As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One [Elden] Ring to Rule Them All

14849515354

Posts

  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular


    it's done
    it's over

    mrpaku3cl1ps3BahamutZEROMegaMan001NaphtaliOlivawCarpydarunia106jkylefultonAlistair HuttonDanHibikidurandal4532NicklejungleroomxElvenshaeAtaxrxes
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Note that you can pull that Ash of War off of the rapier and attach it to any other thrusting weapon, if rapiers aren't your jam

    I think almost any weapon can use it actually? Maybe. Definitely straight swords at least.

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, give Malenia zero respect and get up in her face and she just crumples.

    Give her space and she goes ham.

    Maybe that’s why her blade has no guard? Her sword design is super weird in general, tbh.

    I think her blade has no guard because it was designed to be built into her prosthetic

    You don't need a guard to protect your hand as much when your hand is the guard, y'know?

    The sword nerd in me wants to argue about all the things a guard does other than protect your hand but, this is a game where you can shoot literally laser beams out of your hand so it would be a weird hill for me to die on.

    Ultimately I just think the way her sword looks, the way she holds it, and the way she swings it looks clumsy and awkward and not cool and rad.

    Inquisitor on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, give Malenia zero respect and get up in her face and she just crumples.

    Give her space and she goes ham.

    Maybe that’s why her blade has no guard? Her sword design is super weird in general, tbh.

    I think her blade has no guard because it was designed to be built into her prosthetic

    You don't need a guard to protect your hand as much when your hand is the guard, y'know?

    The sword nerd in me wants to argue about all the things a guard does other than protect your hand but, this is a game where you can shoot literally laser beams out of your hand so it would be a weird hill for me to die on.

    Ultimately I just think the way her sword looks, the way she holds it, and the way she swings it looks clumsy and awkward and not cool and rad.
    it's a katana, it's not gonna have a honking big guard anyway

  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    she turns into a nude lady with plague pasties and wings made of butterflies I wouldn't overthink it

    Munkus Beaver
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    you can tell which pornographers are fucking cowards because they don't give her the plague

    liEt3nH.png
    Midnite3cl1ps3mrpakuMegaMan001AvalonGuardOlivawdarunia106Azraith
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Not loving the stuff after Leyendell. Very annoying enemies around every corner. This death bird surrounded by ethereal skeletons can suck my dick

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, give Malenia zero respect and get up in her face and she just crumples.

    Give her space and she goes ham.

    Maybe that’s why her blade has no guard? Her sword design is super weird in general, tbh.

    I think her blade has no guard because it was designed to be built into her prosthetic

    You don't need a guard to protect your hand as much when your hand is the guard, y'know?

    The sword nerd in me wants to argue about all the things a guard does other than protect your hand but, this is a game where you can shoot literally laser beams out of your hand so it would be a weird hill for me to die on.

    Ultimately I just think the way her sword looks, the way she holds it, and the way she swings it looks clumsy and awkward and not cool and rad.
    it's a katana, it's not gonna have a honking big guard anyway

    Even a tsuba provides something.

    But yeah the minimal guard on katanas is a big thing that points to them being backup weapons and EDC weapons.

    But for Malenia it’s more that she is gripping with a hyper cocked wrist position and part way up the blade with her hand, instead of on the grip of her sword (or where the grip would be if her sword actually had one) that makes her combat animations look so clunky and awkward to me.

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    EDC?

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    everyday carry weapons, something you would deploy more for self-defense or in an emergency that is easy to bring around with you, as compared to more involved swords of the era

    liEt3nH.png
    Inquisitor3cl1ps3Midnite
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh right yeah, katanas were ceremonial sidearms just like swords everywhere have always been, the real killing everywhere up until the introduction of effective personal firearms was done by masses of desperate, terrified lower class people with polearms, and maybe some bows or crossbows.

    Now excuse me while I go dance around with my dual wielded guts berserk swords

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Inquisitor3cl1ps3Munkus BeaverOlivawElvenshae
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    unga bunga is slang for just going gorilla mode, returning to monke

    [jargon] is just lang for [more jargon], [euphemism]

    Thanks

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The hostility here is unwarranted, come on.

