As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Totes!

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    You have to wonder if this wasn't part of Brady's un-retirement. Sounded like him and Arians were on rough terms at the end.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    You have to wonder if this wasn't part of Brady's un-retirement. Sounded like him and Arians were on rough terms at the end.

Wasn’t Arians kind of a joke there though? It seemed like every time he said something trying to assert himself, he had to walk it back shortly thereafter.

Like he was the head coach, as long as he did what Brady wanted. And ownership and the GM always overrode him.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Wasn’t Arians kind of a joke there though? It seemed like every time he said something trying to assert himself, he had to walk it back shortly thereafter.

Like he was the head coach, as long as he did what Brady wanted. And ownership and the GM always overrode him.

They gave Bowles a five year contract and tore up his DC contract so this is unlikely.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Arians was definitely not a joke, he shit talked Brady a lot that first season when the Defector “was Tom Brady crud today” meter was still relevant

Arians was definitely not a joke, he shit talked Brady a lot that first season when the Defector “was Tom Brady crud today” meter was still relevant
    Note: that was before they installed Brady’s offense.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Arian's career record as a head coach is 89-51 which is a win percentage on the level of Belichick, Reid, Tomlin, and other active great coaches. Maybe you think he's a bit overrated (I disagree) but calling him a joke is just plain wrong. There are probably 20 teams that would be happy to have him in charge.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited March 2022
    Butters wrote: »
    Arian's career record as a head coach is 89-51 which is a win percentage on the level of Belichick, Reid, Tomlin, and other active great coaches. Maybe you think he's a bit overrated (I disagree) but calling him a joke is just plain wrong. There are probably 20 teams that would be happy to have him in charge.

I think I wasn’t clear- I don’t think he’s a joke, I think he was treated like a joke in Tampa Bay after the first 8 or so games of Brady at QB, and so I can understand his departure.

maraji on
    He's also going to be 70 this year and Tampa Bay has a lot of highly respected assistants. I don't doubt he butted heads a bit with Brady, but this move makes sense for a lot of reasons.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    He's also going to be 70 this year and Tampa Bay has a lot of highly respected assistants. I don't doubt he butted heads a bit with Brady, but this move makes sense for a lot of reasons.

I think the key question is, why now?

Did he not want to leave Bowles with a shell of a team, if Brady didn't come back?

Because if there wasn't a plan in place, leaving the resignation until now would have proper screwed the Bucs.

Just trying to look at the resignation as an independent decision at this time, and it doesn't make a lot of sense without some other context.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    He might not be a joke but Brady was right. You play the offense that fits the strengths of your QB and not the strengths of your coach. Especially if that QB is Tom Brady who has 20 years of experience in offensive coordination of an offense fit to his strengths

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I think the key question is, why now?

Did he not want to leave Bowles with a shell of a team, if Brady didn't come back?

Because if there wasn't a plan in place, leaving the resignation until now would have proper screwed the Bucs.

Just trying to look at the resignation as an independent decision at this time, and it doesn't make a lot of sense without some other context.

He lays it out pretty clearly.

He's gone this time next year anyway and he believes in actually handing it off to who he thinks deserves a shot. And he wants Bowles to have something besides a hollow shell

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Occam's Razor says decisions like this take time and they've likely all been discussing it behind closed doors since the offseason started.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Bowles is probably more Brady's speed. He wants a hardass that will make everybody work as hard as he does, which is much more what Todd offers than Bruce. I wouldn't put it past Brady to have pushed for this or Bruce to go along with it, because it's important to him to promote his assistants.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Remember Dan Snyder? Remember how he was so shitty that the League 'investigated' the team for all the really shitty shit that happened. (Resulting in the head coach for a different team being fired.) Remember how the US Congress decided to step in and investigate how shitty Dan Snyder is?

Pepperidge Farm doesn't remember, either!

But, now, the Congressional investigation is focusing on 'financial improprieties'.
    Even more trouble could be on the way for the Washington Commanders.

The House Committee on Oversight and Reform, which has been investigating the allegedly widespread sexual harassment that pervaded Washington under team owner Dan Snyder, is now looking into alleged financial impropriety by the team, according to The Washington Post.

