Options

[Horizon Forbidden West] Burning Shores - Out Now!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I for one am enjoying the validation of all the PC players having the same experience I did at launch when everyone else was playing Elden Ring

I still love the game but boy howdy it has issues

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    I started on the hardest and Im just now starting to get purple gear - I very much agree that the amount of materials. I wouldn't mind if it was only a diverse list of materials, but they could have kept the amount of each down for sure.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited April 1
    Honestly I'm greatly enjoying the game, but the whole materials stuff and so many weapons and armors with so many bobs does feel exhausting. I end up basically just using normal damage and explosions most of the time, and my upgrades are probably behind the curve on anything except by boom slingshot and sharpshot bow.

Especially because, as someone said before, a lot of enemies feel a bit like the Frozen Wilds dudes felt in the first one - including the part where basically every second enemy is an Apex with a pile of HP so doing stuff like hitting elemental chain reaction canisters and setting tripcasters and whatever just doesn't feel worth it.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited April 1
    The upgrade system would be less of an issue if the tiers were smoother. I'm not that far in but so far for the blue and green weapons and armor the second upgrade tier was the worst in terms of materials. Maybe it's different later or for different weapons but that's just stupid.

Tier 3 was usually free compared to tier 2. It's just daft.

danx on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Luiane wrote: »
    I started on the hardest and Im just now starting to get purple gear - I very much agree that the amount of materials. I wouldn't mind if it was only a diverse list of materials, but they could have kept the amount of each down for sure.

Not just that, but the stupid World of warcraft: this pig didn't have any ears" design they incorporated.
    Killed 4 Slitherfangs in a row, no nerve bundle. Well gee whiz, Hephastus, congratz on almost clapping my dainty cheeks with a braindead danger noodle.

I really hope they do something different in 3; the "twist" from HZD can only carry the franchise for me for only so long.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips for quickly killing fireclaws? Without popping their main bladder.
    They're just so fkn tanky. I can kill slaughterspines quicker. Initially I only wanted to play bows buuuuut that has been ground down to a fine paste. I'll even use a spear if that's what it takes.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2
    The very best way to kill Fireclaws or Frostclaws? Kite them to the edge of their aggro territory.

Seriously, they only have a limited distance they'll travel from the center of their patrol area. Get one to aggro you, run away, and at some point it will just... stop chasing you. It will still be aggroed, but it can't follow any further. It will do ranged attacks until you're out of range, then forget you. The nice thing about this is it takes the entire fucking part of their arsenal which is "jump up and down on top of you" and nullifies it. Then they only have a couple of ranged attacks they'll use, which are much much easier to dodge than all their other bullshit. Pretty sure every spot that spawns any variety of Claw has a place you can run to that isn't the territory of another bot.

This is HUGELY useful to know when grinding out Sacs because the Sacs are huge and hold all the elemental juice and end up destroyed 95% of the time when fighting these assholes. But with the method I suggest, it's a simple matter to (in my case) use the Shredder gauntlet on their legs until they die. It can be set up to basically bypass their leg armor and does lots of DoT that doesn't splash, so you can safely preserve the Sacs while minimizing threat to yourself. Which is how I got all the Sacs I used for upgrades, I basically never fought them straight-up once I found out this trick. Just be careful if you're good at catching the Shredder disc because if if you throw and catch multiple times, the third hit will cause an elemental explosion and you don't want that (because it could set off a Sac). But any weapon you like that fires fairly straight is a good option; anything with an upward arc tends to hit the upper body of the Claw first and obviously that's an issue.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    The very best way to kill Fireclaws or Frostclaws? Kite them to the edge of their aggro territory.

Seriously, they only have a limited distance they'll travel from the center of their patrol area. Get one to aggro you, run away, and at some point it will just... stop chasing you. It will still be aggroed, but it can't follow any further. It will do ranged attacks until you're out of range, then forget you. The nice thing about this is it takes the entire fucking part of their arsenal which is "jump up and down on top of you" and nullifies it. Then they only have a couple of ranged attacks they'll use, which are much much easier to dodge than all their other bullshit. Pretty sure every spot that spawns any variety of Claw has a place you can run to that isn't the territory of another bot.

This is HUGELY useful to know when grinding out Sacs because the Sacs are huge and hold all the elemental juice and end up destroyed 95% of the time when fighting these assholes. But with the method I suggest, it's a simple matter to (in my case) use the Shredder gauntlet on their legs until they die. It can be set up to basically bypass their leg armor and does lots of DoT that doesn't splash, so you can safely preserve the Sacs while minimizing threat to yourself. Which is how I got all the Sacs I used for upgrades, I basically never fought them straight-up once I found out this trick. Just be careful if you're good at catching the Shredder disc because if if you throw and catch multiple times, the third hit will cause an elemental explosion and you don't want that (because it could set off a Sac). But any weapon you like that fires fairly straight is a good option; anything with an upward arc tends to hit the upper body of the Claw first and obviously that's an issue.

Not too fussed about the jumping around; I have a maxed ropecaster, 2 lines and the stupid bear can't move.
    I'll give the shredder a go but I can't imagine it's more effective than "frost -> sustained bolt caster".
    I don't have an issue with popping the belly sac, it's just that after popping the 2 shoulder flasks, the 4 ass canisters and the 2 shoulder canisters ... the bear still has a ton of HP and I have nothing left to shoot at.
    I guess the more precise question is: which weapon(s) do the most damage to unarmored machines?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think exploding spikes are the general resort when you just want to do damage.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The other bit with the fact that it feels like everything is an Apex is that the Cauldron rewards and the entire machine tamer skill tree feel silly. Like, at this point I don't even remember override as an option, because it feels like almost every time I look into a pod of enemies and think "okay, this looks tough, I could start out by overriding one as decoy", start scanning, and yeah, so turns out anything even slightly useful in there is Apex and thus immune to overrides.

• Options
    Usually when I had a group of machines at least one wouldn't be Apex, presumably to keep overrides usable.

Apex variants supposedly turn up when you kill a lot of that type in a specific short period, so they naturally end up spawning more when you're farming parts.
    Maybe you can cut it down by bouncing between different machines to keep the variety up?

• Options
    Jean-LucJean-Luc Registered User regular
    edited April 2
    After she's eaten enough buckets of blueberries for her skeleton to reconstitute itself Alloy decides it's time to have some fun for a change.
    tx8vcho0lhso.jpg

Jean-Luc on
  • Options
    Carja Blazon :heart:

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The day/night cycle strongly effects Apex spawning. If you need something to spawn as Apex, wait until late at night and then go to that spot. If you want less Apex, do stuff during the day.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Someone here was noting that rebinding tab was an issue? It got fixed in today's patch.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I'm just finishing up some quests before going for what looks like the ending, and man, Dreadwings are a fucking nightmare to find or what. Especially for how much their crap is needed to upgrade things. I probably need over like twelve Dreadwing teeth and I don't even know what else, and I've found all of one place where these bastards spawn.

• Options
    edited April 4
    Drascin wrote: »
    I'm just finishing up some quests before going for what looks like the ending, and man, Dreadwings are a fucking nightmare to find or what. Especially for how much their crap is needed to upgrade things. I probably need over like twelve Dreadwing teeth and I don't even know what else, and I've found all of one place where these bastards spawn.

There's a Dreadwing spawn near the big lake along the bottom of the eastern side of the map. It always spawns hanging from underneath a big standing chunk of overpass. I want to say towards the western half of the lake? Pretty sure that's actually the only spawn of theirs that I found on my own. There's at least one story or side mission that will take you near the spot, it's pretty close to a quick travel point.

There's also a nessie spawn waaaaaay down in the furthest right-hand corner of the lake, if and when you need to farm those.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Sometimes there are 2 nessies down there

Afaik the only other repeatable dreadwing spawn is the one in the mountains where there’s also a stormbird

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Sometimes there are 2 nessies down there

Afaik the only other repeatable dreadwing spawn is the one in the mountains where there’s also a stormbird

PS5 version I just cycled between different spawns when farming.

• Options
    I murdered 12 normal slaughterspines, trying to proc an apex.
    the grind in this game is so unbelievably stupid.

Does anyone know if using the duplication glitch will bork your game in anyway?

• Options
    I didn't know there was a duplication glitch.
    For the PC version, I'm surprised there isn't already an easy upgrades mod. Just change every quantity requirement to 1.

• Options
    Game progress and region affect Apex spawning as well. If you're too early in the game, they don't spawn much whereas late-game they spawn all the time.

