As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - Drossmire

1242527293043

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I will be handing it off, just to be clear. Arthur has no interest in a giant axe. Take it now, take it after, I don't care

    Yeah you can try that in a bit for sure. Right now remember it’s in your hand.

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Solomon calls out, his voice echoing throughout the room. "The Lord of this place is no more, slain by my compatriots! The curse of undeath is lifted, none more shall raise in this realm! If you wish to be free from your burden, I will release you. If you wish to cling onto your unlife, your hollow shell, then slink into shadows and leave us!"

    Let's see if any of these undead get scared or decide to focus on me instead. I'll also move next to Kirina for Interception purposes.

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Intimidation!

    Intimidation!:
    1d20+4 16 [1d20=12]

    kimefadingathedges
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    Solomon

    The battle is briefly silenced. You hear a squelch as a sword is pulled out of one undead’s back. It slumps to the coin covered floor. Then it starts up again.

    The Sentinels response:
    1. Turns to run out the open door.
    2. Becomes docile.
    3. Sheathes their sword and attempts to speak. Throat centuries dry, it simply cannot.
    4. Whips around and lops off another sentinel’s head, then sits down.
    5. Dead.
    6. Goes absolutely berserk at Solomon.
    7. Backs off from Simon and Arthur and begins trudging towards Solomon.
    8. You’re not sure what they’re about to do. But at least they’re not attacking anyone.

    The cackling undead escapes through the collapsed floor why everyone was distracted.

    90xl454v3lpz.jpeg

    Endless_Serpents on
    kimeAustinP0027mrpakufadingathedges
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    A bit busy, so short post

    Seeing the diamond holder undead start raging at Solomon, Kirina takes the opportunity to attack it in the back.

    Geth roll 1d8+2 for Warhammer damage

    Warhammer damage:
    1d8+2 7 [1d8=5]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Kirina

    You crack its spine, and it falls. It’s dead. You grab the diamond!

    kimeAustinP0027mrpakufadingathedgesnightmarenny
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Round 1: along with the movement, Alzav will Mage Hand the cat statue! If it's too late for all that - I just keep on moving.

    This round: Since #2 is docile I'm safe for the moment, I'll move 1 W, [item interaction] to grab the tiara, then move 5 NW or N (where is the exit exactly? towards that!), then Mage Hand the glowing bottle!

    Endless_Serpents
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Given Solomon's actions.... If your character would want to get greedy, I think now's a good time to do so. I bet we can scavenge a few more things before we gotta leave. Not TOO long before the fire or a new surprise or whatever, but more than it looked just a bit ago?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Simon and I can hopefully evade these two near us and head up right side to exit. Especially since it seems one is focused on Solomon

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Gruush will use movement this turn to crouch-walk thirty feet towards the tapestry and the fallen exit. He will use his action to open up his pack, and shovel as much gold as he's safely able to inside. Putting a roll here in case one's needed to determine the size/quality of Gruush's Christmas-in-June gold haul (guessing a Strength Check on this one)

    Geth roll 1d20+2 Don't-Mind-If-I-Do

    Don't-Mind-If-I-Do:
    1d20+2 18 [1d20=16]

    kimeAustinP0027ZomroEndless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Alzav

    You grab it all.



    Gruush

    You grab 180 gold coins. As you jump down through the shattered floor, you land heavily. Not as you usually do.



    Adventurers

    The last enraged Sentinel is tackled from behind by another. You escape!

    Black smoke begins to billow into the treasury, just out of view.

    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers

    The only items you did not steal were the coffer—small, granite, locked—and an ocarina.

    Leaping from the treasury as the fire approaches you land before a staircase leading down the an elevator. Warding symbols are on fire, forcing you to stamp them out as you approach. Stepping onto the elevator, it leads not merely down vertically, but is dragged back below the castle until it comes to a stop before a rapid river.

    Beside the river is an empty man-made half-pipe. Holding back the river is a dam with five seams that look as if they could be moved by unseen mechanisms. On the shoreline is a tall plinth with a key hole… Gruush! You have the key!

    A stone slab nearby is smashed, but part of what was written on it is legible. It is directions. By sailing along the man-made waterway, you will… go to a land untouched by the stars. By sailing the rapid river, you will go to the kingdom… of splendour? No name to be found amongst the rubble.

    Only one boat remains near the river. It is small and fragile. Light enough for four to carry.

    qyt1auqg8y3l.jpeg

    mrpakuZomroAustinP0027kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    First things first, Arthur would give Simon the axe.

    Looks like we have to decide man-made path or rapid river. Man made sounds potentially safer, but not sure I like the no stars mention. Almost sounds like a cave. I'd lean river.

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I'm gonna guess that no one has water vehicle proficiency? We'll be doing it untrained, but we could risk the rapids.

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    How much is the diamond worth?

