As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker! patch 6.2 out

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Those are precisely my feelings as well.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ahm Areng theme still the GOAT

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed FFXIV from ARR-SB, but ShB and EW's stories were just on another level for me. Kinda jealous of you and wish I could go through them for the first time again.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Still can't see the words "Ahm Areng" and not sing it to myself to the tune of The Beach Boy's "Barbra Anne"

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Every now and then I'll catch myself mumbling the lyrics, "One brings shadow, one brings light, two toned echoes tumbling through time--" and I'll just keep going all the way through into the chorus. Easily my favorite theme song of the series.

Madican on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Ahm Areng theme still the GOAT

So glad I went to that zone first when the choice came up.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    How much does a house cost now, anyway
    I'm almost to 2 million, I assume that's not enough even to bid
    Small Plots
    Fifth-class 3,000,000
    Fourth-class 3,187,500
    Third-class 3,375,000
    Second-class 3,562,500
    First-class 3,750,000

Medium Plots
    Fifth-class 16,000,000
    Fourth-class 17,000,000
    Third-class 18,000,000
    Second-class 19,000,000
    First-class 20,000,000

Large Plots
    Fifth-class 40,000,000
    Fourth-class 42,500,000
    Third-class 45,000,000
    Second-class 47,500,000
    First-class 50,000,000
    After buying the land, initial house construction is 450,000 for Small, 1,000,000 for Medium, and 3,000,000 for Large. And after that comes the cost of any decorations you want to install.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I have like 15mil stashed away, through very casual play. The only housing problem is availability.

I don't even have any specific I need to spend my gil on, I tend to buy gear from the MB when I'm soft-locked from content, but that only happens once every half year.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    I'm sitting on about 48mil at the moment with a small plot currently, and I just sit here debating with whether or not to go against astronomically small odds with bidding on a large and blowing all my money to boot, or just go for a medium and be content with that (assuming I got it)

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    I feel like the odds might even out a bit? There's less supply for the large ones, but more people who can afford the mediums.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    While the thread title is reminding us that April 12th is Patch 6.1, they just announced that next Tuesday is 6.11a, not 6.15. Going to have to wait a bit longer for further content adventures, apparently.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    While the thread title is reminding us that April 12th is Patch 6.1, they just announced that next Tuesday is 6.11a, not 6.15. Going to have to wait a bit longer for further content adventures, apparently.

It's fine, Steam backlog is keeping me busy. I'm playing through Chrono Trigger for the first time.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    as I understand it, as with all the content, different parts of the main story were handled by different writers, which is great for bringing in a lot of ideas to fill out a large fictional world, but could make things kind of unfocused

like the divided nature of stormblood is often partially blamed on two different people being in charge of handling ala mhigo and doma

shadowbringers, however, is when the current head writer for the msq became THE head writer for the msq, and while her writing isn't without its own problems, the singular authorial voice does wonders for telling a coherent story with consistent themes

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    as I understand it, as with all the content, different parts of the main story were handled by different writers, which is great for bringing in a lot of ideas to fill out a large fictional world, but could make things kind of unfocused

like the divided nature of stormblood is often partially blamed on two different people being in charge of handling ala mhigo and doma

shadowbringers, however, is when the current head writer for the msq became THE head writer for the msq, and while her writing isn't without its own problems, the singular authorial voice does wonders for telling a coherent story with consistent themes

There's definitely a tangible feeling of coherence and focus that comes through immediately.

There's this old saw about storytelling from, god, maybe the South Park toolbags? That's a bummer. Anyway, it's something like: A bad story is, "X happens, and then Y happens." A good story is, "Because X happens, Y happens."

Much of XIV's story has felt X and then Y, with the "because" explained retroactively if ever. In Shadowbringers, causal chains are feeling more immediate, characters are demonstrating a newfound ability to predict and attempt to avoid negative outcomes, it's all really good stuff.

