As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm not Sue Gruff [Game Grumps]

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

He's always been a perfectly serviceable and professional voice actor but I can't take his serious voice roles seriously lmao, he sounds like he's one quip away from taking the piss
    (I have a similar personal me-problem with ProZD's professional work too)

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think it's just knowing it's Arin, because frankly his best voice work is when he's taking the piss.

(Remembering the whole Skeletor bit from that coffee horror game that absolutely slayed me)

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Love seeing Arin and Danny get more exposure outside of Game Grumps.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    As long as he doesn't have to talk about grapes and their position relative to him, and what he intends to do with said grapes.

steam_sig.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    UNAVOIDABLE CHIN MOVE

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Oh man, this is great. I was hoping they would spend an episode on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElGB2bbw-oM

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I was just about to post the same thing. I love Dan narrating the serious reactions to Arin's performance.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    That post is three years old...

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah I love the replies, "I thought Hard Drive was a satire site, this is like every episode?".

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/a_8K9GZek28
    I didn't live through the horrors of war only to miss the best holiday specials the Grumps do.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah the tin soldier voice lines killed me

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I don't normally like 10MPH that much, but I did like the Medieval Times one, so I really enjoyed this new one.

The cast being so cool and supportive when Arin and Dan were doing the stunts was just heartwarming.

Zomro on
    My favorite line was probably Danny's:

"I'm fourty-three years old... sometimes I injure myself by sleeping".

https://youtu.be/juLbFrGFDf0
    Arin freebases sugar, to predictable, hilarious results.

The change in his mood from start to finish is a really great example of sugar rush lol.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Okay yeah that was really fucking fun. I might be more into their 10MPH than their Game Grumps videos it seems.

The change in his mood from start to finish is a really great example of sugar rush lol.

DRINK.

Grumps have kind of been spinning its wheels lately, but they're making a slight change to their schedule by making Sundays their "long game" days, featuring longer episodes for games that make take longer to beat. "Longer" being relative; I don't think they're going back to Elden Ring or anything.

But the important thing is the game they're playing is the first Sam and Max game! I've been hoping they'd play this one for years, and like me, Dan apparently has the whole game memorized.

I think when they get ready to go on tour they kind of phone it in for the Youtube videos.

All impressions are Youtube just ain't the profitmaker for them anymore, and their tours probably rake in a ton of money.

I can't stand the video titles nowadays. Wanna watch one of their Observation Duty videos? Just look for uh... Dan Messed up! Or perhaps uh... We shit ourselves!

I'm kidding, look up a fan playlist that reorganizes the shit show they turned the channel's organization into to nakedly trend chase for 12 year olds taking a brief break from Tik Tok. Or stop regularly watching it, which is probably what most of the original viewers have done. It's just a nightmare to never know what they're playing, if playing that will last more than one episode, if there was actually a whole series of this but it was running two weeks ago with a thumbnail of Dan frowning (instead of the game), etc. I hate it, it's awful.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    If I can't tell what the game is by the title or the thumbnail, I don't watch it.

And I know all of it is because of the algorithm so I do my part by not supporting this nonsense. If something is part 2, put part 2 in the title. I clicked on something recently thinking it was a one-off and it was part 2 or 3 to a series. It sucks.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, the channel seems increasingly slavish to the algorithm for the past few years. Focusing more on Arin getting mad or WaCkY gAmEs than the original appeal of two charismatic guys playing games while riffing on whatever.

Even if the channel isn’t the primary moneymaker, doing whatever they can to maximize ad revenue can make it a more reliable and stable source of income, and I get that. Doesn’t mean I like it though.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I usually watch highlight comps/the best ofs rather than the game play

What gets me is that even the clickbaity shit I see on Youtube still gives some indication of what's going on in the video.

The Harvester thumbnails were fucking egregious.

I mostly just blame it on The Algorithm, but these days, I tend to be more excited by WoolieVersus or Snapcube videos, though those have their issues, too.

On the other hand, now that work lets me work from home two days a week, I have a few more hours of stuff to watch, and the Grumps make good background filler. I do miss things like Zelda playthroughs and other longplays. Hell, give Elden Ring another shot! Or play, I dunno, Stray or something. It's short enough and narrative-heavy.

Yeah I've been mostly listening to old compilations or watching other channels. I can't deal with the titles and thumbnails. But chasing new user engagement is the new hotness. I even stopped paying for their Patreon lately.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    What’s frustrating is Arin and Dan’s chemistry is as excellent as ever. They somehow remain just as funny and easy to watch as ever. It sucks that they’re hamstrung in so many ways by the algorithm and by what kind of content remains popular.

Granted, it might be that they prefer the one-offs or short series themselves from a production perspective, can’t rule that out.

God, what a shit sandwich of a world it would be if they didn’t give Tears of the Kingdom a proper playthrough.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Grumps have kind of been spinning its wheels lately, but they're making a slight change to their schedule by making Sundays their "long game" days, featuring longer episodes for games that make take longer to beat. "Longer" being relative; I don't think they're going back to Elden Ring or anything.

But the important thing is the game they're playing is the first Sam and Max game! I've been hoping they'd play this one for years, and like me, Dan apparently has the whole game memorized.

I remember everything that happens in that game, it was my favorite point-and-click game back in high school, but I'll be damned if I could remember the actual puzzle solutions and what to grab in each location like he does. It's absolutely amazing to watch - something that took weeks for me to unravel (without the internet obviously) - is something he just does without seeming to think about it.

I'm still enjoying the grumps - but I completely agree on the titles of the videos. I got super excited at one of the last ones, thinking it was going to be a continuation of that horse series they usually play, only to find it was a Wii horse game that didn't even entirely work because of a bad emulation setup. They need to put the name of the game in the title.

Also, I think I'm to the point of being against the entire emulation thing for them unless they want to take the time to thoroughly test the game prior to playing it for a video. The Wii stuff never works out and the controls are wonky at best, their emulators are often not set up to run at a decent resolution so they're blurry and hard to follow (like Shrek racing), and just in general the setup gets in the way of the fun.

Emulating things seems like a shame when they started the channel with a massive wall of the real, physical games to play. Then they, I guess got rid of (donated) the bulk of that stuff and don't do much in the way of prep work to make sure the session won't be a disaster (except for audio issues, the main tech Arin cares about).

All of the comments are dragging them for the exact thing I pointed out, feels good. But also, guaranteeing a long series is a good return to form for them.

edited March 2023
    I honestly think DGR2 broke them and they've been quiet quitting the show ever since.

Edit: That being said, the 10MPH have been a lot of fun

jungleroomx on
    Is that a 1h upload or is it longer? I mean a single day of the week for a long series is pretty absurd. How many hours long was the Breath of the Wild playthrough? That'd take them a full year to get through it lol.

urahonky wrote: »
    Is that a 1h upload or is it longer? I mean a single day of the week for a long series is pretty absurd. How many hours long was the Breath of the Wild playthrough? That'd take them a full year to get through it lol.

It's ~1hr long.

I mostly just blame it on The Algorithm, but these days, I tend to be more excited by WoolieVersus or Snapcube videos, though those have their issues, too.

On the other hand, now that work lets me work from home two days a week, I have a few more hours of stuff to watch, and the Grumps make good background filler. I do miss things like Zelda playthroughs and other longplays. Hell, give Elden Ring another shot! Or play, I dunno, Stray or something. It's short enough and narrative-heavy.

Arin has been pretty up-front that the thumbnail changes e.t.c are precisely to chase the algorithm, and that he fucking hates it, but if he doesn't do it he's got like a dozen employees now whose jobs could be at risk. As a software developer who's degree largely focussed on said ALGORITHMS, I fucking hate that big tech is starting to use said algorithms for everything, even if I understand why. And the why is easy; because its cheaper than using a human. They "why not" is because no algorithm is perfect, and even if you can create one that's accurate most of the time, they will manage to fuck up in ways a human never would, and they can't explain why.

That's the dirty secret behind the recent string of false-demonetizations; the people in charge literally do not know why its happening because, assuming they're using something like a traditional neural network, the network's logic is completely opaque to us humans. When you train an algorithm like the one YouTube uses to flag offensive content, you give it a big pile of videos, tell it which are offensive and which aren't, and then run a bunch of loops over and over to adjust its internal weights and thresholds such that when shown a unique video its never seen before, it can usually identify whether its offensive or not. What it can't do is tell you why its offensive, it just saw a thing and gave it an "offensiveness" score based on its training set of "offensive" and "not offensive" videos.

This sort of thing is fine when given human oversight; we can train neural nets to be mostly right for a wide-range of problems, or even as accurate as a typical human for certain tasks, but when it fails, it will often fail spectacularly in ways which look completely ridiculous to a human observer. Because the network does not think like a human; it doesn't "think" at all! And it will look for the most efficient solution to a problem, so you better be damn sure you've correctly defined the problem you want it to solve. The textbook example of this failing was one of the very first neural networks back in the 80's (these things are not new!) which was supposed to be a sort of "IFF" system that could be shown a picture of a tank, and tell you whether it was an American or Soviet tank. And after training it on hundreds/thousands of pictures, they got it to a state where it could very accurately tell if a brand new picture was of a Soviet or American tank. Great! Then they took it out into the field and showed it some actual tanks and found that depending on the day and weather conditions it would decide that the tanks were either all American, or all Soviet. Because the key difference in the pictures they'd used for the training set was that the pictures of the American tanks were all taken on a sunny day in California, and the Soviet tanks were all photographed on a cloudy day in Moscow. So the network decided that if its sunny it must be an American tank, and if its cloudy, it must be a Soviet tank. And this is why we have self-driving Teslas that are mostly fit for purpose, but will still occasionally decide a speck of dust on the camera is an obstacle and swerve into a toddler.

None of this is a problem if you have a human checking the AI's work, but YouTube are pathologically opposed to this because that costs money. So instead the almighty algorithm alone decides whether your video lives or dies based on what videos are already popular, which is a self-reinforcing loop that ensures that only the same sort of content that's already popular gets promoted and anyone who wants to try something new and different can go fuck themselves.

I kind of hope that some kind of alternative to YouTube can arise some day with less algorithms driving everything, but the reality is that shit's expensive.

urahonky wrote: »

It's ~1hr long.

Jeez. If they play Tears of the Kingdom it'll take them all year.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2023

I remember everything that happens in that game, it was my favorite point-and-click game back in high school, but I'll be damned if I could remember the actual puzzle solutions and what to grab in each location like he does. It's absolutely amazing to watch - something that took weeks for me to unravel (without the internet obviously) - is something he just does without seeming to think about it.

The secret is that the Grumps play everything with a guide - they just don’t say it out loud all the time. You can tell by what they say and do during the Harvester game along with a number of other ones. They state it flat out that is what they are doing since they are there to entertain through their discussion during the game rather than actually playing through it. Dan likely remembers a good deal, I’m sure, but the perfectness as to what to do where and when is because they are looking through a guide.

Just like the emulation, they no longer care how they are playing it, they are mainly just posting videos with them talking over it - which is why they are emulating ether very old games or very unknown or foreign games - less likely to be demonitized that way.

Nitsua on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    If I can't tell what the game is by the title or the thumbnail, I don't watch it.

And I know all of it is because of the algorithm so I do my part by not supporting this nonsense. If something is part 2, put part 2 in the title. I clicked on something recently thinking it was a one-off and it was part 2 or 3 to a series. It sucks.

Happy to report the latest episode has a 2 on the thumbnail...although it's not in the video title and the name of the game is absent.