As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One [Elden] Ring to Rule Them All

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Elden Ring being called too hard is...interesting to me.

In fact I would say it's maybe the easiest game From Soft has put out yet

I think it's the hardest From game... IF you have been weaned on From games and developed a certain kind of playstyle.

If you go hard into the 'hit like a truck and never receive incoming damage' mindset, which is pretty common in the Soulsborne fandom, this game can really mess you up. There is just a lot of incoming damage which is not necessarily avoidable.

Leads to people not leveling VIT at all in favor of damage stats, and leads to them having a bad time. Yes, yes, I know the VIT scales exponentially, but you'd never know that if you were going into this determined to up your damage at the expense of everything else, right? Because you'd never level the VIT enough to see how much more health you get per level vs. damage stats.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

I think it's the hardest From game... IF you have been weaned on From games and developed a certain kind of playstyle.

If you go hard into the 'hit like a truck and never receive incoming damage' mindset, which is pretty common in the Soulsborne fandom, this game can really mess you up. There is just a lot of incoming damage which is not necessarily avoidable.

Leads to people not leveling VIT at all in favor of damage stats, and leads to them having a bad time. Yes, yes, I know the VIT scales exponentially, but you'd never know that if you were going into this determined to up your damage at the expense of everything else, right? Because you'd never level the VIT enough to see how much more health you get per level vs. damage stats.

I agree with this, yeah. Like I quickly realized that FromSoft basically said "oh if you like our previous games and played a certain way then lmao you're about to get fucked" and changed tactics.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Honestly the difficulty is just due to the amount of damage shit does

Like the fights would be reasonable if 2 hits want death. There is barely a point to bringing health potions

Turns 2 hits into 12.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular

after wiping to malenia for about 4 hours now i think i would prefer to read git gud trolling than "ez game just summon mimic" at this point

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Your build determines difficulty, in ER more than any other Souls before it. It's not really a controversial thing to say that if you use mainly magic yeah the game will definitely be easier than if you're trying to melee only.

I actually think melee has been way easier than spellcasters, actually!

Mostly because the game keeps wanting to put me in telephone booths with giant monsters.

Didgeridoo wrote: »

Yeah, I will say in Dunkey’s video I looked at his armor and looked at his HP bar and was instantly like “yeah you are going to get one or two shot my dude what are you doing?”

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    223uyzhvt6p81.jpg

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Because you don't get bottlenecked into a boss you can't beat because your weapon isn't ideal or whatever. You can just go somewhere else for consumables / gear / levels.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    it bugs me way more than it should that Malenia has the wrong type of sword there...

i am getting ready to wrap up my second playthrough and i can tell that i am going to sink so very many more hours into this game

its so good

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Your build determines difficulty, in ER more than any other Souls before it. It's not really a controversial thing to say that if you use mainly magic yeah the game will definitely be easier than if you're trying to melee only.

Mostly because the game keeps wanting to put me in telephone booths with giant monsters.

Being in a telephone booth is not ideal for melee either! We need space to dodge or we get crunched same as casters.

Being in a telephone booth is not ideal for melee either! We need space to dodge or we get crunched same as casters.

*laughs in 100 poise unga bunga*

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    In a sort of "only Nixon could go to China" kind of moment, a relatively popular youtuber makes a controversial claim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1H4o4FW-wA

game too hard

I think he is right that the game has terrible balance. I would not say it’s just too hard though. I would say sometimes it is too easy. It rarely hits a good difficulty sweet spot.

I think if you want the most obvious example of it's balance being off - It's possible, with a bit of running around and clever jumping to get a +10 special weapon very, very early. The only hard bit is probably the +10 part, and even then...

Comparatively, it's nowhere near possible to get a normal weapon up that high, to say nothing of the sheer amount required - you need 97 smithing stones in various qualities, as opposed to just... 10.

Special ashes vs normal ashes show the exact same problem. Then you start sticking in that a lot of enemies are literalyl the same, just.. with bigger stats (Note: I'm really not bothered by say, the different variants of knights who are still visually distinct. It's stuff like "These Vulgar Militarmen and T-Rex dogs are way more hardcore than these ones".

