Options

Xenoblade Chronicles: You Will Know Our Games

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    That trailer looked super cool, with combat that looks far too complicated, though I know that's it's schtick. Torna was too too busy.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Looks like you just piss off both sides
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    also it's kind of creepy that only male/female pairings end up making evangelions
    Not holding my breath, but it might be possible to pair up anyone? The trailer just might be using canon pairings, which yeah super het, but as long as they’re not pairing 14-year-olds with adults I’ll consider it a win.

In one of the blurbs they say each of the pairs is set as the ones we have seen.

Of course that doesn't mean weird late game surprises aren't possible. But the basic mechanic is set pairs.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    hot take: lord save me from any more catgirls

Yeah need some dragon girls plz

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, where the catboys at?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    and what's with that stupid wing head? what evolutionary niche is that POSSIBLY filling other than "we can only live at raves"

• Options
    and what's with that stupid wing head? what evolutionary niche is that POSSIBLY filling other than "we can only live at raves"
    The first game explains it, but that’s spoilery so I’ll say shenanigans.

The game is basically a crossover of 1 & 2, so if you hate cat girls or nopon or whatever then bad news.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    The first game explains it, but that’s spoilery so I’ll say shenanigans.

The game is basically a crossover of 1 & 2, so if you hate cat girls or nopon or whatever then bad news.

i will judge nopon on a nopon by nopon basis

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So excited we are getting this a couple months earlier than last announced! :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Everything in that trailer looked like exactly what I want and expect from a Xenoblade game.

We should be well past the point of being surprised or whatever of the level of anime or whatever. The Xeno games are firmly and confidently Xeno games, and it's ok if that's not your bag.

As far as the parings, I won't be surprised if there's story based pairings, then at some point in the game, something major happens and suddenly, everyone will pair with everyone else.

In fact, I hope so, and that we get all sorts of wild designs for those combined thingies (I didn't catch what they were called, I'll just call them Gears :) ), with at least one or two looking inexplicably like Xenogears or Crescens. :lol:

Not really related to the game itself, the fact they're pushing this up to July makes me wonder what they've got on the release slate for the fall/holidays that they're confident enough in? I guess Pokemon will likely be big enough that they won't have to care about any other competition, and probably good to get this far enough away from that behemoth to let it breathe.

EDIT: I'll have to watch it again later when I'm more awake and can catch more references and such.

Also, I almost never check twitter for anything, so if nintendo announces when that special edition will go for sale, can folks post it here to notify those of us who probably won't get any sort of clue otherwise?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

We should be well past the point of being surprised or whatever of the level of anime or whatever.

Nah.

Anime is a bottomless well of horror.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I'm just glad when flipping around the video i apparently missed these special forms so now I can successfully avoid seeing them until the game!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It took an embarrassingly long time for me to realize there aren't any High Entia in XC2. Huh!

Chapter 6 spoiler
    got up to the bit where Zeke's dad attempted to kill Pyra and now Genbu is outta control. Pyra played a video of Addam and, I may be way off here, but... was that Shulk? That guy has some major Shulk vibes!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I'm doubting there's anything but canon pairings because each mech is supposed to uniquely represent the combo of the two characters. Note also that it's not just the sex pairing is hetero, they are also opposing factions pairing, and that latter point probably has major story implications. Like I would bet a big motivation behind the Keves/Angus war is to prevent this kind of merging from happening; this is the principle of Oroboros that both factions seem to agree is abhorrent.

New bit of story/lore speculation because I can't help myself. Spoilers for old games, and probably a big spoiler for this one if I guess right.
    I think the party and maybe nearly all of Keves/Angus are artificial lifeforms of some kind. Maybe a variant on blades, an ether simulation like how Alvis ran, or something else.

The new evidence here is how the two characters sort of phase out of existence before returning as the merged vaguely robotic form. Not what you would expect your normal flesh and blood organism to do.

This would also explain some other things:
    • All six characters are around the same age, and those within each faction grew up with each other. Even though the XC1/2 races they represent originally had vastly different aging speeds. Full blades you could hardly even think of aging at all.
    • At least two of the characters give off dialog that they seem to know exactly how long they have to live. That's possibly connected with "blade clocks." In other words, they might be given an artifical lifespan so they aren't functionally immortal like an Aegis, or tied to a Driver's life like classic Blades.
    • Consider also that Mio/Noah are senders... and they get these ether particles showing up when they play their flute. They may be guiding lost ether from the dead, or even ether infused with some level of consciousness, to their new destinations, perhaps to be reformed as a new artificial lifeform.

As for why they do this. It might be some cataclysm related to the merging wiped out most natural life, or at least humanoid life, from the two worlds. Or maybe they just naturally killed each other off through warfare. The artifical lifeforms are trying to preserve the culture and biology of these lost races. The function of the war might be because their "natural" form is a merged existence, so to replicate the old worlds they have to separate. Oroboros aka merging threatens to erase the old worlds.

This idea isn't too crazy because technically, everyone in XC1 was already an artifical lifeform, and XC2 was crammed with plenty of them. And blades/titans were so intelligent, versatile, and capable of evolution and reproduction, I had to wonder why the Architect even bothered with organic life.

Edit: also just going to say, Addam is one of the playable characters you meet early in Torna expansion, if you want to know exactly what he looks like. It's never revealed in XC2 itself.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    As usual the Japanese site has more info, thankfully some are translating.

There's an updated relationship chart including more of the NPCs shown in the trailer. It also strongly suggests that the fusions ("interlink") are fixed.

Another page mentions some new mechanics, including "class change." It looks like you can pick up the weapons and outfit of other characters and train in it, and then merge arts between two classes in battle. You can see this at a few points in the trailer.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Give me all the character progression! Super interested to see what all the little tweaks are to the battle system.

• Options
    It took an embarrassingly long time for me to realize there aren't any High Entia in XC2. Huh!

Chapter 6 spoiler
    got up to the bit where Zeke's dad attempted to kill Pyra and now Genbu is outta control. Pyra played a video of Addam and, I may be way off here, but... was that Shulk? That guy has some major Shulk vibes!
    Shulk is only available as a DLC Blade.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    XC2 end of Chapter 6
    well. Holy shit. That's gonna be hard to top. Pyra threatening an orbital laser strike on herself was an incredible moment.

Jin has been built up as singularly unstoppable. Imagine he's gonna get nerfed pretty hard by the end, or we somehow talk him out of fighting. Also not really seeing how Malos is the biggest threat, compared to Jin...

Also all 3 of their spare pricks, Akhos and whoever the other two are? I do not care for them. They seem wildly out of place in this villain team. They might work great as an interfering third party, but it's strange these absolute goobers share any aspirations with the deathly serious Jin and Malos.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    XC2 end of Chapter 6
    well. Holy shit. That's gonna be hard to top. Pyra threatening an orbital laser strike on herself was an incredible moment.

Jin has been built up as singularly unstoppable. Imagine he's gonna get nerfed pretty hard by the end, or we somehow talk him out of fighting. Also not really seeing how Malos is the biggest threat, compared to Jin...

Also all 3 of their spare pricks, Akhos and whoever the other two are? I do not care for them. They seem wildly out of place in this villain team. They might work great as an interfering third party, but it's strange these absolute goobers share any aspirations with the deathly serious Jin and Malos.

All I can say is keep playing.... :wink:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    motherfuckin malos son of a bitch

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Malos is such a great villain. He is up there with my favorite villains to hate along with Luca Blight and Seifer.

Also, @Dark Raven X are you planning on playing Torna? It gives so much more depth to practically every major thing that happens in XC2 along with some of the characters you mentioned. Also more Malos, because there should always be more Malos.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Also, I wonder if XC3 mention Pyra/Mythra, Malos, or Alvis. I would love to know what Malos/Mythra thought of Alvis disappearing into another universe.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Xc3 finally appeared on Amazon US for pre order for anyone else that was looking for it!

I know with the Nintendo games sometimes you get stuck waiting on a second shipment if you don't get in early enough.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Is Torna worth playing if I thought the story to XC2 was just okay?

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The Finale of Torna is so epic it makes XC1's ending jealous. But there's a fair amount of pointless faffing and bad Anime comedy leading up to it. At least Malos is a much more sadistic villain here, likewise Lora an improvement over a dolt like Rex, and its definitely interesting to see Jin here vs. what he becomes in XC2. Oh and you also get to spend a lot of time with Addam who was needlessly obscured in XC2, he's certainly a much better character than his ghost. Overall I'm inclined to rate its storytelling over XC2, but not massively so.

