As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If you want a fun point and click thing for Switch, give There is No Game a try. Despite the name there is a game there. ...probably?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    13 sentinels isn’t point and click but the narrative section is very much old school adventure game . Only with memories and keywords instead of random items you have to rub on every one till you find out how to progress. Plus you get a mech game .

Have I mentioned how good this game is recently? Cause it’s good.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Woo! Love IndieWorld presentations!

I won't ask for the usual suspects as they'll show up when they show up. Looking forward to something interesting we didn't know was coming. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I love Indies.

They give me my required intake of 2D/Pixel art metroidvanias with souls like combat and bleak depressing background story.

Speaking of play Ender Lilies.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    C'mon gimme a surprise Sports Story drop.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Broken Sword 5 has been on Switch since 2018. Though I don't know how it would feel to start the series there.

Looks like Syberia 1 & 2 are there as well at least?

Thimbleweed Park is from the Maniac Mansion guys and in the same style. The name hides that it's more of an X-files parody.

Sam and Max Save the World/Beyond Time and Space ain't no Hit the Road but are still pretty good. Yes it's telltale but this is before they got lost in the narrative/quicktime formula, these are adventure games through and through.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Honestly not sure. My son handed me the controller on this fight and told me that he doesn't have any healing. I think he's doing the coliseum? Or something? He spawns in a room, you get a single weapon (in which you drop if you get hit by anything at all) and then you go. When you die you can retry for some amount of coins but it just brings you to the room with the weapon and nothing else.
    Yeah, that's what I call the post-post game. Ultimate Cup Z in the colosseum. I'll put more in spoilers for anyone that hasn't played the game:
    So that's not the boss of the main story. That would be Fecto Elfilis. Once you clear the main game you can go to a place called Isolated Isles: Forgo Dreams (the post game). There are harder versions of the main bosses there, ending with Morpho Knight as its final boss (he's the only one you haven't fought before).

Where your son is at is presumably Chaos Elfilis in Ultimate Cup Z. There are normally six healing items (in the other cups they are Maxim Tomatoes, in UCZ they are replaced with normal tomatoes) in addition to the weapon (in the other cups you can pick two), but presumably your son used them in addition to any healing item he may have brought with him.

Ideally you would prepare like I said above. You can bring any weapon of your choosing to the arena, but if you lose it you'd have to hope that a random weapon or one of the bosses will have a replacement. You can upgrade your copy abilities in the post-game (not new tiers, but their power). The Morpho Knight Sword is probably the newbies favorite but I can highly recommend upgrading the Toy Hammer (you can change which tier of a copy ability you want to use). It does a disgusting amount of damage with its charged attacks, after a perfect dodge you can charge starting from a level 2, and more importantly you can still move and jump (!) while charging. The Morpho Knight Sword is pretty strong and can heal you after various attacks, and has a hidden ranged attack (charge your attack while guarding when you're on the ground).

By the way, the True Final Boss (Chaos Elfilis)? He has two fucking phases, so don't let your guard down against his first form thinking you just need to squeak by that last fight because it ain't over yet.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Honestly not sure. My son handed me the controller on this fight and told me that he doesn't have any healing. I think he's doing the coliseum? Or something? He spawns in a room, you get a single weapon (in which you drop if you get hit by anything at all) and then you go. When you die you can retry for some amount of coins but it just brings you to the room with the weapon and nothing else.
    Yeah, that's what I call the post-post game. Ultimate Cup Z in the colosseum. I'll put more in spoilers for anyone that hasn't played the game:
    So that's not the boss of the main story. That would be Fecto Elfilis. Once you clear the main game you can go to a place called Isolated Isles: Forgo Dreams (the post game). There are harder versions of the main bosses there, ending with Morpho Knight as its final boss (he's the only one you haven't fought before).

Where your son is at is presumably Chaos Elfilis in Ultimate Cup Z. There are normally six healing items (in the other cups they are Maxim Tomatoes, in UCZ they are replaced with normal tomatoes) in addition to the weapon (in the other cups you can pick two), but presumably your son used them in addition to any healing item he may have brought with him.

Ideally you would prepare like I said above. You can bring any weapon of your choosing to the arena, but if you lose it you'd have to hope that a random weapon or one of the bosses will have a replacement. You can upgrade your copy abilities in the post-game (not new tiers, but their power). The Morpho Knight Sword is probably the newbies favorite but I can highly recommend upgrading the Toy Hammer (you can change which tier of a copy ability you want to use). It does a disgusting amount of damage with its charged attacks, after a perfect dodge you can charge starting from a level 2, and more importantly you can still move and jump (!) while charging. The Morpho Knight Sword is pretty strong and can heal you after various attacks, and has a hidden ranged attack (charge your attack while guarding when you're on the ground).

