As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] One Ring Four Mana

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I remember one time at a table a long time ago someone resolved a Lignify on a commander and the player just scooped in response. Their deck had no way whatsoever to deal with an aura that bricked the commander. At the time I thought it was really funny, all they had to do was wait for a wrath to reset.

What's lignify

It's so sad Richard Garfield died of

Lignify
    1G
    Tribal Enchantment - Treefolk Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature is a 0/4 Treefolk with no abilities.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    who’s richard garfield

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Richard Garfield DEEZ NUTS

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I remember one time at a table a long time ago someone resolved a Lignify on a commander and the player just scooped in response. Their deck had no way whatsoever to deal with an aura that bricked the commander. At the time I thought it was really funny, all they had to do was wait for a wrath to reset.

What's lignify

Lignimyballs

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    LIGNIFY DEEZ NUTS

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    turtleant wrote: »
    LIGNIFY DEEZ NUTS

DEEZ NUTS are now a 0/4 Treefolk creature with no abilities.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    LIGNIFY DEEZ NUTS

DEEZ NUTS are now a 0/4 Treefolk creature with no abilities.

Well at least I got wood

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Why does that card need to be an alchemy? I don't understand.

If you fail to kill it then the card still robs the creature of all of its abilities forever. You couldn't do that outside of alchemy.

Sure you can.

It's clunky as hell and basically needs its own rules, but it's absolutely possible.

Now, if you told me perpetually follows it through zone changes, I'll take your word for it and this has to be alchemy, but my understanding is that's not how it works.

yeah sorry you've been misinformed about perpetual. perpetual follows a card whether it gets bounced, goes into the graveyard, returns to the library, etc. the only thing that clears perpetual is being sent to the command zone, because otherwise players would be really mad about commanders being countered

This is all true but also even if perpetually did work the way you thought it would while there are some old cards that do what you say it's been at least a decade since RandD decided that wasn't something they wanted in the game. You won't see a card that takes away an ability or makes changes to a card that you are supposed to remember after the end of the present turn.

You will see somewhat similar effects that mark the change with a kind of token but they're pretty skittish about limiting how they use that template.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    7-1 with this five color pile in Chromatic cube. Beat two storm decks because lol PW removal doesn't care about Niv, one mono-red aggro because lol 5+ sources of lifegain. My one loss was to a Mardu reanimator build because of T3 plaguebringer, T4 Luminous Broodmoth, t5 reanimator Liliana completely obliterating my board and hand. My last game was throwing out four PWs and a land off a Genesis Ultimatum for the instascoop.

Not shown: a wide variety of extra duals, fabled passage, and field of the deadm

484fuvj711zp.jpg

E: Thinking a bit more on how things played out, I think that The Wanderer was a little weak but probably fine (WW was hard for me, and value engines didn't tend to attack). Harrow was pretty bad but mostly due to poor luck as I somehow always drew 2+ basics so I could never cast it to actually ramp, since I picked lands "aggressively" (read: earlier than 10th pick). I probably should have dropped Keruga, Harrow, and Wanderer for Kinnan + the alchemy draw a card dork in the board, since I don't think I ever cast Keruga and naturally got down to 2-10 cards left in my deck in most victories an opponent didn't just scoop to an ultimatum anyway.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Skipping Cube to get some ranked play in, decided to go with a Midnight Hunt Quick Draft because Capenna. Grabbed The Celestus out of my first pack of mostly air, then found my way into a sweet balls-to-the-wall Vampire Aggro build.

Only cast Wake to Slaughter once, but it won me my 7th game.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Playing Historic Brawl, I don't understand why so many people with Mob Nixilis as their commander just... refuse to downtick him, ever?

Empty board? Better cast him and uptick, doesn't matter if he's not gonna ult and probably gonna get bounced or hit with removal.

Opponent has a flier on board that can kill Ob either way? Uptick to deal two, baby!

Opponent has a Young Pyromancer on board? Clearly, I should uptick Ob multiple times and get him attacked to death, instead of gumming up the ground.

I don't get it!

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I have very little interest in this new Alchemy set they're pushing, but I do appreciate that the face-planeswalker could be printed in paper if they feel like it

aa61e5c9-17da-4e75-9a69-a6d520d32646.jpg?1656398201

I also appreciate that against a creatureless (or 2-creature) deck, her ult can mill them out in one shot.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i've said it before and i'll say it again it annoys the crap out of me that they just made completely different cards for alchemy baldur's gate with the same art as cards in paper

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The weirdest thing about the Alchemy Tasha is that she's more paper printable than actual version; the only thing that's a bit rough is her -2 giving ward 2 with no indication, and "put a ward 2 counter on it" is almost-but-not-quite functionally identical and could work in the rules.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Playing Historic Brawl, I don't understand why so many people with Mob Nixilis as their commander just... refuse to downtick him, ever?

Empty board? Better cast him and uptick, doesn't matter if he's not gonna ult and probably gonna get bounced or hit with removal.

Opponent has a flier on board that can kill Ob either way? Uptick to deal two, baby!

Opponent has a Young Pyromancer on board? Clearly, I should uptick Ob multiple times and get him attacked to death, instead of gumming up the ground.

I don't get it!

ppl are bad at the game

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    One of the starkest examples of "people are bad at the game" is a thing that happened in a commander game I was playing. Some dude ramped up to 5 mana on turn 3 and cast an acidic ooze, targeting a basic land of a player that missed their third land drop, instead of the fucking Gilded Lotus that another player had. Like, if you're going to attack someone's mana, get the right card at least!

• Options
    Also, there is apparently a major bug with how WotC implemented matchmaking rating in Arena.

