As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] Lots of great games on the horizon!

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I also call bullshit on Xbox 360 lifetime sales because of the units out the gate suffered from the RRoD and people probably just bought new ones before MS started repairing the units at no cost.

Ehhh, weird justifications for multiple purchases still count as multiple purchases. You could call bullshit on handhelds (including Switch) for it being much more likely that multiple are bought per household. Or for the DS hinge crack, or for multiple editions like XL, etc.

Or the PS2 disc read error, or the PSX drive failures, PS3 yellow light, GameCube power supply failures..

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    KoopahTroopah
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Yeah I have 3 Switches at my house. Only one of everything else.

Xaquin
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's impossible to calculate for all the variables for how much lower it higher the "true" user base is. The only metric we really have is total units sold, and even those numbers aren't always complete.

Warlock82
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah, getting people to buy multiple versions of the consoles, be it handheld or not, is something these companies actively try to do.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Warlock82
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yeah, getting people to buy multiple versions of the consoles, be it handheld or not, is something these companies actively try to do.

Nintendo probably more than anyone since they love to release "upgraded" versions of their handhelds in particular (i.e. DS Lite, DSi, 3DS XL, New 3DS XL, etc.. also Switch OLED). Those are kind of cases where ok, maybe you own the original but there's some really nice new features and/or exclusive games (though it always tended to be like, five exclusive games total or something small like that) that only play on these newer models so you get another one.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Darth_Mogs
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

Nintendo probably more than anyone since they love to release "upgraded" versions of their handhelds in particular (i.e. DS Lite, DSi, 3DS XL, New 3DS XL, etc.. also Switch OLED). Those are kind of cases where ok, maybe you own the original but there's some really nice new features and/or exclusive games (though it always tended to be like, five exclusive games total or something small like that) that only play on these newer models so you get another one.

Handhelds are the most visible version of that, but Sony and Microsoft have also done it for a long while as well. Many times it is to make the consoles more power efficient and/or cheaper to make, as well as smaller, but there are functional improvements as well.

The original version of the Xbox 360, RRoD aside, didn't have an HDMI port. Before there was even the Xbox 360 Slim there was an original versionwith HDMI, then the slim. The Xbox One S gained 4K bluray playback alongside the usual "smaller and more power efficient" upgrades that consoles usually go through. The PS3 was the notable exception to the rule as sony kept stripping functionality out of it until it was finally cheap enough to get people to start buying it.

And then there was the mid cycle "pro" versoins of the Xbox One and PS4 that were more powerful.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Warlock82BigJoeM
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Soundfall is pretty fun so far.

But I will stress that you need to set the game’s audio/video latency to fit your setup. I dunno what the in-game auto-calibration method is doing, but it was not working for me. But with headphones plugged into the system itself, 0 audio latency works like a charm. It’s just something that’s very important for a rhythm game like this; make sure the settings are right for you.

But yeah, it’s fun killing stuff to the beat, and I’m finding songs I didn’t know about.

Also, something funny. Weapons in the game have elemental affinities. There’s a fire, plant, and ice triangle, and a light and dark pair, which are mutually weak to each other. But the names are musical. Red/Fire is Bolero, Green/Leaf is Minuet, Blue/Ice is Serenade, Yellow/Lightning is Requiem, and Purple/Dark is Nocturne. These just so happen to be part of the names of the temple songs from Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And they fit the color associated with those temples.

MrBlarneyKoopahTroopahForever Zefiro
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I also call bullshit on Xbox 360 lifetime sales because of the units out the gate suffered from the RRoD and people probably just bought new ones before MS started repairing the units at no cost.

Ehhh, weird justifications for multiple purchases still count as multiple purchases. You could call bullshit on handhelds (including Switch) for it being much more likely that multiple are bought per household. Or for the DS hinge crack, or for multiple editions like XL, etc.

Or the PS2 disc read error, or the PSX drive failures, PS3 yellow light, GameCube power supply failures..

Man, game consoles suuuuuuuuck.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FWIW I had one of each of those consoles shadowfire mentioned and all of them still work as far as I know. The only console I've had that failed was the Wii, disk drive died back in 2013 or so.

BahamutZERO.gif
    FWIW I had one of each of those consoles shadowfire mentioned and all of them still work as far as I know. The only console I've had that failed was the Wii, disk drive died back in 2013 or so.

Ooh! I forgot the Wii had video card failures from overheating!

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Kinda makes me scared for my Wii U . How else am I going to play ogre battle 64 and the gba fire emblems?

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    My WiiU is the only real console failure I've had, and it's not even the console - it's the gamepad that imploded. The problem is that you can't do anything without the pad and nothing sells the pads anymore.

Steam ID: Right here.
    InvisibleInk
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

Ooh! I forgot the Wii had video card failures from overheating!

