As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Job] thread brought to you by WAP.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Final interview was today. I did well, but I always expect to do well during Manager interviews.

I really hope the new stuff you work on is called something silly like Splooge, because every time you talk about Splunk I giggle.

Well I suppose there's the potential that I might work on an internal project with a funny name. Just today I got a meeting request to join AIOps release training for "Ultragirl", so yes the internal projects can be named silly things. I doubt there would ever be anything as overt as Splooge though. Even the wordplay on the company t-shirts never, ever approaches sexual, for good reason.

I own a Splunk t shirt that says "Drop Your Breaches" which is a liiiiiitle sexual

Drop Your Breaches is pretty PG, though. It's not even PG-13 which a lot of Splunk T-shirts are, like "take the sh out of IT" which I own..

I am a proud owner of "Run DMCA and make it less tricky" on a shirt, and "Taking the SH out of IT"

Man I miss Splunk

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Splunk is basically a really powerful log aggregation and parsing tool with a pretty friendly UI, in my experience at least

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Question for those that have worked from home with very young kids: how is it? Would you avoid it if you could?

Our daughter is 5mo. My wife will be off work for at least another 7mo, after which we're planning on doing a mix of daycare/babysitting while my wife works part time. I'm looking at two job offers, one is 100% remote, one is mixed WFH/in-office. I love WFH at the moment since I get to hang/help out with bub throughout the day, and I'm leaning towards the remote job. My rationale is that this is a pretty incredible opportunity to be around as much as possible while my daughter develops, and it would be insane for me to pass that up. But my wife just pointed out to me that in 6-12 months, I might be wishing I was able to go into work so that I could get something done without having a baby wanting to hang out with her super cool dad in his office all the time.

I'm sort of hoping that since my wife is off work, that it won't be too distracting, but she's worried that her days might turn into chasing after a crawling/toddling kid trying to keep her from disturbing me, which isn't really going to be nice for mum.

I dunno, what do you think, job thread? Is electing to work remotely with an infant child a recipe for frustration and resentment down the line?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    It just occured to me that I don't actually know what Splunk does as a company, other than generic IT.

Splunk, the product, provides that magical word O B S E R V A B I L I T Y.

Which in plain English means it's a search engine for your system logs.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I wonder if I have splunk at work…

I’d love to drop these logs there and not into my crappy Python scripts

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Ok “Run DMCA” is a tech nerd shirt I’d actually be ok with

I just got out of a meeting with one of our team members walking us through the current version of a thing we’re designing to replace and I’m just thinking a) this is fine actually outside of some stuff we can probably offload to backend and give a visual update to the design system, but b) if the god damn business manager had shown us this 6 months ago we’d have taken a very different design direction that could house all of these features and I’m so mad

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    It just occured to me that I don't actually know what Splunk does as a company, other than generic IT.

They charge a lot, mainly.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Question for those that have worked from home with very young kids: how is it? Would you avoid it if you could?

Our daughter is 5mo. My wife will be off work for at least another 7mo, after which we're planning on doing a mix of daycare/babysitting while my wife works part time. I'm looking at two job offers, one is 100% remote, one is mixed WFH/in-office. I love WFH at the moment since I get to hang/help out with bub throughout the day, and I'm leaning towards the remote job. My rationale is that this is a pretty incredible opportunity to be around as much as possible while my daughter develops, and it would be insane for me to pass that up. But my wife just pointed out to me that in 6-12 months, I might be wishing I was able to go into work so that I could get something done without having a baby wanting to hang out with her super cool dad in his office all the time.

I'm sort of hoping that since my wife is off work, that it won't be too distracting, but she's worried that her days might turn into chasing after a crawling/toddling kid trying to keep her from disturbing me, which isn't really going to be nice for mum.

I dunno, what do you think, job thread? Is electing to work remotely with an infant child a recipe for frustration and resentment down the line?

You need to be able to focus on your job, take phone calls, be on camera. If you have your own office then you could lock yourself in for all that. Young children understand rules like "when there's a hat on the door, you are not allowed in". I think that being home and working a job where they expect you to just be home is a great opportunity to spend more time with your family.

Now as with everything: you cannot predict the future. Maybe your kid is going to scream all day in their terrible twos, maybe they'll need some kind of medical help, maybe you or your partner's health deteriorates, maybe the kid is super relaxed. I'd take this opportunity to be home a lot at face value: you'll be a close-knit family with a lot of time spent together.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Splunk is the soun

I've only done it with a toddler which can be frustrating when they want to be loud and demanding. An infant in theory would be easier because they are less needy a lot of the time? but still could be taxing depending on what you do at home.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

I absolutely cannot get much work done from home because the two year old wants my attention constantly and our office area can't be locked easily.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Speaking from person experience (though it was my wife working from home) you'll be fine.