The combat system is also significantly changed, with you swapping your blades to take your place in combat instead of just wielding different weapons. Your cast of characters is basically set so that cuts out any gatcha baloney as well as some of the more egregious endgame comps. The setting includes Gormott which is by far the highest quality titan of the first game, as well as the all-new Torna which is among the better ones.

Overall Torna is a bit more focused towards the better elements of XC2, so if you want more of that, give it a go. At the end of the day though it's still more of a refinement than something mind-blowingly different.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The Finale of Torna is so epic it makes XC1's ending jealous. But there's a fair amount of pointless faffing and bad Anime comedy leading up to it. At least Malos is a much more sadistic villain here, likewise Lora an improvement over a dolt like Rex, and its definitely interesting to see Jin here vs. what he becomes in XC2. Oh and you also get to spend a lot of time with Addam who was needlessly obscured in XC2, he's certainly a much better character than his ghost. Overall I'm inclined to rate its storytelling over XC2, but not massively so.

The combat system is also significantly changed, with you swapping your blades to take your place in combat instead of just wielding different weapons. Your cast of characters is basically set so that cuts out any gatcha baloney as well as some of the more egregious endgame comps. The setting includes Gormott which is by far the highest quality titan of the first game, as well as the all-new Torna which is among the better ones.

Overall Torna is a bit more focused towards the better elements of XC2, so if you want more of that, give it a go. At the end of the day though it's still more of a refinement than something mind-blowingly different.

Hmmmm, ok, I'll probably give it a whirl. I didn't realize that about the changes to combat. And no gacha is a big plus to me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Rex should have been a dumb kid who heard of blades, but only saw them as cool weapons that let you fight monsters and stuff. Not as like, people with lives and feelings. Just tools.

This would then provide some elegant overlap with Pyra’s development, as she has severe self-esteem issues precisely due to being a weapon of war, and Rex’s behavior would feed into that self-loathing.

It fixes so much:
    When Rex loses Pyra/Mythra to Torna and considers giving up, now it’s because he feels he isn’t strong or skilled enough to wield the Aegis. So when the party chews him out for refusing to see them as people, it makes more sense than them chewing Rez out for…not caring about them enough? Even though he had been doing that the whole game.

And now Nia’s reveal as a blade carries so much more weight, as it forces Rex to examine everything he thought about her, and forces him to consider blades as more than weapons. So would the reveal that Titans were blades, as now Gramps has to be seen in a new light.

Jesus, and it ties into to the motives of Torna. Their whole beef is how people treat blades as things, so now Jin and Malos have significantly more reason to hate Rex than just because he has the mcguffin. Rex’s development can be what softens Jin’s attitude and shows that people can change and that blades and people can coexist.

You can also use this to fix fucking Tora, as despite Poppi literally being a weapon made by Tora, they’re partners, friends, and care for each other. It’s another crack in Rex AND Malos’s flawed worldviews. It gives Tora and Poppi a better reason to exist than a stupid maid fetish joke. You even have Bana and their artificial as a contrast to why treating blades as objects doesn’t work.

Now I’m mad that we got Rex, the flattest character in the game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I'm somewhere in Chapter 7 and whew Rex is a dense boy.
    the reveal that Nia is a Blade is telegraphed pretty fuckin' early via her getting weakened by the weird anti-Ether field, and Morag n' maybe Zeke seem to pick up on it straight away.

Then she declares her love for him and he's all "I love you too!

...as a friend!"

b r u h

Also had a lore question
    so I get Blade Eaters - a human can take part of a core to gain healing powers and save their life from critical damage.

But what benefit do Blades get from becoming Flesh Eaters? Is it just a way to preserve memories of a loved one?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Also had a lore question
    so I get Blade Eaters - a human can take part of a core to gain healing powers and save their life from critical damage.

But what benefit do Blades get from becoming Flesh Eaters? Is it just a way to preserve memories of a loved one?
    Independence. It's only lightly explored, but blades are low-key slaves of drivers, because they depend upon their driver's life to keep operating, and because there seems to be some degree of built-in inclination to serve the driver. Jin himself says this, when he kills Fan la Norne/Haze, who is forced to do Amalthus' bidding. The sidequests for the Theory and Praxis blades shows what happens when a "bad guy" is your driver, even to the point of ordering you to do things you really don't want to do. There's also a discussion between Zeke and Amalthus that implies that there's a business for bandits selling blades as sex slaves.