The TL;DR is that your (hidden) rating is inflationary, which massively broadens the distribution of ranks throughout the system. If you lose, it's treated as if you lost to your opponent, but if you win, it's treated as if you lost to yourself. This means that in matches where the favorite wins, extra ranking points are created, and in matches where the favorite loses, ranking points are destroyed. Since the favorite usually wins (duh), this creates constantly increasing ratings throughout the system. Instead of the system being (roughly) centered around a rating of 1500, where new players start, it's centered around 4500+.

There are a ton of knock-on effects to this. It explains the "they made mythic with that?" conundrum, because new accounts on a hot streak have an incredibly large and grindy gap before they reach the bulk of experienced players, so a competent first effort to make mythic, even with a F2P deck, has a far greater chance of succeeding than it should. After that, it becomes much harder (as expected). Tanking your rating intentionally by conceding a bunch shouldn't work in a competent system, but because the bug has made the player ratings distribution so wide, you can easily keep losing a ton of rating and head back to noob island. More minor effects include clumping all players together at the same initial rating when they get into mythic and allowing anybody with a 67% winrate to have unbounded rating increases over time. Theorycrafting, this may also partially explain the perception of Alchemy as having extremely long queue times, since if Alchemy is more attractive to less enfranchised players, players with months or years of rating inflation might have no viable matches despite a healthy newbie pool.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    admanb wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

I don't get it!

ppl are bad at the game

cards like mob nix especially get a certain player's brain going "it's inevitability! INEVITABILITY! THAT MEANS IT HAS TO HAPPEN. YOU CAN'T FUCKIN LOSE!"

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Huh, Tasha hard counters specifically the Locust God + Sage of the Falls combo. It's a two creature polymorph combo and it wins by attacking with a swarm of hasty 1/1s, so Tasha blocks the combo any turn she's upticked. Neat, if useless information.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Rules question: if a player has Grim Haruspex and Chasm Skulker out and the board is wiped, can the card draw of Haruspex make Skulker larger before it dies? My instinct was no because it can't get counters while already dead in the graveyard.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Vic wrote: »
    Rules question: if a player has Grim Haruspex and Chasm Skulker out and the board is wiped, can the card draw of Haruspex make Skulker larger before it dies? My instinct was no because it can't get counters while already dead in the graveyard.

Correct. Everything dies simultaneously, then triggers go on the stack and resolve.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

Correct. IIRC the Skulker won't even see you draw the cards because it will already be dead before the creatures-die-draw-cards trigger resolves.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Thanks alot!

• Options
    speaking of people being bad at the game, I've yet to play an opponent who realizes that you don't need to pay Ward costs when Lier is on the battlefield. Or if they're trying to kill my Graveyard Trespasser with Void Rend.

I mean, feel free to pay the Ward cost. You don't have to, but I appreciate it.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    My LGS had a Double Masters draft yesterday.

Entry was 75 bucks Canadian.

lol nope

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I regret to inform you all that BG Alchemy is, in fact, a banger of a format.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Getting back on my local scene, is one of those places where everybody plays Duel Commander, so working on that. Did got some stuff, want to see what I can get here before having to go to online stores to buy the bulk of the deck.

• Options
    Duel Commander? Like 1v1?

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Duel Commander is 1v1 with 20 life and a somewhat different 1v1-focused banlist. (e.g. Winota is banned as a commander while Uro is just banned altogether.)

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I'd always heard it called Canadian EDH if it was 1v1, but that might even have its own banlist or whatever. There's so many unofficial subcategories it's impossible to keep track of it all.

Also, fucking wild looking at that banlist. Urza is banned but Arcum Dagsson is fine?

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I'd always heard it called Canadian EDH if it was 1v1, but that might even have its own banlist or whatever. There's so many unofficial subcategories it's impossible to keep track of it all.

Also, fucking wild looking at that banlist. Urza is banned but Arcum Dagsson is fine?

Urza is a much better card than Dagsson. Daggson dies to bolt, has to tap and requires an artifact to sacrifice. Duel, like most non-rotating formats, is centered around creature removal. Urza:
    • Creates a body on ETB, that can be a VERY big body.
    • Makes your artifacts tap for colored blue mana. Starting with the body that he created.
    • Brings his own form of card advantage, if you happen to have the mana.

Like seriously Urza is fucking ridiculous.

TryCatcher on
  • Options

Canadian Highlander is not a Commander-based format, just a singleton one.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Pretty good Magical day for me today.

I came in 11th at a Modern format RCQ, and they were prizing out to top 16 so I made some cash.

Meanwhile my LGS held a series of Double Masters 2022 preview drafts last week (they’re WPN Premium, so they get to do that) and each draft entry got an entry into a raffle for a DM2 booster box, and I happened to win the raffle!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

I came in 11th at a Modern format RCQ, and they were prizing out to top 16 so I made some cash.

Meanwhile my LGS held a series of Double Masters 2022 preview drafts last week (they’re WPN Premium, so they get to do that) and each draft entry got an entry into a raffle for a DM2 booster box, and I happened to win the raffle!

Congrats, and I hope that box was loaded.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jgeis wrote: »

May you have better luck than when I opened 4 copies of Urban Evolution in Mystery Booster Sealed

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    May you have better luck than the time I opened two Hellriders at a sealed GPT.

• Options
    Tcgplayer is acquiring channel fireball and binderpos

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    For a free box I feel pretty alright with my pulls, can't complain. Bigger hitters were:

Borderless Mana Vault
    Mana Drain
    Liliana, the Last Hope
    Emiel the Blessed
    Force of Negation
    Foil City of Brass
    Oracle of Mul Daya
    Green Sun's Zenith

And I got a whole lot of rares in the $3-5 range, plus a good number of borderless commons/uncommons which I assume will rise in value eventually.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    O.o Didn't know Green Sun's Zenith was worth that much.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.