As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I know I'm late, just finished watching the direct, but yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay XC3!

Other things are great, but all of it pales compared to another Xenoblade game to me.

Looks amazing too.

I'm guessing that means no XCX remaster or anything, but alas.

Anyway that's all the hype I need for the foreseeable future.

Unrelated, I'm really curious how they are getting No Man's Sky running on switch. Either Hello Games are fucking wizards, or it'll be suuuuuper low quality settings at an ungodly low frame rate, or it'll be cloud streaming. Seriously, the PS4 is more powerful than the Switch, and trying to play NMS on the base PS4 is an absolutely miserable experience.

Also I noticed a freighter design that isn't currently in the game, as far as I'm aware, I wonder if that was also a tease at some new freighter design, or further customization coming.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Ok, so this was probably one of the best Directs for me in a long time. So many games that I have to find out how I'm going to not only pay for, but have time to play:

Mario Kart DLC (48 Tracks!!!)
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3!!!! *faints again*
    Mario Strikers
    Switch Sports
    Splatoon 3
    Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp
    Horrible nightmare Kirby game
    Front Mission remake
    Klanoa Collection!

Plus Earthbound NSO update and Metroid Dread updates.

Such a phenomenal direct for me! :D

Yeah, I still love me some Mario Kart 8 so I'm pretty happy about that DLC.
    Mario Strikers looks like a whole lot of fun.
    Switch Sports is a no brainer. The missus will want the Switch permanently docked for that.
    I've never played Front Mission but I love me some stompy bots.

More in this Direct than there usually is for me.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    He said it ties together the futures of both worlds (fuck you in particular, X, I guess)

Yeah, you can definitely see blades in it.

Xenoblade 2 bits:
    No really, spoiler if you don't recognize Xenoblade 2 chars and know all the bits there.
    That looks like Nia? The mask makes me wonder what's going on though. And then that looks like her too accompanying the MC? By outfit I think it's her on the title? She's basically immortal, so it could be her, but...
    So I could see Nia coming over somehow but... at the end title, that's supposed to be Uraya's head next to the Mechonis blade. So that implies two worlds merging and who the fuck knows how that happens.

XC1 world is supposed to be a bunch of ether managed by Ontos (or maybe even a purely virtual simulation) so basically anything is possible within that world, especially if the Conduit sent a bunch of info from Orbit Station at the end of XC2. But I suppose it's equally possible that the Conduit could have dumped (or copied) XC1's titans onto Earth before it fucked off. Or maybe the world the nanotech was building the whole time was based on data streaming from XC1 world.

There are a bunch of XC2 weapons, but one thing I didn't see is avatars following drivers around. That's the essential mechanic of Blades in the XC2 world and maybe something they didn't bring over. So far we seem to have a party of four and all of them can become a lead character.

The other thing was a lack of Mechonis in their old form, Blades were kind of an iteration on that idea anyway so maybe they have evolved their appearance to be more humanlike now? Glowing hair party member lady could be one for instance.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Front Mission 3 is one of my favorite games.

I sunk a hundred or so hours in to the campaign and had a blast.

I went to replay it a few months later only to discover that the game a second hundred hour campaign with new characters, new battles and a different story!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    He said it ties together the futures of both worlds (fuck you in particular, X, I guess)

Yeah, you can definitely see blades in it.

Xenoblade 2 bits:
    No really, spoiler if you don't recognize Xenoblade 2 chars and know all the bits there.
    That looks like Nia? The mask makes me wonder what's going on though. And then that looks like her too accompanying the MC? By outfit I think it's her on the title? She's basically immortal, so it could be her, but...
    So I could see Nia coming over somehow but... at the end title, that's supposed to be Uraya's head next to the Mechonis blade. So that implies two worlds merging and who the fuck knows how that happens.

XC1 world is supposed to be a bunch of ether managed by Ontos (or maybe even a purely virtual simulation) so basically anything is possible within that world, especially if the Conduit sent a bunch of info from Orbit Station at the end of XC2. But I suppose it's equally possible that the Conduit could have dumped (or copied) XC1's titans onto Earth before it fucked off. Or maybe the world the nanotech was building the whole time was based on data streaming from XC1 world.

There are a bunch of XC2 weapons, but one thing I didn't see is avatars following drivers around. That's the essential mechanic of Blades in the XC2 world and maybe something they didn't bring over. So far we seem to have a party of four and all of them can become a lead character.

The other thing was a lack of Mechonis in their old form, Blades were kind of an iteration on that idea anyway so maybe they have evolved their appearance to be more humanlike now? Glowing hair party member lady could be one for instance.
    There's definitely a time gap. The rules for blades are malleable, since they were just set up by the Architect in the first place. No reason that the driver stuff couldn't have been reworked in the gap - it should be something within Pneuma's authority.

XC1 being merged back to Earth is plausible - a notable bit from it's ending is that the geography is dramatically different, and saltwater is novel to Reyn.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Strikers, Sports, and Kirby look great.

Still no silksong :(

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    For new announcements, I'm happy about Mario Strikers. The series was dormant for far too long and was always fun to play. Also interested in that Klonoa 1+2. Graphically it looks like a straight port of the Klonoa Wii remake (although I haven't played it since it was new so I could just be remembering wrong), but I enjoyed it and never played the sequel (only played the Wii version, never the Playstation titles).

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    All the good stuff in this Direct is giving me Switch FOMO; I see the price gouging has already being by Amazon resellers. I'm never getting one at MSRP, it seems

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

OK, I knew she wanted to see the Kirby trailer, but I didn't expect her to have us sprint to the car to watch the Direct. :lol:

When it was over, I asked her what games she liked the best and she said Kirby and Advance Wars?! That's my girl!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So no Zelda until late. Likely holiday release in November?

2023, yes

edit: beated!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Anyone who has never played Live-A-Live needs to do so.

However, I say this with hesitation along with the Chrono Cross Remaster given Square's history of completely disrespectful remasters.

Absolutely hyped for XC3 though.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Anyone who has never played Live-A-Live needs to do so.

However, I say this with hesitation along with the Chrono Cross Remaster given Square's history of completely disrespectful remasters.

Absolutely hyped for XC3 though.

I was going to check out the fan translation of Live A Live when I was reading about it recently but I guess I'll hold off!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Man... very torn on both Klonoa and Advance Wars re-releases. I think it's a completely positive thing for these great games to be available for people who haven't played them, but do I want to rebuy them when I completely wrung all 4 of them out for content the first time around? This would actually be my third time with Klonoa 1, since I gave the Wii re-release a try (I prefer the Ps1 version, but the Wii version is inoffensive).

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I may be like the only person who noticed this. But when they went from the star wars unleashed to AC Ezio rereleased, I couldn't help but think of Soul Calibur. Pretty sure the apprentice was one of the star wars guest characters in soul calibur 4, and Ezio was a guess in Soul Calibur 5. All they would have needed was a Nier Automata port for switch to complete that pattern.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    The JP Direct had Chocobo GP in it, wonder why they didn't have it in the NA one.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    The JP Direct had Chocobo GP in it, wonder why they didn't have it in the NA one.

probably because the mario kart stuff was in it, and they (probably correctly) think that chocobo kart isnt going to do great in NA.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

OK, I knew she wanted to see the Kirby trailer, but I didn't expect her to have us sprint to the car to watch the Direct. :lol:

When it was over, I asked her what games she liked the best and she said Kirby and Advance Wars?! That's my girl!

That sounds like a great way to reboot O.G.R.E. A huge military force vs one nigh unstoppable eating machine.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Switch Sports is a huge thing, and I can already see the bundles for this holiday season with it.

It could actually be an interesting ifferentiator between the Switch Lite and the Switch (Prime?). Lite is smaller, cheaper, designed for portable play, but buy the switch and you can play it on a TV and get a free copy of Switch Sports. Really interesting potential there.

