As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wrestling Thread Hall of Famer Giant Tiger Presents: The Wrestling Thread

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    whoops wrong thread lol

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Very exceedingly mild Rampage spoiler about a video package
    A workout video was shown involving Hook and Danhausen.

I am so hype for that video package.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    What do you call someone who previously worked in the wrestling industry and is jobless
    a podcaster

hey now, don't associate them with us,

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    What do you call someone who previously worked in the wrestling industry and is jobless
    a podcaster

hey now, don't associate them with us,

#notallpodcasters

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It's early, but what do you all think the odds are that MJF resigns with AEW?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think TK will be plenty generous to keep him, but if MJF wants to go to WWE I think he's a fool. His entire act is the complete antithesis of what WWE is targeting. Imagine MJF reduced to calling someone a bitch once a month as the audience go "oooooo." Of course he knows his capabilities better and maybe he can make it work in WWE, but he'll never get the spotlight as much as he does in WWE, or wrestle as little as he does in AEW.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I mean, anything's possible, but my guess is it's somewhere around 50%.

I think on the one hand AEW has fed him a ton of time to do shit and keep doing shit, and him throwing out that he's gonna go where the money is, is him being a heel. On the other hand, to truly attain "best heel in wrestling" I can see him wanting to go to WWE to see if he can succeed there as well as Miz has. I can see that being a thing he wants to compete for.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

I think it's fun for us here to debate, so I'm not knocking the question, but his contract expires so far out that the focus on it by the enthusiast press / commenters has been a bit ridiculous. It's so far away that it's impossible to say. The most interesting thing about the whole analysis is the theory that he is currently getting paid peanuts, but is easily the best / most important part of the show.

But...to answer the question? I think it depends if WWE is still doubling or more the ratings of AEW and still is able to get people into Hollywood. Then I think yes.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

I think it's fun for us here to debate, so I'm not knocking the question, but his contract expires so far out that the focus on it by the enthusiast press / commenters has been a bit ridiculous. It's so far away that it's impossible to say. The most interesting thing about the whole analysis is the theory that he is currently getting paid peanuts, but is easily the best / most important part of the show.

But...to answer the question? I think it depends if WWE is still doubling or more the ratings of AEW and still is able to get people into Hollywood. Then I think yes.

Well that's just not true at all.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I honestly think his segments are the most over of all of them.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    MJF is clearly deeply devoted to his character and I think he's smart enough to know that even if they promise him otherwise, there's a significant chance of them fucking with it in WWE.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    MJF is not doing a character

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Preacher wrote: »

In Mortal Kombat (Edit: Well, one of them, can't remember which one), when you play arcade mode, your portrait rises through the ranks of other portraits on those slabs.

Nick Khan is the portrait on the left, rising past HHH (out after his heart surgery) and Stephanie (now leaving for....reasons?) to take on Vince.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ahh I knew the mortal kombat thing, I just didn't know who the picture was going up the side, figured he was some kind of heart doctor because didn't HHH have an issue with his recently?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ahh I knew the mortal kombat thing, I just didn't know who the picture was going up the side, figured he was some kind of heart doctor because didn't HHH have an issue with his recently?

Ah, yeah, he's the President of WWE and in charge of making their numbers go up so shareholders are happy. He's been responsible for the mass of firings for the past couple of years. He's extremely cold-blooded about making numbers go up and is largely seen as Vince's eventual replacement.

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    I honestly think his segments are the most over of all of them.

Maybe fair, but I can't stand MJF so I'm pretty biased against stuff he does.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Ah, yeah, he's the President of WWE and in charge of making their numbers go up so shareholders are happy. He's been responsible for the mass of firings for the past couple of years. He's extremely cold-blooded about making numbers go up and is largely seen as Vince's eventual replacement.

He is, allegedly, not a relative of Tony Khan sabotaging WWE on AEW's behalf.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I think TK will be plenty generous to keep him, but if MJF wants to go to WWE I think he's a fool. His entire act is the complete antithesis of what WWE is targeting. Imagine MJF reduced to calling someone a bitch once a month as the audience go "oooooo." Of course he knows his capabilities better and maybe he can make it work in WWE, but he'll never get the spotlight as much as he does in WWE, or wrestle as little as he does in AEW.

