As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Totes!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Watson’s lawyer was suspiciously chummy with the Houston DA

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Dolphins forfeit next year's first round pick, a third round pick in 2024, and Stephen Ross is suspended until October 17 for tampering with Brady.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Can’t even cheat properly

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    How is an owner suspended

Lol

From like owner committees?

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Lol

Same way Snyder is? Hand the reins over to someone you have complete authority over, and pretend they're in charge for a while.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Lol

Same way Snyder is? Hand the reins over to someone you have complete authority over, and pretend they're in charge for a while.

See Medvedev, Dmitry

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Apparently he is not allowed to be in his own stadium or team facilities during his suspension and their VP of operations was also banned for a whole year.

The details on their tampering were revealed by the NFL's investigation into the Flores allegations. The league is dismissing text exchanges about Miami tanking in 2019 as "jokes" and claims there is no evidence they weren't trying to win every game.

Sure, guys.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Lets see, October 17 is Week 6
    Thus,
    1 Tampering with Brady = 1 DeShaun Watson = 3 Ray Rices
    good to know

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    The strongest evidence for Miami intentionally tanking is their roster that season

The strongest evidence for Flores’s suit is him not getting another job after posting the record he did with the Dolphins roster, which was still shit from an ass last year despite Flores’s efforts making people think it actually contained NFL players

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Thus,
    good to know

Tampering by Brady = 2/3 Tampering with Brady.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Just don't smoke pot or take a knee and you'll be playing shortly.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Broncos had two receivers go down in practice today, one of them with a season ending injury.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Welp that's both of them. Good thing Bronco fans had not expectations.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What the Broncos didn't know is that the reason Russell Wilson stays so healthy is by siphoning potential injuries into the players around him.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    What the Broncos didn't know is that the reason Russell Wilson stays so healthy is by siphoning potential injuries into the players around him.

The O-Line of Dorian Gray

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

I heard reports he kept giving them water and crying telling them they'll be a real chicken one day.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Thus,
    good to know

Tampering by Brady = 2/3 Tampering with Brady.

oh man I also forgot
    1 Tampering with Brady is also at least 0.5 Calvin Ridleys
    RogMath is fun and exciting

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    The NFL has taken a 1st round pick from a team 3 times

Spygate
    Deflategate
    Uh, Michigan Ross gate?

Anyway, thanks Brady

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    I thought Ross owning Gambling Ventures was the real reason.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Man the stuff I was hearing about Brady/Ross earlier today was wild

Like "offered partial ownership in the team while playing" wild

But he's the golden boy so nothing will come of it

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Did Brady do anything work being punished for? I guess responding to the texts?

NFL discipline is a joke anyway and I haven’t followed this closely beyond reading the Reddit headlines, so I may be missing something important.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Brady wasn’t disciplined, the team and owner were

• Options
    I really want to make Michigan Ross Gate a thing, but only because it would annoy ebum

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I really want to make Michigan Ross Gate a thing, but only because it would annoy ebum

He's like fourth on the list of worst Michigan alums, but unlike Ted Kaczynski or HH Holmes, his name is fucking everywhere on campus.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Looks like the NFL is officially appealing the suspension:

No huge surprise with the fairly massive public/media outcry as people started to read through the details of the report.

They're soulless but fan/public opinion hits their bottom line; safe to say that factored into their suspension requests fairly heavily if you've read the media reports and the judge's report.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My guess is Goodell wants to appear more strict than the "judge" in this case.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

Agreed! They're getting a lot of shit for this, and the league cracking down on him is pretty much the only way to rectify that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Or they are appealing so it'll get reduced even lower and they go "welp we tried."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Or they are appealing so it'll get reduced even lower and they go "welp we tried."

The appeal is straight to Roger Goodell and his ruling is final and binding, so that almost certainly won't happen.

He may assign it to someone else; I think we all know that someone else is going to be on the same page.

If they manage to fuck it up that badly I will be impressed. It's the NFL, so it's possible! But nah he's getting more out of this almost certainly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rog is still busy trying to figure out what 1 Calvin Ridley actually is though

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »

Agreed! They're getting a lot of shit for this, and the league cracking down on him is pretty much the only way to rectify that.

Again, I hate how conspiratorial this sounds, but I assume this was all expected or at least it was a considered option from the beginning. The salary that Watson would forfeit even with a full season suspension is 0.3% of the total value of his $230M contract which he's already received around $45M in a signing bonus. It could not be more clear that the Browns expected a year-long suspension when they pursued Watson and offered him the biggest contract in league history.

This is all so nakedly corrupt I think even David Stern would feel dirty.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    I'll admit I'm not totally buying the "NFL is playing 4D chess and expected this all along" thing (you're not the only one that thinks that -- it's floating around a lot). They...never seem to be that smart, and I do think they just legit want the suspension because they know how bad it looks to have this guy playing. I don't mean that to say they have "good hearts" and are doing it for the "right reasons" -- nah, it's a business decision because it affects their bottom line and viewership numbers.

I do think the contract the Browns gave him is insane and should have been voided immediately with that provision in there though.

I don't think the Browns owners were "in the loop" to the extent they knew the NFL was doing this 4D chess move. Like, did you see the completely fucking ridiculous statement they put out when Deshuan got 6 games?

They literally used triggered in their hand crafted PR statement. They were ready to run a victory lap. I think they're just dumb and evil, and not apart of a vast conspiracy.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited August 2022

He's like fourth on the list of worst Michigan alums, but unlike Ted Kaczynski or HH Holmes, his name is fucking everywhere on campus.

Idk the murdering is ya know not a great look, but the anti tech manifesto is more prescient by the day.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    As much as "triggered" has become a shithead dogwhistle, I think it's actually a correct use in this case. As in the original, pre-edgelord meaning.

The case and the coverage around it was likely triggering for survivors.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    There's no weird collusion or 4d chess here. This is the first test of the neutral arbitration they negotiated with the PA after everyone got mad at the commissioner over his swingy style of discipling players for conduct violations. They specifically didn't want to appeal any of this because it's best for them if their new system runs smoothly and works "good enough". They were looking for a year and I bet they would have accepted 8 or 9 games since it would have kind of followed the old system of generally cutting a suspension in half on appeal.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    i think they were looking for the calvin ridley deal, he can apply for reinstatement in a year, that way if more accusations came forward, they could reassess and not be totally embarrassed again
    of course the kicker now is that, on appeal, if Rog doesn't make his decision in the next few weeks, that means he can theoretically show up at practices and preseason games etc. in the mean time
    also the NFLPA says that they'll sue in federal court if this gets appealed which is interesting considering, they were the ones who negotiated and approved this set up so not really sure if they even have the grounds to do so

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah they should sue in federal court so that when this is all settled, he can serve his punishment some time... later in the season when they still have dreams of playoffs? Or maybe even next year when his contract'll actually pay him money. Yes... yes...

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    The Browns were NOT going to void a contract after giving up half a decade of picks for him. You've got to be joking, man.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    The Browns were NOT going to void a contract after giving up half a decade of picks for him. You've got to be joking, man.

Yeah so my fervent hope is Watson gets paid but just never plays due some combo of suspensions/injury/prison or forgetting how to play because of proximity to Lake Erie….

….and then his dick falls off and he goes broke trying to fix it

Captain Inertia on