Options

[Board Games] Climbing out of our hovels to play in meatspace

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited June 4
    For Red Dragon Inn, we printed off 3 fan-created bartender decks to enhance the party game Chaos. When someone is eliminated they pick up a bartender deck. The bartender can't win or be hurt/made drunk, but they can still play cards to shake things up. Pretty much everyone is happy with them because they remove the player elimination aspect and they result in funny outcomes which is what the whole thing is all about anyways.

That said, I am not as sold on the RDI side stuff like Battle of Greyport and similar.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Can you link to those decks? I like the concept.

It's a shame the Oath expansion is going to get here so long in the future, because I suspect it will be a game I only ever get to play solo, and the current clockwork stuff seems... intimidating?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited June 4
    https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/163362/bartender-deck-variant-to-keep-eliminated-players

We also use the potions deck, loot deck, and more drinks decks from the same directory. I just printed the cards myself, so all it cost was some time and a few sheets of cardstock and laminator sheets. Getting it all done at a print service would have been more pricey.

One thing I need to emphasize, is that when using the Bartender Decks, you cannot care about who wins beyond a jeering and cheering level. It's all about the play experience and not about competition when using this option. If you are competitive, then using it is just an exercise in frustration.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited June 5
    Had a hilarious run in Frosthaven tonight, which we needed after our recent ordeals. We spent the last two weeks working on Mission 60, which took 3 total tries (one failed with 3, one failed with 2, and then scraped by on our 2p re-run on the same night). Having got that monkey off our back, we decided to resume what we had started before being distracted by unlocking the Puzzle Book and the consequences of that (including ultimately giving us access to 60, which we had been wanting for ages).

So we ran 36 tonight with three of us.
    The objective is to destroy four targets and then every enemy, with the targets spawning enemies every turn (in a looping sequence, A -> B -> C -> D -> A) starting on turn 2 unless they are destroyed.

We destroyed target A on turn 1 (no spawn on 2), targets B and D on turn 2 (no B spawn on 3), and only missed destroying C on turn 3 because one of my two attacks whiffed, leaving it at 1hp and allowing it to spawn the only extra enemy we would see.

Just an utter curb-stomping.

Of course, this mission is the first in a mandatory three-quest chain, so we expect the difficulty to ramp up next week...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Anyone with Deathwalker experience care to share thoughts?

My group got rolling again and I am one now.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Deathwalker was my first character, ages ago... not sure I remember how to play them.

Mostly I focused on shadow control. You can stay out of harm's way fairly well, but if you sacrifice too many of your shadows you're screwed. Push into the backfield to support the frontliners, then teleport in when convenient.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Deathwalker was my first character, ages ago... not sure I remember how to play them.

Mostly I focused on shadow control. You can stay out of harm's way fairly well, but if you sacrifice too many of your shadows you're screwed. Push into the backfield to support the frontliners, then teleport in when convenient.

Yeah, having played Circles and Angry Face in GH it's clearly a style I will be more or less at home with, overall.

That the attack-from-shadow cards are mandatory is a bit of a head-scratcher but doable.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Having finally found the time to build and begin painting my Shadows of Brimstone Adventures Kickstarter stuff, I've decided to play "Season 3" of our expeditions a bit differently.

S1 (Old west mines baseline) was just 'play what you want', with the vast majority of heroes chosen being from the core boxes, as the other heroes didn't arrive for quite a while.

S2 (Feudal Japan base, though they did end up in the mines and various KS1 Otherworlds as well) was a mix of whatever folks wanted to play, which had the unfortunate side effect of only actually playing with 2 heroes from that set.

In an effort to avoid repeating that, and to see more mechanics on the table, before everyone picks what they want to play long term/"for real", we're doing sampler one-shots where everyone picks from the same Hero Team type.

The first one was Vikings, the second was Conquistadors, and the third (hopefully in July) will be Trederran Strike Team members, which I'm including the Trederran Veteran in as well.

Then, once we've at least had a basic mission run with each Hero team type, folks can pick what they'd like to try longer term. Something they've already played, or seen played, or something entirely new.

This way we'll end up with something like 16+ of the 19 or so classes in this round of characters. I'm really interested to see who'll go with what.