That’s what got mine. Video card rot was responsible for about 5 of the 7 times I had to send my Wii back for repair. Then my launch Wii U died in less than a week. For me that was a cursed brand. Had me uneasy going in to Switch. Only 1 time for joycon drift though.

I’ll always think poorly of Wii but highly of Nintendo’s customer service people. They’ve been nothing but great to me.

Switch friend code: SW-2978-3296-1491
    PSN: RidleySaria
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My Wii had a hard drive issue after 4 years that was fixed for $60 or something. A friend of mine went through 7 360s in 1.5 years, which was nuts.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    no console ever got in the same ballpark as the RROD, though. A decent chunk of machines got RROD'd not long after launch.
    A catastrophe that huge would have killed any other company (or at best taken it out of console making). Only MS could have absorbed the billion dollar hit.
    Plus many other famous issues could be easily fixed or you could play games even with them (upside down ps1's). RROD outright murdered the machine and it was very likely for a repaired machine to have the issue again. Or a new one to get it too. I'd posit that the 360 is the only machine whose sales were reasonably inflated by people buying replacements.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    MNC DoverChiselphaneurahonkyLucedes
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    no console ever got in the same ballpark as the RROD, though. A decent chunk of machines got RROD'd not long after launch.
    A catastrophe that huge would have killed any other company (or at best taken it out of console making). Only MS could have absorbed the billion dollar hit.
    Plus many other famous issues could be easily fixed or you could play games even with them (upside down ps1's). RROD outright murdered the machine and it was very likely for a repaired machine to have the issue again. Or a new one to get it too. I'd posit that the 360 is the only machine whose sales were reasonably inflated by people buying replacements.

This does not match my experience with the Ps2, which was also a famously unreliable POS.

Shadowfire
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    My ps2 would read my ps2 games when the ps1 wouldn't so I always loved it for that. My biggest fear is that either the battery or the thumb pad thing on my 3ds just stops working or falls apart. I have not turned my wiiu on in a long time. But really the only game on it I would consider playing is Zelda.

3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    Steam: MajorEnfejar

This does not match my experience with the Ps2, which was also a famously unreliable POS.

The PS2 had a notoriously bad disc drive. Sometimes they wouldn't read DVDs, sometimes they wouldn't read CDs, either way you'd have a part of your collection that just can't be played anymore.

If you end up getting a used one somewhere, try to check for one with a serial number that starts with PX since the drives were improved in that model. The PT6 was also better I think, but the PX was a pretty major redesign inside, iirc.

I know the 360 was a shitshow, but I also think that it came as we were all online way more. The PS2 was a major problem.

shoeboxjeddyMarek
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever had a console fail. #blessed

MNC DoverTimFijianoffdaydiscriderdipuc4lifeDonnictoncj iwakuraKoopahTroopahImperfectLucedes
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I feel like even if you consider 360 sales to be overcooked by 30%, it still doesn't really take away from the overall sales feat. It was a very popular machine and defacto #1 system... in America at least.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
    Shadowfire
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 14
    i'm not saying no other machine had problems. But no other machine had a problem that would kill it outright so soon after purchase in such large numbers. And it took quite a while for the xbox 360 to be remotely reliable. The whole debacle cost MS around a billion dollars, that's an objective measure of how serious it was. My point is that they can afford to outright lose money with the console market for 2 or 4 generations just to "build the brand" or something.

And as for personal experiences... well i'm sure there is someone who's still playing 10 hours a day of fifa or madden on their launch xbox 360 since they bought it. and someone who went through 15 of whatever machine is considered sturdy by people.

as for 360 being defacto #1, Wii was still around, even if you argue it was casual or bought by grannies or something.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

The PS2 had a notoriously bad disc drive. Sometimes they wouldn't read DVDs, sometimes they wouldn't read CDs, either way you'd have a part of your collection that just can't be played anymore.

If you end up getting a used one somewhere, try to check for one with a serial number that starts with PX since the drives were improved in that model. The PT6 was also better I think, but the PX was a pretty major redesign inside, iirc.

I know the 360 was a shitshow, but I also think that it came as we were all online way more. The PS2 was a major problem.

We had to get 3 to 4 Ps2 replacements, and the last one we ended up with was unreliable in terms of playing every game without many, many tries. My personal 360 never failed, and the family one went out like... once?

edited May 14
    Hey guys quick question , my Bose headphones connects to the switch super easily and works just fine but it seems I have to reconnect it every time I turn the switch on / off . Is that supposed to happen? Anything I can do about it ? Not the end of the world but annoying nonetheless.

EspantaPajaro on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Hey uhhh Panzer Paladin is $10 and it seems pretty cool far, 2 stages in.