Heck, we've talked a bunch about players getting flattened because they have crap all hp, and i honestly would call that a balance issue - enemy damage scaling is insane, and i'm not too hot on the fact that it starts to feel like 40-60 points in vit is pretty vital! (I think there's a bigger argument you can make here that by having enemy damage tuned so high in general, you actually disort the balance and really hurt having differences between a tanky build that trades hits and a glass cannon).

But also, teh scale of the game does make these inevitable, and while i'm in camp "the game is too big" (and it really suffers for it post-capital), a lot of people really enjoy it's scale. So... what's the solution? Is there a solution that's not just make it smaller? @jungleroomx brings up some of the issuses with level scaling.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    In a sort of "only Nixon could go to China" kind of moment, a relatively popular youtuber makes a controversial claim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1H4o4FW-wA

game too hard

I think he is right that the game has terrible balance. I would not say it’s just too hard though. I would say sometimes it is too easy. It rarely hits a good difficulty sweet spot.

Are there any games with this massive size and scope? So many weapons, abilities, builds and then you can tackle most of the game in any order. Balancing must have been a nightmare and some places are flat out easier or harder depending on your play.

For sure! Not saying it’s surprising the game has terrible balance, just that it does. Personally I’d prefer a smaller game with better balance but that’s also why I don’t like open world games so, a bit of stating the obvious from me.

The only game I could see being great for open world is Monster Hunter.

I kind of really want an open world one of those, the mechanics would be perfect for an open world game. Tracking, marking, resource gathering, no real leveling.

At this point, i think World/Rise have hit most of the sweet spots of Open-world games already, honestly. While i can see a full open world game, i think it'd introduce a lot of cruft that wouldnt really do the monster hunter formula any favors. I could be totally proved wrong, and if there's any team i'd trust to make that jump, it's the wizards at Capcom who design Monster Hunter (World remains a master class in taking a niche series, killing off a huge amount of the werid crud that had accumulated and updating it to modern standards and not dropping a single bit of what made monster hunter good - hence why it sold like pancakes and exploded all over the place)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I assume it's different because I'm doing all sorcery stuff but honestly damage hasn't been a huge issue for me.

Like I have 450-500 HP plus I'm using the items that boost stats but increase damage taken but between dodging and having the absorb-a-hit wonderous physick flask I've been doing alright. I have definitely had a lot of humbling moments when like forgetting that a skeleton is around the corner has instantly murdered me though. I feel like part of the reason I've remained focused on relatively high damage is actually just because I find it a lot more straightforward to be able to know that 1-3 hits will take out almost anything I point at with the right spell, and for bosses ... if it's real rough I can always summon pals.

Also I will admit several fights have been made infinitely easier by happening upon a particular summon:
    The Crystalian you can get in Caelid is nearly invulnerable to slash/pierce/magic. So I just pop that guy out, let him draw aggro, and then charge up a ton of glintblades plus an oracular bubble. Then when all that damage goes off I run and dodge until the Crystalian gets them aggroed again. It doesn't always work, but it works amazing against some things that I'd otherwise have to plink/dodge/plink.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I dunno where you are in the game Durandal, but later on you hit things that can easily chunk you for 600+ damage while in pretty heavy armor. The damage gets wacky, and late game often feels like two glass cannons slamming into each other. (not helped by enemies who can just ignore poise when they feel like it, if you're going for a light stab stab stab type that i tend to favor)

One thing to note about Elden Ring aggro is that enemies do not give a shit how much damage an individual has been doing when picking a target, only who was the last person to hit them. This is why even weak ash summons can draw aggro in between you making cuts of rump meat off the boss

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    my solution to scary enemies is jumping attacks in powerstance

liEt3nH.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Two curved greatsword with bleed and jump L1 so far has revolutionized hoe I fight bosses.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    so many people at the start were saying wow strength such a trap stat, moonveil, sword of night and fire, magic, bleed, wow

and i go oop oop me caveman BONK

liEt3nH.png
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    so many people at the start were saying wow strength such a trap stat, moonveil, sword of night and fire, magic, bleed, wow

