As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - End Times

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Initiative

Hey, nat 20!

Initiative:
    1d20-1 19 [1d20=20]

Zomro on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    "Impossible." The giant's final word hangs in the air.

Alzav quietly leaves his hiding place, following the woman north and west. She barrels through the seething undead blocking the path, knocking it to the ground, and Azlav comes up behind it as it shrieks on the ground. He reaches out a long, gaunt arm, and pink electricity crackles from his fingertips in a cascade upon the horror's spine.

If I have movement left, I'll continue towards the ladder.

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Initiative
    Geth roll 1d8 for Shocking Grasp (plus No Reaction)
    Geth roll 2d6 for Surprise Attack (assuming my spell hits before this undead is able to act, whether in a surprise round or round 1)

Initiative:
    1d20+2 12 [1d20=10]
    Shocking Grasp:
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]
    Surprise Attack (assuming my spell hits before this undead is able to act, whether in a surprise round or round 1):
    2d6 4 [2d6=2, 2]

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Welp!

Geth roll 1d20+1 for initiative

initiative:
    1d20+1 16 [1d20=15]

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    @Zomro
    @nightmarenny

Feel free to take your turns, you’re acting much faster than your foes. That’s me for the night so… to be continued!

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "Doesn't seem like we have much choice now. Us or them." Arthur says as his hand starts working a spell.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Initiative

I think you would just do a 1d20+1d4-1 for that.
    Here's a handy link that Glal provided for me in paku's game.
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/44109695/#Comment_44109695

Initiative:
    1d20+2 14 [1d20=12]

• Options
    We could copy + paste that into the OP for future reference. That'll come in handy, especially if I take the Great Weapon Fighting Style

Based on the last updated map, it looks like there's an undead near Arthur which could AoO him if he moves. Going to take my turn based on that

Solomon acts quickly, his combat instincts still with him even after all this time. As the undead begin to stir, he notices one nearby Arthur readying itself to strike. Solomon charges forward and presses his shoulder into the creature, attempting to shove it away. Solomon once again calls to Arthur and Simon, "Go quickly! I'm right behind you!"

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Athletics

If successful, I'd like to push the creature away from Arthur so he can be free to move away. If he's clear, then Arthur will use his remaining movement to move north towards the archer platform. Let me know if this action allows use of Creative Momentum, in which case I can stun the creature and we'll be free to move on

Athletics:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I believe the undead is actually near me as I am the yellow hat. Nevertheless, Simon will do one of two things. If Solomon's push fails he'll make an attack roll against the undead to test its defenses. I'll roll that attack now just in case.

If Solomon succeeds in pushing the undead he'll follow Solomon's plan moving north four squares. That should prevent Solomon from being left behind and allow Simon to be between his companions and the armored undead.

Geth roll 1d6+3 to hit the undead, maybe

to hit the undead, maybe:
    1d6+3 6 [1d6=3]

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Oh right, the hat is Simon and the ring is Arthur. My bad. Will still do the shove to try and get us all clear

Zomro on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    We don’t roll to hit, it just hits. Same with the monsters, though

Edit: That might just be your damage maybe? That would make more sense if so since you didn't roll a d20

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Minion roll 2d20k1-1 for advantage syntax
    Minion roll 2d20l1+3 for disadvantage syntax
    or just use Austin's reference above

advantage syntax:
    2d20k1-1 13 [2d20k1=[14], 7]
    disadvantage syntax:
    2d20l1+3 12 [2d20l1=[9], 16]

discrider on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    "Impossible." The giant's final word hangs in the air.

Alzav quietly leaves his hiding place, following the woman north and west. She barrels through the seething undead blocking the path, knocking it to the ground, and Azlav comes up behind it as it shrieks on the ground. He reaches out a long, gaunt arm, and pink electricity crackles from his fingertips in a cascade upon the horror's spine.

If I have movement left, I'll continue towards the ladder.

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Initiative
    Geth roll 1d8 for Shocking Grasp (plus No Reaction)
    Geth roll 2d6 for Surprise Attack (assuming my spell hits before this undead is able to act, whether in a surprise round or round 1)

I don't recognize "Surprise Attack," what's that coming from?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    @kime per Endless's race requirements, I appear human --- but statistically resemble a bugbear.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    @kime per Endless's race requirements, I appear human --- but statistically resemble a bugbear.

I've never played with a Bugbear character before, huh!

Steam profile
  • Options
    Adventurers

Since you were all tentatively moving north in your narrations, you’ve all been pushed up a bit, in addition to a bit of extra movement from Solomon’s heroic tackle!

