Options

Backup all Mac photos [solved]

Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
edited February 2022 in Help / Advice Forum
First, I'm sorry. I'm completely in the woods here.
I've been building and helping people with their PCs for years, but someone tasked me with backing up files (mostly photos) from an old Macbook. And I just can't do it. Everything I try is met with an error or something missing from whatever guide I dig up.

I did manage to make an external backup via time machine but I don't think that's useful to any of us (the Mac owner has passed away and they want to be able to browse his things on other machines in case it ever stops, he had the only Mac in the fam)

Does anyone have some simple advice, maybe a program to try? I'm on Mojave

Edit: osstatus error -1 is a common one when dragging many files over. It eventually just gives up after like 30 minutes of transferring

Hmm this happened last time when I was manually moving files from folders. This time I did it with some export function but this time now the disk is unreadable on the Mac or my PC.

I just keep hitting walls and I don't understand why

Mmmm... Cocks... on

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    We backed up an old Macbook recently. In our case all images were stored in the Photos app. This app seems very dumb and similar to MS Outlook in that it stores all files in a massive library file that is only readable by the App. Meaning the images aren't accessible on the hard drive. I bet there are better ways but what we ended up doing was going into Photos and exporting all images to a folder on the harddrive and then backed the image files up from there.

That might or might not be relevant.

There are other fun things - you say you're encountering errors - are they when you drag files over to an external drive? Mac OS and Windows uses different file systems and there are a bunch to choose from which can yield different results. Some I bet are read only - so it would be possible to hook up an external harddrive that you usually use for Windows to a Mac - and the Mac wouldn't be able to use it at all. It might see the files already on the drive, it might not, might not be able to write to it, it might detect the drive as empty or needing to be formatted. Etc. There are common file systems that work - ExFAT for instance works on both Windows and Mac. Here it might again depend on the age of the operating system - ExFat might not be available - maybe FAT32 is? There are file size constraints but if it's a very old machine you may be limited in your options. From what I saw Mojave was from 2018 so that sounds modern enough.

I always just back up files, never the whole computer, so that is all I know.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I had let the Mac format the external drive and with the flash drive I formated it on my PC. Either way it would start allowing me to transfer files but just stop about a quarter of the way through. Both were serving me the osstatus error -1.

Either way it'll get through hundreds of files and then just give up.

I'd love to try to send everything to a separate folder on the Mac like you suggested. But it's already using 110gigs of memory out of 120.

I had backuped up his iphone to the Mac so that would also backup to the external time machine backup I had made (or so I hope?) Is there a way to delete that? I honestly can't find where I had that stuff at all. When I go to time machine I can't find a single option anymore. It's just a cascade of windows.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Time Machine didn't have a great UI last time I was forced to use it I'm afraid, so I don't really know how to navigate it.

I'm not sure what the osstatus error -1 is but if it's when you transfer files that seems unfortunate.

Would an online backup be an alternative - just to get the files off the Mac? If you can't transfer files between folders locally, perhaps uploading them through a browser interface (Dropbox or similar) might still work? I might try that and maybe clear away files once you know for certain that they are backed up online, in that case. Leaving space to work with.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The thread title says it was solved, mind filling us in on what your solution was? Mac can be a pain in the ass sometimes when it comes to file management, so I wouldn't mind any info you've got.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter