Options

Xenoblade Chronicles: You Will Know Our Games

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I think its 6. The 7th is a guest character slot as far as we've seen not a standard part of the party.

I'm assuming a lot of that is because when they combine that puts you back down to 3.

I'm not usually a big fan of active parties that big either. But if you start spending more and more time in the special forms then it starts to make a bit more sense. Hopefully..

We've never seen more than one allied oroborous on the combat field at a time. I'm sure there could be some special scenario where all three show up, but I'm betting in normal gameplay you are limited to one at a time.

It's probably something along the lines of, you have to be controlling a character to initiate their interlink, and can't swap off them without exiting the interlink. And we've been told that the bar they get is like an overheat bar, so that's a limit how long you can stay in the merged oroborous form before something bad happens. Along with the idea of character swapping in combat, there might be an idea to rotate through the oroborous pairs one at a time when you really need the firepower. Regardless for most of the game, I think you are looking at 5+ characters because the overheat mechanics don't support everyone using interlink indefinitely.

Interesting! So it will probably be a lot of time with essentially 5 characters out and about. With the exception of some late game shenanigans. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

At least in a game where the other members are primarily ai controlled the larger size shouldn't feel fiddly.

My personal gripe with bigger parties is always just the damage. Since enemies have to survive attacks from so many characters at once you usually don't get to have a character dealing nearly as large of chunks of damage individually which can make it feel like each character is just tickling the enemy a bit.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    My personal gripe with bigger parties is always just the damage. Since enemies have to survive attacks from so many characters at once you usually don't get to have a character dealing nearly as large of chunks of damage individually which can make it feel like each character is just tickling the enemy a bit.

At least when controlling an interlink character, you should have direct control of 2+ character's worth of power. That's probably connected to why they went with a larger party size.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

At least when controlling an interlink character, you should have direct control of 2+ character's worth of power. That's probably connected to why they went with a larger party size.

Yea! Thats why I was saying above that due to the linking stuff if we are using that regularly as part of the combat system it may work out.

So I'm a bit wary! But still excited to see how it shakes out.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I reached a certain point in Chapter 8
    Jin left the party, I got my regular guys back and the destination is the World Tree Roots

Is this the time to go wrap up side quests, or should I keep doing main plot for a while?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I reached a certain point in Chapter 8
    Jin left the party, I got my regular guys back and the destination is the World Tree Roots

Is this the time to go wrap up side quests, or should I keep doing main plot for a while?

This is the best time to go do sidequests. The game does have one cutoff point where a few will become unavailable coming up. (It's basically the only major case of this).

Specific spoilers for what ones get cut off:
    Everything involving Indol becomes unavailable soon. There's only a few quests there and completing the map to worry about iirc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    How necessary is that weird video game in XC2? Because I suck mightily at it.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Only needed to upgrade Poppi.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

I was horrible at it, and after a couple attempts decided I was good never touching it again.

But, as said, if you plan on using Poppi then you're going to need to mess around with it. And I like Poppi, so I watched a video that actually explained how it worked, and it wasn't too bad. I ended up in a pattern where every time I started playing, I'd begin that time by hopping back to Tiger! Tiger! and doing a couple rounds before getting back to where I had been. I never grinded it, or hit my head against the wall trying to get good.

From memory:
    • The basics of the game are to go down in your little submarine, dodging and taking out the enemies, collecting crystals and treasures, until you get to the bottom at which there's a big treasure. Then you have to go back up to the surface, but now you can't attack enemies.
    • There are five medals you can get which massively boost the rewards: killing no enemies, collecting all crystals, collecting all chests, ending with full health, and then another for doing the previous three at the same time. So...
    • Stay on easy difficulty. Harder difficulties will offer better rewards, but failing a dive is a waste of time and a couple easy runs will be worth more than a single successful harder one amongst failures. Likewise, I tended to just play the first level as the enemies are easier to handle.
    • Ignore the crystals. (At first; eventually I could casually pick most of them up, but don't try initially.) The treasures can have big batches of them anyway, and getting all of the treasure chests (and so the medal bonus) is the easiest thing to focus on.
    • On the way down, take out as many enemies as you can so that the trip back up is easy.
    • When you get to the bottom you don't have to grab the big chest right away, but as soon as you do you'll start your ascension. Take a second to carefully clear out enemies and collect the crystals that are there.
    • So: ignore the crystals, focus on clearing enemies and getting all the treasure chests.