Well, mostly really good. Spoilers for early Shadowbringers areas.
    I was in the rich people city, and there was a character that walked riiiiiight up to some fatphobic tropes, stopped just shy of fully leaning into them, still felt kinda dodgy. And then immediately I meet fuckin' Vauthry who might as well just be this

vs4k7745hr8r.png

Fuckin' yeesh

• Options
    yeah it's the south park assholes who said that, and it fucking sucks, because it's really good advice

I mostly know it from this
    https://youtu.be/yrwdBw4Gnuk

also
    yeah vauthry is really unfortunate

especially because he actually ends up being a lot of fun as a villain

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Yeah that character is by far the worst part of Shadowbringers. It's truly indefensible garbage, but XIV's story likes to make sure you get to see it shit itself once an expansion.

• Options
    Spoiler thoughts not for pooro until post shadowbringers first credits
    vauthry being a fat=evil character sucks. At least the other significant character with a non-skinny model is pretty wholesome, Dulia Chai is good. The other big negative I remember is the return of the zenos-like win-to-lose-in-a-cutscene fights with ran'jit. I didn't mind them myself but I remember a lot of people found them frustrating in the railroady lack of agency way. It probably would have helped if they had established more of a character or backstory for ran'jit to make it more believable that there's randomly just A Guy who can easily defeat the WoL and the scions working together post-stormblood, but I guess there wasn't time.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    vauthry being a fat=evil character sucks. At least the other significant character with a non-skinny model is pretty wholesome, Dulia Chai is good. The other big negative I remember is the return of the zenos-like win-to-lose-in-a-cutscene fights with ran'jit. I didn't mind them myself but I remember a lot of people found them frustrating in the railroady lack of agency way. It probably would have helped if they had established more of a character or backstory for ran'jit to make it more believable that there's randomly just A Guy who can easily defeat the WoL and the scions working together post-stormblood, but I guess there wasn't time.
    I was going to defend Vauthry as being more body horror than obesity, but I abandoned the argument mentally halfway through typing it up. Then I went to the wiki page for Vauthry and found out his design is likely an allusion to Don Corneo from FFVII, which I hadn't clocked before!

Delzhand on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I get that Vauthry's appearance is supposed to be visual shorthand for excess and debauchery, but surely there's another way to do that.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I assumed Vauthry was a Trump analogue.
    Gaudy gold everywhere, bad hair, rules with classism and false promises, wants to enslave the poor, spreads propaganda, has clowns working for him, only got where he is because of his parents, sees himself as a beautiful savior, etc.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Renzo wrote: »
    I get that Vauthry's appearance is supposed to be visual shorthand for excess and debauchery, but surely there's another way to do that.

Lounging in a giant pile of coins and treasure surrounded by barely-touched food. Like, takes one bite and throws the rest away.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I was going to defend Vauthry as being more body horror than obesity, but I abandoned the argument mentally halfway through typing it up. Then I went to the wiki page for Vauthry and found out his design is likely an allusion to Don Corneo from FFVII, which I hadn't clocked before!
    that feels like a stretch, I think Corneo and Vauthry are just both drawing from the same well of fat ugly bad guy stereotypes.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    End of 5.0
    vauhthy becoming sexy gets people every time

• Options
    you can go lore-digging to find out a little more about ran'jit's whole deal and it only makes me angrier that they didn't put more of that in the actual story!

just fucking tell us something, anything about the expansion tertiary antagonist, square!

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    End of 5.0
    whenever I pull that trial I comm whoever says The Line after the phase transition

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    End of 5.0
    whenever I pull that trial I comm whoever says The Line after the phase transition
    Don't be intimidated. Try to imagine him in his underwear.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    The temmietweet reminds me of how ff14 is advertised so completely different. "Come play 14, we have an amusement park and picking flowers!"

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Endwalker role capstone spoiler

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I met some lady and she talked about the echo or something for like five minutes

And everyone's names are weird

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    ...So where the fuck is the 6.15 patch?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »

Have you checked your butthole? (skeedap, badap, doowahp)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    they haven't done a live letter for it or anything as far as I know so I imagine it's still at least a couple weeks away

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Have you checked your butthole? (skeedap, badap, doowahp)

:O

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    (skeedap, badap, doowahp)

(hear, feel, think)

• Options
    I think acknowledging the existence of buttholes would utterly shatter ffxiv's setting

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I think acknowledging the existence of buttholes would utterly shatter ffxiv's setting

Imagine having to design a restroom to accommodate all the six races.

• Options
    The next round of housing plot auctions is live now

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.