As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elden Ring] Ahead, Try Jumping (SPOILER WARNING!)

ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever warRegistered User regular
edited April 2022 in Games and Technology
https://youtu.be/T6EcJ6Sv5Ns
"ELDEN RING" was created under the guidance of FromSoftware’s Hidetaka Miyazaki, incorporating the expansive worldview through the eyes of George R. R. Martin, author of the fantasy novel series, "A Song of Ice and Fire," while applying FromSoftware’s expertise in developing pulse pounding, action based titles, and with the game’s vast and explorative world filled with excitement and adventure, customers worldwide have been showering the game with praise for its unprecedented and overwhelming gameplay experience. Simultaneous release of the game in fourteen languages (※3), coupled with the worldwide network tests prior to release, raised expectations to bring about sales of more than 12M units worldwide.

Please look forward to more of "ELDEN RING" as an IP (characters and other intellectual property) in hopes of expanding beyond the realm of games.

- Bandai Namco

A word from President & CEO/Director of FromSoftware, Inc., Hidetaka Miyazaki *
It's astonishing to see just how many people have been playing "Elden Ring."

I'd like to extend our heartfelt thanks on behalf of the entire development team.

"Elden Ring" is based on a mythological story written by George R. R. Martin. We hope players enjoy a high level of freedom when adventuring through its vast world, exploring its many secrets and facing up to its many threats.

Thank you for your continued support.

Platforms:
Microsoft Windows (Steam)
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 5
Xbox One
Xbox Series X/S

Release Date: February 25, 2022

INTERVIEW WITH MIYAZAKI
Sam Wilkinson, Bandai Namco: First off, please tell me when and how development for Elden Ring took off.
Hidetaka Miyazaki, Game Director: Development for Elden Ring started just after development for the Dark Souls 3 DLC had ended. At the time, Elden Ring was being planned as a more classic fantasy title compared to others that were either being considered or already in the early stages of development.
We wanted to create a new dark fantasy action RPG full of things that we weren’t able to do in the Dark Souls series.
Wilkinson: What genre do you think Elden Ring will fall under?
Miyazaki: It is a third-person action RPG.
Unlike Sekiro, which has a heavy focus on action, Elden Ring puts more focus on RPG elements.
Of course, we are not shying away from the fun of responsive melee-based combat, and these elements will be present as well.
Wilkinson: Do you believe this title will turn out to be a very From-like and challenging game?
Miyazaki: Yes, I do. The importance we place on the joy the player experiences through overcoming challenges will be the same as it is in our other titles. I believe it will prove to be a very satisfying experience.
Earlier I had said that this title focuses more heavily on RPG elements. This title will include a wide variety of weapons, magic, and ways to engage enemies, that make it possible to provide users with a style of gameplay and strategy that suits them.
Even when compared to the Dark Souls series, I believe this title will provide even more variety in the ways for players to overcome challenges and tweak their tactics when facing enemies.
Wilkinson: Will Elden Ring contain character customization elements like in Dark Souls, or will it be similar to Sekiro in that there is a fixed protagonist that the player controls?
Miyazaki: Yes, it will contain character customization elements.
Similar to the Dark Souls series, Elden Ring allows players to design and control their own unique character. As I said earlier, this title puts a heavy focus on RPG elements, and we thought this approach would best suit that focus.
Wilkinson: Regarding the collaboration with George R. R. Martin, can you further explain how this collaboration came about and in what role it has served throughout the project?
Miyazaki: I suppose the start of this collaboration came from the fact that I myself am I huge fan of Mr. Martin’s work.
I loved “A Song of Ice and Fire” as well as the “Tuf Voyaging” series, however if I had to pick a favorite I would probably say “Fevre Dream.”
I personally see “Fevre Dream” as a masterpiece among vampire fantasy and had even previously recommended it to all new employees.
Me being such a known fan of Mr. Martin caused our executive business director Eiichi Nakajima to reach out to him with the expectation that we would get turned down.
However, we were then given the rare opportunity to talk one-on-one with Mr. Martin which was an incredibly fun and stimulating experience. It was then that I strongly felt that I wanted to work with Mr. Martin.
I am still unable to put into words how grateful I am to Mr. Martin for agreeing to our offer.
The actual collaboration itself begun with Mr. Martin ever so politely confirming what sorts of themes, ideas as well as many game-related aspects I had envisioned for the game.
This allowed us to have many free and creative conversations regarding the game, in which Mr. Martin later used as a base to write the overarching mythos for the game world itself.
This mythos proved to be full of interesting characters and drama along with a plethora of mystical and mysterious elements as well. It was a wonderful source of stimulus for me and the development staff.
Elden Ring’s world was constructed using this mythos and stimulus as a base. Even I myself find it hard to contain my excitement from time to time. We hope that everyone else is looking forward to the world we have created.
Wilkinson: What are some differences when compared to your previous titles (especially Dark Souls)?
Miyazaki: If I were to put aside the world full of fresh stimulus thanks to our collaboration with Mr. Martin, I would have to say the biggest difference is it being open world.
Due to this, the scale of the world and its narrative, as well as the depth and freedom of exploration have increased dramatically. It is without a doubt our biggest title yet in terms of sheer volume.
There are many definitions to the term “open world,” and I might not be phrasing it correctly, but we have simply tried our own approach to a game with a large, open field to play in.
It is a world full of danger and threats, as well as many areas ripe for exploration.
Among those areas, you will also find intricately designed, multi-layered castles and such.
Wilkinson: What is the meaning behind the title?
Miyazaki: Elden Ring is the name given to a mysterious concept that defines the world itself.
As the trailer at the conference implied, this “Elden Ring” has been shattered. The significance of this will be one of the important themes of the game.
That’s about all I can say at this point in time (laughter)
Wilkinson: Will Elden Ring contain the gritty, intense boss fights we’ve all come to love and expect from From?
Miyazaki: Yes, of course. Boss fights are something we enjoy making and make up one of the climaxes to this title as well. We feel there is a wide variety of unique and horrifying bosses for players to look forward to.
Wilkinson: What can you teach us about the character shown in the concept art that was released?
Miyazaki: We chose this character because of his eccentric aspects as well as the way he portrays the darkness that the world and story possess.
While Elden Ring may be a classic dark fantasy title, it is more than just that.
This character also represents one more theme in addition to the previously mentioned eccentricity.
That theme is the will, or ambition of mankind.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/hidetaka-miyazaki-and-george-rr-martin-present-elden-ring/
Multiplayer
The Multiplayer Menu can be accessed from within the Main Menu where you can set a Multiplayer Password and a Group Password. Setting a Multiplayer Password means you can only be matched for most multiplayer features by other people using the same password; However, this does not avoid Invasions nor support some multiplayer (e.g. summoned Hunters who activated a Blue Cipher Ring).

PA Group/Community Password: Wang ('wang' and 'WANG' also used)

CBZDO7r.jpg
z9WpE4v.jpg

@Zavian in this thread with character name and platform to be added to OP Multiplayer List

PS
Dignified Pauper

Xbox

PC
Official Tips/Info
DA7jCZr.jpgEe1hC6o.jpg
EjXKVKq.jpgeTPQ2NK.jpg
Trg64nK.jpg4CQ5Ihu.jpg
hpY17vY.jpgFq9X2Ta.jpg
Technical Info * https://www.fromsoftware.jp/ww/pressrelease_detail.html?tgt=20220316_eldenring_salesdata
4qvspf3rdn9h.png

Echo on

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    why is it always dog?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the elden ring for the elden king its elden bling dont be elden disrespecting

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    So I know that by invading people I am automatically the asshole and my complaints should not hold any weight, but I still feel like I'm the moral superior to the groups of three people clearly sitting around waiting to be invaded who teabag on victory.

Sure, I'm being an asshole, but when you've respec'd for two glass cannons with a tank host and one of those guys died in a 3v1 fight, I'm not sure you're dunking on randos picking fights as hard as you think you have.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    To respond to the build questions from the other thread, AFAICT Quality builds are not particularly great in Elden Ring. Soft caps seem higher, you probably want to invest more flexibly in a bunch of stats, and a lot of great uniques scale well enough off casting stats that you can have a viable mixed build with a powerful weapon and good ranged options. They aren't going to be terrible or anything, but I feel like they were always kind of a concession to "I want to wield a nonmagic weapon and do as much damage as possible and eventually I stop dealing more damage if I buff one stat or the other", which isn't a problem Elden Ring really has.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    So I know that by invading people I am automatically the asshole and my complaints should not hold any weight, but I still feel like I'm the moral superior to the groups of three people clearly sitting around waiting to be invaded who teabag on victory.

Sure, I'm being an asshole, but when you've respec'd for two glass cannons with a tank host and one of those guys died in a 3v1 fight, I'm not sure you're dunking on randos picking fights as hard as you think you have.

killing both summons definitely counts as a moral victory in my book

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Silliest reason i found for not using buff items: My stupid Mimic Tear attempting to chug all her consuambles when summoend and getting owned for it.

you're imitating a player too well there

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    So is there any reason to not kill every merchant you find and turn in the bearings? Is there any downside at all aside from feeling like a baddie?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Radahn down on my mage! It only took 2 tries. And the first time was really close. I just kept summoning mooks and plinking away at his healthbar with my magic lol.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    To respond to the build questions from the other thread, AFAICT Quality builds are not particularly great in Elden Ring. Soft caps seem higher, you probably want to invest more flexibly in a bunch of stats, and a lot of great uniques scale well enough off casting stats that you can have a viable mixed build with a powerful weapon and good ranged options. They aren't going to be terrible or anything, but I feel like they were always kind of a concession to "I want to wield a nonmagic weapon and do as much damage as possible and eventually I stop dealing more damage if I buff one stat or the other", which isn't a problem Elden Ring really has.

Hmmmmm.

Maybe I'll just focus on dex for now. If I find a good weapon that makes me wish I had a higher strength, I can worry about it later.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    So is there any reason to not kill every merchant you find and turn in the bearings? Is there any downside at all aside from feeling like a baddie?
    Absolutely no downside.

If an NPC does get hostile after a little misunderstanding involving a giant club to the head, you can just head to the church of vows and use a celestial due to have all hostile npcs reset to neutral.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    So I'm level 96 on my new playthrough, Altus Plateau is pretty much untouched and I'm bumming around Caelid, making sure I've crossed my Is and dotted my Ts, and there's the Divine Tower of Caelid - might as well go cleanse this great rune, not that I ever use them.
    Huh. Once you climb inside there's a hallway that leads down - and it looks pretty dangerous to try, but there's definitely something going on in here...

Huh. You can get all the way to the bottom of the tower - wow.

Huh, there's a boss - it's a Godskin.

120,000 runes. Noyce.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there is some evidence in the files of a cut sidequest involving the first merchant in the church ruins near the start and someone killing the nomad merchants, but yeah it was cut.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I figure it's for NG+.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular

A lack of beautiful music throughout the Lands Between, played by lonely nomads who just want to chill like hermits, jam on their crazy violin-thingies and hock some handy wares.

What of the music?
    I would never touch those guys.
    They all mean well. I'd beat the shit out of Gideon, if I could, soon as he betrays Nepheli.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Had to make a new character. It's a compulsion.

Pretty happy with how she looks.
    ?

Now to go beat the shit out of stuff with the biggest axes I can find...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Copied from the old thread:

Fextralife recently detailed a Quality Samurai build. It leans on the Nagakiba which has a significant Strength requirement in addition to the Dexterity requirement and gives you greatsword-like reach with katana speed and innate bleed. It also uses greatbows for ranged options. Since the nagakiba can be infused, there's also a bit of faith but most of the incantation scaling comes from strength.

https://youtu.be/7N9o1-uASgQ

You could arguably do it as a much more strength oriented build, but dex also does buff casting speed and helps with bow damage until you get a greatbow or if one decides to just stuck with normal bows and their more available and affordable ammo.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    It's very meta of them to attempt to drive you insane outside the game with:
    the absolutely excruciating jumping section before getting you to accept the flame of Chaos.

Why yes, I am currently in the mood to burn everything to the ground right now actually. Thanks for asking.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2022

Copied from the old thread:

Fextralife recently detailed a Quality Samurai build. It leans on the Nagakiba which has a significant Strength requirement in addition to the Dexterity requirement and gives you greatsword-like reach with katana speed and innate bleed. It also uses greatbows for ranged options. Since the nagakiba can be infused, there's also a bit of faith but most of the incantation scaling comes from strength.

https://youtu.be/7N9o1-uASgQ

You could arguably do it as a much more strength oriented build, but dex also does buff casting speed and helps with bow damage until you get a greatbow or if one decides to just stuck with normal bows and their more available and affordable ammo.

I'm kind of shocked by how much they gutted quality.

50/50 Quality Nagakiba is 544/591 (a bit more stat investment than the others on here, and even another ten levels for 55/55 falls short of the others)
    80/22 Heavy Nagakiba is 577/617
    18/80 Keen Nagakiba at +24 (it has the scaling bug on Keen at +25) is 620/623
    12/80 Keen Nagakiba is ---/620 (must 2h)
    18/22/70 Occult Nagakiba is 559/564 and bumps the bleed from 45 to 84

...just for fun, 80/80 quality nagakiba is 656/684.

Kamar on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    On a different subject entirely, man, I am seriously tired of the camera losing its fucking mind when I'm going around the corner of a structure. It's not a problem I remember from Dark Souls or Bloodborne, either.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Yeah, I initially planned on going for a quality build because in Dark Souls 2 and 3 that let you wield basically any weapon (or, in DS2, any combination of weapons) effectively and gave you huge variety. But in Elden Ring I've discovered a few things.

1) There are sooooo many weapons with Intelligence, Faith, or even Arcane requirements that quality doesn't really feel like the variety build anymore.
    2) The Quality infusion seems to be consistently worse than at least one of Standard, Heavy, or Keen even at like 30/25 or 35/30 stats.
    3) A small investment in Faith goes a really long way, between the Clawmark Seal and stat buffs from talismans or flask effects.

So eventually it got to the point where I was like...screw it, raising my Faith from 10 to 12, and then 18, and then 20, and then 22, feels better than putting those points into Dexterity, so I've drifted more and more towards a STR/FAI build over time. (Although I think I love Bloodhound's Fang too much to really go ham into Faith for scaling purposes; I'm still just aiming to hit minimums for the most part.)

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm leaning towards my next playthrough being some sort of horrible Occult Nagakiba with faith shennagins.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Also it turns out people have investigated the blood loss dog.

On it's charge, the dog procs bleed roughly 5 or 6 times. Hence, this is why they are instant death from that specific attack.

I suspect this is a hilarious bug that they just left in the game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So that whole weapon aspect thing of quality or standard or what have you just changes the scaling of the weapons. Right?

I turned my offhand into bloody something or other with an Ashe to give it the blood status to work with my bloodhound for dual blood procs with L1 power stance. That's a thing right?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    So that whole weapon aspect thing of quality or standard or what have you just changes the scaling of the weapons. Right?

I turned my offhand into bloody something or other with an Ashe to give it the blood status to work with my bloodhound for dual blood procs with L1 power stance. That's a thing right?

Adding an ash of war can also change the damage type.
    Dual damage weapons do less damage of each type, but more overall.
    If this is good or not mostly depends on the defenses of what you are fighting, since you get 2 separate damage calculations.

But many, many things are weaker to fire than they are to physical damage for instance.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Yeah, I initially planned on going for a quality build because in Dark Souls 2 and 3 that let you wield basically any weapon (or, in DS2, any combination of weapons) effectively and gave you huge variety. But in Elden Ring I've discovered a few things.

