Options

Xenoblade Chronicles: You Will Know Our Games

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
    I'm still processing it, but I think I hated it? I've heard that the post-game is good, but I have no desire to play it to find out.
    The core crystal thing never sat right with me, even after reading up on it to maximise my chances I never felt like it broke in my favour (Zeke got nothing but healing blades, Morag got three attack blades (all fire), and Nia got the only rare Darkness blade to pop for me in the entire playthrough.
    I was still using common blades in the final fight because that was the only way I could get all the elements for combos.

Would quests that result in a specific blade that you can then pick who to assign to really have been so hard?
    3... isn't like this, right? Specifically the RNG for party member setups and half a dozen people all talking at once? It was manageable with three people.

No RNG for party setup, it uses a Job system with Jobs being tied to character quests. Party members are still chatty but since the core team of 6 is consistent there's a bit of variety. And nothing as excessive as 'Don't forget me!' (Although I believe that got toned down eventually). The other nice thing with the consistent party of 6 is they'll actually chime in for quest dialogue with actual relevant dialogue rather than generic "Yeah lets do it Reyn" type stuff.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    XC2's postgame is pretty good if only because the system is built around absurd chain attacks that deal half a boss's health bar. Which is another reason why the main story of it is such a slog because you're not fighting bosses all the time and the combat system feels terrible because everything dies before you can make a proper chain off it.

XC3 also fixes that by not relying on setting up on just one enemy for chain attacks AND you have the fusion system and ability to switch characters mid-battle to keep things interesting. XC3's story is also light-years better (unless we're counting the DLCs)

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Did you use art regeneration pouch items? They make a substantial difference on how much fun the combat is.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Did you use art regeneration pouch items? They make a substantial difference on how much fun the combat is.

I did, and the combat wasn't bad once I got the hang of it. The random party members meaning I ended up with way too many healers in order to cover the elements didn't add anything to it, though. I really think that if they just gave you a quest to get a specific blade (and let you see what it was before you bound it to someone) that'd cover 90% of my problems with it (and maybe cut down on the people talking over each other for the last 10%). The core crystal mechanic just makes me wonder if it was envisioned as a free2play game at some point.

I took a few days off to decompress and started the Torna DLC. It looks like it's fixed blades for everyone, so that's my biggest problem already solved (no element combos, though, unless they show up later? I just reached Gormott, and I'm already enjoying it more).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Attacking canceling is also big to making combat better, but it doesn’t resolve the core issues of getting through the main story (gacha, smaller fights are boring, game has a fetish for taking characters out of your party, game devolves into walking through boring corridors with enemies that spawn in front of you)

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Up to ch4, Battles have been too slow in XC2 (it shouldn't take five minutes to clear trash in a game like this) so trying the radical idea of putting more attack increasing gear on my party and blades while making sure as many blades as possible are equipped with break, topple, launch and smash.

Worried about Tora losing aggro but see people online insist party members don't need boosts from equipment to do their roles so heres hopin.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Up to ch4, Battles have been too slow in XC2 (it shouldn't take five minutes to clear trash in a game like this) so trying the radical idea of putting more attack increasing gear on my party and blades while making sure as many blades as possible are equipped with break, topple, launch and smash.

Worried about Tora losing aggro but see people online insist party members don't need boosts from equipment to do their roles so heres hopin.

Make sure you're layering driver and blade combos. If you do blade combo on a break/toppled enemy you do way more damage. You can blow anything up that way.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Make sure you're layering driver and blade combos. If you do blade combo on a break/toppled enemy you do way more damage. You can blow anything up that way.
    How much do you guys focus on keeping your break/launch/topple/smash attacks off cooldown and acessable? Do you refrain as long as possible because you're never sure if the other party members will start it with break/etc or do you just say fuck it and use those attacks anyway to keep up DPS anyway?

