As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek]: Now Playing: Lower Decks S3 (Latest seasons of current shows in spoilers)

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Sneaks wrote: »
    he's a fucking roboto and that isn't mentioned
    Guinan and Jurati both mention it, albeit obliquely.
    - I don't get why he's playing Picard as such a fucking old man, like irl pat stew is more spry. This also sucked in season 1
    - Picard doesn't need a deep dark secret about his mom being beaten up by his dad (or whatever) to show why he can't love, It's fucking stupid and doesn't fit the character
    Given that the latter point is (I believe) autobiographical, it would seem that Jean-Luc Picard is both not enough and too much like Patrick Stewart. (Also, Picard is about a decade older than Stewart.)

Is the direction of Picard’s character something you expected to be completely reworked after season one? I mean, if you’re disappointed you’re disappointed—I get it—but given that Stewart clearly has a (if not the) guiding hand in the direction of the character and he’s still involved… why would it have changed?

ya I more just meant i find it a annoying choice to watch, i wasn't expecting it to change. the other stuff was more real complaints but i did like the ending and i'm very curious to see where they go this season

My only real big issue is
    no beverly mention, it's brutal

My gut is that they couldn't get the actor back for whatever reason and don't want to put the gun on the mantel until they know they can fire it.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Gizmodo of all places did a very nice look back on the union episode from DS9. Thought I would share it.

https://gizmodo.com/star-trek-deep-space-nine-unions-labor-bar-association-1848618866

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    The new ships in Picard Season 2 are pretty. A real step up from the fairly bland Inquiry-class.*

The production designer put up a thread detailing each ship that appears. Spoilers for Picard Season 2 Epsiode 1.

The Inquiry feels like concept art. It's not bad; there are things I really like about it like the nacelles/pylons, but it needs a lot of work. The ship will probably really shine with a refit later on down the line.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    The new ships in Picard Season 2 are pretty. A real step up from the fairly bland Inquiry-class.*

The production designer put up a thread detailing each ship that appears. Spoilers for Picard Season 2 Epsiode 1.

The Inquiry feels like concept art. It's not bad; there are things I really like about it like the nacelles/pylons, but it needs a lot of work. The ship will probably really shine with a refit later on down the line.

Speaking of ship designs, Prodigy season finale
    The Dauntless is such a weird/ugly ship

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    - I don't get why he's playing Picard as such a fucking old man, like irl pat stew is more spry. This also sucked in season 1
    - Picard doesn't need a deep dark secret about his mom being beaten up by his dad (or whatever) to show why he can't love, It's fucking stupid and doesn't fit the character
    Given that the latter point is (I believe) autobiographical, it would seem that Jean-Luc Picard is both not enough and too much like Patrick Stewart. (Also, Picard is about a decade older than Stewart.)

Is the direction of Picard’s character something you expected to be completely reworked after season one? I mean, if you’re disappointed you’re disappointed—I get it—but given that Stewart clearly has a (if not the) guiding hand in the direction of the character and he’s still involved… why would it have changed?

ya I more just meant i find it a annoying choice to watch, i wasn't expecting it to change. the other stuff was more real complaints but i did like the ending and i'm very curious to see where they go this season

My gut is that they couldn't get the actor back for whatever reason and don't want to put the gun on the mantel until they know they can fire it.

Its odd
    People have always shipped them. Theres a strong possibility hes Wesleys bio dad. It needs to be addressed

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I, too, don't talk about my crushes that I had 30 years ago.

if you think that was just a crush then i don't even know what to say to that lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Crusher should definitely appear. TNG and the movies left everything between them unfinished.

But I don't think they should end up together. It's a stronger narrative choice to write two people with a deep connection who intentionally choose not to cross that line. Otherwise, you end up repeating what they've already done with Riker/Troi.

As it stands, I'll bet she doesn't show up until season 3 to close out the show. My guess is that either Worf or Geordi will be this season's returning TNG alum.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I always want the Borg to be an amazingly threatening / scary / formidable threat. I hope they don't get further neutered.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I always want the Borg to be an amazingly threatening / scary / formidable threat. I hope they don't get further neutered.