1) There are sooooo many weapons with Intelligence, Faith, or even Arcane requirements that quality doesn't really feel like the variety build anymore.
    2) The Quality infusion seems to be consistently worse than at least one of Standard, Heavy, or Keen even at like 30/25 or 35/30 stats.
    3) A small investment in Faith goes a really long way, between the Clawmark Seal and stat buffs from talismans or flask effects.

So eventually it got to the point where I was like...screw it, raising my Faith from 10 to 12, and then 18, and then 20, and then 22, feels better than putting those points into Dexterity, so I've drifted more and more towards a STR/FAI build over time. (Although I think I love Bloodhound's Fang too much to really go ham into Faith for scaling purposes; I'm still just aiming to hit minimums for the most part.)

I think there's also the factor of the Weapon art being a big part of how effective many weapons are and being able to swap around many of them means you don't need multiple weapons to get a lot of them if you want a variety.
    A lot of the int and faith weapons have unique weapon arts that are strong but not going to be available for quality builds while being strong enough for the int and faith builds to not feel a need to branch out to non-int and faith weapons. I do still use weapons and ashes besides Moonveil but it's with low requirement weapons and usually an ash that scales with int.

It feels like quality could be more for builds based around weapons that just need both high dex and str like Nagakiba or curved greatswords instead of trying to swap between as many weapons as possible.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options

Yes. Using two blood ashes to make two curved swords or straight swords inflict bleed is an established build type. It will work on dual curved greatswords too but be slower than with faster weapons.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'm super psyched about a replay with melee. I seem to always do my first run in a Souls game as magic, learn as much as I can, then come back and bonk shit for a very rewarding 2nd playthrough.

Must reiterate: one of the best values I've had from a retail game in a looooong time.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    If anyone wants to help me take out Rennala, I'll be idling in this hellscape of a mage academy for a while.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

Yes. Using two blood ashes to make two curved swords or straight swords inflict bleed is an established build type. It will work on dual curved greatswords too but be slower than with faster weapons.

Also works great with daggers, since they're the fastest weapon (even faster than curved swords)

The advantage curved swords have is that on a jump or dash attack they do more hits, but if you aren't good at getting jumping light attacks (the timing is a bit tight to get all the hits through), daggers attack much faster on a flat ground L1 combo

source: been beating most of the game with dual blood daggers

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Where do you get more smithing stones at? They really don't seem that common or even sellable.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Some random dungeons will have them gated behind their boss, most usually mines. Mines are also the best source of smithing stones.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Where do you get more smithing stones at? They really don't seem that common or even sellable.

depends on the level you need! mines are your best bet but they don't always gel with what you need at any given time, since the world is so open. you can also find bell bearings to unlock them for purchase at the roundtable hold

there are mobs that drop them too, which is imo an underrated method of gathering them compared to the expense of purchase relative to rune value. like i just found a rune drop for #7 stones in the same region you find the #5 to #6 bell bearing

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Smithing stones are just Around, pretty much everywhere as a common thing-you-find-on-corpses, also pretty common in mine-type mini dungeons, and later on there's items you can find that make the lower rarity ones infinitely purchaseable from a vendor.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Have you tried going to a mine? Plenty of Stones there and I think they re-spawn.

also you can find Smithing-Stone Miner's Bell Bearings and give them to those twin ghouls in round table, then they'll sell you Smithing Stones

• Options
    I don't think mine wall stones respawn but I'd love to be wrong

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Huh I wonder if I should change up my weapon characteristics because curved great swords aren't fast enough for multiple status applications?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Rennala's down, finally.

Is this a good time for the RADAHN FESTIVAL?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to do a beast cleric faith/arcane run so I'm sequence breaking as much as possible to get deathroot. Never thought I'd find myself challenged by a Tibia Mariner, but here we are!

Also, bloody slash is even more broken than mistveil heavy art or hoarfrost stomp, at least early on.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    hot Malenia take coming at you
    I think this fight would actually be easier if she used her waterfowl dance flurry more often. It is so sporadic that it’s hard to get good practice.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    That's a spicy take!

This discussion has been closed.