As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] 16 Arrives June 22nd!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    It looks like the typical Team Ninja game to me but I forgot not everyone here plays those kind of games.

But the answer to whether or not the games take themselves seriously is...both.

It's the video game version of a B action movie.

On a serious note though you get so much equipment and I'm wondering is there some meaningful way to recycle it?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    For
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    It looks like the typical Team Ninja game to me but I forgot not everyone here plays those kind of games.

But the answer to whether or not the games take themselves seriously is...both.

It's the video game version of a B action movie.

On a serious note though you get so much equipment and I'm wondering is there some meaningful way to recycle it?

The menus are available to ‘dismantle’ items you don’t need and there are tutorials on how it works but the actual functionality isn’t in the demo. But it seems like a pretty basic ‘dust useless items to upgrade the good ones’

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Anyone using the FF6 Trainer for Steam? I'm curious how it works.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Yeah, that is in no way well-written. It's clunky and... stupid. Nobody goes around talking about what they're "hunting" for or overexplains how somebody is making their crystal vibrate. Just the typical clumsy dialogue every jRPG seems to have these days.

The only marginally amusing part is "hey, we've all got one of the same things, let's be bros", which definitely happens.

Yes, and yet I feel this is entirely in keeping with the spirit of Final Fantasy I's paper thin plot. It would feel weird if it was suddenly well written.

Like, everytime WoL shows up in other stories he is literally just, "TALLY HO HEROES, LET US FIGHT THE DARKNESS!"

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I don't know I think people don't actually pay attention to the plotting and dialogue in their favorite games cause people speak in fancy accents and say "thou"

Maybe that's why games with ridiculous plots don't bother me a lot of the "serious" stuff isn't that much better. Especially if we're talking about the olden days.

But yeah I'm not about pretend like SoP has an award winning plot but it's based off a game that was pretty much about a group of random heroes going to get crystals and its fun so whatever.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Finished my FFVI remaster playthrough! Easier than I remember, though of course it's been a long time since the SNES days and I am expert gamer man now. I knew to make use of Esper stat-boosts for one thing, they make a difference.

Still a beautiful game. FFIV taught me that games could be stories. FFVI taught me games could be art, and made me want to be an artist professionally (which I am, grin). It was great seeing the ending again, it blew my mind as a kid.
    "The characters have last names?!!"

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Finished my FFVI remaster playthrough! Easier than I remember, though of course it's been a long time since the SNES days and I am expert gamer man now. I knew to make use of Esper stat-boosts for one thing, they make a difference.

Still a beautiful game. FFIV taught me that games could be stories. FFVI taught me games could be art, and made me want to be an artist professionally (which I am, grin). It was great seeing the ending again, it blew my mind as a kid.
    "The characters have last names?!!"

Who could forget classic FF6 character
    Locke Ankey
    ?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Locke Cole, IIRC

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Locke Cole, IIRC

i was making a joke. i know all of the names of FF6es.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I got it~!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Locke Cole, IIRC

*shrug* there's a lot of Final Fantasies. Offhand I could only tell you the surnames of all the heroes from 4-7 & 9. That's a little under half of the main series entries with set characters, let alone all the side-series games, where I'd be lost for anything other than Tactics.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Locke Cole, IIRC

*shrug* there's a lot of Final Fantasies. Offhand I could only tell you the surnames of all the heroes from 4-7 & 9. That's a little under half of the main series entries with set characters, let alone all the side-series games, where I'd be lost for anything other than Tactics.

Fair, fair, not a lot of people know Cloud's full name in FF7 is Cloud Coverage.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

I went to a baptist pre-school, and I remember one morning on the playground seeing a kid deeply focused on digging a hole. I asked what he was digging for and he said, with the same straight face as that clip, “I’m digging a hole to hell so I can kill the devil.”

Game of the Year.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

I went to a baptist pre-school, and I remember one morning on the playground seeing a kid deeply focused on digging a hole. I asked what he was digging for and he said, with the same straight face as that clip, “I’m digging a hole to hell so I can kill the devil.”

Game of the Year.

How'd that turn out?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

Game of the Year.

How'd that turn out?

I haven’t talked to him in years, but I hope he’s enjoying writing at Team Ninja.

(Reality: We were foiled by the devil’s greatest allies, tree roots and nap time.)

• Options
    Chaos aside I'm gonna be tickled if we get no FFXVI news this year.

I'll give them a break because the world has been crazy the last few years but still tickled.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Re: everyone getting together because crystals.

This is in Cornelia, where a big thing is that prophecy about the warriors of light and their crystals.

• Options
    It’s also canonically how the crew got together in the original

• Options
    Yeah, everyone just gets together with no real explanation. Granted, it was an NES game with thin plot even by the standards of the other NES FFs. But I do like having some details that mirror the original here.

(Demo story)
    Even if it’s seeming more clear to me that these are actually the darkened crystals that appear with each Fiend in the original

• Options
    Chaos aside I'm gonna be tickled if we get no FFXVI news this year.

I'll give them a break because the world has been crazy the last few years but still tickled.

I’m more interested to see what news we DO get, whenever we get it.

I remember them saying ‘we waited a long time to announce because we wanted to wait until the game was further along so it wouldn’t be a huge dev cycle’ but that was 2 years ago followed by radio silence.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I remember them saying ‘we waited a long time to announce because we wanted to wait until the game was further along so it wouldn’t be a huge dev cycle’ but that was 2 years ago followed by radio silence.

2 Years notice is incredibly short by Square Enix standards.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

2 years notice to what though? That's kind of what I'm saying.

It's entirely possible that we just get a 'we're still working on the game, please be patient'

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Modern SE. They used to pump out games fast!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    When games took a lot less work to make to the standards of "triple A" they put games out much faster sure

3d graphics are what really changed development times

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I could see a release date this summer, or at TGS maybe? But probably not coming out until next year.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I can’t play the demo because there are three little kids in the house.

Things are a bit…chaotic.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    I can’t play the demo because there are three little kids in the house.

Things are a bit…chaotic.

What kid doesn't want to watch the budding if a true bromance?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I mean, the first cutscene is
    Garland murdering his way out of the castle. There is a lot of blood, and only some of it immediately turns into red crystals.

It’s not exactly the thing you want your kids seeing.

• Options
    SoP demo: Pravoka Seagrot.
    Ok, so the Fool’s Missive for the <redacted> Shrine was already suspect. But the one for Pravoka is just straight-up confirming multiverse shenanigans.

“Dimension 14” is a pretty clear reference to Final Fantasy XIV. In particular, it’s implying that the Pravoka Seagrot is modeled after the Sastasha Seagrot that is the first real dungeon of that game.

Previous games, like Dissidia, have used the crossover stuff as retroactive lore for FFI. It seems that SoP is no different; it’s saying that the whole world was designed by someone, based on other worlds and dimensions.

Which is particularly funny when looking at the FFXIV stuff. Because boy howdy does that game borrow from other FFs for area design.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah, everyone just gets together with no real explanation. Granted, it was an NES game with thin plot even by the standards of the other NES FFs. But I do like having some details that mirror the original here.

(Demo story)
    Even if it’s seeming more clear to me that these are actually the darkened crystals that appear with each Fiend in the original

No, that's straight out of the original too.
    You start the game with four lightless crystals ('orbs' in the original localisation) and they light up when you kill a fiend.
    yxT6SM5.jpgnmSYbQb.jpg

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    When games took a lot less work to make to the standards of "triple A" they put games out much faster sure

Yeah no one is doing multiple annual releases these days without huge teams and labor violations.

• Options
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

(Demo story)

No, that's straight out of the original too.
    You start the game with four lightless crystals ('orbs' in the original localisation) and they light up when you kill a fiend.
    yxT6SM5.jpgnmSYbQb.jpg

True. Thing is, (spoilers for things that might be past the demo, but have been shown in trailers)
    there’s a fifth party member they meet later, with her own Crystal. Given that the crystals so far glow yellow (Ash), blue (Jed), and red (Neon), you’d expect Jacks to glow green, for Wind. But it glows plain black.

My assumption is that Jack’s Crystal is actually the dark sphere found in the <snip> Shrine in the original game. It could mean that Jack is the odd one out, and the other four have the true seed crystals (or whatever they are), or that they’re all going to become fiends, and their crystals will be the ones you find in the dungeons in the original game.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Yeah no one is doing multiple annual releases these days without huge teams and labor violations.

even with those, since those are the norm in the industry

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

Game of the Century.

FTFY

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »

Game of the Century.

FTFY

I would try a game where you dig a hole to hell to kill the devil, yeah.

Although as a plan that's not necessarily that well thought out because like... where do you think the devil is going to go when they die?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Reached the end of the demo. It unlocked advanced jobs for the 3 allies, which is nice.

So far, I’m using Lancer and Black Mage most for Jack. Looking forward to getting Dragoon.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Mage is fun but I have to get used to the targeting system.

I mostly did two-handed and mage. Lancer was useful too.

Didn't use knuckles or knives too much cause they didn't do anything different than my big ol sword.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

To an extent, but Square trying to have their cake and eat it too by always developing and using in-house engines for the better part of 15 years also hobbled their speed.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Mage is fun but I have to get used to the targeting system.

I mostly did two-handed and mage. Lancer was useful too.

Didn't use knuckles or knives too much cause they didn't do anything different than my big ol sword.

I tried to use Samurai for a bit. The stance is amazing because it lets you just MASH the basic attack. But the job has almost no range, and I was getting slaughtered by the black Knight. Swapping back to Lancer gave me the balance of range and melee I needed, for when I wasn’t using Mage stuff. I’m sure Samurai can be amazing in the right hands, or with someone who’s really good at parrying.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Pixel remaster fixed the bug (or neglected to reproduce it) with the Wrexsoul fight so you can't just Banish for an instant kill, and now I'm going to have to kill him the right way for the first time ever. Which means unequipping all my awesome gear so I can actually kill my own allies.

This discussion has been closed.