    This isn't the same river from before, is it?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Alzav would be in favor of moving towards the belfry to recover before continuing exploration, if that's possible. Directionally, can we tell where they would lead as far as we are familiar with the area / mapping? It's unclear to me if the maps are for us or for the characters.

    l8j8t7fjzp9z.png

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 12
    My thought is that the journey to the Land Without Stars will be safer down the carved channel, but the destination itself much more dangerous, and vice versa for the rapid river and the Kingdom of Splendor. Also, No-Stars probably takes us deeper into the earth, whereas the Kingdom might be aboveground or tied somehow to the aboveground

    Gruush (and me) would probably want to return to the surface and safety ASAP just to get a feel for where they're at first, but way down here that might not be possible for a long while

    mrpaku on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    Arthur

    You physically cannot give Solomon the axe.



    Kirina

    Geography is hazy this far underground, but connecting dots leads you to believe this is the river deep within the chasm in front of the castle.



    Adventurers

    You’ve heard mention of a place untouched by the stars before, or words to that effect—where the belfry is. You’ve not heard of any ‘kingdom of splendour’ on your maps.

    The river is heading west. The man-made channel heads north-west.

    You all have in-character maps that are pretty much like the one I’ve shown you.

    Endless_Serpents on
    kimemrpakuAustinP0027
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Oh and the diamond is worth 5000 gold. Getting that price from someone is a different matter, but it’s easily the most expensive thing any of you own.

    kimeAustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oh. Oh no.

    Arthur tries to place the axe he found down, the intent to be handing it off to someone like Simon who could actually use it. But, in the moment, he finds he physically can't. This is a problem. He is silent on it for the moment, not wanting to distract the group.

    "If the stone is accurate, then it seems like the north-west passage leads back to the Belfrey" he says aloud. "It seems we need to decide if we head back, or follow the river into the unknown."


    Is this, can't physically let go of it from my hand, or have the compulsion to hang onto it, but can figure out how to stow it across my back type of issue?

    I am now extremely biased, but voting to return to the Belfrey.

    mrpakukimeZomro
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh and the diamond is worth 5000 gold. Getting that price from someone is a different matter, but it’s easily the most expensive thing any of you own.

    That is uhh.... like, an order of magnitude more than I expected lol. Nice

    Kirina thinks for a moment. "Perhaps it might be best to see where the river leads? Now we know way back to the belfry if needed, but it would be difficult to find this river in the future."

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Returning to the Belfry is a good idea. We're all pretty out of resources at this point and I'm guessing that it'll be tough to long rest in Drossmire.

    nightmarenny
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "I think that if we take the rapid river, we would have a much more difficult time returning against the current, and it takes us farther from a place of rest that I think we could all use. I vote we return to the belfry, then we can consider returning here on the boat and taking the rapid course as one of our options to explore next."

    Alzav votes belfry

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I want everyone to know, if this doesn't work out well, that I will find a way to make Axe Wizard work. It may get messy, and people may die, but it will probably end with me selling the rights to CW, so I think we can all agree that it's a net positive.

    kimemrpakunightmarenny
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    "I have some healing spells left. I can fix our worst wounds, and then we can continue down the river. The Drossmire is undoubtedly a dangerous place, but it also holds some semblance of a society. Surely we can find somewhere to rest and restock there?"

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    "I agree wif' Alzaz en' this one," Gruush says, nodding in appreciation to the Sorcerer. "Were a rough time through Oudru. Should regroup, chart out this new route en' our map, make sure Nan an' her Snail are still doing well. An'," The Rogue adds, shaking his pack up and down with both arms and letting the jingle rattle out happily. "Wouldn't mind stowing this bit..."

    Gruush votes the Belfry. He needs to unload all this gold and could use the rest, and personally I'm wondering if the shop's updated (Gruush needs him a new distance weapon) or if anyone new has shown up at home base!

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    "But... this could be a way to enter the Drossmire in secret. If we're going to travel there at some point anyways, it may be better to do so on a less well-known path, no?"

    I'm personally not actually expecting to convince anyone, but Kirina is sure trying :P
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Gruush votes the Belfry. He needs to unload all this gold and could use the rest, and personally I'm wondering if the shop's updated (Gruush needs him a new distance weapon) or if anyone new has shown up at home base!

    Per the OOC summaries, my expectation is we won't be able to buy much at all at the Belfry. The Drossmire is the place to go to get us a shop.

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Gruush could be easily, easily swayed to go spend his money elsewhere right now. I'm playing this negative Wisdom score for all it's worth RP-wise, and the dude just wants to get paid and armed and doesn't really care who's doing it

    I'm willing to switch to Drossmire if anyone else is on board

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    You guys are going to force me to Axe Wizard aren't you? I'm going to have to figure out a Wizard/Fighter mismash horror of a class.

    Fine. Let's rock.

    I'm up for whatever people vote.

    kimemrpaku
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    You guys are going to force me to Axe Wizard aren't you? I'm going to have to figure out a Wizard/Fighter mismash horror of a class.

    Fine. Let's rock.

    I'm up for whatever people vote.

    Yessss AxeWizard companion. Exactly the fate we all thought Arthur would end up at from your very first post! "Yes, that's a future AxeWizard in the making..."

