As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/pLn2ViEn8Bk
    https://youtu.be/yHNjK3oQ5U4

Fall Guys is finally coming to Switch (and Xbox) June 21st, and will be free-to-play as well, with full crossplay and cross-progression between all platforms (Switch, Xbox, PC, PlayStation)

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Well no, trash mobs don't have to take 5 minutes to kill. The game seems easier to break than Xeno 1, but you might have to plow through layers of mechanics to figure that out. Like how blade damage is tied directly to affinity, so you want to keep unlocking the affinity charts. Or just over-level a bit which is all too easy in Xeno games (be sure to visit inns to use up your bonus XP for faster levels.)

The dialogue pretty much is what it is throughout.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Try plugging an Android phone into it if you have one.
    Dirty wrote: »
    Or just about any non-apple device in the last few years. At this point, even my TV remote charges over USB-C.

Ah. I knew third-party chargers can damage the switch; I wasn't sure if the charger could likewise damage third-party devices.

Update: indeed, my charger is dead! Thank you :)

I don't know that I can exactly pinpoint the blame on the Switch charger, but my daughters phone stopped negotiating for fast charging after she used the switch charger to charge up her phone at least a few times. Plug it into the stock or PD charger and it just slow charges.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Well no, trash mobs don't have to take 5 minutes to kill. The game seems easier to break than Xeno 1, but you might have to plow through layers of mechanics to figure that out. Like how blade damage is tied directly to affinity, so you want to keep unlocking the affinity charts. Or just over-level a bit which is all too easy in Xeno games (be sure to visit inns to use up your bonus XP for faster levels.)

How long trash takes depends on how many there are and how nice they are about grouping up. Also what blades you have because the amount of AoE they can do with specials varies greatly. Another of those areas the gacha nonsense gets in the way imo.

Xeno 1 has less depth to combat in that there's not really much to think about besides break>topple>daze and whatever buffs and such you have around. 2 is not very good at explaining how blade combos flow, or how fusion combos work to create stupid multipliers. I think Xeno 1 is actually pretty easy to break casually though, since there's a number of simple builds that wreck house and basically just come down to stacking specific stats.

Oh, the other thing on Xeno 2 is to just keep pouch items going at all times, especially anything that accelerates recharge on arts.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I have never played Earthbound.

I am currently playing Earthbound.

Earthbound is a weird, sad, frustrating, hilarious little game. I think I love it but also some of the choices it makes anger me.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Earthbound is a weird, sad, frustrating, hilarious little game. I think I love it but also some of the choices it makes anger me.

Yeah that sounds like Earthbound.

• Options

It makes me think of Metal Gear, where it does super unintuitive or player-unfriendly things to create a sort of gamified realism?

Everything around money, healing, inventory, the shops, etc.

But then the status effects, monsters, NPCs, everything out in the world is bizarre and super video-gamey in really fun ways.

That Burp sound effect that keeps playing during the Master Belch conversation is just *chef’s kiss* for example.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Just started playing Xenoblade 2 to prepare for 3 and uh...does this...does this get better?

I just got to another titan and met Zeke and oof....boy that whole thing was cringey as fuck. The combat seems to take forever, it takes like 5 minutes just to kill random mob trash. The story is...there, I guess.

Does it improve from here? I love the first one, but this one ain't doing it for me right now.

if fights are taking too long, you're probably not doing your fights right. You need to make sure that you're using proper combos (driver->blade).

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I think the problem with Xenoblade 2 is that unlike Xenoblade 1, the tutorials are outright terrible and don't teach you how to play the game efficiently. (XBC1 had some fantastic tutorials)

I do still need to go back to this game tho. I never got very far in it.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

It makes me think of Metal Gear, where it does super unintuitive or player-unfriendly things to create a sort of gamified realism?

But then the status effects, monsters, NPCs, everything out in the world is bizarre and super video-gamey in really fun ways.

That Burp sound effect that keeps playing during the Master Belch conversation is just *chef’s kiss* for example.

Earthbound as an RPG skews closer to old Dragon Quest games than Final Fantasy. It's really not that much different.

Bank/Treasury -> ATM
    Save/Church -> Phone
    Shops -> Mall
    Potions -> Burgers
    Poison -> Cold

It also has the same mechanics too though. So limited inventory, having to open the menu for everything, including talking or checking (protip, the L button will do the proper context action on everything). Like I said, it's closer to the old NES DQ games than any FF. If you never much cared for them, you probably won't like Earthbound. Though the setting is damned unique, and you have the benefit of save states, so that might help a ton.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

Earthbound as an RPG skews closer to old Dragon Quest games than Final Fantasy. It's really not that much different.

Bank/Treasury -> ATM
    Save/Church -> Phone
    Shops -> Mall
    Potions -> Burgers
    Poison -> Cold

It also has the same mechanics too though. So limited inventory, having to open the menu for everything, including talking or checking (protip, the L button will do the proper context action on everything). Like I said, it's closer to the old NES DQ games than any FF. If you never much cared for them, you probably won't like Earthbound. Though the setting is damned unique, and you have the benefit of save states, so that might help a ton.

I enjoy the old DQ games and the style of combat that Earthbound is using, it’s just that the number of items you need to have on hand compared to the small individualized inventory spaces you have access to, there are some really frustrating things there that I think kind of hurt the game.

And I do really like the game, its sense of humor is basically mine all over again, there are just a few tiny little things that are super frustrating but are also like, central to the game so it’s a tough one. Only getting money from fights won after you call your Dad, and having to withdraw every time you need it but also there’s no ATM at the hospital so you have to walk over to a convenience store, that kind of stuff.

Also for the playthroughs I’m doing of every SNES game on the App I’m not allowing myself Save States or Rewind because I’m an idiot.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Bank/Treasury -> ATM
    Save/Church -> Phone
    Shops -> Mall
    Potions -> Burgers
    Poison -> Cold

I enjoy the old DQ games and the style of combat that Earthbound is using, it’s just that the number of items you need to have on hand compared to the small individualized inventory spaces you have access to, there are some really frustrating things there that I think kind of hurt the game.

And I do really like the game, its sense of humor is basically mine all over again, there are just a few tiny little things that are super frustrating but are also like, central to the game so it’s a tough one. Only getting money from fights won after you call your Dad, and having to withdraw every time you need it but also there’s no ATM at the hospital so you have to walk over to a convenience store, that kind of stuff.

Also for the playthroughs I’m doing of every SNES game on the App I’m not allowing myself Save States or Rewind because I’m an idiot.

Just a quick clarification, you don't have to call dad to get your money. You win a fight, the money is in your bank account instantly. He just tells you what the current balance is. Having to find an ATM though, yeah. You can withdraw all your money if you want to avoid that problem. Just remember this is again DQ rules, and you'll lose half your money on hand if you die.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Finally started 13 Sentinels now that it's on the Switch. I've been keeping myself completely blind on the game waiting for it to eventually hit the Switch one day.

Did they unironically start off Iori's prologue with one of the most memed on anime starting tropes in history? Vanillaware please

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Earthbound lets you play one handed so you can eat pizza with the other hand.

Checkmate, every other rpg!

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Bank/Treasury -> ATM
    Save/Church -> Phone
    Shops -> Mall
    Potions -> Burgers
    Poison -> Cold

Just a quick clarification, you don't have to call dad to get your money. You win a fight, the money is in your bank account instantly. He just tells you what the current balance is. Having to find an ATM though, yeah. You can withdraw all your money if you want to avoid that problem. Just remember this is again DQ rules, and you'll lose half your money on hand if you die.

Now THAT I didn’t realize.

One of the things I do really like is the overall combat balance. Like, with one or two exceptions I haven’t had to stop and grind at all, just keep moving forward, even though I accidentally skipped the second sanctuary.

And while a single enemy gets steamrolled with little fanfare, even adding one or two more enemies makes things a whooooole lot dicier.

