As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Climbing out of our hovels to play in meatspace

1235»

Posts

  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Box One is a great production. I don't think it's particularly inventive in its puzzles, but for the broader audience who may be getting exposed to those types for the first time, it does the job very well. I do recommend it, though not as highly as the better Unlocks and Exits.

    Box One gets the most bang out of subverting expectations, which works for people who do not know how an escape room game works. I spoiled myself on several of the reveals just by being genre savvy and noticing things before I was supposed to. This is not from skill but sheer experience.

    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    AthenorArcSyn
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 12
    JonBob wrote: »
    Box One is a great production. I don't think it's particularly inventive in its puzzles, but for the broader audience who may be getting exposed to those types for the first time, it does the job very well. I do recommend it, though not as highly as the better Unlocks and Exits.

    Box One gets the most bang out of subverting expectations, which works for people who do not know how an escape room game works. I spoiled myself on several of the reveals just by being genre savvy and noticing things before I was supposed to. This is not from skill but sheer experience.

    I think that sums it up really well. I just have one disappointing thing in retrospect:
    I utterly ruined my copy. I wrote on the cards themselves instead of the notepad, and I destroyed the wrong envelope at the end... and then destroyed the correct one because I couldn't seem to get it open right.

    This is a shame because I totally would've "Paid it forward" to someone else to play.

    Adding another layer of thoughts on specific elements:
    Also: I find it amusing that the 2 clues I had to look up the answers to on the internet were the ones that the hint system said it was okay to look up. :D I am not sure how you were supposed to figure out to open the floppy disk if you weren't observant about it being weird though.

    I'm sad you didn't have to do anything with the asymmetric flag/sticker on the top of the box.

    Athenor on
    He/Him
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    I played anachrony again on Wednesday. The other 3 people I played with really like it but I'm not sure if I like it or just like their company. I might think it's a bog-standard worker placement, vibe-wise.

    I'm hoping to schedule a couple bonus game days in the next week or two. I haven't played via nebula since I bought it months ago, and I'd love to see spirit island hit the table again. One of my friend groups wants me to teach them Blood Rage and Great Western Trail in person, which I'm fine with I suppose. I'm not sure I actually want to play either game on BGA though?

    Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    YMMV, but I don't disagree about Anchrony. The difference for me is that I don't find it as dry as a lot of other worker placement. I think a through-line with Trickerion, and a big reason that I like them both, is that there's a strong pre-planning element in both games which simply makes things more interesting than how most other games see you getting more pieces to drop across the game. The push-pull of moving resources through time and deciding how many suits to power are meaningful decisions that feel good to execute well, but not disastrous if you miscalculate.

    Even having said that, it's probably my favorite. What do you think escalates a worker placement game for you?

  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    YMMV, but I don't disagree about Anchrony. The difference for me is that I don't find it as dry as a lot of other worker placement. I think a through-line with Trickerion, and a big reason that I like them both, is that there's a strong pre-planning element in both games which simply makes things more interesting than how most other games see you getting more pieces to drop across the game. The push-pull of moving resources through time and deciding how many suits to power are meaningful decisions that feel good to execute well, but not disastrous if you miscalculate.

    Even having said that, it's probably my favorite. What do you think escalates a worker placement game for you?

    I feel like i end up taking time loans just to pay them off and pump the track for end game 3pt boosts or something? I only actually want something that i can pay off later about twice per game (usually a time metal and a worker or a suit).

    My favorite worker placement games are manhattan project (when to pull is a fun question) and hansa teutonica (everything is super tight and game length is hugely variable)

    sig.gif
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    Hansa Teutonica is really great but man i don't know how you could call it a worker placement game by any definition 🤣

    Anyway, I found Anachrony to be... Not great. Thematically it's cool, but mechanically it didn't really hold up after a few games for my group. I hear the expansion fixes some stuff, but I don't think the game needed more added nonsense to address mechanical issues on the base game when it's already straining under it's own weight. Plus the base game is already expensive as hell, don't try to make splash out for a big box expansion to make your expensive game function.

    Edit: could have shortened that to "it's a Kickstarter game", ie long on style short on game development ;)

    Ah_Pook on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Hansa Teutonica is really great but man i don't know how you could call it a worker placement game by any definition 🤣

    <_<

    >_>

    Sometimes my thoughts are not well formed and defensible

    Edit: worker placement games i can think of off the top of my head that are not 'elevated' for me:

    Village
    Pillars of the Earth
    Lords of Waterdeep
    Stone Age
    Euphoria

    Would kings guild or a feast for odin count as worker placement? Dune Imperium and Arnak clearly don't count due to deckbuilding, right?

    Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I'm not familiar with kings guild but feast, dune, and arnak are all worker placement games.

    DoctorArch
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    Dang then i don't know what elevates Dune but i love it. The combat and the deckbuilding inside the worker placement game work really well.

    I've been enjoying feast, but i can't figure out why. It's kind of deep in that it took me a long time to understand the flow of the game and it took me a long time to make my first move, but it feels like "how to win" is mostly not very complicated so it's not deep in that way. It has the thing going for it where resources dramatically change in value based on how far into the game you are, which is nice. Am I crazy to think the islands aren't balanced at all without Norwegians?

    I'm only partway through a glacial async game of Arnak but I'm maybe going to buy it because one of you said it was as good as dune.

    sig.gif
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Box One's puzzles were very simple to experienced escape room players, but the neat gimmicks still made it enjoyable, and I had a lot of fun introducing it to casual puzzle people.

    Except one group where the experience was ruined by some meat head who decided to set up by turning the whole thing upside down and shake it hard until everything was spilled out on the table.

    Frywebguy20Elvenshae
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Box One's puzzles were very simple to experienced escape room players, but the neat gimmicks still made it enjoyable, and I had a lot of fun introducing it to casual puzzle people.

    Except one group where the experience was ruined by some meat head who decided to set up by turning the whole thing upside down and shake it hard until everything was spilled out on the table.

    I've got it in my cabinet waiting on me to try some solo gaming. Without any spoilers, is it easily re-usable? Some of the escape room games you've got to go well out of your way to keep the components un-marked.

    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    YMMV, but I don't disagree about Anchrony. The difference for me is that I don't find it as dry as a lot of other worker placement. I think a through-line with Trickerion, and a big reason that I like them both, is that there's a strong pre-planning element in both games which simply makes things more interesting than how most other games see you getting more pieces to drop across the game. The push-pull of moving resources through time and deciding how many suits to power are meaningful decisions that feel good to execute well, but not disastrous if you miscalculate.

    Even having said that, it's probably my favorite. What do you think escalates a worker placement game for you?

    I think I finally figured out how to order Anachrony, which wasn't made any easier by them completely relaunching and repackaging everything into different boxes.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Dang then i don't know what elevates Dune but i love it. The combat and the deckbuilding inside the worker placement game work really well.

    I've been enjoying feast, but i can't figure out why. It's kind of deep in that it took me a long time to understand the flow of the game and it took me a long time to make my first move, but it feels like "how to win" is mostly not very complicated so it's not deep in that way. It has the thing going for it where resources dramatically change in value based on how far into the game you are, which is nice. Am I crazy to think the islands aren't balanced at all without Norwegians?

    I'm only partway through a glacial async game of Arnak but I'm maybe going to buy it because one of you said it was as good as dune.

    The bolded really strikes me as a hallmark of Uwe Rosenberg games. He's happy creating his little/medium/big worker-placement engine builders and I keep eating them up.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Tzolkin is still one of my favorite worker placement games. The wheels are such a gimmick but I do appreciate how they create tension on when to place and when to pull workers.

  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Box One
    Without any spoilers, is it easily re-usable? Some of the escape room games you've got to go well out of your way to keep the components un-marked.
    No components need to be destroyed. There is a video on their site (with spoilers, obviously) for how to put the game back together for another person to play later.

    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    CptHamiltonFry
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    Box One
    Without any spoilers, is it easily re-usable? Some of the escape room games you've got to go well out of your way to keep the components un-marked.
    No components need to be destroyed. There is a video on their site (with spoilers, obviously) for how to put the game back together for another person to play later.

    Let me put it this way:

    There will be cards inside.

    Don't be stupid like me and write directly on the cards. Actually use the notepad. :D

    He/Him
    ArcticLancer
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Except one group where the experience was ruined by some meat head who decided to set up by turning the whole thing upside down and shake it hard until everything was spilled out on the table.

    That is not even the correct setup behavior for Monopoly or Chess. Where would someone learn to act like that :0

  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited May 17
    Fry wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    Except one group where the experience was ruined by some meat head who decided to set up by turning the whole thing upside down and shake it hard until everything was spilled out on the table.

    That is not even the correct setup behavior for Monopoly or Chess. Where would someone learn to act like that :0

    A meat head, with ground beef where a brain should be.