Sometimes feels like it can take an eternity to start the sequence via the other characters or they botch it and Nia never seems to launch when I do it.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I generally just hit them with Break as much as possible. It's not dependant on anyone else setting it up for you, and even just that first stage is enough to make your combos significantly stronger, and the AI will advance that as much as it can.

edit: Also, don't skimp on pouch items, especially ones that give you extra recharge on specials. That adds up to a lot of extra damage.

klemming on
  • Options
    I can feel my soul dying whenever theres a zeke cutscene.

Help me.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I can feel my soul dying whenever theres a zeke cutscene.

Help me.

Zeke was the best! I legit used him as my main character so I could stop seeing Rex's lame butt running around haha.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Man, I love Zeke. He's a goober but you feel for him once you learn a bit about his past.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I just find him painfully unfunny in a very anime gag character sort of way.

On top of all the other stuff that bugs or irritates me in the game, his brand of cringe really is kind of a cherry on top of it all I guess.

I don't begrudge anyone for liking him. For me, Its really one of those "dude...I am not in the mood" situations.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I just find him painfully unfunny in a very anime gag character sort of way.

On top of all the other stuff that bugs or irritates me in the game, his brand of cringe really is kind of a cherry on top of it all I guess.

I don't begrudge anyone for liking him. For me, Its really one of those "dude...I am not in the mood" situations.

See I feel like I can't imagine how you could enjoy the game at all if he's too anime cringe! I feel like he's far from the worst of it in that particular game. It was one of my issues with the game even.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Open all chests as Zeke

• Options
    He's annoying before he joins you, but instantly becomes more likable after that.
    The fact that he thinks the best way to say "Hi, I'd like to talk to you" is to attack you is its own problem.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    He's annoying before he joins you, but instantly becomes more likable after that.
    The fact that he thinks the best way to say "Hi, I'd like to talk to you" is to attack you is its own problem.

Nobody actually dies in these fights unless they heroically kill themselves, so its OK.

• Options
    Think I'm going to follow Takeshi's suggestion and play Torna in between Ch7 and Ch8.

Will help break things up abit.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Think I'm going to follow Takeshi's suggestion and play Torna in between Ch7 and Ch8.

Will help break things up abit.

Is it your first playthrough?

It's been a bit, but iirc Torna has some spoilers for the end of the base game. I don't totally recall how major they were or if they would even make sense out of context.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 8
    I'm still slowly playing my way through 3. Almost at 100 hours now and have been spending hours in chapter 5 mapping out the Erythia Sea area. I seem to play it in bursts of a week or two every month or so for 20-30 hours. Loving every minute of it. It's easily one of my favorite games of all time. Maybe someday I'll find the time to play through Xenoblade 1 and 2.

Randomly checking the Xenoblade Reddit and saw that Amiibos for Noah and Mio came out. I was luckily able to order them from Best Buy before the sold out and they look awesome. Best Buy's stock seems to come in waves, and local Gamestops made still have them.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'm still slowly playing my way through 3. Almost at 100 hours now and have been spending hours in chapter 5 mapping out the Erythia Sea area. I seem to play it in bursts of a week or two every month or so for 20-30 hours. Loving every minute of it. It's easily one of my favorite games of all time. Maybe someday I'll find the time to play through Xenoblade 1 and 2.

Randomly checking the Xenoblade Reddit and saw that Amiibos for Noah and Mio came out. I was luckily able to order them from Best Buy before the sold out and they look awesome. Best Buy's stock seems to come in waves, and local Gamestops made still have them.

If you like 3 so much, then you should greatly enjoy 1 and probably 2 as well, depending on your tolerance to anime tropes.

Also, the Torna DLC for 2 is amazing.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    physi_marc wrote: »

If you like 3 so much, then you should greatly enjoy 1 and probably 2 as well, depending on your tolerance to anime tropes.

You also pretty much have to play 1 and 2 for Future Redeemed to make any sense, and that is one great DLC.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    Oh hey, since I saw this was bumped, I should point this out:

Can has Noah plz too GoodSmile? :3 Though he is a guy so they probably won't do it. Eunie tho, woooooo! Would not mind a Taion too :3 Hell, can I just have the full XC3 main cast?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    physi_marc wrote: »

You also pretty much have to play 1 and 2 for Future Redeemed to make any sense, and that is one great DLC.

My tolerance is quite high. It's more a matter of finding time to play through a couple of 100+ hour games. I have a sealed copy of 1 for the Wii I bought many years ago on a whim knowing it was hard to find if I ever wanted to play it. I'll just get them both for the Switch at some point.

I bought the 3 DLC pack without realizing I need to play through 1 and 2 before playing Future Redeemed. Worth it for the outfits, coins, and extra hero characters for the time being.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    In fairness XC2 might be semi-optional. Future Redeemed goes mucher harder on XC1 than 2, with its main plot picking up on things established in XC1, and the environment pulls harder from it as well. If you want to play them all though, that's the order I would go in.

• Options
    Failing that you could just watch a video on youtube to get the gist of it.
    I'm not a fan of people insisting that you have to play a couple of 100 hour games in order to play this new one, as they're just telling me to play something else that doesn't require that.
    I played Witcher 3 after watching a ten minute video to summarise the previous two games, and I did fine.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 16
    Failing that you could just watch a video on youtube to get the gist of it.
    I'm not a fan of people insisting that you have to play a couple of 100 hour games in order to play this new one, as they're just telling me to play something else that doesn't require that.
    I played Witcher 3 after watching a ten minute video to summarise the previous two games, and I did fine.

At some point I probably need to take this advice. Love XB1, but having a lot of decision paralysis on playing 3 because of the weirdness of 2.

I have a decently high tolerance for anime weirdness -- I enjoy some of the silly anime moments in the game. But there are times it gets offputting, aaaand the combat just never clicked with me while I love the combat in XB1. I'm in it for the story, but to finish such long games I need to at least kind of enjoy the combat. The whole "slow ramp up to mega huge ultimate attack" thing in 2 is just a slog on anything that isn't a boss. 1 was so snappy and quick and free flowing and it made fighting random stuff super fun, and every time I boot up 2 to try to get back into it I wind up spending way too much time fighting trash mobs and it just feels off.

Also the gacha Blades are just complete anathema to me.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    You should give the XB2 DLC a shot before moving on to 3, though. It’s a little different from the main game (combat is tweaked, no gacha). It’s fairly short compared to the main games.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I know it's terrible advice to say after 30 hours of tutorial the combat gets better but when you get the ability to swap between 3 blades the combat does feel more dynamic. It just takes 30 hours...
    Also the most important thing to unlock on driver skill trees is arts fully charged at the start of combat. Get all three unlocked on all drivers and the tedium of waiting for your arts to initally charge is gone

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 23
    Is it just me, or is there a bizarre Fusion Art animation bug in XBC3?

When player controlled, the game always plays the correct animation for Fusion Arts: the character acts out the art you used, with the mechanical effects of the linked Master Art tacked on, like more damage, buffs, or debuffs. This is what I expect from Fusion Arts; it's how they're explained by the game.

When a CPU-controlled character uses a Fusion Art, they often act out the Master Art animation instead, even temporarily wielding the other class' weapon. This happens to party members you're not controlling, and if you enable auto battle it even happens to the currently selected character.

This impacts gameplay since Master Art animations can be significantly longer or shorter than the arts another class uses. For example, Noah as the first DLC class uses Refractive Edge, which has a fast, 2 second animation. I have its master art set as Crash Out from Lanz's initial class. Crash Out has a slow, 6-7 second animation. When Noah acts out Crash Out instead of Refractive Edge, this impacts Noah's performance in his role by tying him up 3 times as long. That's enough for enemy aggro to switch and cause your party setup to fall apart in a difficult battle. Very not cool.

It was easy enough to catch in a video.

Mild DLC spoiler, in case you don't want to see how one of the classes looks.

I'm seeing this all over the place, so long as the character is controlled by the CPU and I have Fusion Arts set. I first noticed it when I started using Maximum Voltage as a Fusion Art, and saw a whole bunch of Ogre Hammers being pumped like barbells in a party with no one's class set to Ogre.

