As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xenoblade Chronicles: You Will Know Our Games

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Not having both your defenders or both your healers as linked pairs ended up being important for some of the fights, for sure.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ...I had lanz/sena as defenders, Noah/Mio as attackers and Eunie/Taion as support because I liked having each pair matching roles...

I did similarly for awhile, but didn't like having both my Support people Interlinking together when I needed someone stood back up.

In the end, I think I had Lanz and a hero as Defenders, Mio and Eunie doing support, and Noah, Taion, and Sena as Attackers.

Yeah forgot about this. You can't change interlink pairs and abilities, so that's probably the thing that matters most in terms of what roles you give which character. I would certainly move either Eunie or Taion off of the support role and assign to someone else.

I think the issue here is one of those things that seems bigger on paper than in practice. There are many tools to work around this.

I played the whole game like this on hard, not using bonus experience(until end game when it was enough to max everyone)and all super bosses down... and it was legit never an issue.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2023
    You want Taion in any role but healer, as that massive TP is wasted on a role that can’t finish an order.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, he works really well on an attacker or defender role in chains because of his high base TP. Though it's not like chains are hard to murder with if you just put Ashera in slot 7 anyways, she's ridiculous for them.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Hit Chapter 5 this long weekend. I guess I'll spoil this
    The revelations were kind of light/underwhelming for getting to the place I've been going for so long. All stuff I had basically figured out. I guess it tracks that the Swordmarch folks don't actually know that much, they just know enough to fight Agnus/Keves. They know that the war's all fakery, that the soldiers just exist to kill each other and fill flame clocks for life energy etc. etc. They don't really know anything about the Consuls, or why some of our heroes are clones of Consuls.

The revelation that the Kevesi Queen was Melia, THE Melia, was a real shocker. I was under the impression that these games were more thematically linked than story linked. Still, the voice was right, under the vocal effects, and the wings/hair curls were right, it was totally guessable. Of course it wasn't Melia, it was a robot. Still, I suppose that means THE Melia is the missing/exile Queen.

Don't confirm/deny any of my speculation except this yes/no question:
    Do they ever get into why the Keves/Agnus soldiers are humans, Entia, grayface people(Lanz), catgirls(Mio), etc.? Are the other grayfaces and catgirls from XC2? They weren't in 1.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    The revelations were kind of light/underwhelming for getting to the place I've been going for so long. All stuff I had basically figured out. I guess it tracks that the Swordmarch folks don't actually know that much, they just know enough to fight Agnus/Keves. They know that the war's all fakery, that the soldiers just exist to kill each other and fill flame clocks for life energy etc. etc. They don't really know anything about the Consuls, or why some of our heroes are clones of Consuls.

The revelation that the Kevesi Queen was Melia, THE Melia, was a real shocker. I was under the impression that these games were more thematically linked than story linked. Still, the voice was right, under the vocal effects, and the wings/hair curls were right, it was totally guessable. Of course it wasn't Melia, it was a robot. Still, I suppose that means THE Melia is the missing/exile Queen.

Do they ever get into why the Keves/Agnus soldiers are humans, Entia, grayface people(Lanz), catgirls(Mio), etc.? Are the other grayfaces and catgirls from XC2? They weren't in 1.
    Yes, more or less.

And yes one side is composed of XC1 races and the other side is composed of XC2 races.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Lanz's people are mechons, from XC1.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

They will explain how the division of the two armies relates to XC1/XC2. Don't expect even an acknowledgement of different races existing within the same army though.

• Options
    Partway into Chapter 5:
    on-a-boat-snl-andy-samberg-billboard-650.jpg?w=650

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Question about the Chapter 7 side quests "Why So Busy?" and "Missing In Action":
    So fake queen loyalists attacked and killed the Lost Numbers transporting the supplies, is there an alternate resolution to either side quest? I recall the side quest "The Hunt of Plenty" had the guy you're looking for get saved by the Tirkins, so presumably he would've died if you didn't maintain the alliance in the "Tau-Tirkin Alliance" side quest, is there anything similar?

homogenized on
  • Options
    Question about the Chapter 7 side quests "Why So Busy?" and "Missing In Action":
    So fake queen loyalists attacked and killed the Lost Numbers transporting the supplies, is there an alternate resolution to either side quest? I recall the side quest "The Hunt of Plenty" had the guy you're looking for get saved by the Tirkins, so presumably he would've died if you didn't maintain the alliance in the "Tau-Tirkin Alliance" side quest, is there anything similar?

My understanding is no.
    There's an extra scene afterwards if you bring Ghondor, but it doesn't change the outcome.

• Options
    Zeon's ascension quest: maybe the most tedious quest of all time?

• Options

But also
    w2tqfqt8eak1.png

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

Ursula.

Nothing will every top XC2's Ursula, in any game.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options

Ursula.