As long as your office is far enough away away from wherever your wife will spend most of her time with the baby that the noise won't distract you too much.

They won't be able to open your office door for a good while by themselves.

There will be occasions where your kid will burst into the room whilst you're on a call but that's part of the fun :smile:

Our son is 3 and knows not to disturb my wife whilst she's in the office unless we knock first and she answers.

Looking after a small child all day every day is extremely tiring and emotionally taxing. Having my wife being able to pop in for five minutes on a regular basis to help did wonders for my mental health.

Being on hand to help your wife when she needs a few minutes on her own will be invaluable.

Also for you it'll be nice, as you say you'll get to spend so much more time with them! You'll be able to go on walks on your break and having a relaxed morning together instead of commuting is lovely.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    I will say its integral for us when we were in the first part of covid to have our son at daycare most days as he could be really disruptive to work. Right now he's at school for most of the day, but the last two hours are extremely aggravating as far as what both of us want out of the other.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Now if only splunk made it easy to get the data out of the tool at scale. We were looking at sourcing some things out of it and apparently it would be roughly $2 million in infrastructure and splunk fees.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Yes, but they pay me really well so pls keep paying those fees, kthxbai.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Honestly it's largely going to be child, parent, and layout dependent. For our just turned one year old having them at home while we both tried to work became extremely untenable at 9-10 months, and probably really at 7ish months but was paper overed by the holidays.

We split 2 hour blocks with the working parent upstairs but the baby started hitting some really "stormy" periods of behavior and it got really difficult to work without feeling like you were dumping a screaming, aggravating baby on your partner.

Edit: hit post too early. Meant to add that with our two older kids we would probably have been able to swing it since they were more just rambunctious/energetic through that period of their development.

Carpy on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Just saw video of a different security company fucking up at what was my first long term static gig.

I'm just aghast at how badly dude fucked that up in an era of covid. Even if dude was a trouble maker, there were two of you, you had control. Grabbing on their shirt looked desperate, made yall look weak, and y'allz uniforms looked like night club bouncers, who probably would have been more competent.

Got half a mind to drive by with a sign saying, 'I was better!'

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    today feels like a monday

had some random person lie to me about a contractor being unsafe before i had even made it out of the parking lot

turns out they were the one being a total asshole losing their shit over nothing

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Am I the unsafe contractor?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Splunk isn’t real and it can’t hurt me

I got a pop up ad for it on something because of this thread so I know it must be real.

I'm sure it's in no way related to that time you forgot to turn Incognito Mode on.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Yes he said generic IT =p

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Boss lost his shit over what perceived to be an error by where I "changed the formula" in an excel sheet that made the cost of a major cost driver go up $1m.

Which he only saw because I was trying to show him something completely different that was the actual reason the cost driver would go up.

Which turned out not to be a problem because that part of the calculation was an assumption he had put in and didn't document or tell anyone about, so when I came to it later and saw the calculation we used for said cost driver was different from every other calculation I was confused and wanted to run it by him.

Stew for 4 hours, then he finally gets back in touch with me and I explain it to him and he understands. Then begins his usual patronizing tone of me "needing to slow down" in my work otherwise I make mistakes.

I do not know if I will actually be able to last until I get that senior title bump.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Am I the unsafe contractor?

No. I am the unsafe contractor.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Whelp. I've so far put my foot down, and not done work off-hours leading into this big migration this weekend, outside of mandatory stuff.

Friday: The servers I needed stood up were not ready until the end of the day. The person the ticket was assigned to died. Coworker tech who has been stepping up since other coworker got sick managed to get me 1, but I couldn't test it.

Monday: I can't SSH into the new server because they didn't restart the SSH service after adjusting some things. Coworker Tech is at the funeral, and wrecked all day. I'm perfectly fine giving up a day of prep.

Tuesday: I get access to the server. Before I can do much, I have to button up log aggregation for our big Authentication migration project that goes live on Wednesday. I may have done that work on Monday, can't remember. Near the end of the day, a vendor springs on us that a cert is going to be changing and I have to make sure we're ready for it.

Yesterday: Finally start deep diving into setting up the server. Make good progress, get licensing handled, get the basics installed. Have to overcome wrinkles from writing notes months ago and now needing to make sure it is right. Then, in the evening, the authentication switchover goes live... and everything works flawlessly. The logging especially helps troubleshoot initial problems.

This morning: Button up last bits with the big auth migration project. Get my DNS and SSL certs squared away for MY project. Get all the various bits and bobs deployed. Have a request from the Auth project that we're missing important logs - turns out I was shipping them to the wrong index, so we hadn't lost anything. Got that all fixed. Got migration of users from the old server to the new server done. Rushed to complete as much as I could before heading to a Counselor's session to explain how stressed I am.

It's been a pressure cooker... and I'm still not sure if I'll have everything ready by Sunday. But I will say this:

Every time one of the scripts I spent weeks working on.. just works... and I can deploy stuff in seconds, with a quick verification... it feels incredible. I don't want this high to end. I want this to be our standard of work going forward.

Oh, and with all the insanity lately, people are coming out of the woodwork to ask for stuff - secrets management, API management, improved logging, improved monitoring.. my efforts to drive devops adoption seems to be bearing fruit. Just.. give me a week folks, please?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm starting to think the guy I'm training opposite me might be a dumb ass.

Today was a day where we had to do a weekly thing to two of the machines. How we've been doing it up to now required us to take the wire off some pulleys to get slack. Getting the wire back on the pulleys was a fucking wrestling match and sucked. Come to find out they had a work around made that doesn't require you to do that, I just didn't know about it until I asked somebody this morning. So I was all excited to try it.

So we go to do the thing on the first machine and he... takes the wire off the pulleys. When I ask him what's he's doing he was like "this is quicker." I responded that no it probably wasn't. His response was a derisive "I like to get things done." Whatever, I moved on to do the other machine.

Last I checked he's still working on it. I've been done for close to half an hour.

I have discovered that when somebody tells me a thing the response "Oh, really? Let's see" is a great way to a) learn something b) find out how full of shit they are.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm starting to think the guy I'm training opposite me might be a dumb ass.

Today was a day where we had to do a weekly thing to two of the machines. How we've been doing it up to now required us to take the wire off some pulleys to get slack. Getting the wire back on the pulleys was a fucking wrestling match and sucked. Come to find out they had a work around made that doesn't require you to do that, I just didn't know about it until I asked somebody this morning. So I was all excited to try it.

So we go to do the thing on the first machine and he... takes the wire off the pulleys. When I ask him what's he's doing he was like "this is quicker." I responded that no it probably wasn't. His response was a derisive "I like to get things done." Whatever, I moved on to do the other machine.

Last I checked he's still working on it. I've been done for close to half an hour.

You really need to stand behind him and chime in repeatedly; think, like, NPC barks during an escort mission. "How's that 'getting things done' working out for you, chief?" "I finished mine an hour ago. Why haven't you finished yours?" "I think I know a way that would be faster." "Check out all this free time I have." "Yeah, I think you took the hard way."

Like a verbalized version of this image

*snip*

I was thinking more like a Shoresy heckle

Give your balls a tug ya' wire puller

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    For anyone looking at AWS stuff, this just popped Humble Bundle AWS

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Bullhead wrote: »

Pay money to a charity to get training materials so you can work for a giant corporation sounds like some real dystopian shit, but here we are.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    CURSE YOU SELINUX!!!!!!!!!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    This new job may be extremely unhealthy for me…rounded out the first week drunk on 3 out of 5 nights…….

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    This new job may be extremely unhealthy for me…rounded out the first week drunk on 3 out of 5 nights…….

Japan?

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but even the most typical salaryman Japanese companies usually wait until Friday or some other occasion. Admittedly this was an unusual week involving my onboarding Monday, board game night Thursday, then a security networking event tonight.
    Anyway, thank goodness for socialized medicine cause my liver’s gonna need it.

• Options
    Every year my company does a golf tournament for our asshole members and every year I absolutely hate anyone who calls me to inquire about it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I just finished getting enrolled in the neighboring library system's summer reading program. After I finished transferring over my reading logs from my library's Beanstack app, it turns out that I don't get a free book because I'm over 18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73GOfY0Ab9g

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm….

I should probably do this.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm….

I should probably do this.

I bought it for much the same - I've been procrastinating doing any kind of professional career advancement, and so many of the job listings I see these days want AWS...

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    oh my first friends of the library meeting is tomorrow. just in time to ruin elections and bylaws revisions.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I just finished getting enrolled in the neighboring library system's summer reading program. After I finished transferring over my reading logs from my library's Beanstack app, it turns out that I don't get a free book because I'm over 18.

Aren't all books from libraries free?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Aren't all books from libraries free?

As long as you never bring them back!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Turns out once you've read it, you can keep it forever in your head

one weird trick librarians DON'T want you to know!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Turns out once you've read it, you can keep it forever in your head

one weird trick librarians DON'T want you to know!

Careful, the Memory Palace approach usually leads to being institutionalized (Hannibal Lecter) or auto-de-fey'd (Giordano Bruno).

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai