As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Totes!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Hasn’t Andy Dalton been a pro bowler multiple times

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Favre wasn't content with just stealing from the poor for a volleyball facility:
    After Mississippi spent millions of dollars in welfare money on Brett Favre’s pet project, a university volleyball arena, the retired NFL quarterback tried two years later to get additional cash from the state’s welfare agency for another sports facility, new court documents show.

The governor at the time, Republican Phil Bryant, texted in 2019 with Favre, who wanted to build an indoor practice facility for the University of Southern Mississippi’s football team. Bryant told him federal money for children and low-income adults is “tightly controlled” and “improper use could result in violation of Federal Law.”

Text messages between Bryant and Favre are in court documents filed Friday by Bryant’s lawyers, which seek to show the governor was willing to help Favre raise private money for the volleyball facility starting in 2017 and was unaware for more than two years that welfare money was going to the project.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Mississippi has by far the lowest rate of eligible residents actually receiving TANF too

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mississippi has by far the lowest rate of eligible residents actually receiving TANF too

Not enough bootstraps.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    For me the biggest argument for getting rid of the Pro Bowl was always that due to being at the end of the season it often had the first few choices decline because they'd just got done with a physically demanding playoff and/or were injured.

So you ended up with guys like Jeff Garcia being named a Pro Bowler despite never once being the best at their position

Yeah, when it's like the fourth alternate starting, because the starting three, then the first three alternates decline, what's the point. Especially given while some good players are on bad teams, most players that get a lot of pop are on good teams, and those are the ones that if not in the Superbowl, have only recently been defeated, and are just spent. 3-4 game preseason, 16-17 game regular season, 0-3 playoff appearances, ending in a defeat. Yeah, I'mma want to get on a plane for an inconsequential fuckaround game.

Add in that taking it away from Hawaii meant one of the few incentives for something different was gone, as is the cash incentive. $40K for participating, another $40K for a win? Sure, otherwise talented or breakout stars on rookie/prove-it deals, that's money. For a QB earning $2M+ per game, or most top name talent being well over $1M per game? Fuck outta here, especially when there's a risk that an injury sidelines their actual career.

But a properly managed "skills" event? That I could see being awesome. Though I'd want to see both elite players doing elite stuff, AND elite players going out of their comfort zones.

Show me nose tackles trying to throw a spiral. Show me a centre having to run a route. Show me a QB having to make a PAT. Show me wideouts having to tackle the sled. Heck, show me punters making FG's and placekickers making punts.

There's no way I can do what an NFL player does, at their job. But maybe, just maybe, I can be better at any one position than an NFL player is at one he isn't paid to do.

I have never ever watched the Pro Bowl, but I guarantee you I would watch the Pro Bowl if it was nothing but fat guy touchdowns.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Someone on twitter suggested some sort of OL / DL hotdog eating contest. Id watch.

Also lean into the Nickelodeon stuff and have them play Legend Of the Hidden Temple or Double Dare or such.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Someone on twitter suggested some sort of OL / DL hotdog eating contest. Id watch.

Also lean into the Nickelodeon stuff and have them play Legend Of the Hidden Temple or Double Dare or such.

I would pay cash money to watch NFL players try to figure out the Shrine of the Silver Monkey.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

I would pay cash money to watch NFL players try to figure out the Shrine of the Silver Monkey.

But the point of changing the Pro Bowl is to reduce injuries...

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

I would absolutely subscribe to streaming service that included a modern celebrity Double Dare.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Burt Favor also used his own charity's money to build a volleyball facility for his daughter's high school.

Is this that moment in a high stakes game where he just chucks it deep into triple coverage?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Burt Favor also used his own charity's money to build a volleyball facility for his daughter's high school.

Is this that moment in a high stakes game where he just chucks it deep into triple coverage?

If he sits down for a one on one interview with Michael Strahan you'll know it is

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Man, I love volleyball. I play and watch as much as I can, but I don't love volleyball as much as Brett Favre does apparently.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Man, I love volleyball. I play and watch as much as I can, but I don't love volleyball as much as Brett Favre does apparently.

It seems like it was more likely a donations for diplomas type thing. Like Kushner's dad donating a building to get his son into a school. Just on a lower scale.

I mean, what are they going to do? NOT let his daughter play on the team? In a building that has her name on it?

• Options
    Week 4 Maps

Internationalpalooza starts this week. Minnesota/New Orleans 9.30a NFLN

I'm disappointed I won't get to watch the potential shitshow that could be Las Vegas/Denver.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Week 4 Maps

Internationalpalooza starts this week. Minnesota/New Orleans 9.30a NFLN

I'm disappointed I won't get to watch the potential shitshow that could be Las Vegas/Denver.

Dammit the country wants to see the Josh McDaniels bowl.

Also, Mark Davis hired the wrong McDaniel (s). Should've hired the one in Miami instead.

• Options
    Does Redzone do anything pre 1p when there's an AM game?

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, maybe letting Tua play on a short week after complaining about back injuries wasn't a good idea. Fucking yikes the way his hands locked up is scary as hell.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Tua got fucked up.

Looks to be a concussion, if not something more severe. Hands were locked in that way that makes you think seizure or something.

If he's put back this game at all, that's malpractice.

EDIT - Getting stretchered off.

EDIT EDIT - Got to hand it to the Bengals crowd, several chants for him from Bengals faithful. Given the partisanship that often happens (see Pheagles), that's awesome.

It's Teddy Time. So that bodes ill.

MorganV on
  • Options
    I don't think he's doing anything except laying in a hospital bed for the rest of the night if he's lucky.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Remember how there was a question about whether or not concussion protocol was being followed last Sunday?

The League said, 'Sure. Why not.'

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    He didn't look like he had a back injury last week either, he looked like he had a head injury. This week he gets taken pretty hard to the ground on a sack and he looks like his brain is fucked. I hope he's OK. There's an investigation going on right now about if the concussion protocol was followed correctly last week, right? I wonder if they find anything.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    While we're kicking owners out of the league, Ross would be a good idea.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It's clear the so-called Concussion Protocol is just as much of a joke as the Rooney Rule

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    And if the league took my advice on making doinks worth extra points, the Dolphins would be tied now.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    2 concussions this close together is really bad news

Jesus Christ

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    For those wondering what was up with Tua's hands: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing_response

(also, holy crap do Wikipedia editors work fast, tonight's game is already listed as a "notable example")

• Options
    It's clear the so-called Concussion Protocol is just as much of a joke as the Rooney Rule

It briefly looked like they were taking it more seriously a few years back, but now I know they are trying to hype their new helmets as being a difference maker which anyone with a basic understanding physics and what a concussion is knows is bullshit.

• Options
    A seatbelt will prevent you from being thrown through the windshield.

It won't stop you from being jerked around.

There is no helmet in existence that would prevent the brain from sloshing back and forth.

• Options
    Al Michaels saying apparently he wasn't in concussion protocol because it was actually a back injury last week

Which

riiiiight

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    That was the Dolphins' excuse shortly after the game, yeah.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I totally get woozy and stumble around when my back hurts. :eyeroll:

Butters on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I’ve watched more puppy bowl that pro bowl.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

It briefly looked like they were taking it more seriously a few years back, but now I know they are trying to hype their new helmets as being a difference maker which anyone with a basic understanding physics and what a concussion is knows is bullshit.

It is clear that it won't ever be taken serious until a player suffers permanent, and immediate, effects. Like not until they have a Ray Chapman tragedy. Fucking hell.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

It is clear that it won't ever be taken serious until a player suffers permanent, and immediate, effects. Like not until they have a Ray Chapman tragedy. Fucking hell.

Honestly, not even then.

• Options
    maraji wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »

Honestly, not even then.

Yep. I'm expecting more Junior Seau's, if not Jovan Belcher's, if these people aren't looked after instead as grist for the NFL juggernaut.

Of course, then they can blame it on other factors, because they're never going to want to do an in-depth look at what their players are suffering, because then they'd be responsible, and as the money is directed at the owners, and the owners are the ones who control the direction of the NFL, that's not going to change.

"We did our best!" says corporation intentionally not doing their best.

Only way it changes if the NFL itself is made an independent body, and there's too much money involved for 25+ billionaires (and a couple of hundred millionaires), that that'll ever happen.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The only thing that would have made last night more surreal is if Miami would have been the last undefeated team going in. Let’s see those jackass ‘72 Dolphins pop their traditional champagne after that.

• Options
    The NFLPA has fired the Unafiliated Neurotrauma Consultant who cleared Tagovailoa to return to play after the first concussion against Baltimore.

For a quick primer both the League and PA have joint consent over the use of these consultants. But either can get rid of them for any reason.

The NFLPA’s decision to terminate the unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant involving in clearing Tua Tagovailoa came after the union’s discovery of “several mistakes” made by the doctor in its view, per source.

Jonathan Jones does NFL reporting for CBS

Were the protocols followed? Sure. Why not.

• Options
    This makes us look bad? Let's fire a scapegoat. Surely that'll fix the problem!

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    To be precise (according to Tom Pelissero, who was one of the reporters who broke the story about the firing):

The NFLPA cited several factors in terminating the unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant involved in Tua Tagovailoa’s concussion check last Sunday – including failure to understand his role as UNC and hostility during the investigation process, sources tell me and Rap Sheet.

So he was fired for overreaching and/or being incompetent, and then being an asshole when questioned on it. But also

Sideline UNCs are assigned by the NFL Head, Neck and Spine Committee and approved by the NFL Chief Medical Officer and the NFLPA Medical Director. The responsibility for diagnosis of concussion and return to play remains exclusively within the judgment of the team physician. [emphasis added]

Dolphins medics: "Wuh-oh."

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I feel bad for Tua in all this. Dude goes out and slays the hated Patriots on their own turf, leads the comeback of a lifetime while simultaneously putting his name next to the two greatest QBs in Miami history, and then leads his team against the vaunted Bills to a nearly statistically impossible victory.

The man was finally putting all the naysayers and haters in their place, making them eat crow, and cementing his place as the undisputed leader of his team. Then this shit happens.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo