23rd I think? And any unclaimed won plots will go back into the pool at that point.

The Free Company I'm in got a house! All my crafting and gathering skills are too low to really contribute to furnishing stuff yet, but I bought the chocobo stable and have gotten my chocobo's feathers colored to better match their name (Cinnamon).

Once I've got all my crafting jobs up to at least 50 or 60, then I'll start working on decorating my room. Dungeon drops with room stuff can happen as soon as you've got a room, right?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    How much does a house cost now, anyway
    I'm almost to 2 million, I assume that's not enough even to bid

• Options
    edited May 2022
    3-3.75 million for a small plot, depending on where it is.

And another million+ for the actual building I think? And then whatever furnishings cost.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Oh winning the lottery doesn't even come with the house? lol

• Options
    yeah, just the land to build on

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    how else is Lalafell Mike Holmes supposed to make his money

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    How much does a house cost now, anyway
    I'm almost to 2 million, I assume that's not enough even to bid

I came right here from the SE++ House thread and was very confused for a moment

I was like "the housing market is pretty fucked but I don't think it's that bad"

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    3-3.75 million for a small plot, depending on where it is.

And another million+ for the actual building I think? And then whatever furnishings cost.

Personal rooms are $300k, which is less than an apartment but you don't get a refund or anything if you leave the Free Company or if the FC abandons the plot.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Officially into Shadowbringers

My feelings on XIV thus far have been:
    ARR - Better than I expected, but didn't blow my skirt up.
    Heavensward - Quite liked it. Interesting setting, interesting story, lotta fun characters, I dug it a lot.
    Stormblood - A slight step back in how interesting I found the setting, and the pacing of the story got real dodgy in places, but some of the highs were high enough that I'd put the pack on the level of HW overall.

With that context, holy smokes, Shadowbringers rules. It comes out of the gate so hard and so confidently, the new settings are great, the environmental music is easily my favorite thus far, wow what a step up for a game I was already enjoying

This discussion has been closed.