As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[COVID-19] -20, -21, -22, -23...

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh sure. I'm not sure if he didn't think he'd get it or whatever. But for me I'm at the point where if there's a large crowd of people from out of the community (ex: a convention, sporting event, concert, etc) then I'm going to avoid.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Whether the crowd is from in or out of your community makes no difference these days.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Whether the crowd is from in or out of your community makes no difference these days.

If one community is practicing mitigation techniques and is vaccinated, and the other is not, I do think there's a difference.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    This actually gives me a good hypothesis to test for some data I have

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    ymi1yoob402q.png
    San Francisco's Oceanside sewershed readings have surpassed the Omicron peak from January, so that's cool. Let it rip indeed.

Two weeks ago the surge happened. Do we know what the hospitals look like? I also wonder if people are traveling again adding to the mess.

https://sf.gov/data/covid-19-hospitalizations

At the moment...
    exemy2xj6pfw.png

Nothing. Matters.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    ymi1yoob402q.png
    San Francisco's Oceanside sewershed readings have surpassed the Omicron peak from January, so that's cool. Let it rip indeed.

Two weeks ago the surge happened. Do we know what the hospitals look like? I also wonder if people are traveling again adding to the mess.
    Hospitalizations are up in San Francisco (around 100 people right now), but ICU bed availability remains about the same. The Bay Area has always been in the lower and safer numbers for that, though, compared to the rest of the country.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I have a friend in Florida who went on a cruise (who normally wouldn't have but family was in town from Puerto Rico and he hadn't seen them in a while) and unsurprisingly came back with covid along with his family. The cruise required vaccinations.

He's still coughing his lungs out and this is day 10.

My wife was talking to a patient and they told her that they went on a cruise recently and all 3 people came back with covid.

So all those "natural antibodies are better than the vaccine" can go ahead and go on a cruise if they want to test that theory.

When I think of being old and wanting to die horribly far from home from preventable diseases on a sleazy hotel boat, I think of cruise ships.

Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    ymi1yoob402q.png

Hospitalizations are up in San Francisco (around 100 people right now), but ICU bed availability remains about the same. The Bay Area has always been in the lower and safer numbers for that, though, compared to the rest of the country.

Yeah I was going to say 100 people?! For the size of San Francisco that's pretty damn good. I mean it's bad but it just goes to show what vaccines do.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also the Bay area is so many cities that hospital availability is somewhat different.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

If one community is practicing mitigation techniques and is vaccinated, and the other is not, I do think there's a difference.

My community has a big outbreak right now, so I’ll try to go to places with a lot of tourists. Less risk per capita!

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Also the Bay area is so many cities that hospital availability is somewhat different.
    It is a bit different, true. But yeah, historically throughout the pandemic, we haven't seen the packed hospital hellscapes that other states have been dealing with and have been quite fortunate in that regard (at least so far... let's see what this current wave brings).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I have a friend in Florida who went on a cruise (who normally wouldn't have but family was in town from Puerto Rico and he hadn't seen them in a while) and unsurprisingly came back with covid along with his family. The cruise required vaccinations.

My wife was talking to a patient and they told her that they went on a cruise recently and all 3 people came back with covid.

So all those "natural antibodies are better than the vaccine" can go ahead and go on a cruise if they want to test that theory.

My parents and I are going on a river cruise next month. The company requires full vaccination and a negative test within the last 3 days to board, will quarantine everyone in their rooms until they've tested negative a second time, and will have "up to daily" additional tests during the cruise.

I fully expect there to be COVID cases on the boat.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    FDA panel sets June 15 meeting on Pfizer, Moderna Covid vaccines for infants and toddlers

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/23/kids-covid-shots-fda-panel-sets-june-15-meeting-on-pfizer-moderna-vaccines-for-infants-and-toddlers.html

Literally 2 months too late for my nieces, despite my sister's best efforts (and the State of North Carolina's worst) but better than never.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    FDA panel sets June 15 meeting on Pfizer, Moderna Covid vaccines for infants and toddlers

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/23/kids-covid-shots-fda-panel-sets-june-15-meeting-on-pfizer-moderna-vaccines-for-infants-and-toddlers.html

Literally 2 months too late for my nieces, despite my sister's best efforts (and the State of North Carolina's worst) but better than never.

