As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - End Times

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Adventurers

Arthur’s inquisitive nature aids you in navigating the city, but only to a certain degree. You can hardly be expected to know the ins and outs of a city just by squinting down roads from the market.

otfj56tnst46.png

The map:
    White indicates tall, fortified walls—not utterly impassable but quite the feat to climb. All manned.

A. Your present location. The open markets.
    B. Fanciful gardens that beckon with delights. No doubt a den of villainy behind closed doors.
    C. Clerk‘s Ward, scriveners and scholars hold up in quiet offices. Safe, perhaps, if you’re simply passing through.

Your goal as a party is to defeat the Enthroned (your personal goals may diverge), and so you must seek knowledge and advantages where you can. As you decide the routes and the opportunities you’ll take through the city keep in mind what will best bring about your goal.

For now, the answer on where to go is less apparent. Consider weighing up the kind of information either place will grant you, what costs or consequences may befall you and what kind of allies and enemies you could make there.

Lastly, you could elect to go to the most southern ward of the city, unknown to you in every sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9mjdRiMInM&list=PL8804009A91F98915&index=8

Endless_Serpents on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    The goblet was 30 gold. No discount for people with weird familiars it seems.

I don't have that in cash - what's the value of the 'ordinary jewelry' pieces I found?

And/or the small gem chips from the bird

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Gruush will toss his remaining 10gp in to assist Alzav if it eases exchange rates!

edited June 2022
    The goblet was 30 gold. No discount for people with weird familiars it seems.

I don't have that in cash - what's the value of the 'ordinary jewelry' pieces I found?

Sorry about that!

“T-t-t”, the old dear takes a breath, “Eleven gold for those nick nacks.”

Geth roll 1d20 for ordinary jewellery

ordinary jewellery:
    1d20 11 [1d20=11]

Endless_Serpents on
    And/or the small gem chips from the bird

“Oh.. N-now these are magical. I d-don’t want to deal with them, thank you please.”

You learn that the beads that were imbedded in the skin of the giant heron were remnants of the spell Comet Emera. This spell is cast by the mage-warriors of Celestial Aerie alone; the art is no longer taught.

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "The Clerk's ward might be our safest next step. " Arthur says to the group as they are deciding on their next direction. "It might give us a chance to learn more about the Enthroned as well.

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    "We should understand the layout of the city. If we are to confront the Enthroned here, we need to devise our strategy. Find the avenues of entrance and the paths of escape. The patrols here are sparse, undisciplined, so as long as we keep a low profile we should be able to explore without calling undue attention. The walls, however, are heavily manned, so we'll have to figure out a way to escape the city, either unseen or with a distraction."

Evil-Eyed Gruush would 100% be willing to go scout for a safe passage to the palace/to safe escape(s) if things went South while the group checks out the Clerk's Ward! He'd be happy to have along anyone else who was game, as well!

"Hmm.. I think we were all at risk when we got separated outside the city, I would vote to stay together here. But if I'm outvoted, I can go with Gruush to scout. I can be discreet, when necessary."

Read: let's not split the party again IMO, but if we do I have stealth, social skills, and mind powers.

mrpaku wrote: »
    Gruush will toss his remaining 10gp in to assist Alzav if it eases exchange rates!

I'm all set with the trade value, so thank you anyhow but don't mark that off your sheet!

Adventurers

You’ve lingered here for a few minutes, prompting a dishevelled looking man to tentatively approach you.

“Could I perhaps interest you fine individuals in accompanying me to the grandest locale at the markets? These baubles you have bought will pale in comparison to the curiosities and physically empowering liquids crafted by my master. He does not ply his trade from tents. He resides within a abode that offers much shade and refreshment; to handsome nobles such as yourselves he is willing to part with his wonders. To serve nobility is the highest cause, after all.”

He takes a deep bow.

“I am Nobu. At your service.”

"Perhaps, perhaps! What manner of empowerments do these liquids bestow?

Do we have time for such a visit, friends?"

Mentally: Cautious, but potentially useful information about the city, regardless of intent.

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Insight

if there was / is time, Alzav would attempt to determine the nature of the goblet

Insight:
    1d20+3 14 [1d20=11]

Arthur stands off to the side, frowning at Nobu talks with the rest of the group. He doesn't like the idea of going off anywhere, especially with someone want to sell them things in private, but he also doesn't really think splitting the group is the best idea either. He decides to follow the group's lead, but keeps looking over his shoulder, both to keep an eye out, but also to watch out for her.

Arthur isn't a fan of this at all, but he'll follow everyone elses lead.

Solomon eyes Nobu with suspicion, but does not let his distrust show. "You are bold to approach us so." Solomon says, his face still obscured by the red knight helm's visor. "I'll overlook your audacity for I am curious about these wondrous wares. Hopefully they are as magnificent as you claim."

Solomon keeps an eye out in case any others have taken an interest in the party. This Nobu could be leading them to cutthroats for all he knows.

Shooing this guy off might cause a scene, so I'm willing to go along with him for now.

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20+3 13 [1d20=10]

Due to unforeseen beverages I’ll have to update tomorrow.

Forgot to roll.

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Looking behind

Looking behind:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

The classic delayer of gaming, drinking.

Question for everyone. Out of character we of course know that the way to progress is through killing the Enthroned and taking their stuff. It seems that we have recently also come to the similar consensus in character as well, correct? We are pursuing other things right now but all of us are in agreement that we are here for the purposes of regicide?

Simon looked at the tattered remnants that might have once been clothes and was ready to dismiss the man outright. What trick was this? What kind of master alchemist(is that wat they called themselves here? Simon didn't know) would employ such a man to wrangle customers? Before he could speak up a strange sound gulped out from atop his shoulder.

"brrrrruh" Imnos chirped(???) "Libations and concoctions of every color, bruuuuuuuuuh"

It spread its little wings as if taking flight and then settled back down.

"I would taste your offerings. Pour upon thy altar, bruuuuuuuuuuuh"

Simon stared at his familiar for a time and then shrugged; the matter settled.

"We will go" said Simon.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    Might be a very late update today as I’ll be busy. Sorry gang.

Alzav

The goblet is in some way enchanted with fire magic. The knights you fought appeared most dragon-like…

Nobu is eager to reply, “Oh! What can’t they do? Vigour! Long life! Strength and speed! Potions of the loins! Potions of the mind! Both well beloved by poets, artists and minstrels!”

He chatters on, listing all manner of things.

Solomon

Nobu drops dramatically to one knee.

“Your pardon brings me honour. I shall inform my master of your kindness as soon as we arrive. My master is sure to offer you a sample in forgiveness for my slight.”

You don’t see anyone with a concealed dagger or mean look. However, if not Nobu, a dozen merchants or merchant’s servants were going to hit you up after you flashed your coin. It’s just what they do if you wait around too long.

Arthur

What you’re keeping an eye out for is not yet in the city.

Adventurers

Nobu leads you away from the bustle of the market and down a damp set of steps that lead to a dark tunnel that curls back towards the market. Nobu clampers for a lantern held by a short statue, and opens its glass lid. He spits into it, and it sparks to life. Then another further down lights up, then another, until the entire tunnel is lit. He does not turn to see your reaction—this is common spellwork here.

You tentatively follow Nobu until you reach a round door. He knocks thrice. Whispers through the keyhole.

It creaks open… a touch green and orange mist spills out.

What do you do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoNJPC8bZc8

Arthur is steadily writing notes in his book as they travel down the tunnel, making note of the lanterns with quick scribbles around assumptions of how they work. When they stop at a door, he takes a step backwards, just an involuntary reaction to the situation they found themselves in. When the door opens and mist slips out, he is content with his distance, but he peers at the multi-colored mist to try and understand what it might be.

Just trying an Arcana here to see if I recognize what this might be

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Arcana Mists

Arcana Mists:
    1d20+5 11 [1d20=6]

Solomon is growing tired of playing the role of entitled noble, but that is the part he chose to play and will continue to do so as long as needed. To that end, when the door opens, Solomon enters without hesitation, showing no fear.

Alzav follows. He casts a thought around the city, seeking Watki. "I see you. Did you arrive before us or after us, friend?"

Question for everyone. Out of character we of course know that the way to progress is through killing the Enthroned and taking their stuff. It seems that we have recently also come to the similar consensus in character as well, correct? We are pursuing other things right now but all of us are in agreement that we are here for the purposes of regicide?

Along these lines, Evil-Eyed Gruush has expressed IC that: The group having Shards means they're a walking target in the Vastness anyway, and that power is needed to combat power. He's onboard at the moment with overthrowing the power structure that leaves the Warriors in the Wastes, but was also torn once he found out the Knights bore scales under their armors

Lady-in-White Gruush didn't like this, not one bit. The sudden secrecy, the small tinge of magic. But there was little to be done now. With a deep breath, and falling in gracefully behind Solomon and Alzav, Gruush enters the door, eyes darting around, wide and alert...