I remember the stuff I needed was Fireclaw Sacs, Slitherfang grinders, Tremortusk hearts, and whatever it was from Slaughterspines. In order, those had a spawn in the western swamp, one in the middle of the desert, one high in the mountains, and one on the southwestern beach and I could check the spawn within 10-30 seconds of reaching the fast travel point. So I'd rest until sunset, then cycle through the spawns. No Apex, move on. The distance was far enough that it would reset the spawns.

I don't think I maxed any weapon for upgrades. I think maybe one level away from max, but I simply didn't have the patience to spend the stupid amounts of time grinding that shit out. And you definitely do not need to max anything out to get overpowered by the end of the game so honestly, I wouldn't waste my time shooting for it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, the truly silly thing about the system is that my mediocre ass beat the game with no real trouble with just a weapon wheel full of mostly purples (having abandoned attempts to upgrade other stuff beyond blue). There's just no real point to upgrading stuff all the way unless you genuinely enjoy the grind.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Abandon the grind, choose happiness.
    6k81vu0britf.jpg

• Options
    All the machines in this game are on speed, crack and steroids. All the drugs.

I'm making progress though.

• Options
    edited April 13
    I'm enjoying the game a lot more now but there is something more annoying than parts you have to shoot off to farm. Parts you can't destroy or they don't drop.

Bellowbacks and Spikesnouts in particular. Not at the point yet where machines go down easy so it's just a pain not to hit those spots for damage. Combined with limited ammunition for sharpshot bows it's getting on my bloody nerves.

danx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Just started.

I'm enjoying it. I had heard a lot of complaints about Aloys characterization prior to this but I find it... understandable?

I don't know why people thought someone who was raised with zero social graces would suddenly be able to express themselves properly because people liked them.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 13
    Also, I'm really glad I don't play collectathon games at all, otherwise some of this fetch quest stuff wouldn't feel so novel and would've probably had me a feel a lot more negatively about the game as a whole.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Just started.

I'm enjoying it. I had heard a lot of complaints about Aloys characterization prior to this but I find it... understandable?

I don't know why people thought someone who was raised with zero social graces would suddenly be able to express themselves properly because people liked them.

It’s not a complaint from me, just an acknowledgment she’s a giant jerk.

Makes her journey all the better as she learns how to be a friend.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I mean, it's the eternal balance between "She/You are the protagonist, and thus expected to do everything worth doing in this world" versus "we just spent an entire game building up a cadre of allies and associates who are willing to lay down their lives, especially with a potential End Of The World And Life As We Know It scenario playing out, but sure, yeah, you go run off and do it all by yourself again."

As JRX just started the game, I will very pointedly not say whether or not that persists through to the end, but it is a hair jarring nonetheless.

I enjoy Aloy as a character, I loved both games and I'm good for a third as soon as it comes out. Most of my critiques/complaints are more about some of the design choices, like the now thoroughly discussed upgrade materials issue, but I have to admit there were some story beats/elements (at least early on) that I was less fond of.

Still a great game, still enjoyed it, still looking forward to the next one.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited April 14
    Also, I'm really glad I don't play collectathon games at all, otherwise some of this fetch quest stuff wouldn't feel so novel and would've probably had me a feel a lot more negatively about the game as a whole.

The first game did a good job being an open world game that doesn't waste your time. Lots to do but it was fun and the map wasn't choking in icons and trivial tasks.

With HFW I'm not sure yet. As a sequel it needs to be bigger but there's a risk of going too far. I'm not feeling the grind all that much with blue items and "doing shit" has been pretty fun so far but the map is BIG.

It helps a lot that the world itself is just so beautiful and "zen" to travel through.
    1g9vga0h6aob.jpg
    I wonder what Talanah is doing now...
    sn3yhoga5mki.jpg

Gotta find that clawstrider razor tail tommorow.
    b8ckhgfcsdcr.jpg

It's ok to pose for a bit, no one's around.
    92suittndhzy.jpg

Will I have time to finish all the side quests, activities and upgrades before the world ends?
    dbosx6r5oldi.jpg

Alloy is an olympic level athlete in multiple disciplines but has the lung capacity of an asthmatic 5 year old.
    h975f8i5e6fi.jpg

She has special idle animations when rain or other water drops fall on her, they're quite extensive.
    pnk4ne9k8p38.jpg

Joy is found at terminal velocity.
    zp4rn75umxaj.jpg
    v8hxx7fnmdh6.jpg
    s4argq0g4r9z.jpg

Jean-Luc on
  • Options
    I think you're going to like Aloy's story Jean-Luc

especially Burning Shores

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

I expect so, the devs would need to work really had at effing it up to put me off. I just hope I get to it, it's been 30+ hrs and I've only reactivated the "home base". Always been a side quest completionist but with them straight up giving you skill points there's just no leaving them behind.