Idk, MJF is kinda perfect for WWE, in that he's a guy with a great character who can wrestle enough to hold his own in matches. I don't think all of the rumors of WWE wanting MJF are smoke, either - I think they recognize he can be their next big heel for at least the next decade and are proceeding accordingly.

On top of that, I do actually think there's something to the people saying AEW's next TV contract will decide a lot of things for them. They had a lot of cheap contracts which allowed them to sign multiple big names like Punk and Danielson, but those contracts are going to start coming up in the next few years and some of them like MJF will be in line for major pay increases. WarnerMedia just did their upfronts and AEW barely got a mention, which is interesting considering the company has all-new management that may not be as wrestling-friendly as the people preceding them. I don't think AEW is in risk of losing their spot, but the rights fees on a future deal may not be nearly as high as Tony Khan might be expecting, and that could lead to some personnel decisions in the future.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »

Idk, MJF is kinda perfect for WWE, in that he's a guy with a great character who can wrestle enough to hold his own in matches. I don't think all of the rumors of WWE wanting MJF are smoke, either - I think they recognize he can be their next big heel for at least the next decade and are proceeding accordingly.

On top of that, I do actually think there's something to the people saying AEW's next TV contract will decide a lot of things for them. They had a lot of cheap contracts which allowed them to sign multiple big names like Punk and Danielson, but those contracts are going to start coming up in the next few years and some of them like MJF will be in line for major pay increases. WarnerMedia just did their upfronts and AEW barely got a mention, which is interesting considering the company has all-new management that may not be as wrestling-friendly as the people preceding them. I don't think AEW is in risk of losing their spot, but the rights fees on a future deal may not be nearly as high as Tony Khan might be expecting, and that could lead to some personnel decisions in the future.

I thought there was a report of Warner reclassifying AEW as a sport so it could command higher ad prices.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    personally, i think, with a job like wrestling that is absolutely going to destroy your body in the long term, the only foolish move is to not go to who pays you the most

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    personally, i think, with a job like wrestling that is absolutely going to destroy your body in the long term, the only foolish move is to not go to who pays you the most

Even if you spend a bunch of time not doing much in WWE it means you can ask for more money on the indies after you leave and it also raises your profile if you want to try something else in entertainment afterword.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I also imagine getting paid a ton while not working a lot in WWE is a good way to guarantee a longer career if you so choose.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

the only caveat i would ever have here is if any promotion ever offers health insurance/benefits

(remember when aew made a big deal about saying they were gonna do this then shifted the conversation when it was clear they absolutely were not going to do it for anyone but executives)

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Have no idea about this series at all, but this made me laugh:

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Have no idea about this series at all, but this made me laugh:

Had to re-read this like six times to understand that the tweet wasn't calling the writers hacks for just picking the first WWE guy they could think of and "the AEW" and everything that made it sound like it was written and read by people who don't know what DMs, AEW, or a Roman Reigns is.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The show Hacks is really good and I recommend it if you have HBO Max

• Options
  • Options
    Bucks vs. Hardys at Double or Nothing. Kinda figured that would be saved for the AEW debut in the Los Angeles area on 6/1, have something big for the hometown crowd.

Maybe they'll book themselves to win the tag belts there.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Bucks vs. Hardys at Double or Nothing. Kinda figured that would be saved for the AEW debut in the Los Angeles area on 6/1, have something big for the hometown crowd.

Maybe they'll book themselves to win the tag belts there.

Could be the inevitable rematch featuring TLC.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    BCC vs Sydal & Martin was a very good match. I thought it was going to be an elevated squash match, but it was just damn good stuff.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

This is what an "authority screws with the babyface" storyline would actually look like.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Saying that on air makes them look like dorks and Sasha and Naomi even cooler than they already were.

• Options
    Their merch is off the site

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Do they even have enough women to do a tag team tournament?

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Do they even have enough women to do a tag team tournament?

No, they didn't have enough for the belts in the first place

This discussion has been closed.