As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kim kong wants to make a comic…

Kim kongKim kong Registered User regular
edited February 2022 in Artist's Corner
…and a has made one.

SUPRISE!

Ok, for the new year, one of my crazy resolutions for myself, was to make a comic. Not just a comic, but a one of those new-fangled webcomics. Some maybe have heard of them.
But since I have no experience and certainly no training doing this I was totally insecure to even try.
But hey, since it has been given away by the mere concept of me making this thread, I have now finished a short try-out chapter.

Enjoy,

Starring these two

e3ox2hoyvvy2.jpeg

vg93mngcknln.jpeg
x92ylkqpu7qa.jpeg
4fdqp25xvyqt.jpeg
41c9hrhslzc0.jpeg
g27kuscdxw2c.jpeg

Kim kong on

• Options
    Nice! I know comic making is a ton of work so always huge respect for anyone that can make it to the finish on one. :+1::+1:

• Options
    barcsbarcs ireland Registered User regular
    great work! really nice story telling and body language! is it traditional? getting a comic finished is one of the best things you can do to kick your skills up a level or two! one of my favourite past times is finding web comic artists i like and going back to their first page and seeing the jump in skill!

• Options
    It is done in Procreate.
    This was also trying to find a correct (digital) workflow, that works for me. I have the bad habit to write stories without the dialogue in mind. So I do the thumbnails and experiment with the layout. Then sketch it out, then ink it all and finally write all the text.
    This is not the way.
    But hey, as I said, this was a learning experience. And although it is (a bit) rough around the edges, I had fun with it.

• Options
    barcsbarcs ireland Registered User regular
    i find i cant write without thumb nailing and the dialogue is usually the last stuff i add! if this is not the way i have no way!

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Nice! Keep it up! I’ll be reading it regular once it’s underway.

I too thought it was traditional art; it’s good look.

• Options
    Some settings in Procreate are just too good to ignore, from a workflow standpoint. If I were to make rough guess, it cuts off about a third in time, from really rough sketch to acceptable ‘finished’ drawing.

• Options
    Almost a whole year (fuck time)has passed. But I’m finally ready to show the first 10 pages of this project.

b86jihw39kbz.jpeg
    ctos3fu4sq2g.jpeg
    1sbeclul6m2x.jpeg
    k7dfb478hgmt.jpeg
    05s4wnmdbpjm.jpeg
    m5vncitl9mk9.jpeg
    dkpm5tvvgawk.jpeg
    dfeqcqv2cyxu.jpeg
    u12n0x5ew2pu.jpeg
    3xllgg5uwcok.jpeg

Have fun with ripping it apart. Don’t mind the spelling to much, but please do point it out if it’s to egregious.

• Options
    Damn. I can’t quite place the era off the cuff, but this reminds me of all my fav webcomics I read as a teenager, in a good way. Beyond the scope of webcomics for a sec, you’re using a lot of really classy comic book techniques that you don’t see as much online now, due to either a different artistic upbringings or because the artist is drawing with speed in mind (your three panel gag strips etc). It’s so pleasant just to see a lot of lines, as daft as that sounds. The extra work you’re putting in is noticeable. Good job!

If I was to critic anything, it’d just be to leave more of a border gap around the text in speech bubbles.

zdv8zxndvqyh.jpeg
    3c699qrn46mo.gif
    h3uwxj8wb78p.png

• Options
    Oh and I’ve just realised that ‘to’ in the first panel should be ‘too’. Probably the worst word in the English language. I do that all the time.