As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gasoline prices in the USA

123457»

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Can we discuss natural gas in this thread?

I really hope we can move towards greater adoption of electric alternatives for heating, especially heat pumps, which serve a dual role of offering air conditioning in areas like Seattle that previously didn't need it.

The actual technology of heat pumps is already pretty optimized, and unlike electric cars, you don't need a battery because whatever you're trying to heat already acts as one, where you can use smart devices that draw more or less power based on availability.

Apparently the major limitation right now are the refrigerants. The only eco friendly refrigerant we have is super expensive due to patents. But hopefully the war with Ukraine can pressure those companies to come down in price.

It'll also be interesting if we start seeing increased demand for gasification plants for converting waste into power.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of Biden, but the amount of people blaming him for the high gas prices is irksome

There are several people running for Pennsylvania governor who are blaming Biden for high gas prices

Sure, there is a federal tax on gas, but it's like 15 cents or something

The state tax is much higher, and the feds had nothing to do with that

And you should be mad at the petroleum industry

If it wasn't gas prices it would be something else but I feel your frustration. I have been on the road most of this month and the Spectrum News channel that is the default on the hotel TVs is almost wall-to-wall gas price coverage.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Biden, but the amount of people blaming him for the high gas prices is irksome

There are several people running for Pennsylvania governor who are blaming Biden for high gas prices

If it wasn't gas prices it would be something else but I feel your frustration. I have been on the road most of this month and the Spectrum News channel that is the default on the hotel TVs is almost wall-to-wall gas price coverage.

That something else might actually be something Biden is responsible for, though.

I'd also be less annoyed by all the gas and inflation news if they included the global context of how it's happening everywhere instead of acting like we are uniquely suffering rather than being a part of the world that is still struggling to get back to some semblance of normal

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Heffling wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Companies aren't going to pay dividends if they can help it. They'd rather hoard cash like Smaug, then buy everything after the next inevitable crash.

They are though: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/20/us-breaks-all-time-record-for-dividends-as-investor-payouts-surge.html
    Global dividends reached a first-quarter record of $263.3 billion, rising 7.8% despite concerns about the world economy, according to new research Monday.

Inflation was 7.9% in Feb. So, they're not growing at all?

Breaking the record for largest money anything doesn't really mean anything, because inflation just creates new larger numbers.

Inflation a year ago was 1% and they paid out about the same. Dividends typically don't go up and down wildly. It will take a while to adjust to higher inflation

Phyphor on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Inflation and Gas prices are like two of the things a president has the least power over. And people act like he decides both by fiat

It really annoys the fuck out of me.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2022

This is the way it always goes. It's why high gas prices scare the fuck out of politicians. Voters just associate things that go wrong in their lives with whomever they think is "in charge". Democracy: dysfunctional even when in it's ideal form.

shryke on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

This is the way it always goes. It's why high gas prices scare the fuck out of politicians. Voters just associate things that go wrong in their lives with whomever they think is "in charge". Democracy: dysfunctional even when in it's ideal form.

The greatest argument against Democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter. The greatest argument in it's favour is the history of all the other types of government.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    People need to learn how the government is supposed to work in school and stay up to date on current events with unbiased reporting. The ideal form of democracy is an informed educated public making choices for the common good. We don't have civics and critical thinking being large enough parts of education and the media has a strong bias.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Youre never going to get unbiased reporting, but being able to understand a persons or groups biases is very important as a skill.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    People need to learn how the government is supposed to work in school and stay up to date on current events with unbiased reporting. The ideal form of democracy is an informed educated public making choices for the common good. We don't have civics and critical thinking being large enough parts of education and the media has a strong bias.

Yeah but that's work

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular

Yeah, I know this thread is about the US but we have exactly the same dynamic playing out in NZ. Government opposition and media commentators are calling on for fuel taxes to be slashed in order to address the cost of living crisis, of which fuel price is the most visible and recent component. It's a mix of people who refuse to understand that this is a global issue that cannot (responsibly) be solved by a single government, and people who understand fully well but don't care because it's a convenient angle to score political points on.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »

Yeah but that's work

And also, makes it harder for people who appeal purely to emotion and preexisting biases to convince people to vote for them, so one of our two major parties is against critical thinking as a matter of principle and political survival.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    It's honestly more that it's work people don't want to do in the first place. Most people don't want to be that engaged.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »

Yeah, I know this thread is about the US but we have exactly the same dynamic playing out in NZ. Government opposition and media commentators are calling on for fuel taxes to be slashed in order to address the cost of living crisis, of which fuel price is the most visible and recent component. It's a mix of people who refuse to understand that this is a global issue that cannot (responsibly) be solved by a single government, and people who understand fully well but don't care because it's a convenient angle to score political points on.

Same here in Germany. Gas prices at the station went up about 30 cents last week and there is talk of capping those prices, with the government picking up the rest. Which is bonkers, as it would be a subsidy for petrol companies.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Biden overtly calling out the timing disparity in Gas price increases vs decreases

i think this is the right thing to do, and to keep doing. it probably won't sway many minds, but this is exactly the type of scenario the bully pulpit is valuable in

• Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    Biden overtly calling out the timing disparity in Gas price increases vs decreases

i think this is the right thing to do, and to keep doing. it probably won't sway many minds, but this is exactly the type of scenario the bully pulpit is valuable in

When in doubt, blame large corporations. You can't really go wrong in terms of the politics with that.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    jmcdonald wrote: »

This is the part that gets me:
    But it may be unreasonable to say pump prices should change instantly just because oil prices do. It takes time for price swings to filter through the supply chain.

A gas station owner may be selling fuel today that was purchased days earlier when oil prices were much higher. (That's especially true in today's extremely volatile market.)

Okay, so I get it, the gasoline you're selling today is what you bought yesterday, when it cost you $5 a gallon, or whatever. So you're trying to recoup expenses, sell for what you paid.

But these motherless fucks were quick to smack the "price increase" button on the way up and sell yesterday's cheap gasoline for $5 a gallon when they bought it for $4...the whole "but we bought this gas yesterday" thing didn't apply then, right? Rockets and feathers indeed. It's pure profiteering, ain't a gasoline chain around that's losing money. They were increasing prices multiple times per day in response to oil prices on the market, not actual arriving supply trucks.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the stations around me get a delivery once a week; their prices have jumped way more often than that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Not the US but same situation here and our minister for economical affairs has basically said out loud that it's war profiteering and is reviewing possibilities to get some of that money back. Might just be posturing but going on the offensive about it is probably the right thing to do