As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Movies]: Violence Edition

12324252628

Posts

  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Fred Ward, who has been in everything, but who most will know from Remo Williams and the Tremors series, passed away.

    Time to watch "Cast a Deadly Spell" again.

    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    GiantGeek2020
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    We watched The Lost City last night and it was pretty good. Just a nice, light adventure movie, Channing Tatum plays the naif perfectly, the dialogue is good and keeps things moving and doesn't make it seem like the movie is just action sequences strung together by setups for action sequences.

    Also, whoever managed to convince Sandra Bullock to wear a sequined onesie in the jungle for months to film it should be sent to negotiate peace treaties.

    nibXTE7.png
    VisskarshrykeCommander ZoomGnome-InterruptusmanwiththemachinegunSatanIsMyMotorCptHamiltonMoridin889MvrckRingo
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Framed #65
    🎥 🟩 ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛

    https://framed.wtf

    One of those movies I liked a lot but only watched once.

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    KetarDizzy Ddurandal4532Munkus BeaverDarkPrimusFencingsax
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    Atomika wrote: »
    Stuhlbarg is fantastic in A Serious Man, one of the Coens’ best
    Agreed, that's my favorite Coen movie and the way he plays his hapless, frustrated, sorta wimpy character is a significant part of why.

    Edit - honestly it's probably my favorite dark comedy

    Kaputa on
    durandal4532Atomika
  • McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    from a discussion in the DCEU thread regarding the fact that The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is only two minutes longer than The Batman.

    I just rewatched the Ecstasy of Gold scene and something is blowing my mind that I never noticed before. Tuco is running and he's hauling ass such that the entire background is a blur while he's perfectly in focus in a side shot. If I saw that in a movie released today, I'd assume it was VFX.

    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
    Commander ZoomElvenshaeFencingsaxPreacherLordSolarMachariusBloodySlothFANTOMASGONG-00
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Violence whenever someone says something we don't like is good.
    RedTide wrote: »
    Framed #65
    🎥 🟩 ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛

    https://framed.wtf

    One of those movies I liked a lot but only watched once.

    Same, got it in one shockingly.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    BlackDragon480DoodmannDizzy DEtiowsaDarkPrimusFencingsax
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
    Got it in one and hadn’t seen it. The angle of the shot gives it away
    McRhyno wrote: »
    from a discussion in the DCEU thread regarding the fact that The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is only two minutes longer than The Batman.

    I just rewatched the Ecstasy of Gold scene and something is blowing my mind that I never noticed before. Tuco is running and he's hauling ass such that the entire background is a blur while he's perfectly in focus in a side shot. If I saw that in a movie released today, I'd assume it was VFX.

    It’s a pretty easy and common shot in older movies. You have a long lens and a tight focus and so as the camera tracks the parallax makes the background blur hugely. So long as your actor runs on the focus line (which might even be drawn on the ground) you keep focus. It makes it easy to create movement and confusion even if the actor isn’t moving a lot. (“Boom bayhem!” is the logical conclusion of this; the camera moves rather than the actor making even static shots feel huge and dynamic)

    It’s been largely replaced by wide shots because there tends to actually be more things happening on screen and directors want to show those things. (But also I think because you have fewer disoriented heroes in forefront cinema and so you have fewer people aping those style choices)

    Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    McRhynoGnome-InterruptusCommander ZoomElvenshaeFencingsaxshryke
  • AtomikaAtomika Socially lubricated for your pleasure Registered User regular
  • McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Yeah, your point of disoriented hero brings up the interesting question about how protagonists are presented. Lots of "the one" in the past 20 years, where the background bends to them

    Still, that first shot of the cemetery and the headstones and the fact that all of them are real

    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
    Hedgethorn
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
    McRhyno wrote: »
    Yeah, your point of disoriented hero brings up the interesting question about how protagonists are presented. Lots of "the one" in the past 20 years, where the background bends to them

    Still, that first shot of the cemetery and the headstones and the fact that all of them are real

    Oh yea I saw those headstones (and the dirt dug up to make it look like it was fresh) and was like “goddamn that budget”

    wbBv3fj.png
  • McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    McRhyno wrote: »
    Yeah, your point of disoriented hero brings up the interesting question about how protagonists are presented. Lots of "the one" in the past 20 years, where the background bends to them

    Still, that first shot of the cemetery and the headstones and the fact that all of them are real

    Oh yea I saw those headstones (and the dirt dug up to make it look like it was fresh) and was like “goddamn that budget”

    I know, right? But there wasn't a union in the Italian day laborer film industry then. Leone threw some bills and guys said "fuck it, sure"

    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    I have no take, unlike the rest of you stupid peasants, you disordered rabble, you celebrity-obsessed rubes.
    McRhyno wrote: »
    from a discussion in the DCEU thread regarding the fact that The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is only two minutes longer than The Batman.

    I just rewatched the Ecstasy of Gold scene and something is blowing my mind that I never noticed before. Tuco is running and he's hauling ass such that the entire background is a blur while he's perfectly in focus in a side shot. If I saw that in a movie released today, I'd assume it was VFX.

    I have the extended version that's got something like 30 more minutes of extra and extended scenes. There's a long funny scene where Tuco gets his gang back together before going after Blondie, for example.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BogartBogart Turn Around, Bright Eyes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That scene in the cemetery is an incredible combination of music, movement and mood,

    BlackDragon480Commander ZoomHedgethornGiantGeek2020FencingsaxMunkus BeavershrykeknitdanPreacherMcRhynoThirithN1tSt4lkerMoridin889BloodySlothGONG-00Honk
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Violence whenever someone says something we don't like is good.
    Bogart wrote: »
    That scene in the cemetery is an incredible combination of music, movement and mood,

    Finding out that the scores were written in advance and were piped through the set during to establish the mood

    It really sells it

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    GiantGeek2020BlackDragon480shrykeknitdanPreacherFencingsaxGnome-InterruptusElvenshaeGONG-00
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    McRhyno wrote: »
    Yeah, your point of disoriented hero brings up the interesting question about how protagonists are presented. Lots of "the one" in the past 20 years, where the background bends to them

    Still, that first shot of the cemetery and the headstones and the fact that all of them are real

    Oh yea I saw those headstones (and the dirt dug up to make it look like it was fresh) and was like “goddamn that budget”

    I know, right? But there wasn't a union in the Italian day laborer film industry then. Leone threw some bills and guys said "fuck it, sure"
    The bridge scene was worse - they legit got the Spanish army to be the extras for that scene, and someone accidentally gave the signal for the bridge to explode before the cameras were rolling.

    So they got the army extras to rebuild the whole bridge so they could shoot it again.

    knitdanshrykeSorcePreacherFencingsaxGiantGeek2020Gnome-InterruptustzeentchlingMunkus BeaverMechMantisMcRhynoKruiteMoridin889ElvenshaeGONG-00Mvrck
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Can't believe people are talking about this while the [bad thing elsewhere] is still ongoing. This makes you trivial and me wise.
    I still like Few Dollars more over GBU. I think because despite the title its not really about the money and Indio is way more hateable than Angel Eyes.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    shrykemanwiththemachinegunLordSolarMachariusGONG-00
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
    Just watched The Bad Guys with the family. It was good. Not great, but good. It avoided the pitfall of regular actors doing bad voice work. Sam Rockwell and Marc Maron in particular did well. It’s predictable, but it’s a well worn story told well. It’s not at the level of Lord and Miller/Pixar/Disney when it’s really good, but not everything needs to be. I was worried it would be Emoji Movie bad, or try hard, Seth-Rogen’s-laugh-is-peak-comedy bad, like Rescue Rangers appears to be, but it’s not. That may sound like damning with faint praise, but I think it’s easy for something to become slop like that. Success is always challenging so even modest success is worthy of praise, IMO.

    If you have kids and they say they want to see The Bad Guys, I think you’ll likely have a good time.

    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
    durandal4532
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I have no take, unlike the rest of you stupid peasants, you disordered rabble, you celebrity-obsessed rubes.
    Preacher wrote: »
    I still like Few Dollars more over GBU. I think because despite the title its not really about the money and Indio is way more hateable than Angel Eyes.

    It's very close but I just like the team of Blondie and Mortimer just a bit more than Angel Eyes.

    GBU has better single shots and music, but A Few Dollars More is a tighter movie.

    LordSolarMacharius
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Violence whenever someone says something we don't like is good.
    The fact that the lip sync is un-sync'd more often than not detracts a lot of enjoyment I would otherwise have from the spaghetti westerns.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
    Preacher wrote: »
    I still like Few Dollars more over GBU. I think because despite the title its not really about the money and Indio is way more hateable than Angel Eyes.