    "What? It's the fastest way to get it out onto the table!"

    MrBody on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i'm in the bottom 10% for undelivered people on 4 big KS projects and I am stomping my foot.

  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    Except one group where the experience was ruined by some meat head who decided to set up by turning the whole thing upside down and shake it hard until everything was spilled out on the table.

    That is not even the correct setup behavior for Monopoly or Chess. Where would someone learn to act like that :0

    Jigsaws, I guess. Wrong sort of puzzle for that guy.

    Fry
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    Tzolkin is still one of my favorite worker placement games. The wheels are such a gimmick but I do appreciate how they create tension on when to place and when to pull workers.

    Tzolkin is great. I love the gimmick. Daddy two wheel turns

    sig.gif
    Magic Pink
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i'm in the bottom 10% for undelivered people on 4 big KS projects and I am stomping my foot.

    Is one of them Root? Because I have to wait for the retailer distro to happen.

    On the plus side, my "OMG this is like the last copy" copy of Tidal Blades deluxe came in yesterday, so I got that going for me. :)

    He/Him
    Auralynx
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I got one of them omg this is the last one things coming sooner or later, snagged one of the last Wonderlands War deluxe editions from Skybound, really looking forward to it

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i'm in the bottom 10% for undelivered people on 4 big KS projects and I am stomping my foot.

    Is one of them Root? Because I have to wait for the retailer distro to happen.

    On the plus side, my "OMG this is like the last copy" copy of Tidal Blades deluxe came in yesterday, so I got that going for me. :)

    no this is all BIG shit like "guess I'm buying a 14th shelf" shit

  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    We played Carnegie last night, and let me tell you, as someone who has been down on a lot of current board game designs because "I hope you like advancing on all these tracks!" I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first play of it. I think there are really clever interactions with the main board and how the game's economy work that make it novel, so I would happily give it another go. The rulebook apparently could have been a lot better (I wasn't in charge of this one), but also the rules aren't particularly complicated so it's not the worst offender either. Recommend checking this one out if you're on the market for a euro with at least a hint of freshness to its arc.

    If folk are interested in trying Carnegie before buying, it's on boardgame arena too.

    VayBJ4e.png
    Cantido
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So re: that new ROOT expansion...

    Does the Lord of the Hundreds feel like a bunch of Nazis to anyone else?

  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I wish Eclipse would get the Dire Wolf treatment on Steam. It looks fantastic.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So re: that new ROOT expansion...

    Does the Lord of the Hundreds feel like a bunch of Nazis to anyone else?

    Oh ya they are populist fascists for sure.

    Magic Pink
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    So how does one go about purchasing Eclipse 2e these days?

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    So how does one go about purchasing Eclipse 2e these days?

    I ordered it directly from the publisher maybe a month ago, and was going to say to do that, but it appears to be sold out now. You can pre-order it from them, and it says it will ship at the beginning of next month. Might want to email them and see if that's accurate before dropping the cash.

    https://en.lautapelit.fi/product/42986/eclipse---2nd-dawn-for-the-galaxy-from-us-stock

    Cantido
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 19
    FFG just announced the next LCG scenario box: Mutant Genesis.

    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/5/19/mutant-genesis/

    mc32_cardfan2.png

    Edit: Oh, and the same day they are releasing Jean Grey and Cyclops, and they are doing 6 heroes this cycle.

    Athenor on
    He/Him
    VisskarGnizmoFryElvenshae
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Good gravy, both Shadowcat and Colossus are incredibly tanky. I wonder just how many extra attacks villains are going to be getting in that campaign to try to get through that :0

  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I think Shadowcat is going to be more vulnerable in practice than on paper. No selling one a round is super nice but it flips you to solid form. An extra attack a round could really throw her off.

  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    So how does one go about purchasing Eclipse 2e these days?

    I ordered it directly from the publisher maybe a month ago, and was going to say to do that, but it appears to be sold out now. You can pre-order it from them, and it says it will ship at the beginning of next month. Might want to email them and see if that's accurate before dropping the cash.

    https://en.lautapelit.fi/product/42986/eclipse---2nd-dawn-for-the-galaxy-from-us-stock

    They just confirmed shipment, so I think it's safe to say it's available and shipping. :)

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oh dang marvel champions did nova (Sam version) and ironheart? Those are pretty tempting to pick up with a core set

    Fry
Sign In or Register to comment.