As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - Drossmire

1303133353643

Posts

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    You all can carry and Arthur will be on watch, plus throw some Mold Earth's out to try and make the trip a little easier.

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'll add my voice to the carry option.

    Quire.jpg
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers

    With Arthur and Alzav taking the lead, the rest of you lug the boat down the hills at the side of the waterfall.

    As you approach the bottom of the waterfall, you see several hooded figures heading away from you in a rough line. Each is armed with a poorly kept sword. The one at the front of the line is blowing a horn every few paces.

    42pw0acmembe.jpeg

    As yet you go unseen. You could wait for them to grow distant before heading to the water once more.

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Gruush crouches down beneath the boat and from behind a steep, jagged rock, peering out from the cracks to observe the patrolling trio...

    We're not really a murderhobo sort of group from what I've seen so far, so I don't see a lot of use in approaching these guys. Only reason I can think of to engage would be to interrogate them for information about who they are/the area, but 1. Whatever's under the hood might be unwilling or simply incapable of telling us anything, and 2. If we alert the guy with the horn and he gets out a toot or two, we're probably gonna be in a new world of trouble

    kimeAustinP0027
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Do they look like they are carrying anything beyond the swords? Heading in a specific direction, or aimlessly?

    Probably also gonna vote wait for them to pass.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    We can avoid the Nazgul for now

    nightmarennykime
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Evil-Eyed Gruush sniffs from beneath the Mask. He turns back and whispers to the others, "... ain't seen us yet. Say we keep still for a minute, letum' pass?" The group nods along in silent affirmation, and grunting pleasantly, Gruush turns back to watch the patrol march away.

    As they go, Gruush tugs his beard with thoughtful consideration. "...course," he says under his breath, more to himself than the others. "Iffin' we had a set of our own wasteland authority rags...could play at prisoners an' guards. Disguise three of us, pretend ter' chain up the others? Might get us a pass er' a free ride if we run into these fellas again. Lessen they look too hard or want a word, o' course. Then we'd probably all be dead un' buried..."

    Gruush has a dress that he will be putting on at some point, if he lasts long enough in this adventure

    kimeAustinP0027Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers

    They carry nothing else of value, Not even packs with provisions.

    They are headed somewhere. They look like they’ve been walking for at least 6 hours solid, something like that. Tired but determined. You allow them to carry on for a couple of minutes.

    When you cast the boat off and continue sailing you will pass them by quickly and well out of sword range.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Anyone can interrupt your current plan by interacting with them.

    Once one of you narrates putting the boat in the water you’re away.

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    The party moves close to the river. "I could Speak to them, as we pass, see if they answer and have any advice for us? I think it's unlikely they won't see us, regardless."

    mrpakunightmarenny
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers

    You set the boat off into the water and climb aboard.

    In short order you cross paths with the marching figures.

    So, whatcha gonna say? @fadingathedges

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "Travelers - what lies upstream from here? What dangers are in this place?"

    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    "Travelers - what lies upstream from here? What dangers are in this place?"

    No introduction at all, just suddenly a random voice in their head, I like it :D

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    I'm just assuming they are friendly and thereby presenting myself as friendly. If they aren't, we'll know.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 22
    "Travelers - what lies upstream from here? What dangers are in this place?"

    “A voice! A voice! Do you hear it brothers?”, one of the hooded figures wails.

    The one with the horn grabs them, “Is it the Enthroned, so newly empowered?!”

    “A voice! A voice!”, the others cry.

    One looks around in every direction, their heavy hood swishing in the way of their vision. They stop to sniff the air… and turn to you.

    They wave at you, long robes obscuring their hand, “Interlopers! …Pilgrims? A voice rings out from the Perfumed Bloom!”

    “Silence! Buffoon! Tell them nought!”, the one with the horn calls.

    “O’ Perfumed Bloom, we are so close, so close!”, the one Alzav sent a message to all but collapses into the arms of another, “O’ Perfumed Bloom!”

    The figure at the back of the end skips over, sword resting on his shoulder, “Shush brother, you’ll be soothed soon, come stand, it is not far now.”

    The one with the horn shouts at you, “Wayward things. Your beasthood is not hidden to me! Monsters in actions if not in form! Show yourselves if you be true, or tarry not, upset not our pilgrimage!”

    “O’ Perfumed Bloom! Draw in the poison of my soul! We have heard so much in so little time!”

    “O’ Perfumed Bloom!”



    You continue to float on, but they’re within shouting distance if you have more to ask. Let’s say, the next two posts until they’re too far back.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    As the boat continues to float down river, Solomon calls out to the strangers "We've no intention of interrupting your pilgrimage, and mean no harm unless harm is meant to us. What can you tell us about this 'Perfumed Bloom'? You must know much about it as it's clearly something important to you."

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Persuasion

    Persuasion:
    1d20+4 20 [1d20=16]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Solomon

    They’re taken aback, and while one tries to calm the rest, you hear much in response:

    “The Perfumed Bloom has come to cleanse us!”

    “We are so close! It resides where the river forks in two!”