It's a shame, she has such a good design.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ursula is one of my favorite blades from XC2. But her quest...I was so happy when I was done. It was just booooooring!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It's a shame, she has such a good design.

Yeah. One of the best.

Weirdly, her designer (Risa Ebata) also did Dahlia, who... doesn't single-handedly contribute to XC2's reputation, but factors in a lot.

(Of course, the Dahlia concept art is much tamer than she ended up. So it might have been a case of the dev team pushing things too far. Actually, considering they're both Ice blades, I wonder if Ursula was "a consolation" for taking the Dahlia concepts and turning them into what we got.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular

Ursula.

I was lucky and got Ursula early, so the near endless away missions for that were kind of nice to have around to level up all the generic blades.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Been watching Noah's VA play XC3. He just got to the end of Chapter 5 :3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygBgOiMoWIc

At the start "I've got a good feeling about this. I think everything's going to be fine, right?" :P

And at the end "I did about half the lines in that and it took me by surprise!" :D

Fun to see his reactions since he kinda sorta knows some of the plot but he's never seen the whole thing put together (and probably didn't get much context to what he was voicing) so most of it is still new to him.

Also constantly being reminded watching this of how god damn amazing this game is. Even Harry is constantly blown away by the level of storytelling going on. Also been fun watching him get way better at the game. He started out really sucking (as is to be expected, he's not really much of a gamer) and now he's executing chain attacks like a pro. It's been cool to watch :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Spent my past 3 sessions clearing up old colony quests. Have gained one level in 3 sessions, but not bothered by it yet. Is there a point to doing these old ones, are they leading up to something? It seems like each colony has its own storyline, and a few cross over. I just need to keep my inner completionist reined in or I'm going to burn out trying to collect all the shit for Level X gems.

• Options
    Does the game "remember" your loadout for a class if you change and change back to it?

I'd love to get in there and really tweak gems/accessories/arts/skills but I'm changing classes so often it doesn't seem worth it right now. Doing all 4 of those times 6 characters each time I class change--no. At least now I'm getting to the class ascension quests and someone can stick around longer.

What would actually be smart would be to pick roles for each character and start focusing on classes that have the arts and skills I want to equip on them at endgame.

Something like:
    Main Tank
    Off-Tank/Large group tank/good damage
    Healer Main
    Healer Buffer (or debuffer)
    Attacker A
    Attacker B (debuffer?)

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Looks good to me! I used a similar set up role wise with my team and it worked great.

And I believe it remembers set-ups for classes you've already been on.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Does the game "remember" your loadout for a class if you change and change back to it?

I'd love to get in there and really tweak gems/accessories/arts/skills but I'm changing classes so often it doesn't seem worth it right now. Doing all 4 of those times 6 characters each time I class change--no. At least now I'm getting to the class ascension quests and someone can stick around longer.

What would actually be smart would be to pick roles for each character and start focusing on classes that have the arts and skills I want to equip on them at endgame.

Something like:
    Main Tank
    Off-Tank/Large group tank/good damage
    Healer Main
    Healer Buffer (or debuffer)
    Attacker A
    Attacker B (debuffer?)

The game tries to remember the last loadout for each class per character yes, including arts, gems and accessories. If some accessories are unavailable they may equip something random.

You can also go to the isle of challenge (guess you need to buy DLC?) to unlock party loadouts that you can manually save and load.

Debuffs are pretty garbo, aside from bleed/burn I would ignore. Ogre on break duty with a break accessory will make comboing bosses vastly easier, since they cut through break resist so well.

Both Signifier and Troubador are healers with insane buffs, though you might not have them yet. Stacking the party with buffs also makes Eunie/Taion interlink completely broken with their damage-per-buff trait, especially in chain attacks.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    I need a beat the game plan because if I try to do everything I'm going to burn out again. Soul Hacker really threw a wrench in my plans but also made that clear.

I think I've already determined that getting all/any rank X gems is off the table. That looks like a complete nightmare.
    Maxing out Soul Hacker-also probably a bad idea. I did the first two zones just to get a stable of skills. This is possibly a good opportunity to look at a guide and target specific monsters for the actual good skills/arts.

How bad is the time commitment to do all the ascension quests? This one feels the most potentially rewarding storywise, but the few I've done have been pretty involved. Doing ~20 of them seems daunting.
    Maxing colony affinities-Is this done by doing all their quests? I've got a few at rank 4. I've cleared most of the early maps of all sendings, so I've got the little bits there. Also done almost all the collectapedia cards.

• Options
    Usually doing all colony quests gets you fairly close to max affinity. Sometimes you need some collect-o-pedia to make up the difference. There's usually some repeatable one that can be easily farmed with the right replicator if nothing else. The rewards are barely worth it though...

If you're going to do any side content, generally the hero stuff is the highest quality, with a real tangible reward. The ascension quests are also all fully voice-acted, you aren't going to get the same from the colony quests.

