As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - Drossmire

1313234363744

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 23
    Nimble Warriors

    One warrior, dressed no different than the rest, calls to the knight.

    “Law! Your laws serve none but the noble lineage! But we will await your deaths, and should that beast fail… we will come for you. Unlike you, we are not without civility.”, there’s a snarl to the word ‘civility.

    They gather towards the end of the bridge.



    Giant

    She treads water, slowing her charge. Nevertheless, she reaches a knight and attempts to boot him away!

    Her foot connects, sending the knight tumbling through the air. He lands prone and stunned!
    rd3m29l4dreb.png

    Geth roll 1d20+10 for Boot
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Stand Firm

    Boot:
    1d20+10 12 [1d20=2]
    Stand Firm:
    1d20+4 10 [1d20=6]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 23
    The giant is, of course, a person, but is there any indication that they are feral or otherwise dangerous rather than being provoked? I feel bad that this potentially peaceful person is being hunted and Solomon may want to help them.

    Zomro on
    nightmarennymrpaku
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for hammer damage
    Zomro wrote: »
    The giant is, of course, a person, but is there any indication that they are feral or otherwise dangerous rather than being provoked? I feel bad that this potentially peaceful person is being hunted and Solomon may want to help them.

    Kirina would normally agree probably, but Giants still freak her out

    hammer damage:
    1d8+3 9 [1d8=6]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Ball and chain damage

    Ball and chain damage:
    1d8+3 8 [1d8=5]

    Quire.jpg
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Kirina & Simon

    Bludgeoning the slime was the best option! Whatever organs give life to this creature fail under your blows; it slinks back into the water and sinks.

    kime
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 23
    this is real cruelty. My character is finally really unlocked and here I am holding back out of fear that I'll ruin a potential friendship with a cool giant.

    Anybody have a read on what the perfumed bloom might be? We're probably a ways before it but surely at least one of the four factions we see here are allies to it whatever it may be?

    nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    kimemrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    It seems like it's someone newly powerful (as in, maybe found the shared we lost), but it feels like a "Follow me, the new being in town, I'll save your souls."

    So the Perfumed Bloom looks like they potentially oppose the Enthroned here, though based on how those stories always work out, I'm sure it'll suck just as much as the current one.

    I don't know that I buy into it being friendly or cleansing things, I'm sure it might have the power to do so, but at what cost?

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    this is real cruelty. My character is finally really unlocked and here I am holding back out of fear that I'll ruin a potential friendship with a cool giant.

    Anybody have a read on what the perfumed bloom might be? We're probably a waze before it but surely at least one of the four factions we see here are allies to it whatever it may be?

    Speculation: The Perfumed Bloom is some sort of flower/plant that is sentient and acquired the Shard of the Crown Eternal that floated this way from the Enthroned we fought in Oudru. Or maybe it became sentient after acquiring the shard. It is purifying the Drossmire from the poison and decay that permeates the land.

    It is a potential ally to us, perhaps. Perhaps....

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    nightmarennymrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Since we're in the Blighttown-like area, my guess is the Perfumed Bloom is gonna be a Maiden Astrea/Malenia-like demigod holding the shard. Honestly, if Gruush figures out this entity is trying to cleanse the lands, he'd probably do everything he could to support them in it (even if they turn out to be a giant pulsating rafflesia flower with a woman's face on it or something)

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    This area was going to be about something else, but your actions have caused a shift of the status quo. Who you side with, if anyone, will change the entirely of the Vastness Beyond irrevocably.

    kimemrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 23
    Zomro wrote: »
    The giant is, of course, a person, but is there any indication that they are feral or otherwise dangerous rather than being provoked? I feel bad that this potentially peaceful person is being hunted and Solomon may want to help them.

    The clothes of the giant are tattered and muddy. Her ‘helm’ is chainmail with a metal crown-like band across their eyes. This suggests they are perhaps blind. Her movements are wild and surprisingly fast for a being of that size.

    As yet you can’t say if they’re feral, but she is going berserk.


    One thing you can note is at least the warriors on the bridge are sane. They’ve made a choice based on a sense of fair play.

    These knights may too be sane. At least you know they are not silent undead. They believe in some laws. Laws suggest civilisation.

    You don’t know who are the ‘good guys’.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Back to your turn gang! Get creative!

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "The way ahead is clear with the slimes gone." Arthur says, "Are we going to keep going?"

    As a player, my first reaction was to just clear out way and keep boating.

    But Arthur is the helpful type so he'll pitch in to whatever idea the party decides on here (plus I'm kind of interested in how this plays out)

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I think there's one more slime?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Ah didn't see the one behind us still

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 23
    I'm not sure if the on-fire slime is dead or just.... you know, on fire

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    It’s dead enough. Don’t worry about it.

    kimemrpaku
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "I can Speak to any of them, including the giant, if we think there is something to say? I could also Calm them, if we get closer. But it would require my best remaining spell."

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Solomon calls out to whoever will answer. "What has this giant done to beget such violence? What law has been broken?"

    For now, Solomon remains where he is but will ready an action to attack anything that gets on the boat and within range of him.

    mrpaku
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Are we clear of the rocks to the north, could we decide to full speed ahead north?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Evil-Eyed Gruush withdraws his blade and carves it menacingly down into the plank beneath him with a cold rage as he watches the "argument" unfold in the distance. "Ain't right," he says beneath the Mask with a husky tone, one foot anxiously thumping like a drum. "Issa same way, ere'y time. Poor thing can't help that she's "unclean". Bastards'll kill her on her own land, all the same, an' claim justice..."

    As a thought (and conversely to Alzav's suggestion), Gruush could possibly attempt to provoke one of the groups and draw attention away with his pretty decent Performance score, although obviously that's bringing us right in to the drama here. Gruush is quietly siding with the Giant and the warriors- he clearly sympathizes with the wounded "abomination", and this fight feels very personal, to him

    Endless_Serpents
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina is not going to fight against defending the giant, of that's where the group goes (and if it's phrased like that). She won't be taking that first step herself though because giants are scary and her first instinct is "get away from the huge scary thing"

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 24
    Just to note, I did use the word impulsive repeatedly in descriptions...

    Arthur looks from Solomon to Gruush as they react to the attack on the giant. "Oh are we protecting the giant then?"

    He raises a Firebolt and shoots it at the warrior who just flames the slime.

    120ft range so I should be able to hit pretty much anyone.

    Geth, roll 1d10 for Firebolt

    Firebolt:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]

    AustinP0027 on
    mrpakukime
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 24
    Gruush listens to Arthur, and perceives his intent mere seconds before the boy raises his arm. "Wait!" He hisses, but it's already too late: he watches the mote of fire sail away and stares after it in dumb wonder. The Rogue chuckles, half shocked and half gleeful. "...ye' mad lad! Now we've done it..."

    mrpaku on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Alzav winces. "This is getting complicated!"

    Geth roll 1d10 for Fire bolt at the remaining slime threatening the boat

    Fire bolt at the remaining slime threatening the boat:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Solomon

    The knight that just breathed fire at two slimes cocks their head, “Interlopers! Giants have always sought our end! They seek the very destruction of our Lady’s city, the only bastion within our despoiled land!”

    “This giant alone has killed seventeen herdsmen and one fellow knight!”



    Kirina

    You’re heading for the rock, but aren’t so close you can’t steer away.



    Arthur

    You blast the knight that just spoke to Solomon. The flames race over them… but they appear unharmed.

    “Usurpers… You dare put fire against a Vermillion Knight of Gladdinorre?!”

    You had his curiosity, now you have his attention.



    Alzav

    You roast it! Flame ignites across the oil slick remains.

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    "It would appear we've chosen a side. Friend giant, are you capable of speech" Simon yelled over the waters hoping for some sign that they wern't about to make a terrible mistake.

    Quire.jpg
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 24
    Simon

    She’s gone berserk! She’s busy fighting. But that doesn’t mean she can’t speak, just that she isn’t listening.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Alzav sighs. "If we can steer towards the giant, I can try to Calm her."

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I'm thinking we should keep going NW and get behind that rock before they shoot that ballista at us. I'll probably go on foot at a certain point to get closer.

    AustinP0027
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah, Kirina will move the boat westward a bit so that the current doesn't push us onto the rock.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'll use my turn to push us west as well.

    Quire.jpg
    mrpaku
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    I'll use my bonus to move us North if that's not going to risk a wreck, or West if that's necessary to avoid a wreck.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    No update today guys, very busy! Thanks for playing so far!

    kimemrpakufadingathedgesAustinP0027Zomronightmarenny
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Thanks for running this, it's great!

    AustinP0027kimemrpakuZomronightmarenny
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 25
    Adventurers

    You sail perilously close to a rock, and will no doubt hit a tree in moments unless you do something about it!



    Knights

    With a guttural roar the knight Arthur struck leans forward and their cloak billows with a sudden gust of wind. Two bat-like wings spring forth from their body, slick with blood!

    They sprint, and just as they would hit the water they rise into the air! They dive bomb onto the rock!

    The other knights go for the giant’s ankles with tell practised cuts. Their aim is to severe the tendons. As one makes their strike, their blade momentarily flashes green. The veins on the giant ‘s leg suddenly bulge and grow dark. The giant falls backwards, head submerged for the moment!

    Geth roll 2d8 for Cut
    Geth roll 1d6+4 for Cut
    Geth roll 1d6 for Cut



    Giant

    The giant was about to swing, but her sword finds no mark!

    Geth roll 4d6+4 for Whammage

    Cut:
    2d8 12 [2d8=4, 8]
    Cut:
    1d6+4 5 [1d6=1]
    Cut:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]
    Whammage:
    4d6+4 22 [4d6=6, 1, 6, 5]

    Endless_Serpents on
    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    fk5jcp7s04r4.jpeg

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers

    The nimble warriors remain where they are, but subtly begin to draw bows. They said they wouldn’t attack the knights until after their fight with the giant, but, well, we’ll see.

    Your turn!

    kime
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    How tall is the rock? I could reach it with a horizontal jump, but wonder how much vertical movement I'd need to get safely on top.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "Ok, everyone saw that right? Bat wings covered in blood? Definitely the bad guys here." Arthur says aloud. At the same time, he uses his oar to steer the boat westward, to avoid the tree directly in front of them.

    Still looking over his shoulder, he doesn't like the knight that had landed being as close to them as it was, so he continues his attack. This time, he summons another ball of acid and shoots it over.

    Move 5ft west for boat
    Shoot Chromatic Orb at #4

    Geth, roll 3d8 for Acid Dmg

    Acid Dmg:
    3d8 14 [3d8=2, 6, 6]

Sign In or Register to comment.