    “It is Enthroned! Power beyond measure! Enough to rival Gladdinorre! The Bloom is a kindly being, soon to be our champion!”

    “But two days have passed since the story was overheard by we brothers, whispered by the tongue of an owl!”

    “Word is spreading fast, there will be many to come. A throng of souls in hope of a new order! O’ Perfumed Bloom!”

    “O’ Perfumed Bloom!”

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina hears this and starts mumbling to herself quietly. "Gladdinorre was the Enthroned here already... This Perfumed Bloom must have found the shard."

    (The river fork is just ahead.)

    Kirina starts ritual casting Detect Poison and Disease again (it's probably close to out if not already, lasts just ten minutes) and starts looking ahead, trying to find anywhere where the river may fork and anything that may be there. Personally, she's done talking with the hooded figures.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Kirina

    The hooded figures are rife with disease, something that wastes the muscle. You have no visual cue, but somehow you know they’re not human any more.

    For as much as your spell reaches… you’d say it’s getting cleaner up ahead, not more poisoned. That goes against the reputation of this land…

    kime
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 22
    Based on the map, I choose to move to the hex to the NE, still following the river. After that is the fork of the river, where the hooded figures say the Perfumed Bloom is to "cleanse". That sounds... ominous, so we should probably go on foot after that.

    Zomro on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 22
    To the one with the horn: "Men, or monsters? I cannot claim to tell the difference, pilgrim, nor say that I am one and not the other, nor promise that one of them is more or less noble. But we wish you no harm. Travel well."

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Persuasion

    Question: Can Delayed Spell from the gauntlet be combined with other metamagic, like subtle spell or something?

    Persuasion:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]

    fadingathedges on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

    Question: Can Delayed Spell from the gauntlet be combined with other metamagic, like subtle spell or something?

    If you’ve got the points, yeah, mix ‘em together.



    Alzav

    There is a mixed reaction of waves, cheers and confusion. They’re neutral to the party. If you meet them again there won’t be any immediate trouble.

    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 22
    Adventurers

    Solomon takes the oars and the boat picks up the pace with each stoke, the river itself once again becomes more lively as the land slips down, down into marshy lowland.

    p3fm48t2s3m2.png


    Geth roll 1d20 for Encounter

    Encounter:
    1d20 20 [1d20=20]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    GETH.

    kimeZomronightmarennyAustinP0027
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Standby, lots of drawing to do and I’m outside.

    Zomromrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The Chaos on the River

    6anee06u9r0s.jpeg
    hr3p83zzvpxh.jpeg
    2xafh18sam6r.jpeg

    As you traverse the sudden dips and jagged rocks of the river, the boat pivots hard, rocking you all forward and then suddenly back. A wave crashes against the bow of the boat… a wave?

    Oh no! Up ahead you see a giant thrashing in the river. She cuts a man in half and throws each piece to opposite sides of the river!

    fcz78q6fldfe.jpeg

    On the eastern bank, a band of knights clad in red arm a ballista with a huge spear. They must be aiming for the giant!

    iqsjwa0sskiz.jpeg
    z8bltmjt0ucr.jpeg

    Far to the north of all this stands a ruined, crumbling bridge. Several nimble warriors are racing eastward across it!

    gxgpema5w732.jpeg

    But that’s not all… from dead trees large globs of yellow, poisonous slime fall into the river. They move like oil across its surface!

    Though your eyes are fixed on the dangers, it is impossible to ignore the colossal stone face half sunken, half overgrown with thorny brambles. It matches nothing in the immediate area. It’s as if it fell from the sky.



    Boat Rules

    For the purposes of this battle, the boat has 18 HP.

    On your turn, as a bonus action, you can cause the boat to move 5 feet west, north or east by pulling on the rigging or pressing an oar into the water.

    At the end of every round, the boat will move 5 feet north.

    If more than one enemy ends their turn on the boat, it will capsize!

    If the boat crashes, it will take 3d6 damage. It is salvageable unless it is reduced to 0 HP.



    Swimming Rules

    There is no great difficulty to swim in the river, but you will end your turn with an extra 10 feet of movement north from where you wanted to end up.



    Initiative Order
    1. The Party
    2. Slimes
    3. Knight
    4. Warriors
    5. Giant

    Zomromrpakukimefadingathedges
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The boat only appears that big because distance falls apart when you consider people don’t actually have to stand 5 feet apart. It’ll only crash with a full, headlong collision.

    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers

    What do you do?

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 23
    1. Did any of us see if the man who was cut in half by the Giant was a Red Knight or a Nimble Warrior? (Trying to feel out the possible loyalties involved)

    2. Would Arthur's "Shape Earth" work to widen the cracks in that bridge?

    3. Could we try to ID the slimes to see if there's anything (elemental or otherwise) we could take for countermeasures against them, since pulling left is probably in our immediate future?

    4.Gruush could make some more rudimentary fire (not a lot, though) in the hopeful case that might help with the slimes, but otherwise, without his shortbow, his best use combat-wise in this one seems to be to occupy space on the Ship, play spotter, and immediately kill anyone who manages to clambor aboard

    mrpaku on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "This isn't . . . who is even fighting who? Are those on the bridge with the knights, or the giants, or neither? We should navigate through this!" Alzav scans the river ahead. "We either take our chances to the west with the slimes, or risk the ballista not distracting the giant to the east."

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Good questions!

    1. The man was in red.
    2. At range, absolutely. It is barely held together.
    3. There probably are, but that’s on you guys. Kirina seems prepared.
    4. You could throw stuff maybe, and make the Help action.

    mrpakukime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah I'll be able to take care of my own poison don't worry. Oh, for you all? Well, I guess if you pay me.....

    Kirina stares at the sights ahead, eyes wide at the giant. "Let's.... let's go around that." She tries to turn the boat to the West (5 ft that way). Then, she readies her attack with her newly upgraded warhammer, the Eventide. She's attacking the first enemy that gets within reach, presumably the slimes but if anything else comes for them that'll do too.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "Let's clear the course, then!" Alzav kicks the rudder, pushing the ship another 5 feet to the west, and unleashes three rays of magenta flame at the two slimes to the west!

    Geth roll 4d6 for Fire damage to the nearer slime
    Geth roll 2d6 for sneak damage to the nearer slime

    Geth roll 2d6 for Fire damage to the farther slime
    Geth roll 2d6 for sneak damage to the farther slime

    Fire damage to the nearer slime:
    4d6 14 [4d6=5, 3, 5, 1]
    sneak damage to the nearer slime:
    2d6 5 [2d6=2, 3]
    Fire damage to the farther slime:
    2d6 6 [2d6=4, 2]
    sneak damage to the farther slime:
    2d6 8 [2d6=5, 3]

    mrpakukime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Way too far to Mold Earth in the bridge right now.

    Arthur sees the commotion ahead of them and freezes a bit. There was too much happening too quickly. Thankfully, his companions sprung into action. West and kill slimes. I can do that.

    Firing off a small ball of fire at one of the slimes, he then sets to using a nearby oar to help direct them in the current.

    Geth, roll 1d10 for Fire Slime (farther)

    Fire Slime (farther):
    1d10 9 [1d10=9]

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    lol watch us miscalculate and accidentally just go WAY to far west and crash the boat

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Assuming that marker to the west is a tree, I think we can only go 1 or 2 more west this turn. Need to wipe the slimes as we are running right into them.

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Assuming that marker to the west is a tree, I think we can only go 1 or 2 more west this turn. Need to wipe the slimes as we are running right into them.

    I assume we have a bit of leeway, Endless noted that the boat was bigger on the map than it actually is.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Solomon moves to the center of the group, unsheathes his sword and readies his shield, preparing to defend the boat and his allies from attack. He sees the party already beginning to move to the west, "Good thinking! We wouldn't want to get the boat close to that giant in case we get caught up in its attack."

    Gonna move to the middle of the boat if I can, getting adjacent to as many party members as possible. I'll avoid moving the boat this round, we'll have enough time to move on the next round. Once we get closer, I'll begin to ready actions to attack boarders, but for now I'll keep my reaction open to use Interception to reduce damage if anyone is attacked. If you're within 5 ft of Solomon he can potentially protect you.

    kime
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    "Hardly seems a fair fight. All those men against the giant. Or are there three sides in this conflict other than us?" Simon shouted trying to get a read on the the complex situation before him. He couldn't help it but his sympathies were with the giant. In any story an outcast creature being harried by large groups would be the unlikely hero. He wondered if perhaps they should engage to help her? The only other giant that they had met was friendly enough?

    He settled for readying an action to attack the first thing to get in range of his ball and chain. That would likely be a slime and perhaps the situation would become clearer soon?

    Quire.jpg
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 23
    Adventurers

    Volleys of flame crash into one of the slimes instantly causing it to combust! The oily residue of the slime has become a blanket of flames!
    gkerq6kv1i3h.png



    Slimes

    The many slimes make their move! One reaches your boat and creeps on with an unnatural, limbless slithering. With surprising weight, it forces the boat to lift on the starboard side.

    Before I roll its attack, I think a lot of you have a readied action—go for it!



    Red Knights

    One knight takes aim with the huge ballista while the other pulls a crank that turns a platform beneath it. Attack and Help.

    The spear is launched into the giants chest, who instantly grabs it and rips it free. Bouts of blood cascade from the wound, turning the river red.

    Another sprints north and holds their open palm out to the warriors crossing the bridge.

    “Men and women of the wilds! The laws of her Ladyship extend to thee! Why do you appear now, as our hunt commences? Fall back and our hands will be stayed!”

    The last marches south and takes a deep breath… then blows blistering white hot fire at a pair of slimes!
    7k77ffhq78y3.png

    Damage:
    3d8 9 [3d8=5, 1, 3]
    Persuasion:
    1d20+1 16 [1d20=15]
    Fire Breath:
    4d6 16 [4d6=5, 4, 6, 1]
    Slime Save:
    1d20-1 14 [1d20=15]

    Endless_Serpents on
Sign In or Register to comment.