• Options
    Yea if you dont use poppy ignore it. I never used them and thus never did it.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    she's the ultimate blade though

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Supposedly it's much easier to farm Poppi's upgrade components in NG+ via other means. So you really only have to do enough Tiger! Tiger! to unlock the affinity chart.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Supposedly it's much easier to farm Poppi's upgrade components in NG+ via other means. So you really only have to do enough Tiger! Tiger! to unlock the affinity chart.

You can directly trade xp for ether crystals in NG+. So you just have to go farm some NMs or something.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

That feels like a mistake for at least one section of the game.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

She's not required for that area but she makes it significantly easier since it doesn't affect her.

• Options
    You don't really need Poppi upgraded at all to slog through normal difficulty anyway.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular

I was horrible at it, and after a couple attempts decided I was good never touching it again.

But, as said, if you plan on using Poppi then you're going to need to mess around with it. And I like Poppi, so I watched a video that actually explained how it worked, and it wasn't too bad. I ended up in a pattern where every time I started playing, I'd begin that time by hopping back to Tiger! Tiger! and doing a couple rounds before getting back to where I had been. I never grinded it, or hit my head against the wall trying to get good.

From memory:
    • The basics of the game are to go down in your little submarine, dodging and taking out the enemies, collecting crystals and treasures, until you get to the bottom at which there's a big treasure. Then you have to go back up to the surface, but now you can't attack enemies.
    • There are five medals you can get which massively boost the rewards: killing no enemies, collecting all crystals, collecting all chests, ending with full health, and then another for doing the previous three at the same time. So...
    • Stay on easy difficulty. Harder difficulties will offer better rewards, but failing a dive is a waste of time and a couple easy runs will be worth more than a single successful harder one amongst failures. Likewise, I tended to just play the first level as the enemies are easier to handle.
    • Ignore the crystals. (At first; eventually I could casually pick most of them up, but don't try initially.) The treasures can have big batches of them anyway, and getting all of the treasure chests (and so the medal bonus) is the easiest thing to focus on.
    • On the way down, take out as many enemies as you can so that the trip back up is easy.
    • When you get to the bottom you don't have to grab the big chest right away, but as soon as you do you'll start your ascension. Take a second to carefully clear out enemies and collect the crystals that are there.
    • So: ignore the crystals, focus on clearing enemies and getting all the treasure chests.

I believe there's also a bonus for killing all enemies as well, but I think it's less than killing none.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I don't remember whatever section this is so I'll assume it went just when I played haha.

• Options

Most people are not playing NG+.

• Options

Most people are not playing NG+.

Hopefully "most people" aren't trying to max out Poppi then because that is a disgusting amount of grind in a pretty crap minigame. Just a PSA to let them know that there is an alternative post-DLC.

In my normal playthrough I replaced Poppi as fast as possible, but still managed to use her to take out a few superbosses with the minimal upgrades gained from unlocking her and Poppibuster's charts. If one were to look at the Bringer of Chaos and higher difficulties, you'd probably want to check out NG+ anyway. Either way you do not have to engage much with this mistake of an upgrade process if you don't want to, which, thank the Architect.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    What makes Poppi good isn’t obtainable until after the main story, so while she’s busted that won’t be during your first playthrough.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I've been trying to do a perfect run on stage 5 of Tiger Tiger for hours. I know it doesn't unlock anything, but I've done it for the first 4... I need this.

Also, started Ursula's Blade Quest! Yo this sucks. But at least her Merc Missions seem to be excellent for filling out Affinity Charts. Figure I can use em to knock out the majority of those for the rest of the rare Blades, and if I happen to complete Ursula's quest in the process, whoo, but if not, well, rip...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I was halfway through Ursula's quest when I stopped, and now it's actively preventing me from either proceeding further through the endgame or starting a New Game+. The entire game is effectively dead to me.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    • Stay on easy difficulty. Harder difficulties will offer better rewards

Actually no, they have the same rewards. Easy difficulty was patched in after people complained about the minigame sucking, the only reason not to use it is bragging rights.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Actually no, they have the same rewards. Easy difficulty was patched in after people complained about the minigame sucking, the only reason not to use it is bragging rights.