    Those are super basic internet slang at this point, it's genuinely surprising to me you've never run across them.

    Midnite
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's really not jargon

    That implies something technical, this is just people making goofs

  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm yankin' chain

    liEt3nH.png
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    It basically just means that instead of any thinking or strategy, you just run up and wildy hit them with big beefy attacks.

  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Now, when you say "beefy"

    This post was sponsored by Goop.

    'Get your fucking finger on the wookie'
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    your weapon weighs as much as a cow

    BahamutZERO.gif
    3cl1ps3
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Dude this one time I was stalled against a board of big butts tribal when I ripped some straight gas and went to the dome for lethal on the stack but in response he tutored up some silver bullet hate he sided in and milled me to zero and totally went off like magical Christmasland valuetown.

    Elvenshae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    this isn't the magic the gathering thread!

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Inquisitor3cl1ps3MechMantisAbsurdPropositionElvenshaemilski
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    The hostility here is unwarranted, come on.

    Those are super basic internet slang at this point, it's genuinely surprising to me you've never run across them.

    Fine then I am simply obtuse for genuinely not knowing what the hell monke gorilla mode means.

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Goofing aside it’s going big on strength and big weapons and smacking enemies in the face and not caring if you get smacked back.

    3cl1ps3
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    monkey gorilla mode implying like, the plan being hit them really hard with not much more thought to it

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Inquisitor3cl1ps3Munkus Beaver
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    I've been looking for the dung eater and finally went and just googled it and... I cannot believe this is how people are finding their way in naturally. There has to be some other entrance other than a random well off in a corner, yeah?

  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I've been looking for the dung eater and finally went and just googled it and... I cannot believe this is how people are finding their way in naturally. There has to be some other entrance other than a random well off in a corner, yeah?

    I never did this particular quest line but a lot of things in Souls games are meant to be crowdsourced via forums, wikis, signs, etc

    BahamutZERO3cl1ps3Olivawtwotimesadingo
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    There's a particularly taunting item that's visible but inaccessible from the normal sewers that might lead you to that general area, that's how I found it.

    Carpydarunia106
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Even a tsuba provides something.

    But yeah the minimal guard on katanas is a big thing that points to them being backup weapons and EDC weapons.

    But for Malenia it’s more that she is gripping with a hyper cocked wrist position and part way up the blade with her hand, instead of on the grip of her sword (or where the grip would be if her sword actually had one) that makes her combat animations look so clunky and awkward to me.

    I think the intent with her weird grip is just to highlight how she's incorporating her prosthesis into her style, the wrist can bend at an angle that'd be awkward for a flesh and bone hand, and she can, like, lock the blade into her forearm or keep it lose in her hand depending on the swing.

    I've played enough souls games that I really should know this by now, but is there any real difference between magic infusing a weapon or just applying magic grease to it, or is it more of a case by case basis?

    Halos Nach Tariff on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I've been looking for the dung eater and finally went and just googled it and... I cannot believe this is how people are finding their way in naturally. There has to be some other entrance other than a random well off in a corner, yeah?

    That's the only entrance. Took me a while to find too, but a lot of that was just because I found Leyndell incredibly difficult to navigate.

    Endgame stuff
    It does become a lot more visible later, as one of the only remaining structures in Leyndell, and you could just save that stuff until then I guess

  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I've been looking for the dung eater and finally went and just googled it and... I cannot believe this is how people are finding their way in naturally. There has to be some other entrance other than a random well off in a corner, yeah?

    I never did this particular quest line but a lot of things in Souls games are meant to be crowdsourced via forums, wikis, signs, etc

    It's honestly one of my favorite things about Souls games. I'm sure it's frustrating to people who want to stay pure and not look things up, but the inherently collaborative nature of an otherwise largely single player experience is just so cool to me.