By the way, the True Final Boss (Chaos Elfilis)? He has two fucking phases, so don't let your guard down against his first form thinking you just need to squeak by that last fight because it ain't over yet.

Oh wow. So you're saying there's another after that one?
    There's this giant fireball attack that seems to be impossible to avoid. Any suggestions? Is it a dodge-only attack that you have to time?

• Options
    edited May 2022

Guess we shouldn't hold our breath for Advance Wars.

Also, I guess Nintendo is publishing Live A Live?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Windwaker / Twilight Princess seems super likely. Good thing to hold back from the Anniversary if you weren't confident on BOTW2 making holiday.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Huh yeah guess they are

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    There's this giant fireball attack that seems to be impossible to avoid. Any suggestions? Is it a dodge-only attack that you have to time?
    The second phase starts when it turns into the orb that opens with the black hole attack. The boss in the main game (the humanoid form) is over after you use the mouthful mode on him where you have to pull it off before it stabs you with the spear, this time you get the orb as a fight.

When it turns into a sun some of those rocks that fall on the ground are actually steps. You need jump across them to get higher and flutter over the attack when it comes rushing at you.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I understand the reason that Nintendo pushed Advance Wars, since it was due to come out right as that conflict started, and one of the factions is a direct analogy to Russia.

But that hasn't stopped other games from coming out, even if they push it to the fall, just set a date.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I understand the reason that Nintendo pushed Advance Wars, since it was due to come out right as that conflict started, and one of the factions is a direct analogy to Russia.

But that hasn't stopped other games from coming out, even if they push it to the fall, just set a date.

The Blue Moon army is pretty much just Russia so I get why they delayed it.

But yeah, maybe put a date on it now?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    The second phase starts when it turns into the orb that opens with the black hole attack. The boss in the main game (the humanoid form) is over after you use the mouthful mode on him where you have to pull it off before it stabs you with the spear, this time you get the orb as a fight.

When it turns into a sun some of those rocks that fall on the ground are actually steps. You need jump across them to get higher and flutter over the attack when it comes rushing at you.

My son will be so excited to hear that thank you.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

The Blue Moon army is pretty much just Russia so I get why they delayed it.

But yeah, maybe put a date on it now?

At this point I think it's up to Vladimir Putin.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

Huh yeah guess they are

That happens with a lot of lower-profile Square-Enix RPGs. Triangle Strategy, Octopath Traveler, the entire Bravely series, I think some or all of the DS and 3DS Dragon Quest releases...

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Huh yeah guess they are

That happens with a lot of lower-profile Square-Enix RPGs. Triangle Strategy, Octopath Traveler, the entire Bravely series, I think some or all of the DS and 3ds Dragon Quest releases...

Anything for Squeenix to save a buck.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    ah yes, the portrait of everyone expecting silksong news tomorrow

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    Tennis was a joke on 3DS too, but to me personally I don't see what you can do with tennis to make it feel like a worthwhile solo game. I never feel like the mechanics allow it to have the potential scope of golf or soccer.

Unless you can make a really good game version of “Prince of Tennis.” Which is basically Tennis + Dragonball Z.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Indie World Starting now.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Ok, so Elechead looks really fun.

Edit: Ok, Another Crab's Treasure also looks really great and is a Soul's Like that isn't dark and gory, which is what turns me off from that genre. I'll probably give this one a try.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Whole lotta nothing in that presentation for me.

• Options
    Yeah, Elechead looks really clever.

Not a lot of big names this time besides Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, but that's ok.

• Options
    I thought it was a pretty good indie showcase. I tend to hope that at least one game gets my attention. This showcase had two games that has my interest so that is a successful showing for me. :smile:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Quick text list of announcements?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Neurotika wrote: »
    Quick text list of announcements?

Stolen from the /r/games megathread:
    Ooblets kicks off the show with a very cute trailer where you collect...pets that dance? and farm? okay this is pretty cute, Ooblets releases later this summer

Batora Lost Heaven finally gets a release date and its launching this Fall

ElecHead a 2D puzzle platformer game developed by 1 person where you have to watch out where you're going is finally coming to Nintendo Switch, Dont get aHEAD of yourself because ElecHead is launching this summer!

Soundfall a rhythm fighting looter shooter based game lets you fight to the beat with hundreds of songs and with up to 4 player local/online co-op, Soundfall is launching TODAY

Wildfrost a FROSTY tactical roguelike deck builder game lets you battle wave after wave of monsters, launching later this holiday

Totally Accurate Battle Simulator a game by Landfall (the ones that made clustertruck, my worst enemy) is finally coming to Nintendo Switch this summer!!!

GUNBRELLA a sidescrolling 2D noir-punk western action adventure is coming to Nintendo Switch later next year!

We Are OFK a music biopic narrative game set in Downtown LA with weekly episodes by OFK is finally coming to Nintendo Switch this summer!

SILT a hand drawn ocean puzzle adventure game where you can possess sea creatures is plunging to Nintendo Switch this June!

MINI MOTORWAYS a puzzle game where you design the highways and try to control the city is coming to switch TODAY!!!

Wayward Strand a narrative game set in 1970s Australia, where everything unfolds at the same time in realtime is launching July 21st

Cult of the Lamb a procedurally generated game is coming to Nintendo Switch later this year

Anothers Crab's Treasure a sellout realistic crab action adventure soulslike game is raving into the Switch next year!

OneShot: World Machine Edition, Gibbon: Beyond the Trees, Idol Manager, Card Shark, Cursed to Golf, A Guidebook of Babel & OPUS: Echo of Starsong all get a quick showcase!

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular

Yeah.

“Don’t you love games that are cozy and weird??”

…not really.

I’m glad there’s room in the indie space for all of these narrative experiences and slow paced cute adventure games, but I’m a much more mechanical-action oriented type of person. There were a few games that did catch my eye but none of them really offered me much of anything that’s better, elsewhere.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Gunbrella looks pretty cool

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Soundfall, Gunbrella, ElecHead, and Dark Shells looked cool, but that was it for me. I'm not at all interested in "cozy" games, so a lot of the presentation wasn't for me, but good for the people who are.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'm surprised to see Ooblets.

I won't be touching it with a ten foot pole but it's surprising to see it escape Epic Exclusivity.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Unless the Switch version is super different or expanded, ElecHead is more like a tech demo than a real game, or maybe just an expanded Ludum Dare thing or the kind of platform puzzler you find billions of on Kongregate.

What it's super good at is organically directing you to unobvious mechanics or solutions to the puzzles. Like there's only really one thing you can do here, but I don't see how that would hel... Ooooooh. Now I get it. But it never does much more than that, and it's only like an hour long at most, so if you get stuck somewhere, you're stuck.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Yep this is another hill I'm willing to die on. Lots of them these days. I love random battles and am really sad that we're seeing less and less of em.

Bravely Default's system was a win-win for both playstyles. A shame they removed it from future games.

Now if only the could do something about BF’s characters.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Yeah.

…not really.

I’m glad there’s room in the indie space for all of these narrative experiences and slow paced cute adventure games, but I’m a much more mechanical-action oriented type of person. There were a few games that did catch my eye but none of them really offered me much of anything that’s better, elsewhere.

ElecHead is just Mega Man, Another Crab's Treasure is a souls-like action game, Gunbrella is an action platformer with Gun in the name, Cursed to Golf is a golf puzzle game, Cult of the Lamb is a horror-themed action RPG, Soundfall is a rhythm-based FPS...there was a lot of games that aren't just "narrative experiences."

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Yeah.

…not really.

ElecHead is just Mega Man, Another Crab's Treasure is a souls-like action game, Gunbrella is an action platformer with Gun in the name, Cursed to Golf is a golf puzzle game, Cult of the Lamb is a horror-themed action RPG, Soundfall is a rhythm-based FPS...there was a lot of games that aren't just "narrative experiences."

RGT85 is complaining about this as well. This presentation had pretty great variety in it, but it seems a lot of people missed that. Not sure...

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ooblets isn't for me, but it looks like it might be perfect for my daughter. Depends on how much reading is required as she's only 6 right now and still learning. Although maybe I'd be better off going with Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley instead.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ooblets just makes me want another Pikmin, even though it isn't the same genre.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I know its basically tradition at this point but I wish they'd go a different route for the presentation style of these showcases. The unfunny jokes plus incredibly stilted delivery is off-putting (to me anyways, I do admit I can be oversensitive to speaking styles etc), sometimes it even feels like they're quietly mocking some of the games they're talking about. They just have this very deliberate, slow paced, over enunciated narration. I do still like the parts where the devs do their own spiels though