I'm also very interested in the Mario Kart 8 tracks. If Nintendo's N64 emulation wasn't garbage it might actually have been enough for me to upgrade my online membership, since I do want to play a couple of those N64 games. I'm going to wait on either buying the DLC separately or upping the Switch Expansion subscription, but it is encouraging to see the company adding more to the more expensive Switch Online plan. Maybe by the end of this year it'll actually be worth it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    What's interesting to me about the Mario Kart DLC is the implications for the series going forward. I think this definitely means we won't be seeing a Mario Kart 9 this gen. But even with a Switch follow up they'll still have to deal with the implications of the last game having soooo much content that a new game would either need a similarly massive amount of content or go in a massively different direction. If they port it again they'll cop backlash because that will be them selling the same game again on 3 systems. They got away with it the first time because of the Wii Us underperformance but I don't think it'd go so well next time especially after selling DLC years into it's lifespan.

If the Switch follow-up has backwards compatibility then they could probably get away with an Enhanced edition that includes DLC and some other upgrades. It'd cut into their numbers but might be the best solution. Or, and this is incredibly optimistic. They could make it the 'Wii Sports' style pack in for the new System. It'd definitely move consoles that way.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I am shocked that it took 5 years for them to finally release DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Man... very torn on both Klonoa and Advance Wars re-releases. I think it's a completely positive thing for these great games to be available for people who haven't played them, but do I want to rebuy them when I completely wrung all 4 of them out for content the first time around? This would actually be my third time with Klonoa 1, since I gave the Wii re-release a try (I prefer the Ps1 version, but the Wii version is inoffensive).

I'm very torn on Advance Wars because I still have all of the carts (1, 2, DS, and Days of Ruin) and I still enjoy pulling out 1 and Days of Ruin on occasion.

But there's a small part of me that hopes that if the re-release sells well maybe we see a proper new Advance Wars game.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    What's interesting to me about the Mario Kart DLC is the implications for the series going forward. I think this definitely means we won't be seeing a Mario Kart 9 this gen. But even with a Switch follow up they'll still have to deal with the implications of the last game having soooo much content that a new game would either need a similarly massive amount of content or go in a massively different direction. If they port it again they'll cop backlash because that will be them selling the same game again on 3 systems. They got away with it the first time because of the Wii Us underperformance but I don't think it'd go so well next time especially after selling DLC years into it's lifespan.

If the Switch follow-up has backwards compatibility then they could probably get away with an Enhanced edition that includes DLC and some other upgrades. It'd cut into their numbers but might be the best solution. Or, and this is incredibly optimistic. They could make it the 'Wii Sports' style pack in for the new System. It'd definitely move consoles that way.

Mario Kart 8 is so good, they absolutely do not need to make a Mario Kart 9. Just keep releasing tracks for it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not sure what I'd want added to Mario Kart at the moment other than track variety and maybe more rider/kart unlocks? Even visually it's still great.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Really hope XC3 does not have either the gacha mechanics or the excessively sexy women from XC2. The series took a strange turn there I'm hoping they course correct from.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    This was definitely the most "cool for people that like it, but that ain't for me" Direct in the history of Directs for me. I think Portal 1+2 was the most exciting thing to me, and I ain't even that excited about that.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    so for our house
    Mario Kart courses, Splatoon 3, Dread updates, Kirby, Mario Strikers, xenoblade

for me
    advance wars, front mission, chrono cross

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I remember falling into a Live A Live research hole a couple of months ago after seeing it mentioned on some list of great games that never made their way west. Needless to say, I am incredibly happy that I'll get a chance to play it!

Cruor on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Well rumors were about Mario Cart X (Cross-roads) focusing more on integrating other Nintendo franchises, that could be a gimmick to differentiate the next gen thing. That could mean just about anything in terms of gameplay mechanics. There could easily be a track or mode that involved painting the map for instance.

