As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Bad Food] Thread is dead and gone forever

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    If you roasted them all up and ate them directly off, I believe botanically it would be a cob.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Sean Connery fears the sprout too.

shsh9kptrcl3.jpg

Edit: I see that Pinfeldorf has covered this with an excellent image already. Quality work!

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Y'all need to be making more bubble and squeak.

That's generally the day after eating any brassica variant

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Yes, and?

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    are all the varieties of brassica oleracea human-bred or are they wild variations

Most probably, all are from human cultivation.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One day I will seek out the ancestral Ur-Brassica, just for interest's sake

it's probably awful.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Make bubble and squeak from it.

Show it who's boss.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Man, I really hate that brussels sprouts grow like that. I don't know what I was picturing.

Therockr1critpic5.jpg

Glass or plastic, glass or plastic?!

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pretty much every edible plant that tastes good is descended from some plant that was non-lethal and edible enough that ancestral humans started going "okay, but what if we made a version of you that doesn't taste like my own ass."

Most of the exceptions I can think of are fruits like blueberries, raspberries, or coconuts (and even then the domesticated versions have been selectively bred to become better food for us compared to their wildtype counterparts).

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    terrible news
    some poor fool bagged a sweet baguette in a sourdough baguette bag and I am the butt of the joke

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Sweet... baguette?

the normal kind that's not sourdough
    I call them sweet since they're not sour

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I call those savory

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Umami baguette, hon hon hon.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I don't think I've ever had a baguette

I've had like. Breads from the bakery before but.

I dunno those just seem too crusty for me. Really inconvenient shape.

Tallahasseeriel on
    you definitely gotta enjoy the crust to like baguettes

BahamutZERO.gif
    Marie! The baguettes!

I need more crumb

I'm all about the boules

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I need more crumb

I'm all about the boules

Oh, how salacious

I love boules so much I would buy boule lingerie

I once knew a woman who spent a semester in France mostly subsisting on baguettes and brie. What you do is cut the baguette down the center line and then just sort of smush the brie in there and that's lunch. That's the way to enjoy a baguette.

Anyway, I bake loaves that are more or less the homemade version of Wonderbread twice a month, baguettes don't really have a big role in my cuisine, but that's what I've been told.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    That's what the b stood for in the star wars character's name

Salacious boule crumb

Also I really want some ciabatta actually so I think I'm going to go to a bakery this weekend and see if I can't get me some

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Marie! The baguettes!

Now it's now wonder that her name means Beauty--

why am I the only one singing?

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    One of my favourite meals is a beef kofta curry with "cav aloo", which is cavolo nero, a type of kale, and potatoes. So I refute the kale bashing, kale can be good.

Yeah kale is great cooked, but not raw, in a drink.

I feel like that applies to a lot of things

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    are all the varieties of brassica oleracea human-bred or are they wild variations

Most probably, all are from human cultivation.

I let our calabrese go to seed last year once we were done harvesting it, because the bees love the flowers, and this year I had loads of self-seeded brassica seedlings come up in that area. They all looked really different to the seedlings of the parent plant because I guess they reverted. I didn't have space to let them continue growing to see how they would turn out.

I also have a couple of self-seeded tomato plants and I'm letting one of those grow because I'm curious if it will fruit and if so how it will compare to the parent plant, because they're all hybrids too.

Mmm

Burgeritas

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I love boules so much I would buy boule lingerie

Je vois ce que tu as fait là.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I once knew a woman who spent a semester in France mostly subsisting on baguettes and brie. What you do is cut the baguette down the center line and then just sort of smush the brie in there and that's lunch. That's the way to enjoy a baguette.
    Myself and my partner made the fresh baguette with butter and brie from Twin Peaks several times now and I can attest it is absolutely delicious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWdjqdmFHxw

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Marie! The baguettes!

Now it's now wonder that her name means Beauty--

why am I the only one singing?

I promise you, you're not.