Kirina

A quick peak onto the archery platform reveals a long dead archer sat down, head in their own lap. Not much up there but a bow and some quivers placed around so the archer could access them while pacing back and forth. Behind you, an unnatural zap of spell-craft and a brief flash of pink light.

Solomon

First to act, you charge like a bull! You hear a gods awful crack as you connect with the wretch’s chest, and soon see you’ve torn it apart! It’s sodden boots and leathery legs stay standing up to it’s knees, but the rest of it collides with the chalk wall of the valley!

It is down. It can only attack if you move adjacent to it.

This sudden action has allowed your new found allies an opportunity to move.

Alzav

You pounce on the struggling undead, unleashing Hell upon it! You are briefly illuminated in violet light, your eyes lit from within also. Was that maniacal laughter? Surely just the wind. The corpse writhes and kicks as you walk by it, taking time to grow silent. You have slain the undead menace!

A quick glance reveals at this particular undead was wearing a crude arcane sigil on a piece of string. Its stick is in fact a poorly made magic foci. It might have been able to cast spells, however rudimentary—magic missile perhaps? Nothing too potent.

Simon

You draw your blade a moment too late, Solomon has barrelled the undead away! Heading immediately north, you see a crazed man fry a different undead with the magics of a distant land. Do you give him a thumbs up? You should probably give him a thumbs up.

Arthur

Half carried north by the commotion of your fellows, you’re free to act.

Gruush

Is a sprint on the cards? Or will you take on the towering knight?

• Options
    jih16jmq909l.jpeg

I think this won’t be too far from your mind’s eye.

• Options
    Non-canon. Thought it might be fun to guess the party’s heights. Tall Alzav and smallest knight Simon is hilarious to me for some reason.
    rrb6rbqhws4h.jpeg

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Arthur rushes forward, holding a spell as Solomon pushes the undead that was near them back, giving them all a chance to quickly move. He doesn't spend much thought on following the group, for the moment it was a tentative alliance against the clear threat the undead are now posing. Still, as they move ahead he can't help but look over at the towering knight, wondering what action it might take.

As he does, he looks past it, seeing the crouching figure who was still separated from the group on the other side of the knight. "Hey!" he yells out, "You there, come on, hurry!"

Don't have an action Arthur would take because no way he's attacking the knight first, but Gruush is still on the other side so he's hoping to draw the group's attention to that

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Just got back to my laptop/ the forums/my house after a long plane trip- getting caught up on this in the next hour, possibly less!

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Could Gruush go NW x1, taunt the Knight and drop x10-15 ball-bearings from my Burglar's Kit on that space, then travel x2 NE and x1 NW (20 feet total movement), attempting to Hide behind the bush immediately afterwards (or right on the next turn if I've run out of actions)?

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Do I still have an action before the enemies get a turn? I've forgotten where the round started, so not sure if me sprinting here was my action or such.

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I agree that it would be helpful to see where we are in the order - Surprise or where inside initiative, etc (even if we post a bit out of order for pbp reasons!)

@kime neither have I! I've wanted to try a bugear ranger [oops phone make early post] but I thought it rotor be fun to try for this character.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Sorry gang, on my phone and busy. I’ll remember to put in an initiative order next time. Go kime go! Then it’ll be all the undead and finally the knight..

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Kirina climbs to the top of the archery platform, pulls out her light crossbow, and fires at the closest undead (just south of her).

Geth roll 1d8-1 for crossbow damage

crossbow damage:
    1d8-1 2 [1d8=3]

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Kirina

With a dull thunk, you nail the rotten thing between its shoulder blades! It turns around and begins to swing a stick in a slow circle above it’s head. There’s a brief crackle of light blue energy. Magic missile, about to be cast poorly.

Though it doesn’t register the pain you’re certain it has little left in it. Another hit, even a weaker one, will do it in.

Gruush

The entirely of your complex manoeuvre is completed without issue because it’s very cool!

To all of you, bear with me, I’ll be at my pad and able to update the map/have the enemy take their turns in about 4 hours.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    No problem!
    So i don't forget: Azlav will pick up the focus you described, whenever he is able.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    The Belligerent Undead

With a wet, guttural bark an undead scrambles towards Solomon, producing the hilt of a sword with which to take a crack at him. It swings with surprising strength, but it’ll be a bruise, not spilt blood beneath your attire. Solomon, you suffer 3 damage. That’s undead number 1.

Bolt still firmly lodged in its back, another undead, hooded and grim beneath Kirina’s vantage, lets loose a bright dart of arcane force! Pain jolts through her right arm! A second sputters into being, then quickly fizzles away as the undead suddenly starts coughing something terrible. Kirina, you suffer 5 damage. Undead 2.