    Realtalk: the Belfry is probably the better choice. It's just not the choice Kirina is going for now.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    Proper update in 4 hours.

    Arthur must hold the axe. They can even trade it between hands, but once held you’d have to break his fingers to make him let go.

    No curse is permanent, and the axe has a clear means of removing the curse. Something to find out in time.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "I, ah, guess I should share more." Arthur's voice chimes in again. He lifts his hand, the one clearly gripped around the axe. "I can't let this go."

    He shakes it a little bit, wiggling the axe around, his hands clearly gripped around it. "I want to. Well, I mean, part of me wants to. But, there's now another part that can't fathom not holding it. And I think that part is in control of my hands."

    Maybe a little IC convo to be had about where we go next.

    kimemrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Gruush approaches Arthur and ponders the strange enchantment of the Axe up close, scratching his beard with quiet curiosity. "Hrrrrm..... nasty, mettling-magics," he spits in disgust, careful to keep his distance from the hand. "Always the tricks-n-traps, even mongst' the knicks-an-the-knacks..."

    Carefully looking over the boy's knuckles and wrist, the Rogue slowly withdraws one of his bone daggers. "Pretty sharp," he brags."Could probably pop ya' free, if ya'd like!" Gruush offers helpfully to Arthur. "Ye' ever hear of a degloving*? Real quick in' en' our, maybe...ten minutes or so, and I could get ya loose!"

    "Course'", the Rogue offers clinically, "We'd need to get ya' somewhere safe n' sterile right away so ye' didn't bleed to death after. An' ye might not be able ta use that hand the same, fer' a few...well, ever again, maybe..."

    * NSFW! Don't look this up unless you have a strong stomach for body horror!

    kimeEndless_Serpents
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    Oh my goodness Gruush what is that suggestion!? :D

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Look, sometimes, in Gruush's profession, you find yourself caught in a bear trap. Now at that point, you've got some options you need to start looking at...

    kime
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'm curious if we would potentially be able to level up if we chose not to return to the belfry.
    If the answer is yes that will change the math for next time we face this choice. This time I have a ball and chain I need to bond with.


    "I must vote returning as well" Simon sighed "I would suggest we press on under most circumstances but our wounds are great."

    He then turned to Arthur "Axe-wizard has a ring to it, cursebrother"

    Quire.jpg
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "I'm not sure I know exactly what that is." Arthur responds slowly, "But, I'm not sure I like the suggestion." He takes a few steps back from Gruush.

    "I can figure this curse out, if given time. I'm sure I can understand the magics." Arthur peers down at his closed hand, almost studying it for a moment. "But, no thank you, I will find another way."

    mrpaku
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Alzav peers at the axe. "Perhaps on the boat, if the passage is calm, we can begin examining it and see if we can determine what it wants."

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    "I'm not sure I know exactly what that is." Arthur responds slowly, "But, I'm not sure I like the suggestion." He takes a few steps back from Gruush.

    "I can figure this curse out, if given time. I'm sure I can understand the magics." Arthur peers down at his closed hand, almost studying it for a moment. "But, no thank you, I will find another way."

    Gruush shrugs inoffensively, replacing the dagger into the holster at his hip and clearly oblivious to his menace. He doesn't seem to notice Arthur slowly backing away, and his eyes peer our in a friendly manner from beneath the Mask. "Hey, suit yerself'! Offer's still on the table...lemme know if ye' change yer mind, or once ye' find yerself' haffin to be holding that thing with one arm in the 'loo!"

    He pulls the key from within a pocket next to his neck, and presents it to the group. "*Dam Key*!" Gruush says, chortling momentarily at the childish joke. He clears his throat now, all-business. "So... what'll it be, me friends? A pleasant return to the old...or joyous ride onto the new?"

    Sounds like the group is still leaning towards returning to the Belfry for at least a Long Rest of time before moving forward

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    "Arthur The Axe-Wizard" Simon says making a gesture with his hand as if reading the words from a sign in front of him. "Seems a good name. That's someone you write stories about.".

    nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    AustinP0027Endless_Serpents
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    "I've heard about cursed weapons before, though I've never seen one myself. Some enchant curses onto an object in order to punish those who take them. As to why they go to the effort just to cause suffering, I cannot understand." Solomon looks at Arthur and the axe. "It doesn't look to be harming you, lad. Inconvenient? Absolutely. But at least you have a weapon to defend yourself with should you be without your spells. And perhaps the Wise Sage back at the Belfry might have some insight into this curse."

    As the group ponders their choices for travel. "I have used up the favors that my goddess has granted me for the day, though I myself am still in fighting condition. I'm tired and my body aches, but that's nothing new to me. I've been more exhausted before during long forced marches, but I admit never in an environment as strange and hostile as this one. I think it wise to regroup, rest and get our strength back before venturing elsewhere, but I am fine to keep going if we so choose."

    Zomro on
    kimemrpakuAustinP0027
Sign In or Register to comment.