I got some Italian bread, not really a ciabatta but close enough for me

Dipping it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    This dude and his brother used to have a really good hoke cooking channel, here's a video about air fryer cooking https://youtu.be/5InEGJSONGk

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2022
    Round 14: The Patty Wagon

r7ff7m67d6iz.png

Price: $14.15 with corn nuggets. It's about two dollars cheaper if you want to get fries instead of corn nuggets, because I suppose there's no actual law against being a coward.
    Toppings and condiments: Lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, red onions, ketchup, mayo, cheddar cheese.
    Decent local beer on tap: None. Served at home with a Stonecloud Tortoise Head Imperial Coffee Stout

The Patty Wagon was one of the earlier entrants into the OKC food truck gold rush of 2011-14, alongside such icons as Big Truck Tacos and Waffle Champion. Like them, the Patty Wagon eventually purchased a brick-and-mortar location and parked the truck except for catering and special events, leaving behind a pun name that doesn't really work except to confuse out of towners. One of the Patty Wagon's major draws has always been a reputation for quality locally-sourced ingredients, particularly its Black Angus patties and its buns, which are made daily at a bakery right up the street.

The patty is fairly flat and wide without being an actual smashburger. It's got a nice brown crust on the outside at the expense of a well-done middle which is drier than I prefer. The veggies are all good quality, although the pickles are pretty understated. The onions, while cut into rings, are sliced very thin and applied evenly enough that they're not the grave error they would be in a thicker cut. The cheese rules, probably the sharpest cheddar I've encountered on my Burger Quest.

The real make-or-break for whether you love this burger or hate it is the bun. Instead of the usual white bread or brioche buns, these are dense and slightly sweet, like a giant Hawaiian roll. They provide enough structural integrity to allow for some pretty ambitious specialty burgers, including the only Frito pie burger I've ever had that can comfortably be eaten by hand without causing a huge mess. They work well paired with salty ingredients like Fritos or bacon or blue cheese crumbles, but the house pickles on the regular cheeseburger are not up to the task of cutting the sweetness. If it wasn't for the bun's pronounced flavor profile, their stupid burger with bean dip, Fritos, chili, cheddar and roasted jalapenos would be one of my favorite burgers in town. As it is, it's more of a mood food than a consistent craving.

The corn nuggets are battered and deep-fried little wads of roasted corn and cayenne pepper, and we're in love and we're running away together.

Overall, I'd say the Patty Wagon is about neck-and-neck with Tucker's. Both high-quality choices that are nice to have if I happen to be driving by, but not a destination in themselves. I'll give Tucker's the nod based on the buns and the fact that Tucker's mascot is a good dog and the Patty Wagon has this asshole:
    f9loe9sc2wjv.png

All burger cops are bastards, robble motherfuckin' robble.

Current rankings:
    1. Bar Arbolada Single Cheeseburger
    2. Ludivine Wagyu Burger
    3. New State Cheeseburger
    4. Nic's Place Diner and Lounge Signature Original Burger
    5. Burger Punk OG Punk Burger
    6. The Garage Cheeseburger
    7. Tucker's Single Onion Burger with Cheese
    8. The Patty Wagon Single With Cheese
    9. Ned's Starlite Lounge Classic Cheeseburger
    10. Packard's Burger
    11. Whataburger Double Meat Whataburger
    12. Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler Theta Burger*
    13. McDonald's Big Mac
    14. Braum's Double Quarter-Pound Cheeseburger

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    OK now review the corn nuggets.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Dang, you got in before the edit.
    The corn nuggets are battered and deep-fried little wads of roasted corn and cayenne pepper, and we're in love and we're running away together.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Sold

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    They're pretty great, they're like if elotes went to the state fair.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    They're pretty great, they're like if elotes went to the state fair.

Is there a bunch of mayo in there? Because, to me, elotes have too much goddamn mayo, so when I get them I have to scrape half of it off.

Pinfeldorf on
This discussion has been closed.