Adventurers

The walls of this place are lined with shelves stocked with trifles and devices, elixirs and oils. Potted plants overflow with sickly white spider plants. You spy a preying mantis, headless, clawing at the air partly concealed amongst them. A ladder on wheels slowly travels away from you all as Solomon strides in; under power, or merely rolling away from a prior touch? The mist rises no higher than your shoes, but it’s so thick it can be kicked up if you try. A dusty chandelier hangs above, lit by candlelight—it does not suit the environment.

Arthur! The mist is the waste of many years of alchemy. Not exactly harmless, but not an instant irritant. It smells only faintly of hemlock. What you make of it will have to remain conjecture.

Alzav! You sense no reply. You must have lost her some time ago.

Standing in the middle of all this is a strange figure. Masked. Opulent. As equally ill-fitting as the chandelier.

“Master! Guests.”, Nobu says, bobbing about, “Patrons! Of noble birth! Kind and willing to listen to filth such as I!”

jbpapnptgljk.jpeg

The master flutters their fan, then snaps it shut. Nobu seems almost to lean towards them, willing them to acknowledge you. A moment passes.

The master’s voice seems to come from somewhere deep, an opera bass in a coffin, “Yes? Ah.”

“They could help you recover your title!”, Nobu whispers quickly (Gruush picks this up easily).

“Ah. Welcome. I am… Marcellus. The alchemist. I employ only the finest bloods in my elixirs. I am… I am the greatest bloodwright this city has to offer. I see you sir, and know that I would never lie to one deserving of the dragon’s blood—I can offer you nothing as majestic as the Lady’s own favour, but for your companions?…”

He appraises you all, a nervous clutching of hands as he realises your number. Nobu nods along, spreading his arms to guide you around the cramped place.

Alzav makes a small, polite bow. "Thank you for welcoming us into your laboratory, master Marcellus. I know little of your craft. Am i to understand you brew your concoctions from blood? What do you have on offer?

We are new come to this city, I must confess, I am curious about this place, and your story within it."

“New…”, Marcellus says idly.

He looks to Nobu, to Solomon and back to Nobu.

Damage control time. Deception check!

Nothing stopping one of you from splitting yourself from the new, to say they’re invited or something.

edited June 2022
    Gonna see how the check goes before writing the response. Will RP to how good or bad it is.

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Deception

Not bad. Will post full response a little later.

Deception:
    1d20+2 14 [1d20=12]

Zomro on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

The classic delayer of gaming, drinking.

Sorry for being quiet, I'm oncall this week, but more importantly my wife and daughter both have their birthdays this week so it's a bunch of prepping and baking and whatnot.

To your question, Kirina would always have been pushing that way subtly at least yeah, if it comes up in conversation and such. Alliances can sometimes work, but it's not what she's expecting.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    "New patrons?" Solomon scoffs, "That's up to you. As you say, the Lady's blessing is all I need, but for those who are unworthy of Her favor," Solomon looks to the group, his eyes offering an apologetic look "perhaps there is something that will allow them to better serve Her. Will your wares live up to the... theatrics on display? That remains to be seen."

Adventurers

The alchemist is somewhat confused, but let’s it all slide at Solomon’s tone. They’ve clearly been at the wrong end of the city’s elite in recent memory.

“Ah. To answer your question young fellow, blood infusions are the heart of our alchemy. Pure dragon blood is kept safely in the hands of the Lady, but there are other sources of fine blood. The fell-drakes, bred by house Ashwise. Noble Ministrators, who possess great blood within them and share it for a price. Adherent’s blood, boiled above dragon-fire for many weeks, to purify it. There are… other sources, of course.”

He trails off with a soft wave of his hand. You get the strong sense this is so common place it’s difficult to talk about. To him, alchemy that utilises blood is like ‘fire is hot’. Only now do you recollect the bottles of red tied to the belts of those you passed by. Only now do you recall the cup of blood at the old dear’s jewellery stall.

Marcellus points out numerous wares, though most are for hair growth, virility, skin ailments and the like.

Potion of Healing
    50 gold — 3 in stock
    You regain 2d4 + 2 hit points when you drink this potion. The potion's red liquid glimmers when agitated.