What if sword… big

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

What if sword… big

What if... TWO sword big

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

That's your solution to everything

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I dunno where you are in the game Durandal, but later on you hit things that can easily chunk you for 600+ damage while in pretty heavy armor. The damage gets wacky, and late game often feels like two glass cannons slamming into each other. (not helped by enemies who can just ignore poise when they feel like it, if you're going for a light stab stab stab type that i tend to favor)

I feel like I'm pretty close to the endgame? I've been making detours to Caelid. Definitely getting 1-2 shotted by most things that can actually hit me. I don't entirely recommend it, but I think on balance the difficulty still works out alright because once I know where everything is I just need to point at them before they notice me, and in the horrible phone-box boss fights I either have my distraction at hand or I've managed by running and dodging constantly while abusing the fact that glintblades don't seem to entirely trigger bosses the same way direct attacks do so they give me a good amount of breathing room.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

after wiping to malenia for about 4 hours now i think i would prefer to read git gud trolling than "ez game just summon mimic" at this point

I should say I haven't finished the game yet, but when I say it's easier I don't mean in a "you'll never hit your head against a wall" sense cause I've had my share of that.

More in the sense that I think the open world aspect really makes it easier because instead of hitting your head against the wall you can easily just walk away and go do other things for a bit, level up more, and come back. Harder to do that in past games.

Oh absolutely. Twin katanas in my case, I've been using curved greatsword and they work a treat so trying something new.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Oh noooooo I keep dodging backwards instead of to the side against Malenia. Also, I keep swinging my sword(s) and giving her a breeze as I am consistently inches out of range.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited March 2022
    I'm very disappointed this ice lightning katana does neither ice nor lightning damage of any kind

Edit: Oh it's on the weapon art. Also no bleed buildup inherent? Eesh, think I should keep looking for a different one to pair with Keen Uchi

Madican on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    My timer is at 195 hours and I have finally -- finally -- beaten the game

It'll be a miracle if anything else is my GOTY this year, and further miraculous if I don't end up playing this game like two more times before the year is over

What an absolute triumph

...the endings though. Happy with mine, not so happy with the others
    I picked the Ranni one, and now I'm very glad I did, because it and the Frenzied Flame ending are the only ones that feel, uh, finished?

I know that short, abrupt endings are sort of the Souls tradition at this point, but at least in the other games (save for maybe vanilla Dark Souls 2) each ending felt... full? Like in DS3 each ending feels very different than every other one, even if some are more complicated to get or weirder, lore-wise. Even the short abrupt ones had different dialogue and different animations, different camerawork and stuff. And then Sekiro's endings are all quite different and each one feels like a satisfying conclusion to those characters and their stories!

Here... man I dunno. Ranni's is very different (not sure about the translation discourse, it IS extremely vague and open to interpretation but I'd love to hear what the more direct translation of the Japanese sounds like) and the Frenzied Flame changes up an earlier cutscene as well as gives you a very spooky epilogue. But all the others? Just the same narration with one line difference, a different colored sky, and the same shot of you on the throne! C'mon guys! I guess if there's one area they could afford to skimp resources on, it's the ending cutscene, because everything else obviously was more important, but still

I think I'd be less disappointed if a) getting each ending didn't involve a ton of time and effort on the part of the player, and as the culmination of their playthrough they deserve something that reflects that effort, and b) if each and every ending didn't have absolutely fuck-off huge implications. Each questline, heck the description of each weird ending-rune you get, is so fucking nuts that it felt like each one would be such a massive change to the entire world that I was genuinely curious what each ending would look like! And then to go on youtube and find out it's a Mass Effect 3 situation? A straight-up color swap? What a huge bummer. The Dung Eater's one wasn't even a tenth as horrific as the Frenzied Flame one, and that one felt like the most fucked up of all! And the Destined Death one? What the heck does that actually mean?? Does it straight up grant immortality or undeath to everyone in existence?? I have so many questions and not even the hint of answers because each ending is the most basic shit imaginable

I dunno man! A bit of a bummer, but I'm really looking forward to all the story and lore videos I'll get to watch over the coming weeks

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    what are the rules that determine when summons like the wolves/skeletons are available? some areas seem to let you do it as long as you have FP, but then in other areas it just seems locked out? do you have to level the summons up to get them in more places?