Edit: the Xeno thread is at 103 pages, probably not good form to necro it. But we have six whole months to speculate pointlessly on scraps of information...

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    I’m so glad to see Switch Sports! Finally getting my family up to play bowling again like we did on the Wii will be great.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The only thing I'd even want (re-)added to Mario Kart is the idea of character-specific special weapons or passives (like how Donkey Kong had the giant banana or Bowser had the big shell in Double Dash; or, hypothetically, Wario stealing coins from people he bumps into and other similar effects), and even then the ramifications for character balance keep me from pushing that idea too hard.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Really hope XC3 does not have either the gacha mechanics or the excessively sexy women from XC2. The series took a strange turn there I'm hoping they course correct from.

So far the outfits on women have been much less ridiculous, so fingers crossed.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Bring back a double dash mode you cowards!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I remember falling into a Live A Live research hole a couple of months ago after seeing it mentioned on some list of great games that never made their way west. Needless to say, I am incredibly happy that I'll get a chance to play it!

Yeah it and Treasure of Rudras are two Square golden age games we never got. I think Rudras is also really, really good. It certainly had some amazing spritework.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe basically turning into Smash Ultimate with all this content. I don't even know how you follow it up.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe basically turning into Smash Ultimate with all this content. I don't even know how you follow it up.

Well, first, you make the Smash Ultimate roster into drivers...

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like the first 8 courses for the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC have been announced.

Golden Dash Cup

– Paris Promenade (Tour)
    – Toad Circuit (3DS)
    – Choco Mountain (N64)
    – Coconut Mall (Wii)

Lucky Cat Cup

– Tokyo Blur (Tour)
    – Shroom Ridge (DS)
    – Sky Garden (GBA)
    – Ninja Hideaway (Tour)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »

Yeah it and Treasure of Rudras are two Square golden age games we never got. I think Rudras is also really, really good. It certainly had some amazing spritework.

I'm salivating at the thought of the treasure of the rudras enemy spritework in 2dhd glory.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Edit: the Xeno thread is at 103 pages, probably not good form to necro it. But we have six whole months to speculate pointlessly on scraps of information...

NintendoUK has a bit more info on XC3:

Bringing together the futures of Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, this title will take players to the world of Aionios, home to two hostile nations.
    Keves: a nation where mechanical technology was developed. Their armies are composed of units consisting mainly of combat vehicles. They use units of small, mobile weapons operated by soldiers riding them.
    Agnus: a nation strong in ether, a magical technology. Their forces are built around units that specialise in ether combat, and they fight with small, mobile, autonomous weapons that use ether technology.

Six soldiers hailing from these nations, will take part in a grand tale with life as its central theme.
    Noah: One of the protagonists of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and a solider of Keves. Noah is also an “off-seer” who mourns for soldiers who’ve lost their lives on the battlefield.
    Lanz: An ally of Noah’s who wields a great sword that doubles as a shield.
    Eunie: A childhood friend of Noah and Lanz who has a sharp tongue and rough personality. She specialises in healing her allies in battle.
    Mio: The other protagonist of this story, Mio is a soldier of Agnus and an off-seer like Noah.
    Taion: A tactician who flights alongside Mio using his smarts and insight.
    Sena: This soldier is an ally of Mio and Taion. Despite her petite figure, Sena’s wields immense physical strength!

[Lanz is the Machina looking guy, Eunie the High Entia, and Mio is the... Nia. (Not the Nia with the mask, the other Nia.)]

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I'd like Adenine back though please and thanks in advance Monolith

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Front Mission 3 is one of my favorite games.

I sunk a hundred or so hours in to the campaign and had a blast.

I went to replay it a few months later only to discover that the game a second hundred hour campaign with new characters, new battles and a different story!

Back in the dark days, when my money was whatever my parents deigned to give me, my memory card died. But I loved FM3 so much that I would just

Start a new game and get as far as I could without turning off the console. Then, keep doing that.

It was a really good game.