Breath of Fire was the same way, just constant momentum in the story so you never feel the treadmill, though there haven’t been nearly as many Heroic Sacrifices in Earthbound so far. FF4 is my favorite FF because I think there’s a different Heroic Sacrifice moment every chapter, but given how things are ramping up I imagine there will be a fair amount of melodrama later on. Should be fun.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    One of the my favorite things about Earthbound is that the different attack spells actually have separate functions. Fire is good for attacking multiple enemies (especially when they all appear on the same line), Ice is great for a single target (both because it has high damage and a chance at CCing them), and Lightning

breaks barriers

So often with Final Fantasy or Shin Megami Tensei the attacks are literally just mechanical pallet-swaps; I love how if there isn't a specific elemental advantage there still might be reasons to prefer one over the others.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I can't remember if it was more like this in Earthbound or Mother 3, but the thing I most associate PSI Thunder with is having the highest possible damage-per-turn of the main 3 spells. If it rolls a high number of bolts, and they hit the same target, you can do more damage than with Freeze, if it works. I think that Mother 3 has Thunder be more reliable than it was in Earthbound?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

To actually make those trash mobs not take 5 minutes to kill, you're going to want to be using arts recharge pouch items, and maybe movement cancelling to speed up your auto-attacks.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    Earthbound lets you play one handed so you can eat pizza with the other hand.

Checkmate, every other rpg!

I think you mean steak, not pizza

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    A new update to the cloud Kingdom Hearts games adds a wonderful feature, a message telling you "hey buddy, we're having some server congestion right now so it might not be the best time to play. Try again later?"

https://kotaku.com/kingdom-hearts-cloud-version-switch-1-03-update-servers-1848924965

What a great use of money for a full price game.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Ugh that's awful. You are better off getting a PS2, 3, 4, or 5 and just playing them there.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's amazing that they couldn't be arsed to get KH 1&2 running on the Switch. I get that 3 would have been hard to get going, but come the fuck on.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Squeenix seems to be managed by very strange people.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Is this the same squeenix that just sold a bunch of AAA franchises for some magic beans NFTs?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Is this the same squeenix that just sold a bunch of AAA franchises for some magic beans NFTs?

To be fair that was probably a lie to keep the stockholders happy. Their new goal is to use the money to buy/build new studios.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    cloudeagle wrote: »

To be fair that was probably a lie to keep the stockholders happy. Their new goal is to use the money to buy/build new studios.

I have no idea how “we want to raise capital to buy into a tiny market that is both widely reviled by our customers and already dying” would be meant to keep investors happier than “we want to reinvest in our core business and develop new IPs within our primary market” would.
    Why not just say the one that makes actual business sense?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I have no idea how “we want to raise capital to buy into a tiny market that is both widely reviled by our customers and already dying” would be meant to keep investors happier than “we want to reinvest in our core business and develop new IPs within our primary market” would.

You assume investors and stockholders have business sense?

Besides, trend-chasing the latest buzzword has a bigger potential for a quick, big payout than slow, more sustainable development does.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Because stockholders were briefly horny for NFTs.

Your mistake is thinking the business world is always driven by logic. :p

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    A new update to the cloud Kingdom Hearts games adds a wonderful feature, a message telling you "hey buddy, we're having some server congestion right now so it might not be the best time to play. Try again later?"

https://kotaku.com/kingdom-hearts-cloud-version-switch-1-03-update-servers-1848924965

What a great use of money for a full price game.
    This is pretty useful, but what would really help is a warning on the store page telling you when it's not a good idea to buy the game. Which is always.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Because investors love them crypto buzzwords. It's why so many companies tried to go into NFTs and their customers had to yell at them, despite there being absolutely no value to them.

Basically, a thing one has to remember about modern companies is that investors control a lot of the companies' actions and also such stockholders are strongly incentivized to balloon and then murder the company like parasitic wasp larvae.

Modern capitalism is not really terribly functional.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Investors != Business People too. They're just people with money.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Stockholders want big dividends next quarter and/or the stock to go up to sell for a profit. That's it. they don't give a fuck about slower but sustainable growth

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Stockholders want big dividends next quarter and/or the stock to go up to sell for a profit. That's it. they don't give a fuck about slower but sustainable growth

Who purchases the stock of companies that have been hollowed out to boost their stock prices, anyway? Is there a significant investment class of suckers out there?

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

Who purchases the stock of companies that have been hollowed out to boost their stock prices, anyway? Is there a significant investment class of suckers out there?