Wow.... I guess I just assumed...

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    wow thanks all! <3

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I guess Agate's blade quest was glitched and they never properly fixed it? Was able to clear it, but it was odd! So as soon as you unlock Prospecting Lv.3 the Nopon lady just tells ya straight up where the final dig site is, and you can only go there to resolve the quest. This was the fix because originally, the markers for the Lv.3 dig sites disappear once you unlock the ability to use them? Weird!

Now I'm on to Sheba's, seems a lot more straightforward.

Edit: lol

https://youtu.be/zL7xxg85PKI

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I guess Agate's blade quest was glitched and they never properly fixed it? Was able to clear it, but it was odd! So as soon as you unlock Prospecting Lv.3 the Nopon lady just tells ya straight up where the final dig site is, and you can only go there to resolve the quest. This was the fix because originally, the markers for the Lv.3 dig sites disappear once you unlock the ability to use them? Weird!

Now I'm on to Sheba's, seems a lot more straightforward.

Edit: lol

https://youtu.be/zL7xxg85PKI

Sheba's entire questline is very... peculiar.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sheba's also back for a post-game DLC quest which requires a bunch of other rare blades. Female ones, naturally.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    One thing to be aware of just in case is that the final chapter dumps a postgame boss right on top of a spot that Nim needs for her questline. So if you do end up getting her, try not to put that off for too long.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Some more morsels from their twitter(along with more gameplay clips if you want those!)

4 monster types:

Standard

Lucky - random spawns with increased drop rates

Elite - looks like just extra strong spawns of regular enemies

Unique - the usual special named monsters around the world

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Looking like the characters from each side may actually charge their skills differently like some people thought!

One side is skills on cooldown one side requires hitting like the difference between games. All very interesting!

• Options
    Welp. I did Ursula's Blade Quest! Even got some Affinity Charts left to fill out.

Think it's time to finally head up this fuckin' tree tho. We've been in a race against time for the last 30 hours or so.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ursula's quest was super annoying just because of how involved it is...but in the end, I was happy I did it because I loved using Ursula. She was one of my favorite Blades and designs in the game. Her and her polar bear were just adorable.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Ursula is a wonderful design and it annoys me that more of them aren't that good.

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Ursula's quest was super annoying just because of how involved it is...but in the end, I was happy I did it because I loved using Ursula. She was one of my favorite Blades and designs in the game. Her and her polar bear were just adorable.

It's a pity that the quest is built around never using her ever because she's always unavailable.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I really wish they'd port XCX over to the Switch, or otherwise make another overt sci-fi entry in the series. Not that I dislike the fantasy-driven entries, but a change of pace/aesthetic would be nice. Plus, I never owned a WiiU, and I'd like to play it or something like it. Big, transformable Xenogears-looking mechs with laser swords FTW.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I really wish they'd port XCX over to the Switch, or otherwise make another overt sci-fi entry in the series. Not that I dislike the fantasy-driven entries, but a change of pace/aesthetic would be nice. Plus, I never owned a WiiU, and I'd like to play it or something like it. Big, transformable Xenogears-looking mechs with laser swords FTW.

It's an interesting aesthetic. Transforming humanoid mechs, but with a ton of weapons strapped to them and insurance policies for when they get blown up.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

It's an interesting aesthetic. Transforming humanoid mechs, but with a ton of weapons strapped to them and insurance policies for when they get blown up.

Permadeath for your mech was asinine though, it so strongly discouraged using them.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

Permadeath for your mech was asinine though, it so strongly discouraged using them.

Not really, the prompt to have your mech survive was pretty simple to pull off, and it didn't apply to your party members' mechs at all. I'd agree that it didn't really add anything beyond a disproportionately harsh penalty for screwing up a single prompt, though.

• Options
    One thing I'm really hoping for from XB3 is an option to choose camera position.

I cant remember if past games had it. But all the footage is just set wayyy too far back for my liking. So hopefully they just have one of those near - mid - far options.