Brolo on
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Brolo wrote: »
    what are the rules that determine when summons like the wolves/skeletons are available? some areas seem to let you do it as long as you have FP, but then in other areas it just seems locked out? do you have to level the summons up to get them in more places?

There needs to be a little obelisk nearby, so they are only summonable in designated areas, yeah

Narbus on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    so going full summoner isn't really a thing, right? You'd be helpless outside of certain zones?

Yeah there are a bunch of places where you are locked out from spirit ashes

Evergaols in particular which seems like an odd thing to lock you out of especially in the early game where you could really use the help

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    so going full summoner isn't really a thing, right? You'd be helpless outside of certain zones?

Yeah the spirit summons are just another tool in the toolbox; not something you can build around.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

There are spells that play with the idea of "summoning" little spirits or whatever to damage enemies, so you could do a "necromancer" if you want that theme. It might not be up and running for a while though.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    There is a symbol on the left side of the screen in places where spirit ashes can be used.

liEt3nH.png
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

I pretty much made a light stab stab, magic combo. It turns out that pretty much feels like the worst possible build for all boss fights at my current level. I feel like you need to be all in on a focused build. Being well rounded is murder.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    In general, you can ash summon in any boss arena outside of Evergaol's (which are intentionally solo fights against, generally, copies of bosses/elites you can find elsewhere), and can also ash summon in certain wide open dungeons or "big fight" areas, like the courtyard in Stormveil. It's not super consistent but I got pretty good at determining when I was gonna be able to ash summon before the icon actually appeared.

I ate an engineer
    Hawkstone wrote: »

I pretty much made a light stab stab, magic combo. It turns out that pretty much feels like the worst possible build for all boss fights at my current level. I feel like you need to be all in on a focused build. Being well rounded is murder.

I've had some success with spellblade stuff, but honestly, the very clunky nature of the interface really fights you. You're heavily incentivized in this game to go all in on a weapon (both due to silly upgrade scarity yet not, but mainly weapon arts), and trying to juggle between things is just awkard as hell.

The best success with a spellblade i've had is going Int and then having Moonveil + Renala's staff. Moonveil is just so strong as to be a good murder option 90% of the time, Renala's staff is excellent and also has an excellent Weapon art, so you can comfortably go No Skill shield and then flip between whichever one you want, while packing +Sorcery damage talismans, +cast speed and +stamina regen.

I've been trying to make arcane stuff work, and while there's some good stuff in there, it just feels a lot more awkard with cast time and fighting what to switch to and when. A lot of the time it ends up being "I could cast this dragon spell, or i could hit the rivers of blood weapon art". Outside of like, throwing a few rocks/lighting spears, or trying to juggle buff timers (Which ehhhh), the payoff is not there. Maybe it's better for Str/Faith shennagins, but i'm unsure. (The other awkard thing is like you see the Dragon seal/Clawmark seal and you're like cool, i can go hard on investing in STR or ARC for my spell scaling. Annnnd then you realize you need faith anyway for a chunk of things, ontop of the game's demands on Vit/End/Mind, so... you'd probably be better off hitting hte bare minium of str for whatever weapon, making sure it has faith scaling, and going hard on that.

Thinking about it.. I wonder how hard it would be for there to be an ash of war that made it so you cast your equipped spells? You'd need it to add incant/sorcery scaling to the weapon, but that should be doable I'm sure.

Something like that existing would make dedicated spell blade builds a lot better

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

That's your solution to everything

CLANG

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List