As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Job] thread brought to you by WAP.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    I need to buy a new multitool, any recommendations WAP thread?

Hard to say without knowing what tools you need, but my go-to these days is the Leatherman Free P2. It’s got a neat magnetic detent system, so it’s easy to open and use one handed, and the handles are much more comfortable than most older style Leatherman, especially for extended use. It’s really just a fantastic tool.

If you don’t need pliers, my recommendation is the Victorinox Super Tinker. It’s basically the best tool load out on a SAK. Two blades, scissors(!!), can opener, bottle opener, flathead, real 3D Phillips driver, awl, toothpick, tweezers.

Pliers are pretty handy for me. If there's one thing I can get away without it'd be the scissors.

Hard to beat the Free P2, then! My only other suggestion is if you need something super tiny, the Leatherman Squirt PS4 is great. Not as robust as the Free P2, but it’s almost small enough to hang on a keychain, and it’s super cheap (under $40).

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Sorry guys. I had to weed the remaining animorph books. They hadn’t been checked out in six years.

Some of them can fetch a decent price on the second - hand market. I couldn't get them easily here, and had to go through thrift books to get most of the series. #51 I even had to get through eBay, after searching for a while.
    Good news is there's free copies online. Trying to limit my daughter's online time, though, do she got the physical copies

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Plus, some of them have flip book morphs in the bottom corners, and there's no way an ereader is going to be able to handle that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Sorry guys. I had to weed the remaining animorph books. They hadn’t been checked out in six years.

Even this one?
    sslc34pg9qeu.png

steam_sig.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Traitor.

I mean, let's be honest, while Animorphs is an absolute trip for what it did it's also not very good. Because of all the ghost writers quality could vary exponentially.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Even this one?
    sslc34pg9qeu.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvALBIfDB9c

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    So I...

I think I got offered a promotion today?

It was an email from my department director saying like "how would you feel taking on production coordinator responsibilities"

Implying that the person currently in that role has been seriously dropping the ball recently (she's been at the company 12 years or something and I'd noticed she seems like she's stopped giving a shit, like she arrives 90 minutes late every day) and when she makes mistakes it costs the company thousands of dollars and that I'm his choice to take on her responsibilities and that "this would be a leadership role"

He said we should meet about it if I'm interested. I said I was absolutely interested and would need that meeting to figure out how these new responsibilities would replace or add to my current role...

Anyway I've never been offered a promotion in my life and I was basically shaking with anxiety/excitement. I've only been at this company a year.

I'm meeting with my department director first thing on Monday morning about this. I'm still anxious!

And also like... really curious about the person currently in the role? Did she get fired? Is she being demoted? Did she resign? Are they doing that awful thing where they just quietly encourage her to resign? I don't know! She was in the office yesterday and nobody said anything...

Of course it's not necessarily a bad thing that I don't know, all this stuff should be confidential after all, it was unethical for my boss to mention her poor performance in the first place, but I'm CURIOUS. If they're firing her I would hope that it comes after an extended period of conversation with her about her performance and trying to find ways to improve it or change her role or help her do better since she's been with the company so long. I really really like my director and think he's a straight shooter, but the owner of the company is... kind of just a stereotype shady small business owner. 2021 was far and away the company's most successful year and he still acts as if all his suppliers are screwing him and all his buyers are cheap demanding monsters and all his employees are secretly wasting half of their day. During the pandemic he refused to let people work from home and the office was closed from March 2020 until June, when everyone either came back full time or were replaced. He has refused to wear a mask in the office the entire time, even while all the employees were reminded constantly they were required by law to wear one when out of their personal offices. I've definitely worked for worse company owners, but it's just disappointing when stereotypes like that are proven accurate.

Just throw out the statement, “I thought this was task was handled by XXX, how do they fit into the picture? Will I report to them?”

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Oh I mean I've been told in no uncertain terms that this work is being taken off of her and given to me. And I'm sure it'll all be made clear early in tomorrow's meeting and if not I'll ask about it, I'm just curious about the details.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    @Jedoc @Librarian's ghost and whoever the other librarians are and to whom I apologize for not remembering.

8W7wphF.jpg

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I guess it all depends on the android.

And the dick.

So, strong maybe.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    @Jedoc @Librarian's ghost and whoever the other librarians are and to whom I apologize for not remembering.

8W7wphF.jpg

5qpa8anwmz9t.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
    First in a new series eh? My curiosity is piqued.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

8W7wphF.jpg

5qpa8anwmz9t.png

The back end is where all the action happens

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    omg is that a cozy mystery series set in a button shop?!?!

because

yes please.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    omg is that a cozy mystery series set in a button shop?!?!

because

yes please.

It turns out the answer to this is yes?

Which leads me to new questions, such as: how did I not know this sub-genre existed?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    There are approximately 10000 cozy mysteries published a year and they are all about bakeries, button shops, grilled cheese cafes, Chinese restaurants and used book stores in sea side towns.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    My wife has a bunch of the related sub-genre: spice shop mysteries. With titles like Assault and Pepper and Killing Thyme. I think she just picked up a coffee shop themed one called Fresh Brewed Murder.

Bonus points for most of them having a bunch of recipes in the back. No idea if any of them are good but it's a fun touch

A friend of mine’s father in law is a prolific author of cozy mystery books about dogs. I feel like the dude drops like 3 a year.

Oh, buddy. There's a cozy mystery subgenre for everything.

Like at the S tier you've got all-time classics like baking, coffee shops, magic cats, quilting and librarians.

Way down at the skinny end of the bell curve you've got nomadic chili cook off competitors, anthropomorphic chickens, shark gods, clowns, and the dice game Bunco.

Cozy mystery writers have discovered that nobody can tell them what to do and they are cramming kegs of dynamite into the genre and blasting open whole new ragged niches for themselves.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I fell hard into a Knitting cozy mystery series set in Colorado. Main heroine is Kelly Flynn. Each book has at least 1 knitting pattern and 1 recipe in the back of the book.

There was another one I read set somewhere in I think New England, but I can't find the record of reading it.

Also a pretty good trilogy that I read set in an Amish village/community/tourist trap in Indiana.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Like at the S tier you've got all-time classics like baking, coffee shops, magic cats, quilting and librarians.

Way down at the skinny end of the bell curve you've got nomadic chili cook off competitors, anthropomorphic chickens, shark gods, clowns, and the dice game Bunco.

Cozy mystery writers have discovered that nobody can tell them what to do and they are cramming kegs of dynamite into the genre and blasting open whole new ragged niches for themselves.

Like I'm backing a kickstarter where the party is pretty much a grandmothers knitting/mystery club who solves eldritch mysteries and its setup is its very cozy.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I fell hard into a Knitting cozy mystery series set in Colorado. Main heroine is Kelly Flynn. Each book has at least 1 knitting pattern and 1 recipe in the back of the book.

There was another one I read set somewhere in I think New England, but I can't find the record of reading it.

Also a pretty good trilogy that I read set in an Amish village/community/tourist trap in Indiana.

If you know a handful of people who read and cook, I cannot recommend a Cozy Mystery Dinner Party highly enough. Everyone reads a cozy mystery with recipes in the back, then cooks one of the recipes and brings it to a potluck where you all talk about the books you read.

It was one of the best book club meetings we've had in about a decade, and my Chili Con Carnage was a rousing success.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    webguy20 wrote: »

Like I'm backing a kickstarter where the party is pretty much a grandmothers knitting/mystery club who solves eldritch mysteries and its setup is its very cozy.

Omg that sounds perfect.

I did talk a bunch of old shit about three-day weekends a while ago, but nearing bedtime the night before Memorial Day I think I owe three-day weekends an apology, this rules.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Omg that sounds perfect.

Yea check out Brindlewood Bay: Cozy Murder Mystery RPG. Its got 26 hours to go.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited May 2022
    3 day weekends are dope as fuck. Sundays are the actual best when work isn’t looming the next day. Who knew? All that potential and so rarely realized!

minor incident on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Omg that sounds perfect.

Yea check out Brindlewood Bay: Cozy Murder Mystery RPG. Its got 26 hours to go.

Thanks for the reminder! I asked my store to look into it, but I suspect it is too specialized so I need to do my own.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Bleh, someone recommended the SANS Reading Room to me as a place to read academic cybersecurity papers and the first essay I pick is riddled with typos, grammatical errors, and is written in the style I would have ripped apart when I taught English 101 to freshmen.

Oof.

Yes once again I worked myself to death
    I left work after 12+ hours and somehow got home. I slept hard. I know if I stay after today I will have nearly 7 hours of OT. I just have no idea why they have no idea how to create a team with what they have

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I left work after 12+ hours and somehow got home. I slept hard. I know if I stay after today I will have nearly 7 hours of OT. I just have no idea why they have no idea how to create a team with what they have

They don't need to because they have you to do all the work for them.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    I was going to make that post but Bri beat me to it.

I know I cover up for the fact they are idiots
    and I suffer for it

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Hard to say without knowing what tools you need, but my go-to these days is the Leatherman Free P2. It’s got a neat magnetic detent system, so it’s easy to open and use one handed, and the handles are much more comfortable than most older style Leatherman, especially for extended use. It’s really just a fantastic tool.

If you don’t need pliers, my recommendation is the Victorinox Super Tinker. It’s basically the best tool load out on a SAK. Two blades, scissors(!!), can opener, bottle opener, flathead, real 3D Phillips driver, awl, toothpick, tweezers.

Pliers are pretty handy for me. If there's one thing I can get away without it'd be the scissors.

iF tHeRe'S oNe ThInG I cAn'T dO wItHOuT iT's My CaPsLoCk MaCrO.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I've got a Gerber multitool that I replaced my pocketknife with on campouts, etc. Two blades (small and long w/ sawblade serrations), screwdrivers, pliers ... Love it.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

and I suffer for it

How many times do we have to tell you, these people aren't idiots. They are certainly lazy and cruel and lacking in compassion, but they aren't stupid, at least when it comes to what they're doing with you and your team. They know that they can shit all over you and you'll take it, so what motive do they have to do things differently?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

and I suffer for it

How many times do we have to tell you, these people aren't idiots. They are certainly lazy and cruel and lacking in compassion, but they aren't stupid, at least when it comes to what they're doing with you and your team. They know that they can shit all over you and you'll take it, so what motive do they have to do things differently?

The easiest way to explain it

You come here a lot, talking about the problems they don't fix. Staffing issues, department responsibilities. Demands of your time. But to them?

There is no problem.

Product comes in, product goes out, sales keep happening. Nothing beyond that is worth a thought to them, including your physical and mental decline.

As far as management is concerned, this is working as intended.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Bleh, someone recommended the SANS Reading Room to me as a place to read academic cybersecurity papers and the first essay I pick is riddled with typos, grammatical errors, and is written in the style I would have ripped apart when I taught English 101 to freshmen.

Oof.

Technology professionals are good at many things. Writing isn't typically one of them.

schuss on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    schuss wrote: »
    Technology professionals are good at many things. Writing isn't typically one of them.

If I have any superpower, then I think proofreading would be one of them. Typos just jump right off the page into my eyeballs. It was a bit of a running joke that we did our tech demos to update people on things going on, and I'd be sitting there submitting bug reports with typos before they were done talking.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

I'm intrigued by what a 'cozy' mystery is. Are they still solving murders or is it like who ate the last biscuits

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Porque no los dos