    BahamutZEROInquisitorMidniteOlivawtwotimesadingoElvenshae
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    There's what looks like some pretty simple jumps across some beams in Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel that has killed me half a dozen times

    I have no idea how I'm supposed to make the last couple leaps

  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    bigger jump

    liEt3nH.png
    Elvenshae
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    There's what looks like some pretty simple jumps across some beams in Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel that has killed me half a dozen times

    I have no idea how I'm supposed to make the last couple leaps
    the worst part is that it's like, a somber 2

    fuck yooooou

  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 14
    I also hate obtuse internet jargon and as a resident old of the forum I've had to ask numerous times what things mean.

    For the record, shortening "pretty" as a emphasizing adjective to "p" is like, the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen on the internet while simultaneously understanding that makes me old.

    Anyway, "unga bunga" was a phrase used by a few local forumers as "equip the biggest matching weapons in each hand and jump / charge attack". Same forumers wrote whole treatises in this thread about how Vigor is the most important stat because of the impact on damage reduction.

    I only say this because it's not like it's been pulled out of the ether, it was right here.

    A lot of bosses were clearly not balanced against dual stanced (power stanced) weapons that do high poise damage. Especially because this is a game where you can get like fifteen health flasks if you entirely ignore mind and spells. You just equip the biggest weapons / heaviest armor you've got and fuck up just about every boss in the game.

    Some night call that lame, but we've also got people here who think summoning players or using Ashes is somehow illegitimate.

    EDIT: It's definitely possibly that "pretty" is actually an adverb and not an adjective, but I won't lie - for someone who paid for his entire college education with competitive speech (Forensics) I've never been able to diagram a sentence.

    MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Also the Grand Lift of Dectus was a huge letdown holy shir

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Also the Grand Lift of Dectus was a huge letdown holy shir

    it delivered exactly what it promised: a big lift

    FYYss9j.png
    Depressperado3cl1ps3Midnitedarunia106EvilCakeStraightziAzraithEtiowsa
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Also the Grand Lift of Dectus was a huge letdown holy shir

    no, it goes up the first time.

    MechMantismrpakuMunkus BeaverMr FuzzbuttMaddocEvilCakeBionicPenguinStraightziAzraithfirewaterwordElvenshaeAphostileOlivaw
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I don't get to either of those jokes, but after finishing Caelid I guess it's time I have to finally go to Leyndell.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    they're literally dad jokes don't overthink them

    Elvenshae
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    unga bunga her face off
    Butters wrote: »
    What does this mean? I'm sorry but I get a little annoyed the "just dual kamayamayas in between charging your avacado bong" type nonsense replies like its common parlance.

    Sounds very much like something a Tory MP would briefly be disgraced for saying in a constituency meeting before being reinstated less than a month later as if nothing had happened.

    Anyway, I feel like everyone has been very unfair and mean towards Butters about this and it certainly is making me feel bad about how hilarious I've found the whole exchange.

  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I've been looking for the dung eater and finally went and just googled it and... I cannot believe this is how people are finding their way in naturally. There has to be some other entrance other than a random well off in a corner, yeah?

    I never did this particular quest line but a lot of things in Souls games are meant to be crowdsourced via forums, wikis, signs, etc

    It's honestly one of my favorite things about Souls games. I'm sure it's frustrating to people who want to stay pure and not look things up, but the inherently collaborative nature of an otherwise largely single player experience is just so cool to me.

    It's maybe my least favorite part, but I understand it's From's thing, I have other games that bring the story to the front. But a bit of the magic is lost for me, I played the game, I looked at the wikis to do most side quests, got the "good" ending and everything, but it was basically just a checklist, there was no mystery or sense of discovery left by the time I finished. I have very little idea what actually happened besides what's been discussed here, because I don't have the time or energy to dive into wikis and item descriptions, no matter how intriguing the surface level is.

    Again, I appreciate that it's fun for other folks, but would it kill them to breadcrumb some of the quests, to put some of the story in the actual game? Whatever, giant laser goes brrrrr

    Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
    BionicPenguin
Sign In or Register to comment.