The grind on soulhacker is truly absurd. Just getting the skills is one thing, mastering them is another. I wouldn't even dream of it unless you get into more post-game stuff like the superbosses or challenge DLC. (Even then they aren't needed!)

• Options
    Doing the superbosses does not require it at all.

Just put Sena on Ogre and laugh as you have a 90% break chance on even the superbosses. Stunlock or smash, take your pick.

• Options
    I've been getting a lot more hype for this game again watching some let's plays. I feel like we're due a DLC announcement soon? Like the for-reals actual significant content DLC. Wondering if we might see something in the next Nintendo Direct (which usually happens in Feb?)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I've been getting a lot more hype for this game again watching some let's plays. I feel like we're due a DLC announcement soon? Like the for-reals actual significant content DLC. Wondering if we might see something in the next Nintendo Direct (which usually happens in Feb?)

roadmap

Hero 2/ additional Challenge Battles could be shown in Feb direct, but that might be too early for April release. And we still got a long ways to go (end of year) on the meaty Story DLC.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Warlock82 wrote: »

roadmap

Hero 2/ additional Challenge Battles could be shown in Feb direct, but that might be too early for April release. And we still got a long ways to go (end of year) on the meaty Story DLC.

Oh I thought that was the next thing. Didn't realize there was another hero coming. Wouldn't say Feb direct is too early to announce *that* though, it's only a little over a month away at that point. And ya gotta do it sometime :P (and no sense having another direct in March/early April or something just for that.. they could maybe not announce it ahead of time but I assume they'd want to market the heck out of it)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    If I recall correctly, I think the Ino DLC update happened earlier than the roadmap indicated, so that might happen again with the rest of them.

• Options
    Finished Chapter 5. Had to go to bed in the midst of the scenes. Really heavy stuff, really good! Surprisingly emotional for a video game.

Now I'm kind of rushing into Chapter 6. I know there's a bunch of sidequests to do, but I really want to unlock the final few classes. Then I need to find somewhere with equal-level monsters to unlock them for the rest of the party. I'm just trying to get everyone a new class to share around; I think everyone but Noah gets one late. Awkward, since Lanz just got 2 in a row and I need to unlock both now. I really dislike that while you still get a little CP from low level enemies to rank up classes, the developers arbitrarily decided that it doesn't count towards unlocks. I don't think the game tells you this either, you just have to figure it out or look it up.

Wish there was an online character builder so I could fiddle with it at work. Need to figure out who's sitting in what role and what classes they'll need.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Ascension quests are pretty fine, and are mostly story oriented.
    The stuff you mentioned you won't go after are the actual terrible grindy shit

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Well, it's pretty clear what the story DLC will be.

No indication of when, but knowing what is nice, and maybe tamp down on speculation.

Definitely going to be some folks peeved that it appears to not be a post game thing, though, ya never know how they'll do it all.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Well, it's pretty clear what the story DLC will be.

No indication of when, but knowing what is nice, and maybe tamp down on speculation.

Definitely going to be some folks peeved that it appears to not be a post game thing, though, ya never know how they'll do it all.

Lol Enel still insisting its a sequel but he might turn with some more analysis.

Luxin was also on more on the sequel bandwagon so I'm sure he will try his best to keep that alive with a 2 hour video.

Edit: there's visual proof that the last shot is set in Aionios (or at least a merged world) so gonna be real tough to cope.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I was hoping that the DLC story would be about the founders. Glad that we get more Shulk and hopefully Rex.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I was hoping that the DLC story would be about the founders. Glad that we get more Shulk and hopefully Rex.

Rex is right there next to Shulk. (Is he un-rexognizable?)

The last guy matches the Vandham founder pretty well.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Rex is right there next to Shulk. (Is he un-rexognizable?)

The last guy matches the Vandham founder pretty well.

Swoll Rex is going to have an...uh...effect on some people.

And that's funny that some folks are still holding onto it not being a prequel.

I mean, hey, it could be a big twist, or take place in different eras, or something, but I've been saying for some time now that it was definitely going to be a prequel like Torna.

And as I said last time I shared thoughts on it (looks like november), I think it's going to answer some questions that the main game leaves unclear, and subsequently end up with some more resolution to the ending of the main game; I just don't expect it to go so far as giving an epilogue, or at least not one that those who were hellbent on expecting DLC that takes place post game, would be satisfied with.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    And that's funny that some folks are still holding onto it not being a prequel.

LOL really? Like, regardless of if you ignore Shulk and Rex being there, they literally show the guy who is a founder statue that they said looks like Noah (the one based on the Xenogears design). Like, it doesn't get more clear than that :P

• Options
    So I've been thinking about the story DLC...

Alvis is totally Mobieus A, isn't he?

• Options
    Even if its in the trailer, probably best to spoil it.