Options

[Elden Ring] Shadow of the Erd Tree OUT NOW

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    One final thing to mention: Tracking.

Pest Threads Spears can be out ranged (it's pretty short as these things go), but dodged by a boss? Or general NPC? Ooooh no, they're eating shit and they're going to like it.

Great for dragon heads, among other such otherwise annoying targets

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm still working on the final boss. I think I'm slowly getting better at it. I think my best attempt so far has been getting him to 20% HP.
    I was initially confused by the phase 2 grab move, which seemed to not actually do anything. Turns out it's an instant kill with a special message and animation if it hits you a second time. And then afterwards you get an emote.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm still working on the final boss. I think I'm slowly getting better at it. I think my best attempt so far has been getting him to 20% HP.
    I was initially confused by the phase 2 grab move, which seemed to not actually do anything. Turns out it's an instant kill with a special message and animation if it hits you a second time. And then afterwards you get an emote.
    if you want, you can use miquella'a great rune aftee the first grab to clear it off of you

• Options
    Well, I have a new best attempt.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

FUCK

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Catching up on some lore and theory after finishing.
    I liked how the dlc adds a lot to some of the most intriguing threads from the base game. Lots of Miquella, of course.
    Marika's history, the nature of the Marika/Radogan duality, why Malenia fought Radahn, why the crucible is so despised, etc.

But i did find it disappointing that we didnt get more of Godwyn. After Miquella, i always found that the most intriguing path. And Godwyn being the Promised Consort would have made a lot of sense, i imagine.

I honestly found the Radahn reveal a little . . .underwhelming? It probably didnt help that i could avoid spoilers around that, but i just didnt get the connection, much.
    It almost feels shoved in, in order to answer the question of Malenia'd whisper and why she fought Radahn (admittedly, not a minor unanswered question)

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Also, one more quibble.
    if we were going to get more Radahn info. . . The most interesting unanswered question was why he fought the stars. Weird to make him so central but not address that part, imo

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    making the final boss radahn felt kinda fanservicey tbh

like, they know motherfuckers love radahn so they gotta make him an artorias i guess

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Why
    Radahn Fought the Stars
    I feel like Elden Ring, and Shadow of the Erdtree, is why Radahn fought the stars. Specifically, and this is all just speculation, it feels like either every single child of Marika save for Morgott the daddy's boy and Godwyn the murdered(?), either had access to the same information, or all individually came to the same conclusion.

Space Bad.

Things from space BAD.

Personally, I feel that Marika told all her kids what was up, and her misgivings, as via Melina we know towards the end there she was proselytizing to the Erdtree faithful that they should investigate the Golden Order a bit deeper and not just go on blind faith anymore.

Couple the fact that Radahn fought the stars in his youth, him just saying, "Okay that was nuts, no more heavenly bodies period" makes a little bit of sense even just from a practical standpoint. Sure his teacher? Came from the stars and was fine! Everything else? not so much.

• Options
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    back in stormveil on my caster.

Damn, they were really firing on all cylinders with this one weren’t they? Completely forgot how many secrets are tucked away here

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Stormveil is gorgeous, and I wish other places met it's intricates. Thankfully the DLC scratches that itch, but stormveil is always a highlight.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I think Raya Lucaria and Leyndell are both close to Stormveil in terms of scope and level design

But there is something special about Stormveil

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I hate Stormveil. Honestly not into any of those spaces, they just aren't really what I like out of the game. Navigating one of those feels more like an obtuse platformer than like, exploring a living (well, dying, but still) world.

• Options
    Raya feels a lot more direct - It's actually very linear, and most of it's side tracks are well, side tracks. The roof route is neat, but it doesnt actually do much mechincally for you - it gets you a key for thops, which is mostly a thing to unlock some nice sorceriers

Leyndell has the same issue, ontop of heavily obfuscating the actual right way to go because of how maze like it is. Which leads to the weird thing of you rush through it if you know where you're going - there's not a lot of decision points to make. There's at least a lot of cool discoveries to make, especially the "Wait. it goes down HOW deep!?"

Stormveil is cool in that it has a straight path right to the boss - but said path is hard as balls and basically designed to get you killed. in terms of Narrative, it's a very satisfying route though - you basically look at a castle in all it's defensive glory and go "I'm hard enough". And then you proceed to wreck it.

Alternatively, you take advantage of all the alternate routes the crumbling failure of the castle has opened up, and you get a very ninja/dndesque experience of exploring this decaying castle, unearthing it's horrors and eventually killing the foul king. Most of it's side tracks link back to the main path, progressively opening said main path up for you, or open up some deeper story elements that make it feel quite rewarding to have found.

Lowkey, one of my complaints in the DLC is that Midra's manse is basically perfectly suited for some old school Dark Souls goodness where you open up shortcuts back to a single bonfire... and then they rtandomly stick a few easier ones in? Which isnt nearly as fun.

• Options
    Meanwhile, back in the DLC, terrible news: Old man killed by rampanging bear.

Beast Claws remain really fun, and i've been enjoying digging in and refining this build further and further - including some digressions to play with faith casting.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Finally got a chance to play some of the DLC this weekend! Currently have beaten two bosses with zero upgrades so far
    The Blackgaol Knight and the Death Knight

both which occurred when I dropped my method of careful, patient strategy in favor of nonstop, relentless bullying

• Options
    edited July 8
    hey here's a dumb base-game question: how are you intended to discover that you have to use miquella's needle in placidusax's arena to make it work?

the item description for the needle spells out what it does in very explicit terms, but how are you meant to understand that you've gotta use it in a specific location? I've only heard that bit from the internet.

i guess i should've tried using it out of the arena, wouldn't shock me if it gave you a message that hinted that way

EDIT: nvm i'm a dummy, i just reread the item description and it also says that part

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    You also get clued in by being given an ancient stone when you get the needle.

But it's pretty weird!

• Options
    Think I might be starting to finally come around on Incantations and magic in general

A handful more levels in Faith, a bit more Mind, Flame Grant Me Strength, and realizing I could've replace the Faithful Talisman with the Flock Talisman a while ago, and Giantsflame Take Thee has now turned into a goddamn powerhouse of a spell for a pretty minimal cost. Went through Belarut toasting everything in sight like the Lord of Frenzied Flame I currently am- mulched the sudden
    Poison Ulcerated Spirit
    in one go like it was an ultimate revenge on the whole lot of them, and the Big Fireball was a far superior choice over Wave of Destruction for picking at the
    Dancing Lion
    in a safe and strategic manmer

Went back and scored the Black Flame as well (which I'd missed real early along with a bunch of other stuff in Stormveil), and it's already been a handy alternative on more than a few occasions when flames and gravity weren't gonna do the trick. Currently trying to figure out how to make the Crucible Tail and Horns work effectively in a fight, since every other incant @The Zombie Penguin gave a positive review to has been panning out very well as I mess with them (except the Pest Threads, which I just cannot aim to make them worth it to save my life)

• Options
    Now that I can use it I love the idea of Flame of the Fell God, but for how much it costs and how much Faith it requires, it feels like it needs to last at least three seconds longer/track a lot better to make it useable

• Options
    edited July 9
    @mrpaku Crucible Horn is one you use to start a fight - It's pretty hard to get off during a fight, but if you do something like go Discus of light (aggro target) -> full charge Horn while the enemy is coming at you, they tend to eat shit from the launch. You can bully a lot of humanoid npcs by just continually launching them like a hacky sack.

Cruicble tail, you often do it expecting to trade - always full charge it, it's not really worth it uncharged, full charged takes barely longer and the second tail swipe does way way more damage, and also immense posture/stun damage.

They're very much incants meant to be used like the Knights use them - with heavy armor and plenty of poise so you can out-trade someone or otherwise bully them with it. (it's just a shame you're fighting the uphill battle that is this game's spell ui)

Pest Threads - make sure you're locked on, and it does the aiming for you.
    ---

Meanwhile, i did it. Beast Claws vs DLC final boss: BEAST CLAWS WIN.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I can't believe Fia makes you very uncomfortable AND debuffs your health by 5% for hours because you're not paying attention. At least make her hang out with the gross fingers if she's going to be weird about free hugs.

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Crucible horn makes any normal sized enemy a joke. You knock them flying with the charged version, and 3 of those in a row staggers them for an easy crit.