I'm definitely enjoying the new mechanics. Viking Rage to fuel bigger hits, and Conquistador Ambition giving a limited re-re-roll in a game that very very rarely allows such things is neat.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Athenor wrote: »
    Can you link to those decks? I like the concept.

It's a shame the Oath expansion is going to get here so long in the future, because I suspect it will be a game I only ever get to play solo, and the current clockwork stuff seems... intimidating?
    The new solo stuff will be released for PnP and Tabletop Simulator tomorrow if you wanna try it sooner.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited June 8
    I'm finding Fast & Furious: Highway Heist to be a better alternative to Thunder Road, with a lot more agency in your actions rather than pure randomness. It's also one-third the price!

Threw up a forum game
    if anyone wants to try it.

MrBody on
  • Options
    We played some more Lost Ruins of Arnak. Lots of fun had by all, especially since we largely didn't make a bunch of mistakes that slowed the game down. One thing we noticed, is that at 4 players, the game ends up being a lot slower than the advertised speed, but that's pretty standard for board games I've found.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    A rare game day for me today:

Endless Winter: Paleoamericans
    More like endless setup. Every time it felt like we were about done setting up, no, there's another board to put out, or another deck. And a couple times, we got the wrong board or deck out, because it was something from an expansion, and had to put it back. Definitely some Kickstarter bloat.

Seemed fine as a point salad, worker placement, set collection, a little bit of area control, with extremely minor deck building kind of thing. I couldn't wrap my head around all of the many, many boards and tracks, so I chose a couple to disregard at the start. Which ended up being some of the more important ones, oh well. Looks gorgeous, I'm sure it's a fine game if you're the kind of person who gets to play the same game more than a couple times, but not at all my thing.

Wyrmspan
    I've only played Wingspan once; this seemed similar to what I remember of that, but I understand there are several differences in places. I got some good tuck and stash engines going early, but never felt like I had many options about what to do, or ability to plan ahead. One other person had some really sick combo turns of things triggering a bunch of other abilities that refunded themselves and then made progress on a bunch of other metrics. Somehow my engine was good enough to win, though.

Theme didn't really do it for me, I like actual birbs better. The gameplay might be better in this, though?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Stonemaier put up the Expeditions expansion on last week, and due to living close to them I got my copy today. I didn't want to risk getting the ironclad edition through the store (especially after last year), so I ordered direct.

It really is a small expansion, adding a bit of "more stuff" other than radical new gameplay changes from what I can tell.

First up is the two new mechs: The Scarecrow and the Mole.

EHoIME0h.jpg

Next, the game also added 4 new heroes/companions, including one that looks intriguing and deals with corruption.

Speaking of, they also added a "Corrupted Mech" variant where a baddie AI stomps around the expedition site.

New starting map tokens are added for the central and north areas that have bonuses on the opposite side, hidden.

There's also a special starter worker that can act as a wildcard/any worker, helping speed up the start of the game.

And then there's some QoL changes - cards to help randomize starting choices, new mech boards that have indentations for placing cubes (like Scythe before it), components to support a 6th player now that there are more than 5 mechs, and some reprints/errata components. For the Ironclad edition, they also swapped out the base snaps for rubber ones that fit better on the metal.

Every component fits easily in the starter box, which is nice. I think another expansion would probably be pushing what could be stored in there, but in theory there is room for more exploration tiles when they are ready to do that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited June 10
    MrBody wrote: »
    I'm finding Fast & Furious: Highway Heist to be a better alternative to Thunder Road, with a lot more agency in your actions rather than pure randomness. It's also one-third the price!

Threw up a forum game
    if anyone wants to try it.

Well, I'm not letting my Fast & Furious character name go to waste: H.P. "Horsepower" Lovecraft
    a18ac8fog3ol.png

MrBody on
  • Options
    Had a hilarious run in Frosthaven tonight, which we needed after our recent ordeals. We spent the last two weeks working on Mission 60, which took 3 total tries (one failed with 3, one failed with 2, and then scraped by on our 2p re-run on the same night). Having got that monkey off our back, we decided to resume what we had started before being distracted by unlocking the Puzzle Book and the consequences of that (including ultimately giving us access to 60, which we had been wanting for ages).

The objective is to destroy four targets and then every enemy, with the targets spawning enemies every turn (in a looping sequence, A -> B -> C -> D -> A) starting on turn 2 unless they are destroyed.

We destroyed target A on turn 1 (no spawn on 2), targets B and D on turn 2 (no B spawn on 3), and only missed destroying C on turn 3 because one of my two attacks whiffed, leaving it at 1hp and allowing it to spawn the only extra enemy we would see.

Of course, this mission is the first in a mandatory three-quest chain, so we expect the difficulty to ramp up next week...

Chapter two saw my invincible tank of a character snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
    Goal is to destroy 6 targets and all enemies. When an objective is destroyed, all enemies in range 2 suffer trap damage (which is not enough to outright kill anything healthy, but a large chunk of most of the non-elites). The catch? In the second room (of three), every time an Ancient Artillery ends its turn it summons a Ruined Machine — which are also prone to exploding with trap damage.

We breeze through the first room, but the second room sees the Ruined Machines flip their self-destruct cards at inconvenient times, putting our fragile Blinkblade on the ropes and making my life miserable since I can't use my shields to defend against trap damage. Knowing he's about to die, Blinky opts to draw fire from me so I can retreat and heal up (I have boots that provide Regeneration plus other healing effects) while taking out the last objective in room 2. Meanwhile, our bruiser goes on a rampage and clears out half of the room, leaving only the elite gun and the elite RMs it generates. Also near death, the bruiser smashes the last gun, shutting off the flow, before opening the final door. The monsters in there ruin him, leaving me vs. the four in there (two of which are immobile guns) and the remaining three elite RMs.

By this time I've recovered a good chunk of my health. These 7 enemies and one objective all have to go down, and I'm the only one left. Fortunately, I have a ton of shields and Retaliate 2. Also helping out is the fact that the RMs tend to damage themselves a lot, but if they self-destruct I'm screwed. It doesn't look good, but I'm the only hope we have.

The short version is they break upon me like water on rock. I use large sweeping attacks to pick off the RMs, leaving just two Bladespinners, the guns, and the target. I make a mad dash for the final room, but get immobilized by the guns and lose a productive turn (but not before the normal Spinner dies to my retaliate). Once I can move again I focus on the target and the elite gun, eventually taking them both out while the Bladespinner continues to run into the last few turns of my Retaliate. I'm hurt, I'm running low on cards, and I have two enemies left. I get into position to sweep attack both; the gun falls but I whiff vs. the Bladspinner, going to 1 hp from its retaliate only thanks to a heal effect in my modifier deck on the previous swing.

With only 3 cards to my name, I kill the Bladespinner on my next turn (and thus avoid the lethal retaliate, which I guess I could have carded if necessary but then I'd be exhausted next turn) to complete the scenario.

One more to go!

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited June 19
    Hi there, thread. It's been a while, having been lurking for pretty much the past couple of years?

Anyways, I'm moving out of the SF Bay Area in two weeks and am looking to sell / give away a number of games from my hoard to lighten my move load. I've gotten mod permission to post a spreadsheet (EDIT: link now removed) of what I've got to offer. Prices are flexible, SF Bay Area transfers are preferred so I don't need to ship anything, but hey, PM me if any set of items catches your interest and we can talk.

I'll, uh, try to post something more substantially topic-related at some point so that this seems less like a drive-by post? Ironically, I started playing more games again after learning I'd need to move, so it's kind of a shame to have to lose that groove just as I found a group to play my more technical games with.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So we have the last update on the Oath expansion. Here's everything it does:
    • Adds persistent modifiers for players. You get an Offer and a Quest each game, where the offer gives you something in exchange for a curse that sticks around each game until you meet its removal condition and a quest has a requirement that gives you a persistent boost between games but it has an upkeep cost that must be met before the game ends or it goes away.
    • Add a deck of Empire cards. Each game, the chancellor draws four Empire cards and decides which go into effect and which don't. For each card you don't enact, Shadow Denizens are put into play that make life worse for everyone. Empire cards tend to make life easier for the Empire and worse for Exiles.
    • Foundation cards that replace the original chronicle. Three players now get a say in the end-game cleanup, and there's a deck of cards that provide broader modifications to the rules each game that is added to that process.
    • Another solo mode which is a separate boxed product

The final PnP preview comes out tomorrow, so going to give this a run and see how it plays.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder that I need to bug my LGS about getting it. I asked Leder if retailers could also order the sleeves, but never got a definitive answer.. so I will probably hedge my bets and get in on the pledge manager.

• Options
    Has anyone here had a chance to play Arcs or the Arcs Campaign Expansion? I'm wondering how heavy the game is mechanically, and roughly how long a normal session is (and how long the same group or equivalent group of people would spend on other popular games). The only real space game that sees much time at the table is Cosmic Encounters and I don't really want to try bringing something else to the table if it ends up being too heavy for people to enjoy or too long.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Has anyone here had a chance to play Arcs or the Arcs Campaign Expansion? I'm wondering how heavy the game is mechanically, and roughly how long a normal session is (and how long the same group or equivalent group of people would spend on other popular games). The only real space game that sees much time at the table is Cosmic Encounters and I don't really want to try bringing something else to the table if it ends up being too heavy for people to enjoy or too long.

I played half a base game with my wife (conceded because I was too far behind). We found it a fair bit lighter than Oath and Root (Root mainly because of the lack of asymmetry). I'd say their 30 min/player estimate once you have a couple games under your belt is about right and I'd be surprised if a 4P game took more than three hours at any experience level.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Grain of salt because I think but am not 100% sure I played the version they eventually shipped on TTS.

Did not play the campaign, so zero experience there, sorry.
    The core gameplay of Arcs is not terribly complicated. It's not baby's first game or anything, but for anybody mildly familiar with board games, or someone who has played another Leader Games game, it's not going to be challenging to pick up. More complicated than Wingspan, less complicated that Terra Mystica or Great Western Trail, if that helps.
    This is also subjective, but I feel there's an extra layer to worry about in your group dynamics with Arcs: The game requires conflict. It's simply how points are going to be scored. You need to attack each other and do jerk things because there's just not enough to be gained from building and collecting stuff. Personally this is what turned me off from the game after our last play, but that's what the game is (so I feel - YMMV).

But yeah, it's straightforward-ish card play to take actions. There's a bit of hand management and how you do the things you want to do, but it should fall into place pretty easily if you play a few demo hands. The actions themselves are generally very simple: move wood on boards, take a card, roll dice, etc. How points are scored is tied to the card play, so again, can be explained during those demo hands.
    Certainly expect the first game or two to be a little longer, but the non-campaign version of the game should easily be a sub 2-hour affair for 3-4 IMO.

• Options
    Cole Wehrle making a game that doesn't require direct conflict will be a sign of the end times.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    It didn't feel the same to me. I felt like the game demanded I just continuously try to stomp on my friends' toes. It's not because I need to worsen their position, but because I score points from having their wood bits in jail and there's very little else to do.
    I don't like Root because the victory point track sucks. Playing the actual factions is fun enough, and the interplay between their asymmetry lends itself to the conflicts and how much you should expect to punch each other.

• Options
    Grain of salt because I think but am not 100% sure I played the version they eventually shipped on TTS.

Did not play the campaign, so zero experience there, sorry.
    The core gameplay of Arcs is not terribly complicated. It's not baby's first game or anything, but for anybody mildly familiar with board games, or someone who has played another Leader Games game, it's not going to be challenging to pick up. More complicated than Wingspan, less complicated that Terra Mystica or Great Western Trail, if that helps.
    This is also subjective, but I feel there's an extra layer to worry about in your group dynamics with Arcs: The game requires conflict. It's simply how points are going to be scored. You need to attack each other and do jerk things because there's just not enough to be gained from building and collecting stuff. Personally this is what turned me off from the game after our last play, but that's what the game is (so I feel - YMMV).

But yeah, it's straightforward-ish card play to take actions. There's a bit of hand management and how you do the things you want to do, but it should fall into place pretty easily if you play a few demo hands. The actions themselves are generally very simple: move wood on boards, take a card, roll dice, etc. How points are scored is tied to the card play, so again, can be explained during those demo hands.
    Certainly expect the first game or two to be a little longer, but the non-campaign version of the game should easily be a sub 2-hour affair for 3-4 IMO.

This perspective is really good. It strikes me as a game I would enjoy a lot in a different gaming group, but we tend to overall prefer less confrontational games. I can generally get enjoyment out of both, but we've got a decent sized minority that either doesn't want to do that type of game because they find themselves becoming hyper competitive or who don't like that level of conflict.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly, a campaign game of Arcs is only like three games too, right? So it's actually feasible to complete in a reasonable time.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, a campaign game of Arcs is only like three games too, right? So it's actually feasible to complete in a reasonable time.

Precisely three games.

• Options
    btw, will anyone be escaping their hovels to perhaps play board games at GenCon?

Because this Canadian Zergling will, once again, be at GenCon!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I just submitted a refund request for my GenCon badge for this year. I wasn't able to get a room in the initial housing lottery and it took so long for rooms to actually become available that I lost pretty much all enthusiasm for it this year.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    btw, will anyone be escaping their hovels to perhaps play board games at GenCon?

Because this Canadian Zergling will, once again, be at GenCon!

Keep an eye out for Northstar games and Nature!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I *should* be around at GenCon this year again, although I havn't really figured out a schedule of what I'm doing. All I've got so far is some pre-releases for the new edition of the old Warlord: Saga of the Storm card game.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I'll be working at the Flying Frog Productions booth, running demos of Shadows of Brimstone, as is my usual role.

Feel free to swing by and say hi if you get a chance, maybe pull up a chair and try the game if you feel so inclined.

I'll be the tall, somewhat heavyset gent, likely on the exterior side of of the demo zone.

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    I'll be working at the Flying Frog Productions booth, running demos of Shadows of Brimstone, as is my usual role.

Feel free to swing by and say hi if you get a chance, maybe pull up a chair and try the game if you feel so inclined.

I'll be the tall, somewhat heavyset gent, likely on the exterior side of of the demo zone.

Will you be working Roll to Move again this year? I'm signed up to play a few games throughout the weekend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 17
    Played an incredibly cool game of Oath today -- a four-player game and the fifth in our Chronicle.

I won the last game as an exile by barely holding off multiple assaults, but I won with no controlled sites so my "empire" consisted of nothing but a site with a single edifice. I also chose to swore the Oath of Supremacy, which requires ruling sites to win. So I started this game controlling a single site, with my victory condition being controlling the most sites... not ideal!

To add insult to injury, the other site in the Cradle was the Rocky Coast with zero spaces for denizens. So the heart of my empire was effectively useless for gathering any kind of power. This would also create a really weird situation as no one was searching in the Cradle, which meant no cards were discarded to the Provinces, so as visions were revealed you couldn't search anywhere but the Hinterlands without paying a painful amount of supply. Additionally, the lands were flooded with relics, which both increased the danger of combat (because a bunch of the relics killed extra troops) and made the Successor victory condition (owning the most relics+banners) much more accessible.

However, before this game I had been thinking about Oath and realized that while I've enjoyed the social dynamic, none of us have really engaged in the diplomacy or deal-making aspects. I knew I wanted to be a bit more active in this area, and starting from a weak position gave me an excellent opportunity to be well-received.

So I was aggressively offering citizenship from the start. I was able to convince the black Exile who had the weakest starting position to accept the Bandit Crown, which made her the queen of the bandits and meant that suddenly our empire stretched across the known world! We battled it out for a bit and our empire stayed strong while my citizen slowly pushed towards the Successor victory. I convinced her not to push too hard to surpass me as we approached the 6+ victory round as I just felt it would be smarter for her to play for incremental advantage than go for a big swing that could potentially drag both of us down. I missed the 6+ and the game continued.

At this point I realized I had a good chance not only to put myself in position for an-Succeeded win, but also to remove the awful Rocky Coast (which was still controlled by bandits) from our empire. I exiled my citizen, moved into the last unrevealed site, and attacked the two remaining bandit territories. This meant I was controlling four of eight territories with substantial forces on every one.

The blue citizen attacked my re-exiled former citizen and took the Banner of the Darkest Secret, lining her up for her Vision of Faith win. The red exile attacked and took one territory from me, but that only tied us up. I saw his hopelessness and offered him citizenship -- sure, it would secure the rest of the empire as my territory, but he had no clear path to victory and if I failed my 5+ taking my relics and winning as my Successor would be a very real option. He accepted and suddenly I controlled six out of the eight sites. Lastly, my former citizen went and pulled the Vision of Rebellion out of the discard pile. She bought the Banner of the People's Favor off me (with the favor I gave her to force her into exile!) and was suddenly in a rock-solid position to win.

So as my turn started the situation was this: I could win on a 5+. If not, I would need to take the Banner of the Darkest Secret from blue to prevent her vision win. Then my citizen would need to take the Banner of the People's Favor from my former citizen to prevent her vision win. Taking the Darkest Secret was very do-able, but the People's Favor was extremely well-defended and my citizen's army was... not strong. I knew I'd need to do some negotiating just to convince my citizen to help, since it would put me in a highly likely position to win while helping him very little...

but none of that mattered as I rolled the die and it came up a 6.

In the end, my empire which started with a single Edifice now stretched across most of the known world, which will carry over into the next game. Amusingly, since I have to swear a new Oath, holding all that territory will help me very little next game, so I'll find myself in a similar position the the one I had today...

admanb on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My high school friend is my age (48) and recently found out that he has a mild form of ADHD. It explains so much about his personality quirks.

It had also driven him to the point of updating the card art in the MECCG we play from the stock art to some hi-Rez fan made updates. We spent the a few hours this weekend updating all the cards. They’re all 1000% more readable now.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    @Vyolynce

Just did Mission #16 of Frosthaven on Saturday as my first game on Deathwalker and... what the heck?
    So I made the same mistake I'm sure everyone makes once of going "I can slow play the shadows," - nope - and our Trapper and I both exhausted - him well before me - due to sheer quantity of spawns.

We did both get off big enough room-clearing turns that the last couple of us standing won, but good lord! Vyo's last gave me the impression that Ruined Machines were pushovers!

• Options
    Vyolynce

Just did Mission #16 of Frosthaven on Saturday as my first game on Deathwalker and... what the heck?
    So I made the same mistake I'm sure everyone makes once of going "I can slow play the shadows," - nope - and our Trapper and I both exhausted - him well before me - due to sheer quantity of spawns.

We did both get off big enough room-clearing turns that the last couple of us standing won, but good lord! Vyo's last gave me the impression that Ruined Machines were pushovers!
    RMs are pushovers when you have multiple Shields and Retaliate 2. My build for Anemone is nearly invincible (I got a Mastery for it in my first outing) , but the tradeoff is I don't hit hard outside of a couple attacks. As long as they don't blow up time is on my side.

• Options
    Vyolynce

RMs are pushovers when you have multiple Shields and Retaliate 2. My build for Anemone is nearly invincible (I got a Mastery for it in my first outing) , but the tradeoff is I don't hit hard outside of a couple attacks. As long as they don't blow up time is on my side.

re: Anemone / Snowflake
    Ours held up pretty well, but had been chasing status shenanigans more than invulnerability. The loss of Snowflake when I retired and went to Deathwalker has, uh, exposed some gaps in our current comp. We're looking at a basically support-less team in a few more missions.

• Options
    Visskar wrote: »

Will you be working Roll to Move again this year? I'm signed up to play a few games throughout the weekend.

I am indeed!

I'm running the 'Swallowed by the Hellmouth' and 'Slasher Harvest' events/missions.

Since they won't let me fly home with one of the swanky 3D tables from Dice Fest, I usually try to run missions that folks are less likely to have stumbled across, such as those tied to the terrain pieces they make and cast in-house, under the "Dark Stone Forge" label, if I'm not mistaken.

• Options
    I went on a short overnight trip via ferry with some friends over the weekend so we tried out some micro games, or as we call them "ferry games". There were four of us, so comments are relative to that player count.

The big hit was Love Letter Sender. This was an April Fools joke which reskinned Love Letter for modern online dating. The game, which I'm sure many people are familiar with, was extremely fast, easy to grasp, and didn't get stale even after multiple games. We played a ton of this when we were waiting around for things (such as on 1.5 hour ferry rides), or when killing time at a microbrewery/pub.