Edit: Reported to Nintendo Support. Hopefully it gets fixed.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited July 15
    Well, only took about 118 hours and level 65 but I think combat is finally starting to gel with me more in XC2.

Once I hit Chapter 7, gonna take a break and play Torna, then come back once finished. Not big on the story or characters so it spoiling anything much later in the game won't bother me too much, want to see how it feels sandwhiched in between where it was originally going to go in the main game when it was planned to be included and much smaller.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Well, only took about 118 hours and level 65 but I think combat is finally starting to gel with me more in XC2.

Once I hit Chapter 7, gonna take a break and play Torna, then come back once finished. Not big on the story or characters so it spoiling anything much later in the game won't bother me too much, want to see how it feels sandwhiched in between where it was originally going to go in the main game when it was planned to be included and much smaller.

Are you using driver art regen pouch items? They make the battle system significantly faster.

• Options
    edited July 15

Are you using driver art regen pouch items? They make the battle system significantly faster.
    Yep. Nerciper jelly and the other one is my bread and butter across the entire party.

In other news, lost like four hours of progress because of a game crash. Was mostly getting tedious affinity chart stuff done. Fuck my life.

First one I ever had with this game though. Really made me lax on save spamming.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    The story generally was originally planned to be in that location, but they definitely padded out the story and include lots of references to things post-chapter 7 that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

So there definitely will be spoilers of various things

But also I'd warn you that coming back to XC2 after Torna, if you're already struggling with the feel of combat, will be rough. Torna is tuned around a very specific set of characters and feels much tighter, without any real fiddling with getting the right blades, combos etc.

If you're that high level though, you should be ablet to crit heal spam with Mythra, which trivializes a huge swath of the game (basically anything minus superbosses)

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The story generally was originally planned to be in that location, but they definitely padded out the story and include lots of references to things post-chapter 7 that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

So there definitely will be spoilers of various things

But also I'd warn you that coming back to XC2 after Torna, if you're already struggling with the feel of combat, will be rough. Torna is tuned around a very specific set of characters and feels much tighter, without any real fiddling with getting the right blades, combos etc.

If you're that high level though, you should be ablet to crit heal spam with Mythra, which trivializes a huge swath of the game (basically anything minus superbosses)
    Can you get away with only one healing blade on Nia with attack types the rest?

Rex has got Mythra and Morag self healing of her own. Figure it would speed battles up more since I hear dedicated healing is a lesser concern at endgame.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    If you really want to speedrun the end, you can pretty easily. Watch the speedrun strats for the bosses and you can avoid all combat you want to.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I love all of the games, including 2!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 16
    Think XC2 will always be too aggressively anime/otaku bait with the character designs, goofy humor and writing for me to ever really respect it.

Xenosaga and XC1 (especially when Shulk develops toddler level morality about 70% through and the story starts to fall off a cliff until the awesome lore reveal that recontextualizes the world in a cool way) weren't perfect but it did feel like there was a certain prestige Takahashi was trying to aim for with them.

XC1 deliberately felt like it was targetting a wider/younger audience of course but XC2 feels oddly self defeating or pandering at times in comparison in how shameless it feels here.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    XC2 was made with a much smaller budget/team than XC1 (or 3) so I assume they were just kind of desperate to get noticed by some kind of niche.

XC3 writing has the series trying to take itself seriously again, but it seems like they ended up selling a bit less than XC2, so...

• Options
    edited July 16
    XC2 was made with a much smaller budget/team than XC1 (or 3) so I assume they were just kind of desperate to get noticed by some kind of niche.

XC3 writing has the series trying to take itself seriously again, but it seems like they ended up selling a bit less than XC2, so...
    Game was still really successful, if I remember right.

Hopefully they stay the course. If the next one bombs, yeah, then I would understand that they might have to start channeling the dark arts again. Wouldn't begrudge em for it.

Dr. Chaos on