The whole blade-driver dynamic is really dark when you think about it, most blades are at best pets like Pokemon, they don't have the independence to be true equals to humans. Aegis like Mythra and Malos are very much the rare exception.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Is Torna worth playing if I thought the story to XC2 was just okay?

The combat in Torna is so good that you'll never be able to go back to the main game again without thinking "Blegh"

• Options
    edited April 2022
    More Chapter 7 stuff
    Malos has a Monado and Nia just killed him with super cancer what the fuck is happening

oh wait he's fine

aaand Pyra has levelled up to a green form and given Rex a spacesuit. And he can equip any Blade now!? Well shit. This is quite the upgrade.

Also we're beneath the cloud sea in what appears to be a destroyed, modern, non fantasy world...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    A bunch of little clips and tiny morsels popping up on Twitter. Just some little details about character roles and such.

I am quite interested still on how the roles affect the special forms.

Both support characters are matched together but the dps and tanks are both split up.

Very interesting... and I wonder how that all works with 2 ai controlled tanks active. Are they going to both be fighting for aggro?

• Options
    More Chapter 7 stuff
    Malos has a Monado and Nia just killed him with super cancer what the fuck is happening

oh wait he's fine

aaand Pyra has levelled up to a green form and given Rex a spacesuit. And he can equip any Blade now!? Well shit. This is quite the upgrade.

Also we're beneath the cloud sea in what appears to be a destroyed, modern, non fantasy world...

Man oh man, from about this point, it's all awesome all the time! I'm a bit jealous that you are getting to experience this for the first time. :smiley:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Also for those that were wondering swapping characters mid combat is in!

I'm a never swapper but I imagine this will be big for a lot of people.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Also for those that were wondering swapping characters mid combat is in!

I'm a never swapper but I imagine this will be big for a lot of people.

This is huge for me as that is something I wanted in the last game.

Speaking of Xenoblade 3, Nintendo just released some battle footage and it looks so good!

https://youtu.be/Mz89OXvzc3k

Looks like the Territorial Rothbart is back and I couldn't be happier to see that scary monkey! :smiley:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    That video isn't making the best case for failing to bring back Xeno 1's attack-while-moving. Kind of ruins those side/back attacks, which got irrelevant pretty fast in 2.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    That video isn't making the best case for failing to bring back Xeno 1's attack-while-moving. Kind of ruins those side/back attacks, which got irrelevant pretty fast in 2.

A big difference is there is no longer the combat move speed penalty. And even an added dash to get around much better in combat.

So I actually think it has a chance to be a good thing. Means you actually have a reason to be watching your character and moving in between regular attacks.

In XC2 it was at odds with itself. Not so much here so we can't compare it directly.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Not sure how I feel about 7 people in a battle, will have to see how that plays out. That's straight up CRPG territory and micromanaging 6-man clusterfucks are usually why I don't often get along with that genre.

• Options
    I think its 6. The 7th is a guest character slot as far as we've seen not a standard part of the party.

I'm assuming a lot of that is because when they combine that puts you back down to 3.

I'm not usually a big fan of active parties that big either. But if you start spending more and more time in the special forms then it starts to make a bit more sense. Hopefully..

• Options
    It was really silly how your party was stricken with arthritis the moment something looked at them mean, so this is a good change.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I think its 6. The 7th is a guest character slot as far as we've seen not a standard part of the party.

I'm assuming a lot of that is because when they combine that puts you back down to 3.

I'm not usually a big fan of active parties that big either. But if you start spending more and more time in the special forms then it starts to make a bit more sense. Hopefully..

We've never seen more than one allied oroborous on the combat field at a time. I'm sure there could be some special scenario where all three show up, but I'm betting in normal gameplay you are limited to one at a time.

It's probably something along the lines of, you have to be controlling a character to initiate their interlink, and can't swap off them without exiting the interlink. And we've been told that the bar they get is like an overheat bar, so that's a limit how long you can stay in the merged oroborous form before something bad happens. Along with the idea of character swapping in combat, there might be an idea to rotate through the oroborous pairs one at a time when you really need the firepower. Regardless for most of the game, I think you are looking at 5+ characters because the overheat mechanics don't support everyone using interlink indefinitely.

rahkeesh2000 on