Elixir of Life
    400 gold — 1 in stock
    You regain 8d4 + 8 hit points when you drink this potion. The potion is jet black, but is indeed blood of a kind.

Blood of Anmolliese
    900 gold — 1 in stock
    When you drink this potion, it removes any exhaustion you are suffering and cures any disease or poison affecting you. For the next 24 hours, you regain the maximum number of hit points for any Hit Die you spend. The potion's crimson liquid regularly pulses with dull light, calling to mind a heartbeat.

Potion of Water Breathing
    50 gold — 3 in stock
    You can breathe underwater for 1 hour after drinking this potion, but cannot breath on land during the duration. Its cloudy green fluid smells of the sea and has a jellyfish-like bubble floating in it.

Philtre of Love
    700 gold — 3 in stock
    The next time you see a creature within 10 minutes after drinking this philter, you become charmed by that creature for 1 hour. If the creature is of a species and gender you are normally attracted to, you regard it as your true love while you are charmed. This potion’s rose-hued, effervescent liquid contains one easy-to-miss bubble shaped like a heart.

You feel there is perhaps even more on offer here, but Marcellus isn’t offering it up. Perhaps you could delve into his current predicament. If you wish to, of course.

Arthur speaks up from the back, "Nobu mentioned help you might need. What's that about?"

Arthur

“Ah. Ah well, yes. I in my ignorance did insult Lord Castus. But I assure you it was not intended! I suggested he might enjoy some of my hair removal cream as he has… ah… undergone… not the early stages of beasthood, but a dissimilar affliction that is affecting his arms and… face.”

He fiddles with his own mask.

“I have been disgraced, and lost my own title of baronet. If I could have an audience with the Lady’s Grand Inquisitors I am positive I could plead my case… only, as I am not noble, I simply cannot enter the Holy Ward without being… without… as is right, of course.”

He nod’s vigorously at Solomon.

h6xwfa8ffjls.jpeg

You learn that only nobles can set foot in the Holy Ward, which therefore means the clergy and the ruling class are the same thing, more or less. Wealth and privilege are sacred. To be poor is to be sinful.

Beyond the Holy Ward is the Ward of the Perfected, where the chosen few of this city’s ruler live.

Only the Lady’s absolute inner circle can make it through that ward and into her own personal grounds. The heart of the city, the Lady’s Ward, whispered by some as ‘The Dragon Blood Domain’.

edited July 2022
    Nobu tells of the rest of the city at a brisk pace. You’d have to go there, you think, as his description is limited.

uwkdaobyt2ve.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
    DM thoughts:
    - Consider your sheer numbers as you traverse the city. If you wish to aid Marcellus, you’ll be travelling with him and Nobu. You’ve already got three followers in toe. That’s not sneaky, not one bit.
    - You’re bound to upset someone, at some point. Every mistake is a tick on a countdown clock. You’re only going to visit this city once with it neutral to you.
    - So maybe split up?
    - You can back out of anything and just buy stuff. You’ve at least learned a little about the place.
    - You could rob this guy. It’s for a good course, right? You’re all good, right?

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina does not look eager to help this person. He's scary and creepy! She wouldn't mind finding another way to the Lady, especially as Marcellus is probably not gonna be very helpful for that goal anyways (from what she can tell now).

She's not exactly saying all this while we're all right in front of him, but she's probably pretty easy to read.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Alzav thinks that a potion maker could be helpful at the belfry, or wherever really. He doesn't mind exchanging favors with them to mutual benefit, or at least learning more. He is staying quiet since I put his foot in his mouth here, though. :D

We should split.

Kirina and Arthur both already stated they didn't like this situation, so those two can go separate.

Simon likely needs to go with because of his disguise.

What others would go with each group?

Update tomorrow! Good roleplaying everyone!

Movements of the City

You’ve spent a scant few minutes in this dwelling beneath the streets.

High above you hear distant trumpets. Nobu informs you the Lady’s Songbirds are making their way through the streets, spreading news of some important. An irregular occurrence. One of you could sprint back topside to pick up the news if you pleased.

Were you to look, a round fellow is making his way towards you, an empty bottle in hand. He walks with a limp. A regular customer, nothing more. Looks to be one of the merchants of the bazaar. On his shoulder appears to be a cat on a silver chain.

Nobu pats himself down. Eventually he pulls out a brass key. He half walks, half grovels his way through the crowd that is the party and starts tugging at a heavy carpet.