My daughter's birthday is the end of June so I guess at this point she's just waiting till she's five anyways. Sigh

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

My parents and I are going on a river cruise next month. The company requires full vaccination and a negative test within the last 3 days to board, will quarantine everyone in their rooms until they've tested negative a second time, and will have "up to daily" additional tests during the cruise.

I fully expect there to be COVID cases on the boat.

Sister and her husband did a river cruise couple weeks ago. Everyone was tested every morning and couldn't leave their cabin until the results came back. A good 20-30% of the passengers ended up testing positive and having to leave the boat and isolate in various cities along the route.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    For fucks sake. On Sunday my wife's side of the family has a picnic up in Pittsburgh. Probably 9 or 10 different families meeting up.

I just hopped on Facebook and saw one of the groups of families are on a cruise in Alaska right now. And also one of those people has cancer. And will be showing up at the picnic.

But don't worry my wife assumes she's going to stay away from people. WHAT THE FUCK?

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    My parents just tested positive. Fortunately it’s very mild symptoms (per my mom) and they are recovering.

I’ve had more people close to me test positive in the last few weeks than I did the entire rest of the pandemic. I can’t decide if that’s bad now, or if I was just very fortunate before. I’m thinking both.

• AimAim Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Nothing awesome about this. This is six fucking weeks after Moderna submitted their data, because the FDA thought it would be less confusing to just wait and review both companies together. Instead of, you know, treating this like an emergency for an unvaccinated population in the middle of a pandemic. They continue to be absolutely goddam useless during this process.

rndmhero on
    rndmhero wrote: »

Nothing awesome about this. This is six fucking weeks after Moderna submitted their data, because the FDA thought it would be less confusing to just wait and review both companies together. Instead of, you know, treating this like an emergency for an unvaccinated population in the middle of a pandemic. They continue to absolutely goddam useless during this process.

Yeah every approval the FDA has treated like it's just not urgent. This is like a, "clear out your schedule this afternoon" type thing, not even waiting a weekend. Multiple weeks is horrible.

It's unclear to me if they are doing anything in this time. It sounds like they don't look at the data until the date, more or less, is that accurate? If they are spending these weeks doing things and it can't be done faster, that's an entirely different story.

Steam profile
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    rndmhero wrote: »

Nothing awesome about this. This is six fucking weeks after Moderna submitted their data, because the FDA thought it would be less confusing to just wait and review both companies together. Instead of, you know, treating this like an emergency for an unvaccinated population in the middle of a pandemic. They continue to absolutely goddam useless during this process.

Yeah every approval the FDA has treated like it's just not urgent. This is like a, "clear out your schedule this afternoon" type thing, not even waiting a weekend. Multiple weeks is horrible.

It's unclear to me if they are doing anything in this time. It sounds like they don't look at the data until the date, more or less, is that accurate? If they are spending these weeks doing things and it can't be done faster, that's an entirely different story.

Six weeks is insanely fast for them. It’s thousands of pages of data that has to be reviewed, and there will be questions.

Imagine the shit storm if they skimmed it and cleared their afternoon, and there is a serious interaction with the vaccine and toddlers.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Via Nature, Long COVID risk falls only slightly after vaccination.
    Vaccination against SARS-CoV-2 lowers the risk of long COVID after infection by only about 15%, according to a study of more than 13 million people. That’s the largest cohort that has yet been used to examine how much vaccines protect against the condition, but it is unlikely to end the uncertainty.

VuIBhrs.png
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Via Nature, Long COVID risk falls only slightly after vaccination.
    Vaccination against SARS-CoV-2 lowers the risk of long COVID after infection by only about 15%, according to a study of more than 13 million people. That’s the largest cohort that has yet been used to examine how much vaccines protect against the condition, but it is unlikely to end the uncertainty.