You'd better not watch Voyager then...

sig.gif
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

I have, hence the term "further" :(. Ah well.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022

I feel like the Borg should've always been the endgame scenario for the Federation when the two expand to their limits within the galaxy. Either the Federation is destroyed and assimilated by the conflict or else manages to reconcile the Borg into a member entity, which still causes the end of the Federation but only because it moves on to being something more.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

I feel like the Borg should've always been the endgame scenario for the Federation when the two expand to their limits within the galaxy. Either the Federation is destroyed and assimilated by the conflict or else manages to reconcile the Borg into a member entity, which still causes the end of the Federation but only because it moves on to being something more.

For a long time, this was my theory for why Q seemed so laser-focused on the Federation and humans in particular—he was preparing Starfleet to face the Borg, since that conflict would determine the fate of the Milky Way.

I’m not sure if that’s still in play, but I’m excited to find out.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Them being unable to get Gates McFadden back would surprise me given that they just had her record new dialogue for a guest appearance on Prodigy.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022

Honestly First Contact did that for me even without Voyager's shenanigans. Worf just chopping a drone up had me all ???? Like, if the Borg are that vulnerable to melee weapons and not to mention them being weirdly vulnerable to the sort of slug throwers that woulda been common on low tech worlds they encounter then why not just have an anti-Borg box full of sci-fi ultra sharp spears and ARs with C-Mags for some low effort House of the Dead fun?

Hell, the wall hack sniper rifle from DS9 should mean a squad with some beers and a comfy couch could clear out a Borg infestation with all the ease of playing Duck Hunt.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The problem with melee attacks is it puts you in range of getting assimilated. Not everyone has plot armor like Worf.

As for the firearms, the issue is that the borg adapt, so sure you might take out some of them with your primitive pop guns, but all that would do is let the borg know they need to protect against that kind of attack.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    First Contact doesn't give any reason to think the Borg are specially vulnerable to bullets or blades. Both times we see them being killed that way it's inside the window where a new weapon works before adaptation kicks in, they don't continue using those weapons even as their other ones are quickly running out.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Hevach wrote: »
    First Contact doesn't give any reason to think the Borg are specially vulnerable to bullets or blades. Both times we see them being killed that way it's inside the window where a new weapon works before adaptation kicks in, they don't continue using those weapons even as their other ones are quickly running out.
    Exactly. The borg adapt to energy, but kinetic energy is still energy.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    This assumes that no-one ever tried hitting the Borg before, which feels like a stretch.

I assume that the drones personal shields just aren't actually that powerful.
    Kinetic energy is still energy, so I'd assume it's harder to guard against than phasers or whatnot. Those can find the right frequency to be nullified/deflected/absorbed, but bullets and blades don't have that. Energy coming in has to be taken directly, and it's too much.

Maybe the drones could be upgraded with awesome shields that could handle all that stuff, but it fails the efficiency test the Borg would use for it, when they'd find it easier to just zerg-rush an enemy.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    This assumes that no-one ever tried hitting the Borg before, which feels like a stretch.

I assume that the drones personal shields just aren't actually that powerful.
    Kinetic energy is still energy, so I'd assume it's harder to guard against than phasers or whatnot. Those can find the right frequency to be nullified/deflected/absorbed, but bullets and blades don't have that. Energy coming in has to be taken directly, and it's too much.

Maybe the drones could be upgraded with awesome shields that could handle all that stuff, but it fails the efficiency test the Borg would use for it, when they'd find it easier to just zerg-rush an enemy.

I always figured it was more a thing where borg shields adapt to what's being used at that time. Someone shoots a drone with a gun, the other drones activate defenses against projectile weapons and continue. It's not that the Borg, as a whole, have never dealt with guns before, but that they didn't have that particular shield operating because they expected the Federation to use phasers, not a holographic tommy gun.

(For further headcannons, maybe First Contact was weird because there was no Borg ship acting as support. When all you have are a few drones and the Queen escaping an exploding ship, you don't bother bringing the full database of weaponry responses with you. The drones were preloaded with anti-phaser defenses, but the other stuff would need to be redeveloped from scratch.)

