As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One [Elden] Ring to Rule Them All

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    I do not understand how people are so high on the mimic. The AI is dumber than shit

It got nerfed twice from it's peak, where it was basically akin to summoning somebody using all your attacks and spells for zero FP, and had 5x the HP

Also the timing was incredible, so it was better than some of the players and it used HP so non magical characters were able to use it easier.

Now Black Knife Tiche is the hotness.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Black Knife Tiche was always my favorite

I used the mimic for one specific fight but Tiche's damage over time attack is insanely good and she jumps around enough that she dodges most enemy attacks just incidentally

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I used the mimic for one specific fight but Tiche's damage over time attack is insanely good and she jumps around enough that she dodges most enemy attacks just incidentally

Gotta best maybe the hardest 1v1 fight in the entire game to get her, though

Alecto does not fucking mess around

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Lhutel is also really good because of her teleport.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Gotta best maybe the hardest 1v1 fight in the entire game to get her, though

Alecto does not fucking mess around

I actually found that fight pretty easy, all told

Hardest solo fight for me was the tree sentinel hanging out outside Maliketh's arena

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It's still really good because depending on your build it's health and normal damage can be just monstrous

You can also put that talisman on it that causes enemies to exclusively attack it.

And you can put complementary weapons on it. Remember: The mimic uses what you have equipped at the moment you summon it.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Mimic was great cause of using health. I started the game with 8 mind and never increased it until I realized I couldn't summon anything else.

My preferred summon is Lhutel because one, she's headless, two her teleport bounces her in and out of AOE, and her attack is ranged so she is good at grabbing aggro from you when you're running for your life.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    Mimic tear opens up a lot of strategic possibilities. It can infinitely spam powerful spells just to start.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I used mimic largely because it was the tankiest summon I had most of the time, more than anything. It certianly was never a killing machine, but since it used invader AI it had the amazing power of actually dodging every now and then, which meant it lasted easily four times as long as my other summons when fighting bosses.

Though for most of the game I did have to have Radagon's seal equipped in order to have enough HP to summon it.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’ll probably forego the mimic tear for my second run - I’m doing a daggers build and committing to no casting

Wolves are still good, but have Lhutel and Engvall too

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Tiche and Mimic are still my only +10s

EDIT: I have been trying out a somewhat spoiler-y summon lately though
    Dung Eater Puppet

Maddoc on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    How is that going

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I finally finished Renna's quest line and got the Dark Moon Greatsword. It's pretty neat

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Platy wrote: »
    How is that going

Great - godrick went down after 3 tries, renalla took a few more than that, castle Mourne boss went down after first try and

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Hachface wrote: »
    Mimic tear opens up a lot of strategic possibilities. It can infinitely spam powerful spells just to start.

Mine really likes lining up Loretta's Greatbow at point blank range and getting smacked in the face before release. Sometimes it works ok but the casting AI at least has been a crapshoot for me. I think I like the little greatshield guys though. The give me a lot of breathing room for my own spells and they absolutely lock down rapid attack enemies like the abductor.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hmm

I think the Castle Morne quest broke for me. Irina's father was never where he's supposed to be in the castle, before or after killing the boss
    when I went back to Irina she was dead

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hmm

I think the Castle Morne quest broke for me. Irina's father was never where he's supposed to be in the castle, before or after killing the boss
    when I went back to Irina she was dead

Same thing happened to me.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    tiche also feels very narratively satisfying to invoke

finish the fight

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I suspect mimic tear might be better for folks using magic, based on what I've heard

As a firmly anti-wizardry sort, it was just running at enemies without the precision required to do daggers effectively most of the time

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What's your problem with wizards

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    mimic tear is also good on bleed builds since it builds up status for you

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Playing a mage (who doesn’t just use the kamehameha) is way more fun than other builds and you’re a dung eater if you hate on it.

It’s double fun once you get a bloodhound step weapon.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I suspect mimic tear might be better for folks using magic, based on what I've heard

As a firmly anti-wizardry sort, it was just running at enemies without the precision required to do daggers effectively most of the time

I wasn't impressed by it as a mage. I like to have half a dozen spells memorized for various situations and the mimic is terrible at using them properly. In particular, it likes to use comet azur for a couple seconds, which really isn't worth the cast time.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mimic tear slapped with a dual hammer build, dumped so much stagger into bosses for me.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    It was surprisingly good with a melee build, Uchigatana 2H. It's got a lot more HP and poise than the player, so it can continue to do damage even when drawing aggro from bosses

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options

No morals, the lot of 'em

• Options

I wasn't impressed by it as a mage. I like to have half a dozen spells memorized for various situations and the mimic is terrible at using them properly. In particular, it likes to use comet azur for a couple seconds, which really isn't worth the cast time.

Yeah I've managed to occaisonally improve their performance by dumping some spells but that sucks if you end up near a boss that is by a stake and not a grace site like the Astel fight.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    No sense of right and wrong

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

They've had it too good for too long

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    6TrLctU.png

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I'm still a little disappointed that the Erdtree wasn't a final legacy dungeon

Hachface on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Hachface wrote: »
    I'm still a little disappointed that the Erdtree wasn't a final legacy dungeon

I thought it was perfectly fine the way it is.

There is more than enough legacy dungeons leading up to it, especially since you already had Leyendell as a legacy dungeon, and then Crumbling Farum Azula, and potentially the Haligtree as well. And since there's 3 (!) bosses waiting for you at the Erdtree, I wouldn't want to also slog through a dungeon in between those. The ending was long enough for such a massive game, but I already felt a bit exhausted when there was ANOTHER boss after Radagon.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    I think something to break up the three bosses in a row would have been nice

I don't know if that's a full dungeon necessarily, but it's a weird ending

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Having a legacy dungeon with mobs inside the thing that has historically barred everyone since the Shattering would have felt even weirder.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    The first 3/4 of this game is pretty much masterpiece status.

The last 1/4 is a shitty, annoying, and overtuned slog. Past the fire giant, none of this juice is worth the squeeze.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I loved farum azula and you can do the haligtree post giant which is also incredible.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I loved farum azula and you can do the haligtree post giant which is also incredible.

Yeah the Haligtree was pretty cool but there's no way I'm beating Malenia. Journey there was fun.

CFA is where I'm getting fed up with things. Did I miss something lore-wise as to why I'm here?
    I set the papa tree on fire which was cool, but suddenly I'm in floaty tornado land fighting dogboys and more godskins (why are they here?) and that absolute fuckbag draconic tree sentinel who I just run by when I feel like dying to black blade dog guy.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    The boss of the zone has something that you need to enter the tree

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Yeah Farum Azula is definitely the weakest point in the game's narrative.
    "Burn the tree to get past the thorns" is pretty straightforward but it's never made clear why you're sidetracking to steal Destined Death nor how burning the Erdtree teleports you there.

• Options
    I don’t know why you zoop there but you have to get it or the tree won’t burn all the way, it’s just eternally burning otherwise.