So, then the question moves to "Does repeated infection increase the chance of long COVID?". As in, to use gaming parlance, is it a new randomizer every chance you get it (possibly with an escalator), or has that number already been seeded into your biology? Basically, do people get long COVID on their first infection, is it something that just happens at random, or is it something that is made worse by repeated infections beyond the baseline chance?

Because at this point, it appears avoiding catching COVID without being a shut-in is almost an impossibility, and it just becomes a case of reducing how often you get it.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    This is just the worst news. For those of us who already live with chronic illness and disability, the idea of adding long covid on top feels unbearable. My partner and i have managed to avoid Covid to this point, but we have more or less been living as shut ins. This is just starting to feel more and more like we will never regain the ability to travel, or socialize, or eat at a restaraunt. Dang man.

burbo wrote: »
    This is just the worst news. For those of us who already live with chronic illness and disability, the idea of adding long covid on top feels unbearable. My partner and i have managed to avoid Covid to this point, but we have more or less been living as shut ins. This is just starting to feel more and more like we will never regain the ability to travel, or socialize, or eat at a restaraunt. Dang man.

Yeah as someone with severe asthma when I saw the positive COVID test I can tell you right now that I had a mild panic attack. Thankfully it was a minor case. But I did deal with shortness of breath for 2.5 months after I tested negative (which took me 10 days).

• asurasur Registered User regular
    Are there any studies or data that compares Long Covid to long term symptoms of other viruses? The definition of long covid is generally conservative, not recovering for longer than a month, and encompasses far more than what I'm concerned with which is specifically chronic issues. I'm curious how this compares to anything else because the one time I know I got the flu it took longer than a month to recover, but I did and it wasn't a chronic issue.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I don't know of any direct comparisons, but some recent findings indicate neurological Long COVID symptoms persist for a year or longer in most cases.
    The devastating neurological effects of long Covid can persist for more than a year, research published Tuesday finds — even as other symptoms abate.

The study, published in the journal Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology, is the longest follow-up study of the neurological symptoms among long Covid patients who were never hospitalized for Covid.

The neurological symptoms — which include brain fog, numbness, tingling, headache, dizziness, blurred vision, tinnitus and fatigue — are the most frequently reported for the illness.
    Most neurological symptoms persisted after an average of 15 months, the study found. While most patients did report improvements in their cognitive function and fatigue, the symptoms had not gone away completely and still affected their quality of life.

“A lot of those patients still have difficulties with their cognition that prevent them from working like they used to,” said a study co-leader, Dr. Igor Koralnik, the chief of neuro-infectious diseases and global neurology at Northwestern Medicine, who oversees the Neuro COVID-19 Clinic.

The study also found that some symptoms, including heart rate and blood pressure variation, as well as gastrointestinal problems, increased over time, while loss of taste and smell tended to improve. Covid vaccination did not alleviate symptoms, but it also did not make long Covid any worse.

Looks like some symptoms were reported to increase over time, as well.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • asurasur Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I believe the study referenced is this one: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/acn3.51570

It's interesting, but buries a selection bias issue at the end which shifted how I read the entire study. Can is doing very heavy lifting in the headline.
    Altogether, our study patients displayed a greater symptom burden at follow-up than other published reports. It is possible that patients who came to our clinic had more severe long-COVID syndrome at baseline relative to the average non-hospitalized “long hauler,” which influenced their decision to seek care. Nevertheless, this high symptom burden in “long haulers” suggests that research efforts need to shift from defining prevalence and mortality of COVID-19 to characterizing patient recovery and long-term symptom evolution.