I'm running a crucible build atm and that plus Crucible flight can do an easy 10k opener.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I realize I’m years late at this point but I’m loving the Moonveil

I was just never much of a katana/samurai guy before

My first playthrough was mostly with a pre-nerfed Reduvia

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited July 9
    I wrote this up in the other elden ring thread in G&T, but crossposting here since it's useful info:

Defence stacking is hilariously effective in Elden Ring.

It's all multiplicative, which means while you can't get immunity to a damage type, if you cast something like Flame Protect Me?

You're taking 60% less fire damage than you were. You had 50% fire resist before, and you cast it? You'll take 60% less damage than you were at 50%.

A friend was having trouble vs a boss, so I came along to help out, and they were going what the hell as his fire attacks just tickled me - because I had 85% fire resist with everything up.

Just absolutely silly time.

HP makes that go further. Having trouble with a boss? Slap on Dragoncrest Greatshield, Crimson Amber +3, pearldrake +3 and the relevant Elemental resist shield. Put opaline Hardtear In your physick + Deflecting or Winged hard tear

Still having trouble? Equip morgot's great rune a and pop a rune arc. Cast golden vow (there's even a craftablea consumable version now, though it only lasts 45s to the spell versions 80s, and it's a slightly weaker effect. Still!)

Still having trouble even then? Eat a relevant pickled liver, or boiled crab, or cast the relevant greater barrier (these are all mutually exclusive, mind). Grab a medium shield with high resists and slap barricade on it.

This will stratospherally spike your effective hp and let you make so many more mistakes. It is hilarious just how much stuff will go dwoink off you with such a setup.

If you wanna know what buffs stack with what, Fextra has a useful resource here. https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Buffs+and+Debuffs

You can have one of each category, except for Unique buffs - these all stack.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Now that I can use it I love the idea of Flame of the Fell God, but for how much it costs and how much Faith it requires, it feels like it needs to last at least three seconds longer/track a lot better to make it useable

I've started using it regularly, and I like it for dealing with unaware groups of mobs that I think are a pain in the ass, and as an appetizer during boss fights.

I'll summon my spirits, cast the orb, and then fight. The orb usually collides with the boss because by the time I've done all of that the boss has closed in on me.

In other news I've really been enjoying my flame-enchanted Hookclaws with the Flaming Strike ash. I've done the Sorcerer thing and the Unga Bunga thing back when the game came out, so it's been a lot of fun to just be really fucking aggressive and burn HP bars down. I also keep a pair of Raptor Claws handy and upgraded with Sacred Order on them in case I'm dealing with the undead or something particularly fire-resistant (if I have foresight I just switch Ashes, of course, but sometimes I don't!).

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Died against the last boss a whole bunch of times, realized I was getting stuck in a cranky spiral, turned the game off to go do something fun instead. I wish I'd learned this skill like 4 Dark Souls games ago, it's improved my life a whole lot.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Died a bunch to Misbegotten Beast and Crucible Knight with my Uchigatana, finally gave up for a while to ho do other things.

Came back with Moonveil and shredded them both

Definitely my new favorite early-to-midgame weapon

Of course, it helped having a spirit ash that could survive at least half the fight to draw aggro. Been rolling with the Kaiden Warrior for a while, he lasts longer than the “top-tier” guys (not counting Tiche or Mimic which I don’t have yet because I’ve been holding off on Ranni’s quest to avoid triggering the festival)

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 9
    After an entire main game of dex (dual rapiers - poison antspur and frozen needle, or dual spears - ice partisan and keen cross naganta)

I have reached the shadowlands and gone full unga bunga.

Dual colossals. Rotten staff and rotten axe. Jump attack talisman. Raven armor.

SMASH

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 9
    guys, what multiplayer codes do you use? I put "poop" in, because I figure that's an easy get

edit: this just in, Crucible Knights are still horseapples

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited July 9
    dumb lore question
    so, SotE confirms that St. Trina and Miquella are a Radagon/Marika situation, or something like a Radagon/Marika situation; obviously they don't literally share a body but that seems like it's because Miquella "cast her off"

Do the other demi-gods have alternate selves? or at least the other Empyreans?

The obvious one to come to mind is Millicent, but that seems like a slightly different situation, since she was directly born out of the scarlet rot alongside a bunch of other "buds." but i mean, it's not not similar to Radagon and Trina

There's also Renna, the name Ranni originally introduces herself as, and afaik the only other place that name shows up is Renna's Rise? You could reasonably guess that the crone that taught Ranni magic, who the Ranni doll is modeled after (mentioned in her armor set description), was Renna, but I don't think she comes up anywhere else. Could fairly guess that Renna is Ranni's other self.

i guess the only empyrean that leaves unaccounted is "the gloam-eyed queen" who doesn't even have a proper name. She's barely in the game so it wouldn't be that weird if her other self was missing

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 10
    guys how tf do I get to the below parts of Godfrey's castle? I have scoured this place
    the part with the giant smooshy face and all

edit: like, I've done it, I know of it, I just have a blank spot in my memory

Depressperado on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    guys how tf do I get to the below parts of Godfrey's castle? I have scoured this place

In the long room with the jars, you need to parkour around the ledge of the wall to get to a high spot with another fire bird and knight. Then from there you make your way around and down and can open the door to the grace at the elevator. And then from there you do a bunch of falling.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Two ways
    Start from Secluded Cell, the grace right before Godrick. Head right across to that room with the pots. There's some narrow ledges up on some of the walls you can platform up and around, and that's the start of the main path over to there.

Other way to do it is go to liftside chamber, head out towards the courtyard but immediately hang a right towards the drop off. Just jumping all the way down will kill you, but if you look closely at the wall below you you can see some wooden beams sticking out. If you can land on those to make you way down, you can survive those falls. Obviously this is the riskier way to do it, but it's much more direct.

• Options
    There are 2 ways. Start at the Liftside site of grace.
    From here you can go out the door, turn right, and drop down off the ledge and keep dropping down until you reach the bottom. However this won’t get you to the upper part of that section.

The other way is to go up the lift, and work your way around the open area with the crumbled stonework until you’re above where you entered from the lift. You then go through a little room with some of the moaning guys and end up outside, there will be a note from Rogier. Drop down where you can without dying, then go through the archway. This puts you directly behind the site of grace where you started. Before dropping any further, open the door to your left which is the way back to the site of grace.

Then you can drop down to the bottom and do whatever

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    dumb lore question
    so, SotE confirms that St. Trina and Miquella are a Radagon/Marika situation, or something like a Radagon/Marika situation; obviously they don't literally share a body but that seems like it's because Miquella "cast her off"

Do the other demi-gods have alternate selves? or at least the other Empyreans?

The obvious one to come to mind is Millicent, but that seems like a slightly different situation, since she was directly born out of the scarlet rot alongside a bunch of other "buds." but i mean, it's not not similar to Radagon and Trina

There's also Renna, the name Ranni originally introduces herself as, and afaik the only other place that name shows up is Renna's Rise? You could reasonably guess that the crone that taught Ranni magic, who the Ranni doll is modeled after (mentioned in her armor set description), was Renna, but I don't think she comes up anywhere else. Could fairly guess that Renna is Ranni's other self.

i guess the only empyrean that leaves unaccounted is "the gloam-eyed queen" who doesn't even have a proper name. She's barely in the game so it wouldn't be that weird if her other self was missing
    With the reveal that the physical form of St. Trina is made out of Miquella's discarded Doubts and Love, I think this dialogue from Millicent becomes more meaningful.
    There is something I must return to Malenia.
    The will that was once her own.
    The dignity,
    the sense of self,
    that allowed her to resist the call of the scarlet rot.

The pride she abandoned,
    to meet Radahn's measure.

Millicent might actually be the literal embodiment of Malenia's discarded Pride/Dignity.

• Options
    EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    dumb lore question
    There are theories that Ranni and Melina are connected like this. Mostly because they are both bodiless weirdos and their closed eyes look the same.

Also there is a theory that Melina is the gloam-eyed queen. mostly because of the Lord of Frenzied Flame ending, where her eye is open and its kinda spooky looking

• Options
    guys, what multiplayer codes do you use? I put "poop" in, because I figure that's an easy get

edit: this just in, Crucible Knights are still horseapples

I use strydmn, SEEKERS, BERSERK, and FEXTRA - gives a good spread of active groups