StarZapperShadowfireTelMarine
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever had a console fail. #blessed

Yeah, I've been pretty fortunate with that as well. I even had a launch 360 that never had issues. I eventually gave it away when I upgraded and someone else played it a lot too.

Steam: offday
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Well my NES is extremely janky and I can get it to work if I fiddle with it for 10 minutes. This is after replacing the slot/contacts a while back.

And my OG PS2 stopped reading discs and I adjusted its laser height (I think?) once or twice to band-aid the issue. Luckily I had bought a slim at the end of its life just in case, but last time I tried to use that I think it had a similar problem, though that may have been the fault of the DVD of The Room I was trying to watch.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    Renzo wrote: »
    Hey uhhh Panzer Paladin is $10 and it seems pretty cool far, 2 stages in.

Nice! Thanks for the heads up, just grabbed it for like $4 after my gold coins.

Cruor on
    RenzoShadowfireStarZapper
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Went ahead and bought all the 3DS Ace Attorney games that I can’t get on Switch, you’re welcome in advance for the upcoming ports.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    CruorDonnictonMNC Doverrahkeesh2000BahamutZEROShadowfireLBD_NytetraynPailryderTayavagrant_windsFremshoeboxjeddyForever ZefiroLucedesStarZapperRoad BlockFryAbsoluteZeroDoctorArchStormwatcher
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Welp, I think my Switch finally died. I tend to go weeks or months without playing; usually I charge it for a bit and it's fine. This time, I've had it plugged in overnight, and the screen keeps flashing the low battery icon every few seconds and not charging.

If I attempt a hard reset, it shows the Nintendo logo for a moment and then nothing.

I have it plugged directly into the charger, no dock. Tried with and without the JoyCons, tried completely unplugging the charger for 30 seconds, nothing. I've only ever used authentic Nintendo hardware, except once when I tried to use my phone charger (dumb, I know) and found that it couldn't deliver enough juice.

I hear tell that if you send it to Nintendo for repair you're as likely as not to lose all your saves, so I guess I might as well upgrade as pay Nintendo to "fix it" send me a new unit sans screen protector.

Crap.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    This is a bit of a dumb question but are you able to test if the charger itself still works?

wunderbar
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The only console failures I had was my first Switch had the fan get super loud so I used that as an excuse to buy a new one and I had a DS Lite that got finicky about reading games.

We do have 3 Switches in the house now (me, my wife, my son) - but to be fair we also have 2 Series Xs in the house so we inflate numbers equally.

All right moved my Wii U to the main tv so I can do my yearly ogre battle 64 playthrough and I’m excited. Bit of a downer though , I can’t find my purple game boy color with my original Pokémon silver. I’m sure it’s somewhere , I just need to find it.

MNC Dover
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 16
    The only console failures I had was my first Switch had the fan get super loud so I used that as an excuse to buy a new one and I had a DS Lite that got finicky about reading games.

We do have 3 Switches in the house now (me, my wife, my son) - but to be fair we also have 2 Series Xs in the house so we inflate numbers equally.

Oh god the OG switch was loud as hell. That whiny disc/fan sound drove me nuts.

Unfortunately I am no longer a member of the too many switches club, I got rid of my older models a few months ago and now only have the OLED.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the switch doesn't have any disk drives, just fans

BahamutZERO.gif
    LD50 wrote: »
    This is a bit of a dumb question but are you able to test if the charger itself still works?

I only have the one switch and charger, so not really.

Try plugging an Android phone into it if you have one.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Or just about any non-apple device in the last few years. At this point, even my TV remote charges over USB-C.

wunderbar
    Try plugging an Android phone into it if you have one.
    Dirty wrote: »
    Or just about any non-apple device in the last few years. At this point, even my TV remote charges over USB-C.

Ah. I knew third-party chargers can damage the switch; I wasn't sure if the charger could likewise damage third-party devices.

Update: indeed, my charger is dead! Thank you :)

CruorShadowfireshoeboxjeddyurahonkyLD50MNC Doverdipuc4lifeLucedesStormwatcherLordSolarMachariusAustinP0027
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    Just started playing Xenoblade 2 to prepare for 3 and uh...does this...does this get better?

I just got to another titan and met Zeke and oof....boy that whole thing was cringey as fuck. The combat seems to take forever, it takes like 5 minutes just to kill random mob trash. The story is...there, I guess.

Does it improve from here? I love the first one, but this one ain't doing it for me right now.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Shenl742
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    It really doesn't. It's a game you enjoy for the visuals, music, environments, and maybe the graphical designs of the characters if that's your thing but the story, actual characters, interactions, some of the game systems (fucking gacha game mechanics why), etc. really leave a lot to be desired.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Shenl742LD50SageinaRage