asur on
  • VontreVontre Registered User regular
    Seems like I am always hearing new conflicting information about long covid. It's my primary health concern right now and trying to stay on top of the information - I even went and got a 4th shot for this reason. But without even a clear definition of what it is we should be worried about, seems really hard to pin down what the risks actually are. I don't care if I have a light cough for 3 months after symptoms, which theoretically meets the criteria for "long covid" according to the words of many of these definitions. There's also conflicting information on how much vaccination helps ward off more serious long term problems, as well as different levels of vax, different variants etc. I've been going off the theory that a lighter initial dose of virus means a more mild condition and less risks, and so focus on ventilation in my risk profile. Friends can come over but the window stays wide open with the fan blowing (living in LA helps). I also have somehow escaped covid even when my daughter brought it home to us a week ago and my wife got a faint positive reading on the test. We put her on paxlovid immediately because, again, risk of long covid. I feel like it's bad, but the lack of hard numbers on real problems that meaningfully impact quality of life is confounding.

Long term effects are probably one of the hardest things to nail down in a brand new disease

Steam profile
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    Especially when so many of the effects are of the "I just feel shitty" variety which are also very common symptoms in the downfall of civilization era we live in.

The difficulty in explaining said symptoms, and the subsequent monumentally difficult task of getting a physician to take them seriously, is part of the reason I don't want to even roll the dice.

Like, every story about Long COVID comes back with people saying "Are you sure you're not just tired?", "That happens with every virus!", "It's only anxiety", or "You're faking it".

Hearing those things from your doctor is just stone cold devastating. It makes you realize you'll never get help, and no one cares.

VuIBhrs.png
  • notyanotya Registered User regular
    I read these stats in this thread about long covid affecting this huge amount of people, but it's definitely something hard to see in our every day lives. I don't see people I know saying they have long covid, or staying home from work, or getting hospitalized. Seems very hard to get a gauge on how common it is.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    Especially when so many of the effects are of the "I just feel shitty" variety which are also very common symptoms in the downfall of civilization era we live in.

Also, it's potentially impacting at least 60% of the population. Which, at that point, becomes kind of like asking what the background radiation from nuclear testing is doing to people, or microplastics. Probably something, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

notya wrote: »
    I read these stats in this thread about long covid affecting this huge amount of people, but it's definitely something hard to see in our every day lives. I don't see people I know saying they have long covid, or staying home from work, or getting hospitalized. Seems very hard to get a gauge on how common it is.

I know 2 people with long covid, 1 who was perfectly healthy before. But these are "online people" rather than real world friends.

I think it isn't necessarily severely disabling, it could be just fatigue for months, which I had after the flu once.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    That study, if it is the same one referencing 15% difference, has some pretty significant age and gender bias in it yes.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    well, Dad in the US has had his 3rd booster. said this one actually took him out of action for about 24 hours with reaction stuff, but he's doing better now.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    The difficulty in explaining said symptoms, and the subsequent monumentally difficult task of getting a physician to take them seriously, is part of the reason I don't want to even roll the dice.

Like, every story about Long COVID comes back with people saying "Are you sure you're not just tired?", "That happens with every virus!", "It's only anxiety", or "You're faking it".

Hearing those things from your doctor is just stone cold devastating. It makes you realize you'll never get help, and no one cares.

That isn't a long covid thing. That is a fucking doctor thing. I am not trying to minimize the devastation of having to go through that to get long covid recognized. I do want to point out it is the exact system that damn near killed me because doctors are extremely dismissive assholes far too often.

Gnizmo wrote: »

That isn't a long covid thing. That is a fucking doctor thing. I am not trying to minimize the devastation of having to go through that to get long covid recognized. I do want to point out it is the exact system that damn near killed me because doctors are extremely dismissive assholes far too often.

I recognize and agree with that entirely.

What I'm saying is I don't need another excuse for doctors to be an asshole to me, so I'd rather not get COVID at all.

VuIBhrs.png
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular

Some doctors are definitely shitty and dismissive.

But for a lot of these symptoms, there's unfortunately very little they can do right now. There's no "test" for long COVID outside of some niche research scenarios, and there's no real treatment for "feeling shitty." Even if your PCP 100% believes you, there's often not much they can do with that information. There's a ton of research ongoing, but in the meantime we're going to have millions of people with chronic illness and very few medical options.