The allegations reportedly came to light in recent weeks while the House Oversight Committee reviewed more than 80,000 pages of documents and interviewed witnesses.

In a subsequent story, Front Office Sports reported committee investigators were exploring whether Snyder's Commanders had been using "two books" of financial information to create a different picture of the team's finances. Specifically, the investigators are reportedly looking into the debt load Snyder undertook when he bought out the rest of the Commanders, deceptive accounting practices and allegations of a gender pay disparity.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    hard to believe the wealthy sex pest slimeball would also be a financial slimeball

sorry I meant "very easy to believe"

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I hope this is the thing that finally forces him out

The owners will look past a lot of malfeasance but you do not under any circumstances mess with the finances.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »

The owners will look past a lot of malfeasance but you do not under any circumstances mess with the finances.

I wouldn't bet on it at least not until charges get filed. Jimmy Haslam was under federal investigation almost immediately after closing on the Browns and none of the other owners cared.

I wouldn't bet on it at least not until charges get filed. Jimmy Haslam was under federal investigation almost immediately after closing on the Browns and none of the other owners cared.

But wasn’t Haslam’s criming done before buying the team and targeted common people? If Snyder has been scamming the league or owners I’d imagine they react differently. Or if his incompetence risks exposing similar scams for other teams.

edited April 2022

But wasn’t Haslam’s criming done before buying the team and targeted common people? If Snyder has been scamming the league or owners I’d imagine they react differently. Or if his incompetence risks exposing similar scams for other teams.

Perhaps, but remember there is no group solidarity like the wealthy. Jags owner Shahid Khan is a Muslim immigrant that both donated and voted for Trump because billions are thicker than blood. Even the NBA had a small group of owners (including Mark Cuban) that voiced their concerns on property rights when Donald Sterling was forced out of the Clippers.

I'd love to see Snyder get the boot but if I suspect the owners will circle the wagons.

Butters on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Draw Play Dave whiffs a bit on the NFL OT rule change. He takes the argument about 'what if other sports used the NFL OT rules' by showing it for basketball. The problem is that of the four major US team sports, only football and baseball have rigidly defined possession-cum-offensive/defensive roles. And baseball has a standing rule that the home team always gets an offensive chance if they are not leading in the potentially final inning. Other sports are basically the 'ball' is always live within the area of play.

And with the NHL, a team can win the faceoff and immediately score and it ends the game and nobody gives a damn about it. Even before the Overtime Loss was introduced.

The next rule change should be that both teams get the ball, both series are untimed, and if no resolution happens then play ten minutes to a result (or in the post-season, 10 minutes to the end of the new quarter and the game continues 'normally' until sudden death}.

Followed by the next rule change is that a random person on the planet is chosen as 'Emperor of the Game' and they give a thumbs up/down to decide the outcome. Losers to be traded to Detroit.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The next rule change should be that both teams get the ball, both series are untimed, and if no resolution happens then play ten minutes to a result (or in the post-season, 10 minutes to the end of the new quarter and the game continues 'normally' until sudden death}.

I legit would be down for this, with one caveat - no kickers. You start on your own 20, you must go for it on 4th down, cannot kick a field goal, and must go for two if you score a TD.
    Think of it like Hardcore mode. You get one life.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

Perhaps, but remember there is no group solidarity like the wealthy. Jags owner Shahid Khan is a Muslim immigrant that both donated and voted for Trump because billions are thicker than blood. Even the NBA had a small group of owners (including Mark Cuban) that voiced their concerns on property rights when Donald Sterling was forced out of the Clippers.

I'd love to see Snyder get the boot but if I suspect the owners will circle the wagons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/02/report-commanders-allegedly-withheld-visiting-teams-ticket-revenue/amp/

A.J. Perez of FrontOfficeSports.come reports that the House Committee on Oversight and Reform has received information alleging that the Commanders kept ticket revenue that should have been shared with other teams.

By rule, 40 percent of all ticket income goes into a league-wide visiting-team fund. That money gets divided among all teams.

According to Perez, at least one person has informed Congressional investigators that the Commanders did not pass along the full 40-percent share, as required by the NFL.

Abuse, rape, murder, there are probably a billion heinous acts that the other owners would let slide, I don't see this being one of them.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Always pay your taxes! Or in this case I suppose "dues"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    yesss its always fun when billionaires get a reason to eat each other

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Followed by the next rule change is that a random person on the planet is chosen as 'Emperor of the Game' and they give a thumbs up/down to decide the outcome. Losers to be traded to Detroit.

I propose that the Emperor of the Game instead be allowed to set the overtimes rules according to their whim.

“The first team to solve today’s Wordle shall be the victor! I have spoken.”

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Tox wrote: »
    Always pay your taxes! Or in this case I suppose "dues"

Also maybe don't get caught running two sets of books! At this point the NFL should just nuke the entire team and come back in 5 years with all new people.

Dark_Side on
    Save the date! Saturday, April 16, 7.30p EDT is the return of the USFL! The New Jersey Generals and Birmingham Stallions. To be played in Birmingham. In fact, all games to be played in Birmingham because everybody knows Alabama is where footbaw lives!

Ten whole weeks of footbaw to be played through June in Alabama. Make sure there are plenty of orange slices, mom!

edited April 2022
    Save the date! Saturday, April 16, 7.30p EDT is the return of the USFL! The New Jersey Generals and Birmingham Stallions. To be played in Birmingham. In fact, all games to be played in Birmingham because everybody knows Alabama is where footbaw lives!

Ten whole weeks of footbaw to be played through June in Alabama. Make sure there are plenty of orange slices, mom!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Football_League_(2022)
    Just checked the Wiki, and there's some weird shit.

The pay scale is garbage for a "pro sport" ($45K for active, $15K for practice squad), but given there's a partnership with two universities, is clearly better conceptually than college sports. Though, I think anyone who thinks that you'll be able to get a free degree under those conditions probably doesn't need another hit to the head.

The teams are 38 strong, plus 7 practice. Given the wear and injuries that a 53+16 NFL roster suffers, and the likely disparity in sports medicine between the two leagues, I can see there being a massive turnover of wounded, or a team having to play "iron man" at some point.

Some weird rules, like a third option after a TD (go for it from the 10, 3pts). Overtime is three 2pt Conversions each, then sudden death. Two forward passes (both required from behind LOS). No ineligible downfield if the pass doesn't cross LOS. Onside kick may instead be a 12yd-to-go from the 33 (apparently allowed in the AAF).

I still can't see it working. There's going to be a clear talent disparity, and it's gonna suffer the same kind of brawn-drain that other leagues have (anyone talented enough to be a standout in this league, is gonna jump ship if they've got the chance, especially with the 15 times minimum increase in salary). Similar with coaching staff, and other participants.

Normally, I'd think the lack of enthusiasm from the crowds would be an issue (you've got four games over 2-3 days at the same stadium so a limited audience, ticket prices are $10 and apparently an all day event, so $10 can get you up to three games) is gonna make for a less sports focused raucus, and a more drunken idiots raucus. But after the Covid season, I'm not sure that's a sticking factor.

There's also the issue with the broadcasts. It's hard enough to find 16 above mediocre commentary teams for the NFL. So I'm not expecting anything out of this, and I can see that it's more likely we see someone going over the top "Morning Crew" to make a name, than doing a professional job. The sport doesn't move fast enough on it's own, that you don't need a journeyman crew in the booth.

FOX apparently signed up for three years. I'll be shocked if they make it through two, surprised if they don't fold up after the first.

EDIT- Should be noted, that despite it being a 10 week season, only the first three weeks are scheduled. I'm assuming they're doing that to prioritize better airing spots for teams that prove to be popular/successful.

ADDIT - I didn't know Jeff Fisher was back in the coaching chair. Hope the Michigan Panthers* go 5-5 and are the most successful professional football team in the state, while still being mediocre.
    * Still hate that with all the options available, they duplicated one from the NFL. Normally, I'd be concerned with how that'd look in comparison, but it'll take effort to make the team much worse than their NFL namesake this season.

MorganV on
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular

I, personally, can't wait till this Leauge blows up in Rupert's dumb face.

Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Only Trump can save it!

Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Only Trump can save it!

Too soon

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/02/report-commanders-allegedly-withheld-visiting-teams-ticket-revenue/amp/

A.J. Perez of FrontOfficeSports.come reports that the House Committee on Oversight and Reform has received information alleging that the Commanders kept ticket revenue that should have been shared with other teams.

By rule, 40 percent of all ticket income goes into a league-wide visiting-team fund. That money gets divided among all teams.

According to Perez, at least one person has informed Congressional investigators that the Commanders did not pass along the full 40-percent share, as required by the NFL.

Abuse, rape, murder, there are probably a billion heinous acts that the other owners would let slide, I don't see this being one of them.

What I don't understand is how the hell the rest of the league didn't notice.

What I don't understand is how the hell the rest of the league didn't notice.

Woody Johnson, Steven Ross, Shad Khan, Stan Kroenke, and let’s say Jimmy Haslem are some obvious shitbags to consider as doing this too

Burt Favor may have fractured a law or two when he got a former Mississippi governor to set up a medical company that apparently treated concussions. The governor sped up tax breaks or something. Meaning state taxpayers were on the hook for the costs.

But that's the known part of the story. It is now known that they gave the former governor a chunk of company stock as a thank you. The governor says he didn't do whatever sketchy thing he did with the intention of personally profiting, but he also didn't reject the 'gift'. (He was not in office when he accepted it.)

It's not yet clear if anybody broke any laws (except for the tax funds which Favor is slowly paying back interest free).

Burt Favor may have fractured a law or two when he got a former Mississippi governor to set up a medical company that apparently treated concussions. The governor sped up tax breaks or something. Meaning state taxpayers were on the hook for the costs.

But that's the known part of the story. It is now known that they gave the former governor a chunk of company stock as a thank you. The governor says he didn't do whatever sketchy thing he did with the intention of personally profiting, but he also didn't reject the 'gift'. (He was not in office when he accepted it.)

It's not yet clear if anybody broke any laws (except for the tax funds which Favor is slowly paying back interest free).

If that's the case, and the previous facts are true, then it just means that the laws themselves are broken.

It's fucking ridiculous how immune rich/powerful people are to circumstances that'd land anyone else in jail. But there's no easy way to fix a broken system, and as we're seeing with Trump, prosecution for cause is being successfully portrayed as a partisan attack.

Mississippi is either #1 or #2 (…Louisiana) on rich white dudes very flagrantly and racistly expressing Wilhoit’s description of conservatism

Man I read Roth’s article on this and Farve’s part is small time

Federal tax dollars (over $100 million) sent to Mississippi were just outright denied to the intended recipients (poor kids, black folks) while a connected group of assholes secured money from this fund for fake initiatives like “supporting family values” and then bought themselves houses or cars or what have you

You know, actual fucking welfare kings and queens

Two more coaches join Flores' suit and intrepid reporters 'discover' a 2020 interview where Mike Mularkey declares that he felt a job he was hired for in 2016 was a result of Rooney Rule abuse.

Meanwhile, The Beav is right there.

edited April 2022
    Two more coaches join Flores' suit and intrepid reporters 'discover' a 2020 interview where Mike Mularkey declares that he felt a job he was hired for in 2016 was a result of Rooney Rule abuse.

Meanwhile, The Beav is right there.

To add, Mularkey has names, specific statements, and a timeline that show it’s not just his opinion that the Titans abused the Rooney Rule, he’s got fucking receipts that they knew it and thought it would be ok to give him all the deets on how they were doing it. He brings it up as being a great shame that he didn’t speak up then.

This was all on a podcast or something from 2020 but until now, nobody had any reason to give a shit what Mike Mularkey might say on a podcast so it went largely unnoticed. When reached for comment yesterday, Mularkey said “yep, what I said then is all accurate, that’s all I have to say.”

Edit: Mularkey’s interview with the GM consisted of the statement “I don’t know why they want me to talk to you, you already have the job”

For Mike Mularkey

Because the only attribute NFL owners and execs possess in equivalent abundance to their racism is incompetence

Captain Inertia on
    Kind of wild that Mike Malarky is relevant enough to make the thread title