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The holgraphic bullets aren't even that weird, because they're just high velocity forcefields, which were likely operating at a frequency they were not prepared to deflect. I imagine if Starfleet tried outfiting everyone with handheld force projectors, the Borg would quickly adapt to those as well.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'd argue it's simpler than that and doesn't make the borg less scary. Usually, when they opt to assimilate a species, they wait for them to hit a certain technological threshold. That's probably a point where the species has largely phased out projectile weaponry. So there is little to no point in outfitting most drones with equipment to survive getting shot. Also, people seem to forget that Picard loaded those two drones up with a shit ton of bullets because the average drone can still take a bit of abuse, given that the nanites can repair flesh, the implants probably provide some degree of protection and make it so that it's harder for hits to be lethal. Also projectile weapons is probably fairly easy for the to outlast if they have to because their target will run out of bullets before the Borg probably runs out of drones and the borg likely does have the means to deploy drones that are specialized to deal with an advance species that likes to use projectile weaponry.

As for melee. Not everyone can fight borg drones at the level that either Data or Worf could. Most species probably don't have the physical strength to inflict lethal blows and then doing so requires a mix of experience, skill and knowledge. Then throw in the fact that the typical borg drone is going to just have better endurance than most of their targets. A target fighting them in melee has to avoid getting nanites injecting into them, while also getting effective hits in and that's going to be tiring.

Finally, we also need to look at the drones as expendable. Chances are for every species that is able to deal significant losses to the borg via bullets and melee weapons, they borg are probably assimilating 10 or more other species that they just roll over. So they can just keep throwing more bodies until the target exhausts themselves and gets assimilated. Borg probably also don't care because at the end of the day, that still means they get the technology and biology they were after.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Weapons that were adapted before work again in later episodes. Adaptation isn't persistent, and probably isn't Collective-wide.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    I remember a fanon explanation I came across ages ago for the Borg vulnerability to kinetic weapons was that while they can dissipate energy, they still have to deal with the momentum of the impact. Since their shield emitters are implanted in the soft organic parts of the drone, even if the shield blocks the bullet or sword, the momentum of the impact could rip the implant loose.

• Options
    Weapons that were adapted before work again in later episodes.
    When? For all we whine about Voyager nerfing the Borg, I can't remember them ever repeating the same trick without modifications. They can find a new frequency the Borg haven't adapted to yet or whatever, but they always know they've got a handful of shots before they catch on.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    it would be great if someone discovers a pristine world deep in Borg space populated by a medieval race of humanoids that the Borg are terrified of.

"Ai, the wee metal men come down on their sky castles, so we krump 'em an melt their bits down ta make more choppas"

• Options
    When? For all we whine about Voyager nerfing the Borg, I can't remember them ever repeating the same trick without modifications. They can find a new frequency the Borg haven't adapted to yet or whatever, but they always know they've got a handful of shots before they catch on.

I know it's from TNG and not Voyager, but the "frequency" thing never made sense. Why don't the Borg adapt to deflect an entire range of frequencies at once, instead of adapting to each individual frequency value they lost a drone to?

sig.gif
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular

I know it's from TNG and not Voyager, but the "frequency" thing never made sense. Why don't the Borg adapt to deflect an entire range of frequencies at once, instead of adapting to each individual frequency value they lost a drone to?

I think it is supposed to be analogous to your adaptive immune response, it isn't worth it to keep up all your defenses all the time, but you turn it on once the damage starts adding up to something worth taking notice of. Presumably if you tried to make your way through a cube with M249s the drones would replicate some armor, but otherwise losing some here and there isn't any worse than scuffing your knee, and even your own immune system will just zerg rush stuff into a granuloma ball when it can't kill it directly very easily.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granuloma

• Options
    Also, big thing to remember about the Borg: they don't care how many drones you kill.

A weapon or strategy to which they can't easily adapt would only make the Borg want you more. If the Federation had fallen to that first cube, the Borg would've promptly moved on the next meal, but the Federation won—repeatedly—and so graduated to Rival. They're almost Klingon in that you earn their respect by kicking their ass.

• Options

It's crossing franchises, but there was a bit on Stargate Universe that covered this for me. Their explanation was that energy shields can't deflect everything without drawing massive amounts of power. Ships can do that effectively because they've got warp cores and the like to provide power, but individual drones can't do that. If the hive mind cared about individual drones they'd give them all arc reactors or something, but it's not worth the effort to armor individual bloodcells that much.

In the SGU example they can tune the shields from providing some protection against everything to providing hella good protection against this one energy type, at the cost of leaving them super vulnerable against anything else.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, I suspect it's an efficiency thing as well. Just like you immune system doesn't run armed to kill everything because it's a waste of resources. The borg likely don't bother having their drones immune to every energy frequency because that's a ton of energy and processing power being wasted to counter a ton of stuff that likely isn't incoming. Also again, drones are expendable, it hardly matters to the collective if it loses one or two drones to an energy weapon with a frequency they already knew how to counter. Now they know what frequency their opponent is using and can make efficient use of resources to block that off.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/nxuyzk5DUFc

Strange New Worlds teaser out today.

I am so excited for this.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    That looks really fucking good.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Gilgaron wrote: »

I think it is supposed to be analogous to your adaptive immune response, it isn't worth it to keep up all your defenses all the time, but you turn it on once the damage starts adding up to something worth taking notice of. Presumably if you tried to make your way through a cube with M249s the drones would replicate some armor, but otherwise losing some here and there isn't any worse than scuffing your knee, and even your own immune system will just zerg rush stuff into a granuloma ball when it can't kill it directly very easily.

That would make sense if they didn't waste the bandwidth and resources on staying constantly adapted to every damn thing and instead just did it on the fly as a few drones get blasted. I like that head cannon. Like, they know how to do it but aren't gonna waste the resources on making every drone invulnerable to every damn thing all the time cause that'd just be way too much damn work.

That Strange New Worlds teaser is excellent, too. I loved the transition shot of the Enterprise and the fun cool looking world tourism aspect to it. No GIANT DANGER OH NO GALAXY ENDING intensity just, hey, let's go see what's out there.

EDIT: Also wtf is it with Enterprise Captains and horses?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Gilgaron wrote: »

That would make sense if they didn't waste the bandwidth and resources on staying constantly adapted to every damn thing and instead just did it on the fly as a few drones get blasted. I like that head cannon. Like, they know how to do it but aren't gonna waste the resources on making every drone invulnerable to every damn thing all the time cause that'd just be way too much damn work.

That Strange New Worlds teaser is excellent, too. I loved the transition shot of the Enterprise and the fun cool looking world tourism aspect to it. No GIANT DANGER OH NO GALAXY ENDING intensity just, hey, let's go see what's out there.

I kinda get the impression that Borg adaptation is less "we learned to defend ourselves against this" and more "we learned how this works." They only bother defending themselves because doing otherwise would impede their objective.

They don't say "lower your shields, resistance is futile" because they care about avoiding violence or damaging their target's morale—they say it because for them fighting is a waste of time. Combat is nothing but a means to an end.

Mancingtom on
  • Options
    Also, we got a gameplay trailer for the upcoming Star Trek: Resurgence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SPhKVDVfBE&ab_channel=IGN

I'm really looking forward to this. Telltale-like games are perfect doing Trek games that aren't just pew-pew.

• Options

I was about to write the exact same thing. Like, word for word.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Whoever is doing Spock in that Resurgence trailer has it so fucking nailed that it's almost scary

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    man the show is two months out and we're still getting Whispering Lady Making Barely Coherent Speech trailers?

I would really like to see some, y'know, dialogue. Or these things called "scenes"

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

one of the flashback/illusions in The Cage is literally of Pike's horse ranch in the "Mojave Forest", so the show is at least coming by it honestly.

• Options
    seriously though, every modern star trek live action tv show trailer feels like

whispering woman's voice: stars are really big
    and we are really small
    and planets are medium size
    and space is scary
    but what if scary things...are beautiful?
    let's touch IDIC™s and Make It So™

This discussion has been closed.