As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One [Elden] Ring to Rule Them All

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I know that the theoretical "max" level is fairly high but are there "suggested" level ranges for each area?

I'm playing the game fairly blind and this is my first major foray into FS/Souls games.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Aphostile wrote: »
    I know that the theoretical "max" level is fairly high but are there "suggested" level ranges for each area?

I'm playing the game fairly blind and this is my first major foray into FS/Souls games.

1. Go into a new area.
    2. Did you get wrecked?
    Y: You're good!
    N: Maybe try somewhere else, or I dunno, power through it son.

Honestly, levels aren't super important in these games, more than if you got the stats to equip whatever it is you wanna. That's why people can do level 1 runs and such.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm did some stuff for a certain long questline and now I am trying to fight
    A giant space moth/scorpion who shoots lasers and has a 1 hit kill attack

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Personally I find suggested level ranges still helpful because like, it's hard for me to tell if I'm getting wrecked in a new area because I'm being reckless or because I'm bad at fighting specific enemies or because I shouldn't actually be there

I think there is definitely some significant play with what the ranges could be, and you can absolutely go places that are over/under for you, but it's nice to know the reason something is happening, essentially

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

I think you’re more likely to see a suggested zone path than suggested levels. From what I’ve done so far I’d say limgrave -> mistwood -> weeping peninsula -> stormveil -> Liurna. The progression seems pretty natural if you fully explore in that order. Caelid feels far more difficult than Liurna so far.

Also if anything feels like you’re beating your head against a wall leave immediately and do anything else. Don’t be like me and keep throwing yourself at the crucible knight evergaol and the bell bearing hunter while a little too squishy. From occasionally throws a big challenge in early for people who like that kind of thing.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2022

Here are suggested levels and order for areas based on level of character and equipment. Spoiled for spoiler and size.
    bc11gcie9tqw.jpeg

zepherin on
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Personally I find suggested level ranges still helpful because like, it's hard for me to tell if I'm getting wrecked in a new area because I'm being reckless or because I'm bad at fighting specific enemies or because I shouldn't actually be there

I think there is definitely some significant play with what the ranges could be, and you can absolutely go places that are over/under for you, but it's nice to know the reason something is happening, essentially

Yeah, this gets to the root of the problem/my question. I've killed some bosses that ostensibly I've read are difficult, than I've gotten my face smashed by others that I haven't even heard people mention (or not even bosses but just a mundane wandering giant lobster).

I also just don't really know if I should even be going into areas right now or if I should be progressing story. I met Sorcereress Sellen but clearly can't progress her story right now, same for the wolf guy Blaidd? I know that the MAJOR storyline is driving me towards Liurna and the academy, but I just took the (LONGEST EVER) elevator into Siofra River and so now there's a bunch of things to kill down here.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

I think you’re more likely to see a suggested zone path than suggested levels. From what I’ve done so far I’d say limgrave -> mistwood -> weeping peninsula -> stormveil -> Liurna. The progression seems pretty natural if you fully explore in that order. Caelid feels far more difficult than Liurna so far.

Also if anything feels like you’re beating your head against a wall leave immediately and do anything else. Don’t be like me and keep throwing yourself at the crucible knight evergaol and the bell bearing hunter while a little too squishy. From occasionally throws a big challenge in early for people who like that kind of thing.

Oh lol I'm like grinding in Caelid because Stormveil Castle was so brutal. Although I'm almost certainly ready to go back now that I'm rocking the golden halberd.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I don't think weapons can have multiple statuses on them as a baseline. the only way to get multiple statuses is with a change of ash.

It doesn't have any baseline status is the thing. The ice lightning is all in the weapon art, the weapon itself is pain old damage.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Try not to worry about NPC storylines too much, you are basically guaranteed to miss steps on many of them. Like early Blaidd quest steps:
    after actually talking to him and hearing about the guy he's looking for, I only realized I already knew where that guy was on a new character a week later, it's the bloodhound knight in the evergaol in southern Limgrave. A summon sign for Blaidd shows up inside the gaol dimension after he asks you for help and he makes the fight pretty easy, then he chats with you outside by the entrance. I don't know what comes next in his story after that yet, nor do I know what to do with Sellen yet.
    My thoughts on appropriate times for Siofra:
    when I first found it it was too hard, it felt more doable by the time I was cruising around Liurna and working on the Academy of Raya Lucaria or areas after that, so I went back and cleared it out then. There's nothing time-sensitive to do in Siofra that I saw.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Stormveil is incredibly brutal, yeah. There's simply no respite for large swathes of it - I know I regularly ran out of healing flasks there and would have to either try and push past enemies in hopes of finding grace or simply die and hope to do better the next time.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Stormveil is incredibly brutal, yeah. There's simply no respite for large swathes of it - I know I regularly ran out of healing flasks there and would have to either try and push past enemies in hopes of finding grace or simply die and hope to do better the next time.

And it’s long.

I took about 5 hours in stormveil and I missed stuff.

I speed ran the next Legacy dungeon in about 30 minutes, and most of that was getting crushed by the boss.
    I missed a bunch of a stuff there too, but I made sure there wasn’t anything I needed before I blitzed it

zepherin on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Here are suggested levels and order for areas based on level of character and equipment. Spoiled for spoiler and size.
    bc11gcie9tqw.jpeg

Having southern Caelid be 60+ and the Snowfield being 80+ is a bit weird

I guess they didn't go higher than 80

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    today in Z's Embarrassing Elden Ring Adventures:

#236: Opening a stonesward key cave and completing it, but later realize -- dozens of hours later -- that you in fact had left it completely unexplored only after watching someone play the same cave in a stream. 😏

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

bc11gcie9tqw.jpeg

Dragonbarrow being listed as the same level range as South Caelid is bonkers.

• Options
    Try not to worry about NPC storylines too much, you are basically guaranteed to miss steps on many of them. Like early Blaidd quest steps:
    after actually talking to him and hearing about the guy he's looking for, I only realized I already knew where that guy was on a new character a week later, it's the bloodhound knight in the evergaol in southern Limgrave. A summon sign for Blaidd shows up inside the gaol dimension after he asks you for help and he makes the fight pretty easy, then he chats with you outside by the entrance. I don't know what comes next in his story after that yet, nor do I know what to do with Sellen yet.
    My thoughts on appropriate times for Siofra:
    when I first found it it was too hard, it felt more doable by the time I was cruising around Liurna and working on the Academy of Raya Lucaria or areas after that, so I went back and cleared it out then. There's nothing time-sensitive to do in Siofra that I saw.

Ah, with Blaidd
    I actually killed his evergaol guy before I ever met him, so I backtracked to that spot and he was standing outside and just said "thanks". I know that he's relevant later, but didn't know if that was it for that point.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    yeah I am unspoiled about how his storyline proceeds after that point as well, we shall see if I ever stumble upon him again

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    If I end up getting this game that will be 5 From games I have bought and never beaten because I am trash at video games.

I don't want to do this again.

But also I kinda do.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    "look at how much fun everyone else is having talking about it, surely THIS time..." is how I always talk myself into genres I know I don't like playing and then regret it lol

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Even if you experience just the first three zones it is worth the price of admission

• Options
    oh yeah there's no shame in not finishing games as long as you enjoy the time you do spend with them

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I love From Games but they absolutely kick me in the dick thirteen times and I just do not have the requisite l33t gamer skillzzzz nor the time to develop said skillzzzzzz to actually beat them.

Sekiro was so good. Took me six months to beat Genichiro. Got to maybe the big Mönke and just noped out and haven't touched it since.

Why am I like this

• Options
    Well Elden Ring is all about the cheese

And choosing which cheddar to bring

It can be the easiest or the hardest From game depending on what you use

• Options
    I've been hearing that a lot of the balancing is pretty whack right now, even by Fromsoft standards. I may wait a bit and see if things get evened out some.

Maybe.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I've been hearing that a lot of the balancing is pretty whack right now, even by Fromsoft standards. I may wait a bit and see if things get evened out some.

Maybe.

It's really not that bad. The biggest balance issue is really just "it's easy to accidentally get into an area you're not ready for yet (but just as easy to get back out), and it's easy to overlevel yourself for some areas if you spend too much time in other areas"

Other than a few bosses that can definitely be a pain but are either a) totally optional, or b) can be put on the back burner while you go level up somewhere else for a while

• Options
    It's probably intended that you can push through the game with cheese and raw numbers and multiplayer

• Options
    Well I am a cheesey boy, this is true...

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    It took me like 35 hours to beat Margit cause I got stomped and decided to do something else while I level and

I just kept finding things to do

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Margit is a real kick in the balls, I suspect the game funneling you towards fighting him first is intentionally malicious as a "don't necessarily do what the game is signposting you to, fuck off and do open world shit, skip stormveil castle and do the zones out of order if you like, that's the kind of game this is" thing
    He is harder than the zone behind him, and harder than the boss at the end of that zone; I was level 40 or 50 and had done all of east and west Limgrave, the storm cliffs and the weeping peninsula before I went back and fought him again and it was still a hard fight.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    margit has a job to do and he does it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    "Beats me why other dudes suck. Sure as hell ain't my scene." -margit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Well I am a cheesey boy, this is true...

just to add to this, I've always avoided Fromsoft games because they also kick me in the dick due to my lack of 1337 skillz, and this time around the game gives you no shortage of tools to cheese the absolute fuck out of it if that's what you so desire

between the ease of leveling up in the open world and the many ways to get overpowered weapons/ashes, there are very few times where you don't have the option of just saying fuck it and cheese-stomping the shit out of the game if that's what you so choose

if anything, as time goes on the devs will keep on reducing the number of ways this is possible (see the nerfs to hoarfrost stomp and mimic tear) while they probably won't make enemies easier outside of very specific encounters

if you're still not sure and decide to hold off that's totally cool, but as one pathetic Fromsoft coward to another, this game had me hooked like none of the others ever have and I never really felt like I was stuck in a spot I couldn't weasel out of through either cheese or grinding if I really had to. and the world setting/exploration is awesome enough that I didn't feel like I was "cheating" myself out of anything by making tough fights easier instead of "getting good"

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    What are people using for group tags here?

I've got WANG and wang, but anyone using other stuff

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Wang, WANG, wang just to make sure. SEEKERS for Vaati's group. That one will pretty much give you a bonus 5% or so runes as whenever group people become lord or beat a shardbearer a buff goes out and it is happening quite frequently at least on PC.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Awesome thank you.

Anyone else just having constant connection errors on using your summon pool?

It's fine if I'm summoned via the summon sign but if I use the pool it's failed connection constantly

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I haven't noticed more disconnections with one form of summoning or the other

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I just use WANG because it is keeping with the style set forth by most other groups, I can't be assed to have three different versions of the same password in my list

Anyway SEEKERS is by far the most active one on my list and the one what gets me most of my buffs

• Options
    Hey uhh when should I be going to the Lake of Rot?

It's not now, is it?

• Options
    ima keep it real with you straightzi there's no point where you're gonna be like "i'm having a real great time here in the lake of rot" so

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    sometimes, you just need to take a bath

that's when you go to the lake of rot

wait no. after that

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List