We also gave Squire For Hire a shot. This game is originally a 2 person game, but per the rules can be played with four players when you combine the base game and expansion or two copies of the base game. The rules for this were horribly written and confusing, which is surprising for a very simple game. We found a quick Youtube how to play video, so we were able to figure things out, but that was a harder process than it should have been. Even once we figured out how to play it, we all found it kind of boring at 4 players just because there wasn't really any back and forth, everyone just picked up whatever they saw available and then the cards were out and the game was over. I'll give it another shot at 2 players or as a solitaire game, but it's not good at 4 players and we won't play it again.

I also brought two sets of Farmers Finances, which I've really enjoyed as a microgame at 2 players, but didn't get it to the table at 4 players yet. Seasons of Rice was also brought along for the trip, but we never had a situation where 2 players made sense, so it didn't see the table. There was interest in it though, so I'll get some games of it at 2 players at some point and give my thoughts then.

• Options

Chapter two saw my invincible tank of a character snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
    Goal is to destroy 6 targets and all enemies. When an objective is destroyed, all enemies in range 2 suffer trap damage (which is not enough to outright kill anything healthy, but a large chunk of most of the non-elites). The catch? In the second room (of three), every time an Ancient Artillery ends its turn it summons a Ruined Machine — which are also prone to exploding with trap damage.

We breeze through the first room, but the second room sees the Ruined Machines flip their self-destruct cards at inconvenient times, putting our fragile Blinkblade on the ropes and making my life miserable since I can't use my shields to defend against trap damage. Knowing he's about to die, Blinky opts to draw fire from me so I can retreat and heal up (I have boots that provide Regeneration plus other healing effects) while taking out the last objective in room 2. Meanwhile, our bruiser goes on a rampage and clears out half of the room, leaving only the elite gun and the elite RMs it generates. Also near death, the bruiser smashes the last gun, shutting off the flow, before opening the final door. The monsters in there ruin him, leaving me vs. the four in there (two of which are immobile guns) and the remaining three elite RMs.

By this time I've recovered a good chunk of my health. These 7 enemies and one objective all have to go down, and I'm the only one left. Fortunately, I have a ton of shields and Retaliate 2. Also helping out is the fact that the RMs tend to damage themselves a lot, but if they self-destruct I'm screwed. It doesn't look good, but I'm the only hope we have.

The short version is they break upon me like water on rock. I use large sweeping attacks to pick off the RMs, leaving just two Bladespinners, the guns, and the target. I make a mad dash for the final room, but get immobilized by the guns and lose a productive turn (but not before the normal Spinner dies to my retaliate). Once I can move again I focus on the target and the elite gun, eventually taking them both out while the Bladespinner continues to run into the last few turns of my Retaliate. I'm hurt, I'm running low on cards, and I have two enemies left. I get into position to sweep attack both; the gun falls but I whiff vs. the Bladspinner, going to 1 hp from its retaliate only thanks to a heal effect in my modifier deck on the previous swing.

With only 3 cards to my name, I kill the Bladespinner on my next turn (and thus avoid the lethal retaliate, which I guess I could have carded if necessary but then I'd be exhausted next turn) to complete the scenario.

One more to go!

Got there pretty cleanly tonight, with our full party of four (yay, everything elite) for the first time in a while. We had the choice of peace or war and opted for peace since that had pretty much been our MO the entire campaign.
    As a result, we skipped the boss fight but gained the escort mission. Ugh.

As is the norm for this area, we were on the clock as more enemies spawned nearly every round. However, one of us had the ability to absolutely ruin one room with a sea of hazardous terrain, channeling most of the enemies (stupid jumping Bladespinners) away from our ally while we prioritized taking out the Boltshooters. We entered the final room with enough time that the endless hordes weren't an issue and were able to meat shield our way to victory.

Three weeks worth of missions packed into one in-game week, but the results were definitely worth it.

Where we go from here is up in the air. I don't think we have any obvious threads that need pulling right now, as we've completed the three major paths (Algox, Lurker, and Unfettered) and unlocked every class but one. Still have a few new buildings to put up but these retirement missions are proving stubborn — which is super annoying because we've unlocked like four classes since our last retirement. At least the next time one of us does finally retire we get to knock out multiple quests thanks to our accumulated Inspiration. We're also on the cusp of Prosperity level 7, which is gatekeeping a TON of upgrades.

We're off next week since that's my kid's birthday.