• Options
    Jean-Luc wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

I expect so, the devs would need to work really had at effing it up to put me off. I just hope I get to it, it's been 30+ hrs and I've only reactivated the "home base". Always been a side quest completionist but with them straight up giving you skill points there's just no leaving them behind.

If I may make a suggestion

timebox the sidequests

you'll have time to get to them after you finish the game

• Options
    The
    2 hippos in the cauldron

was everything I disliked about some aspects of HZD's combat all rolled into one. Spammy attacks, zero time to attack because you're constantly being hit, just kind of an insipid fight, and this came after a killer mounted hunt for salvage that I loved which threw it even more into contrast.

• Options
    edited April 14
    Forar wrote: »
    I mean, it's the eternal balance between "She/You are the protagonist, and thus expected to do everything worth doing in this world" versus "we just spent an entire game building up a cadre of allies and associates who are willing to lay down their lives, especially with a potential End Of The World And Life As We Know It scenario playing out, but sure, yeah, you go run off and do it all by yourself again."

As JRX just started the game, I will very pointedly not say whether or not that persists through to the end, but it is a hair jarring nonetheless.

I enjoy Aloy as a character, I loved both games and I'm good for a third as soon as it comes out. Most of my critiques/complaints are more about some of the design choices, like the now thoroughly discussed upgrade materials issue, but I have to admit there were some story beats/elements (at least early on) that I was less fond of.

Still a great game, still enjoyed it, still looking forward to the next one.

HFW would have made a good Mass Effect style companion game. The bones are there they just have to use it. If the next one was Aloy and
    Kotallo running around doing their thing I'd be so happy.

Haven't finished it so dunno what happen to him. He's my fav new character so far.

danx on
  • Options
    I think HFW did make the mistake of a) having way too much stuff to collect (for upgrading and weapons and stuff) and b) having too many sidequests. My first playthrough was... 80-90 hours? It was quite long. And I definitely started passing by sidequests well before the end of the game, particularly since many of them could involve tedious platforming or multi-step missions. It would be one thing if they all added lore to the world and were worth your time, but that was often not the case.

The upside is that lots and lots of that extraneous stuff really is extraneous. The extra story and lore is mostly in the companion missions and whatnot, aside from one or two of the extended sidequests (like finding all the black box recordings).

• Options
    The
    2 hippos in the cauldron

was everything I disliked about some aspects of HZD's combat all rolled into one. Spammy attacks, zero time to attack because you're constantly being hit, just kind of an insipid fight, and this came after a killer mounted hunt for salvage that I loved which threw it even more into contrast.

the game kinda forces you into using all weapon types (some are slightly ignorable) and combos.
    Hippos are super easy to clap with explosive split spears.

the golden children of the game, that work all the time, however, are:
    - frost debuff + bolt blaster, ideally into weak spots or clustered components
    - elemental shredders. they're just so dang good.

• Options
    edited April 14
    - Explosive bombs, except they limit your resource carrying capacity so you can't just spam them forever.

But you should be able to carry enough to handle a couple boss fights.

Offer not valid for Storm Birds, Glinthawks, or Sunwings.

Orca on
  • Options
    They are real stingy with some ammo types but I think the worst part weaponwise is how long it takes to get a weapon to pop shock cannisters. The warrior bow you get in the daunt is rubbish and has to last a good while. Sure you can upgrade it to another warrior bow but like the first hunter bow is purple quite far in.

• Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    the game kinda forces you into using all weapon types (some are slightly ignorable) and combos.
    Hippos are super easy to clap with explosive split spears.

the golden children of the game, that work all the time, however, are:
    - frost debuff + bolt blaster, ideally into weak spots or clustered components
    - elemental shredders. they're just so dang good.

I really enjoy putting medium and big machines on their ass with the Spinthorn spike thrower. That weapon is so good.