    My friends said that Indio had "Big Vampire Energy". And its definitely true.

    As for the title. Its referring to Indio, i think. Who in addition to being very hateable; self destructs his crew for a few dollars more.

    wbBv3fj.png
    BloodySloth
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    We watched The Lost City last night and it was pretty good. Just a nice, light adventure movie, Channing Tatum plays the naif perfectly, the dialogue is good and keeps things moving and doesn't make it seem like the movie is just action sequences strung together by setups for action sequences.

    Also, whoever managed to convince Sandra Bullock to wear a sequined onesie in the jungle for months to film it should be sent to negotiate peace treaties.

    I was actually really impressed by how fucking funny Sandra Bullock was in this whole thing. She could've easily been overshadowed by Tatum but she seriously stole the entire show.

    matt has a problemFencingsaxPailryder
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Funny thing about "The Man with No Name" is that it's a post-hoc marketing ploy to group the three movies together. In them, Eastwood's characters are credited as: 'Joe, 'Manco, and 'Blondie.

    (Which are all nicknames, I suppose, but it's not like it's standard practice to list out characters' full names anyway...)

    knitdan
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Can't believe people are talking about this while the [bad thing elsewhere] is still ongoing. This makes you trivial and me wise.
    For me its all on Lee Van Cleef's facial acting in the showdown at the end for why I prefer Few Dollars More. He acts the hell out of his showdown with Indio. Plus I love the watch chime theme.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    BlackDragon480manwiththemachinegunFencingsaxGONG-00LordSolarMacharius
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 17
    I have no take, unlike the rest of you stupid peasants, you disordered rabble, you celebrity-obsessed rubes.
    We watched The Lost City last night and it was pretty good. Just a nice, light adventure movie, Channing Tatum plays the naif perfectly, the dialogue is good and keeps things moving and doesn't make it seem like the movie is just action sequences strung together by setups for action sequences.

    Also, whoever managed to convince Sandra Bullock to wear a sequined onesie in the jungle for months to film it should be sent to negotiate peace treaties.

    I was actually really impressed by how fucking funny Sandra Bullock was in this whole thing. She could've easily been overshadowed by Tatum but she seriously stole the entire show.

    I'm not the biggest Melissa McCarthy fan, but her playing off with Sandra Bullock in the Heat is the most I've ever enjoyed a film she was in.

    manwiththemachinegun on
    DoodmannkimePailryderGnome-InterruptusElvenshaeCristoval
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
    Sandra Bullock stars in a lot of garbage, but she's really charismatic and has great comedic timing when you give her a decent script.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."
    BlackDragon480FencingsaxshrykeMunkus BeaverCarpyCommander ZoomGiantGeek2020SleepDoodmannjungleroomxAtomikaNobeardtzeentchlingSnicketysnickN1tSt4lkerSnake GandhiEmperorSethElvenshaeGONG-00PailryderGnome-InterruptusAntoshkaMoridin889DiannaoChongKruiteAbsoluteZero
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 17
    I read a story someone posted in a favorite celebrity encounter thread years ago, who had been an extra on The Blind Side. They said anytime there was a really early morning call she would show up with boxes of donuts and coffee for them because they didn't have access to craft services. She also insisted everyone call her Sandy.

    "Sandra Bullock insists you call her Sandy" is a downright pornographic sentence.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    ElvenshaeGiantGeek2020manwiththemachinegunHappylilElfMunkus BeaverFencingsaxSnicketysnickCommander ZoomAimknitdanGnome-InterruptusCristovalNobeardKruiteAbsoluteZero
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Can't believe people are talking about this while the [bad thing elsewhere] is still ongoing. This makes you trivial and me wise.
    That's enough to bring a bright spot to an otherwise dull day. She looks like a Sandy.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    BlackDragon480ElvenshaeMunkus Beavermatt has a problemElJeffeNobeardKruite
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Sandra Bullock stars in a lot of garbage, but she's really charismatic and has great comedic timing when you give her a decent script.

    I really do want world peace.

    Rhesus PositivePreacherPailryderFencingsaxmanwiththemachinegunCommander ZoomTexiKenmatt has a problemElJeffe
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    One of my big ol' nerd crushes ever since Demolition Man (and Speed, Practical Magic, etc etc)

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    DoodmannGnome-InterruptusmanwiththemachinegunElvenshaeAtomikaFencingsaxKruite
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Oh man, Demolition Man Sandy Bullock, what I would've given to be Stallone's brain in that movie.

    BlackDragon480
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
    I was into her as of Speed, and I figured she would be going places, I just wish those places hadn't mostly been cookie cutter rom-coms.

    But she has enough personality to make even something like While You Were Sleeping watchable, even in spite of the Lesser Bill.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."
    Gnome-InterruptusElvenshaeCommander ZoomMunkus BeaverFencingsax
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Can't believe people are talking about this while the [bad thing elsewhere] is still ongoing. This makes you trivial and me wise.
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I was into her as of Speed, and I figured she would be going places, I just wish those places hadn't mostly been cookie cutter rom-coms.

    But she has enough personality to make even something like While You Were Sleeping watchable, even in spite of the Lesser Bill.

    The lesser bill? How fucking dare you.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Doctor DetroittynicMegaMan001
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    I have no take, unlike the rest of you stupid peasants, you disordered rabble, you celebrity-obsessed rubes.
    Bill Pullman, who is not Bill Paxton

    He's also not Jeff Daniels though he kind of looks like him if you squint

    He was in Spaceballs like a million years ago

    ...

    You know who I haven't seen much of in forever?

    Kevin Kline

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Can't believe people are talking about this while the [bad thing elsewhere] is still ongoing. This makes you trivial and me wise.
    knitdan wrote: »
    Bill Pullman, who is not Bill Paxton

    He's also not Jeff Daniels though he kind of looks like him if you squint

    He was in Spaceballs like a million years ago

    ...

    You know who I haven't seen much of in forever?

    Kevin Kline

    He's living his best life after cashing in that Wild Wild West check.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    PailryderRhesus PositiveKruite
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    If I was married to Phoebe Cates, you'd never see me, either. Maybe bump into me at the 7-11 grabbing a lot of Gatorade, but that's it.

    BlackDragon480Gnome-Interruptuscj iwakuraCommander ZoomMunkus BeaverFencingsaxmanwiththemachinegunSmaug6shrykePailryderTexiKenBloodySlothtzeentchlingDoctor DetroitMad IronMoridin889Rhesus PositiveMegaMan001NobeardKruiteAbsoluteZero
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Can't believe people are talking about this while the [bad thing elsewhere] is still ongoing. This makes you trivial and me wise.
    So the latest Harry Potter movie seems to have barely made double its budget back after over a month or whatever in Cinemas. How many more of these things did they have left to fart out and will anyone bother with them at this point?

    Also on the topic of Sandra Bullock, <3. Don't have much more to contribute than that.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    CristovalAtomika
  • AtomikaAtomika Socially lubricated for your pleasure Registered User regular
    Kline seems to be mostly retired now, aside from doing voices on Bob’s Burgers

    DoodmannFencingsaxGiantGeek2020Gnome-InterruptusElvenshaePreacherSlacker1913Moridin889Rhesus PositiveKruite
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So the latest Harry Potter movie seems to have barely made double its budget back after over a month or whatever in Cinemas. How many more of these things did they have left to fart out and will anyone bother with them at this point.
    If it was at least an actual Harry Potter film, they’d have characters that the core audience has come to care about. With Fantastic Beasts, they’ve managed the particular magic where the characters become more and more vague and undefined with each film.

    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So the latest Harry Potter movie seems to have barely made double its budget back after over a month or whatever in Cinemas. How many more of these things did they have left to fart out and will anyone bother with them at this point?

    Also on the topic of Sandra Bullock, <3. Don't have much more to contribute than that.
    It's not just the gross, it's the trajectory as well.

    HP: Deathly Hallows Part 2 : $1,341M
    Fantastic Beasts : $814M
    Crimes of Grindelwald : $655M
    Dumbledore : $379M (probably has another $20M or so left in the tank)

    Double budget is breakeven territory for non-franchise flicks, and being the 3rd in the series it probably has decent participation clauses for Rowling, Redmayne and (likely) Jude Law (Depp would almost certainly had a gross participation clause too if he was kept around). Generally speaking, the contracts tend to reflect step-ups in compensation for keeping key people attached the longer the franchise goes.

    It's almost certain that Dumbledore will lose money for Warners at this point, and given revenues are dropping by about 1/3 each time there's going to be some serious discussions as to whether they'll keep going or pull a Divergent.

  • BogartBogart Turn Around, Bright Eyes Registered User, Moderator mod
Sign In or Register to comment.