If NFTs and Cryptocurrency are any indication, it's suckers all the way down.

Like, yes, some of them get very rich, but they're only rich until they see something shiny and bet it all and lose and go to their friends in the government to ask for more money.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Stock market isn't a semi-closed system like crypto, profits are being extracted from actual consumers and passed to shareholders. So odds are most investors will make money in the long run, some will make much, much more however.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Speaking of gambling poorly disguised as actual financial systems , the turnip calculator I use for ac gave me a 70% ish chance for there to be either a big spike or a small one with the other patterns making up the remaining %. Guess whos town now has a 55 % chance to have drawn a decreasing pattern and will be losing hundreds of thousands of bells …. #bail me out , not Tom nook!

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    This week's eShop update

Switch Retail

Cotton Fantasy – $39.99 (available May 20)
    Touken Ranbu Warriors – $59.99 (available May 24)

Switch Download

amazin’ George Remastered – $4.99
    Amazing Superhero Squad – $6.99 (available May 25)
    Ampersat – $9.99 (available May 20)
    Arcade Archives Fighting Hawk – $7.99
    Arcade Archives Pro Tennis World Court – $7.99
    Blow & Fly – $4.99 (available May 25)
    Chefy-Chef – $4.99
    Connecto – $2.99
    Construction Machines SIM: Bridges, buildings and constructor trucks simulator – $14.99
    Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2/3 Bundle!! – $24.99
    Deadcraft – $22.49
    Doctor Hospital: Hypocondriac Simulator – $2.99
    Dog’s Donuts – $3.99
    Dungetris – $2.99
    Equestrian Training – $34.99
    Flatout Pixel Racing – $4.99
    Flippin Kaktus
    Galacticon – $4.99 (available May 22)
    Goetia 2 – $9.99
    Guild of Dungeoneering Ultimate Edition – $19.99
    Invasion Waves – $5.00
    Isekai Bride Hunting – $19.90
    Japanese NEKOSAMA Escape: The Mountain Cottage – $9.99
    Kiddy Memory – $3.99
    Kid’s Art Coloring Book – $4.99
    Let’s Get Fit – $29.99
    Mahjong: Magic Casual Puzzle – $9.99
    Maximillion Fortress – $3.49
    Paradise Island Driver – $12.99
    PigShip and the Giant Wolf – $7.99 (available May 20)
    Pixel Game Maker Series LAB – $6.99
    Puzzle Collection – $4.99 (available May 20)
    Red White Yellow Stingray – $12.99
    Salad Bar Tycoon Extended Edition – $2.19
    SHMUP MANIA – $5.00
    Snow Bros. Special – $24.99
    Source of Madness – $19.99
    Supaplex – $9.99
    The Future You’ve Been Dreaming Of – $17.99
    The Legend of the Dragonflame Highschool Collection – $4.99 (available May 20)
    The Rusty Sword: Vanguard Island – $0.99
    There Will Be No Turkey This Christmas – $2.99
    They Always Run – $19.99
    Top Speed 2: Drag Rivals & Nitro Racing – $9.99
    Wolfstride – $14.99

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack

In this colorful 3D platformer – the first and only Kirby game on Nintendo 64 and the Nintendo 64 – Nintendo Switch Online library! – players guide Kirby on an adventure across planet Ripple Star, using classic Copy Abilities to overcome obstacles and defeat enemies. You can even blast, bash and dash with friends in three separate four-player minigames – 100-Yard Hop, Bumper Crop Bump and Checkerboard Chase! Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards will arrive on Nintendo Switch by flying star for players with a Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership on May 20.

eShop Sales

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
    Check out the full list of deals available this week at https://www.nintendo.com/store/sales-and-deals.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    At last, the true Mario Kart killer is coming to Switch.
    https://youtu.be/qyKBKFB38v4

• Options
    T-Danger wrote: »
    At last, the true Mario Kart killer is coming to Switch.
    https://youtu.be/qyKBKFB38v4

Took a second before I could tell that Everest was in there. I wonder if it will be a Microtransaction festival like Chocobo GP is.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I bet Paw Patrol: Grand Prix Delux is going to be where its at.

NNID: Rehab0