You all hear the quick steps of some other undead, lighter perhaps, broken chainmail jangling and shields being bashed by axes. Undead 4 and 5.

Geth roll 1d6+1 for Swing Batter

Geth roll 1d4+1 for Magic Missile

Weathered Knight

Turning sharply, the knight chases after Gruush, or at least, in Gruush’s general direction before he fades from view. His old helm rusted to his head, he can hardly be blamed for such poor vision.

The knight steps hard across the ball bearings, tumbling backwards, then rolling hard on his side! His vicious looking ball and chain tangles around his waist, leaving him prone! He can do naught but huff and curse, his words unrecognisable.

For good measure, I’ll throw 2 damage his way. Pride damage.

Geth roll 1d20 for Dexterity saving throw

ap2j9zud7f2r.png

Swing Batter:
    1d6+1 3 [1d6=2]
    Magic Missile:
    1d4+1 5 [1d4=4]
    Dexterity saving throw:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Initiative Order
    1. Solomon
    2. Simon
    3. Kirina
    4. Arthur
    5. Alzav
    6. Gruush
    7. Undead
    8. Knight

Given that you’re all faster than the rotting undead, I’d just go for it gang! I’ll blend the outcome of your actions together in my reply anyways.

• Options
    The sound of an undead knight in black armour larger than any man tumbling over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUL5w91dzbo

• Options
    Azlav sees the several others in this area, and moves to support the woman who had moved forward alone. He ignores the barely standing undead, slinking past it to fire southwards, where another of the creatures is shambling forward to encroach on this area.

Geth roll 1d10 for Firebolt vs #4
    31gqvad7s3f9.png
    Non-canon. Thought it might be fun to guess the party’s heights. Tall Alzav and smallest knight Simon is hilarious to me for some reason.
    rrb6rbqhws4h.jpeg

Ha! I had missed this earlier from my phone.

Firebolt vs #4:
    1d10 3 [1d10=3]

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I do have Heavy Armor Master that reduces non magical Slashing, Bludgeoning or Piercing weapon damage by 3 while wearing heavy armor (my chain mail). If you think that makes me too tanky, I could swap it for another STR half feat if you want. Figured it would be a good choice for early game, as it will fall off later as enemies deal more damage or have magical attacks. I was eyeing Slasher, as that's a cool feat (from the Tasha's sourcebook)

Solomon takes the undead's strike to the shoulder. A glancing blow, it'll heal. The undead will be dangerous in numbers, Solomon has seen enough battle tested warriors defeated by large enough groups of recruits. Solomon swings his greatsword at his attacker. His technique was a tad rusty, but the blade found purchase in the undead's flesh. He calls to Simon, "There are more coming from the west! Cover Arthur and head towards the platform."

Solomon sees the ancient knight take a fall. The masked figure lured him into some kind of trap. A cunning strategy. That will hopefully buy us some time.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Damage!

I'll stay in place if the undead is still alive, otherwise I'll move to the space to the left of Arthur (purple ring, I remember it now!). Allies should be able to move through my space and I'll hold that spot to protect Arthur and Simon's backs. And I can also potentially be close enough in case things go sideways for Gruush with the knight

Damage!:
    2d6+3 8 [2d6=2, 3]

Zomro on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    In muted silence for a long, silent while, Gruush had just come to a decision on the Tall Woman's offer of employment along that hill, stroking his beard anxiously: "Very-well,-far-as-I-can-tell!....We can trade...stories!, then! A-fail, a-trail! A "'Lie-within' the-Elder...Go-d's...Tale"...?...."

Gruush trails off, as he finally realizes she's already gone; the tall woman long departed across the way, opposite the Watcher upon the hill. Some of the valley's other strangers now stand around her, each looking down on the valley below with varying degrees of concern. Gruush looks at each face in turn...most especially Kirina, and then the young wizard anxiously coaxing him over, nervous of the Watcher's sudden pacing. Beneath his mask, Gruush's lips curl up into a satisfied grin, feeling a familiar sense of deja vu at the situation:

Ahhh, the crouching man thinks to himself, here is the part when I show my worth, then! His hand falls once more upon the beard, petting it now frantically as he wills himself into frenzy. At last, with a final, gasping sigh, the crouched figure turns to Kirina and Arthur, and Gruush shoots them both a jovial thumbs up! , winking unseen from beneath the mask before approaching the knight...

Gruush runs to the foot of the hill, one hand to his mouth and another digging at the string to his burglar-bag within his pocket. "Oiii! Churl! Suck an' egg, fuck-o! Reject! Ya' tragic, worthless lump of spoiled milk!" The string pulls free, and a handful of ball bearings splash at Gruush's feet! With a final rejoinder of, "An' yer' Master laid in shit!", Gruush disappears beneath his mask and cloak, and vanishes somewhere around the bush to the north of the fight...

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Nope! You’re allowed to be a badass. This isn’t the toughest fight you’re going to face. This wasn’t even supposed to be ‘the fight’...

Solomon

You cleave the undead from neck to collarbone, slamming it against the nearby willow tree. Hundreds of little leaves begin to fall over you and the now silent corpse.

Shifting your footing a pace beside the young wizard you see a skeletal figure with a shield and axe running north. Ahead of them is a hooded undead, fitfully coughing.

Alzav

Flesh barely remains on its bones. Taut sinew, but little muscle. Yet, it has a fiery will, much more than the one you’ve passed by. You can’t help but flinch at its fearsome sprint—but you set it ablaze regardless!

The skeletal warrior goes up like dry wood! Despite total immolation, it is still running north, though you have most certainly become the target!

No matter your actions towards undead 4, it will die by the end of its turn.

• Options
    Gruush

Gruush is totally insane.

You have earned one Totally Insane Die, which is a d6. Add this d6 to a skill check when you intend to do something totally insane.

• Options
    Gruush is like an assassin jester and I am all about it.

Since I killed the undead and moved position I'm just gonna add the flavor text for that movement

Pulling his blade free from the undead, Solomon moves to the other side of Arthur. "I'll protect your backs." Hefting his greatsword into position Solomon calls out, "I am Solomon Felhand, Sword of Retribution! Hear me, undead! Face me if you wish to be put to eternal rest!"

• Options
    edited April 2022
    The image of Gruush just standing there thinking and muttering to himself while Kirina/everyone else has moved on is greatly amusing me :D

As amusing as it would be to jump into the fray, we've got a nice little vantage point here so I'm going to continue to enjoy it I think.

Edit: I forgot she got shot here too. Adding this blurb: Kirina didn't even flinch when the magic missiles came her way. It was a weak spell, with barely any willpower behind it, that much was immediately obvious. And so she was too late to react when one of them suddenly swerved and stung her right in the face. Max damage die roll will do that haha. Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch. That was.... probably avoidable...

Kirina will load another crossbow bolt and fire at the barely-alive undead (ooooo 7 damage, bet this guy gets splattered :D ). Then, she just keeps an eye out on the battlefield to watch how her fellow new arrivals are doing... While everyone has a common enemy (or so it seems) right now, this would also be the perfect time for "accidental" collateral damage. She's mildly curious if anyone here will take advantage of that.

Geth roll 1d8-1 crossbow damage

crossbow damage:
    1d8-1 7 [1d8=8]

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Kirina

The bolt fires true, diving through the hooded undead’s left eye and down into its jaw. It crumples to the earth.

As it does so, you gain a clear view of a brilliant wave of orange light. A warrior shaped blaze is running towards the sorcerer that lit it!

• Options
    Solomon strikes down the nearest undead, removing the closest threat that was worrying Arthur. Looking around the battle, the threats were dropping. That is, except for the large knight. Arthur locked his focus on the large being, deciding now was a good time to prove to everyone here he could hold his own. Raising his hand, he conjured an orb, picturing the green tint of acid. It forms silently, and he extends his hand outward, sending it flying into the great knight.

Casting chromatic orb, acid version, on the giant knight.

Geth, roll 3d8 for Acid Orb

Acid Orb:
    3d8 14 [3d8=2, 6, 6]

• Options
    Arthur
    The orb descends with a splash and spreads thinly within every crevice and break in the knight’s helm. You hear first the psst of steam, then his roars of pain! The smell is vile. With no defence against such a threat, the knight is forced to tear off his helm, throwing it aside.

I’ll spare you the details, use your imagination for an undead that has worn a helm for ages and pulls it off on account of acid.

Blinded and shaken, the knight lurches, hanging on by a thread. He shifts onto one knee. He grips his chain. He’s still going to try to get up and fight!

• Options
    As is my whim:

Anyone who engages the knight can simply coup de grâce his ass; do a cool description for an Inspiration die. On his turn I’ll flip a coin (1d2) to see if he hits a target he’s going for.

To be concluded tomorrow!

• Options
    @zomro I could be mistaken, but I think that feat reduces nonmagical damage *TO* 3, not just *BY* 3.

@mrpaku 🤣