As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - Sunken Magor Venge

1484951535464

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Interestingly, because we leveled up, I have a L2 spell slot!

    And L1 spell slots, but just defense/utility there.


    Geth roll 1d20+2 for AlSnooziative

    e: Unless it doesn't work like that? I have only ever L'd up on rest.

    I know we’re strictly ‘in’ the long rest, but I’m happy for all to be healed up and sorted with spells for this

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Interestingly, because we leveled up, I have a L2 spell slot!

    And L1 spell slots, but just defense/utility there.


    Geth roll 1d20+2 for AlSnooziative

    e: Unless it doesn't work like that? I have only ever L'd up on rest.

    I know we’re strictly ‘in’ the long rest, but I’m happy for all to be healed up and sorted with spells for this

    I prepared my new spell but didn't reset my spells. I'm.... actually also not sure if that's how it's supposed to be done, tbh. My new spell won't matter here anyways though, unless we really need these mushroom people to tell the truth...

    But anyways I'm not giving myself my used spell back! I haven't Long Rest'd! No easy mode! :lol::lol:

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    To be clear, Gruush gets a turn for free, then you’ll be rolling initiative @mrpaku

    You might have been supernaturally snuck up on, but you’re as alert as they come.

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Initiative

    I'm a spell slot down from the purify food and drink, but at least I can still smite

    Initiative:
    1d20-1 14 [1d20=15]

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Initiative

    I'm a spell slot down from the purify food and drink, but at least I can still smite

    You should let me ritual cat that :lol:

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    Gruush almost panics. We’ve been had! His hand goes to his twin short-blade holsters, but finds one empty. Watki!, he shouts internally while he clenches a fist, the grudge momentarily overriding fear. I swear to the Gods, the next time I find you…

    Creeping forward on hands on knees towards the shroom-monsters, Gruush instead withdraws his rapier from his pack, the whole time keeping a careful eye as the creatures phase in and out of existence. Must be a consequence of time stopping…may’ve just “grown” that way. Sneaking up on the nearest stalker, the Rogue slowly draws his arm back…then thrusts forward with the blade, piercing the monster in its midsection! As he does so, he shouts out to the crew, “Eyes wide, Lost Ones! The fungus is among us! I repeat, the fungus is among us!

    Moving to the fungus-warrior to the SW of Gruush and making a sneak attack! Also, being naked doesn’t affect Gruush in the slightest, ie. “That’s my secret, Captain…I’m never wearing armor!”
    Geth roll 1d8+2 piercing (Fungi 1)
    Geth roll 2d6 sneak attack (Fungi 1)

    Geth roll 1d20+3 Initiative

    piercing (Fungi 1):
    1d8+2 10 [1d8=8]
    sneak attack (Fungi 1):
    2d6 6 [2d6=5, 1]
    Initiative:
    1d20+3 19 [1d20=16]

    mrpaku on
    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    Gruush

    The fungal fiend makes no sound as you pierce its fleshy hide! You smoothly draw your rapier free as a gout of black blood is sprayed high into the air! A definite hit.

    p0edqsa3xkvq.jpeg


    Initiative Order
    1. Gruush
    2. Jin
    3. Solomon
    4. Kirina
    5. Alzav
    6. Arthur
    7. The Fungus Among Us

    Endless_Serpents on
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    Evil-Eyed Gruush takes in all three shrooms-monsters with a quick panning glance as they flicker in and out of his view. Beneath the Mask, his grin is wide and ferocious. "I see you!," he hisses to the fungal invaders, as he stabs once more at the creature before him....

    One more stab at Portobello-Boy, then Disengage and move 30 ft. due North
    Geth roll 1d8+2 piercing (Fungi 1)

    piercing (Fungi 1):
    1d8+2 7 [1d8=5]

    mrpaku on
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    Meanwhile, Jin collides with Arthur! He bites repeatedly at his shoulder, shaking the young man around like a rag doll! You can practically hear Jin’s body further take shape into a dire wolf! He is changing before your eyes.

    Arthur! You suffer 16 damage!

    Arthur! Make a Strength saving throw with disadvantage! 11 DC. If you fail, you’ll be knocked prone.
    Geth roll 2d6 for Bite
    Geth roll 2d6 for More Bite

    Bite:
    2d6 7 [2d6=1, 6]
    More Bite:
    2d6 9 [2d6=4, 5]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    Edit: Can't remember disadvantage command but geez Geth....


    Geth, roll 2d20 for Str Save

    Str Save:
    2d20 40 [2d20=20, 20]

    AustinP0027 on
    mrpakuEndless_Serpentskime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Edit: Can't remember disadvantage command but geez Geth....


    Geth, roll 2d20 for Str Save

    So.

    Tell us how you kill Jin.

    mrpakukime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur's eyes clamp shut as Jin's teeth bit down. He lets out a scream as he feels teeth biting into his skin, time standing still as the beast's mouth pierces into his shoulder.

    Inside his head, he screams as loud as he screams out loud. But then there is silence. His presence shifts, it swaps, and he leaves his body and inhabits his enchanted spellbook. It gives him a moment of clarity, a brief respite from the pain, and without really knowing how he has done it, he uses his spellbook to tap into the arcane. His mind reaches for the words to a spell, grabbing onto it tightly, and then dragging it all back into his body, mind and spell ready.

    His eyes fly open, but instead of the blue irises, they are a golden yellow with crackling energy. His hand reaches up towards Jin's mouth, and before the creature can bite down on it again, he releases a Thunderwave directly into Jin's open mouth.

    Endless_Serpentsmrpakukime
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Solomon scrambles to his feet, grabbing his sword and shield in order to join in battle. He sees Jin attack Arthur, but his focus is on the fungal attackers. The lad can handle himself, he's quick witted.

    Solomon heads south to meet the enemy and readies his blade for the first to come near him.

    Move south towards the funguys (not sure if we started prone, so half movement to get up) and then ready an action to attack the first mushroom that gets close. Should I roll damage in advance? Was also going to put a divine smite on it.

    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Arthur

    The beast that was Jin blasts apart! Headless, the body lopes off clumsy, crashing into the cart before spasming to death!



    Solomon

    Yes, prone from sleeping. I’d save the roll for now!

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    I assume Thunderwave is enough to wake Alzav before his turn? Are the mycopredators visible now?

    fadingathedges on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    I assume Thunderwave is enough to wake Alzav before his turn? Are the mycopredators visible now?

    You’re awake, you can post your turn, but it’ll happen after Kirina’s. No biggie.

    They are incredibly alien, rippling in and out, but they are visible and attack-able right now.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Alzav scrambles to his feet and looses a bolt of fire at the middle creature. He grasps the hilt of Hercule's blade at his hip and channels his will through it. He makes the motion of drawing and releasing the blade, but it remains sheathed; a spectral blade flashing forward instead to strike the same creature.


    Spiritual Weapon in the square north of the center enemy. Stand, no movement.


    Geth roll 1d20+6 for Firebolt attack
    Geth roll 1d10 for Firebolt damage
    Geth roll 1d20+6 for Spiritual Weapon attack
    Geth roll 1d8+4 for Spiritual Weapon damage

    Firebolt attack:
    1d20+6 23 [1d20=17]
    Firebolt damage:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]
    Spiritual Weapon attack:
    1d20+6 15 [1d20=9]
    Spiritual Weapon damage:
    1d8+4 8 [1d8=4]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    @fadingathedges
    Give us a bit on what this spiritual weapon looks like!



    @kime
    I’m gonna skip your turn this round. Hope you don’t mind! Take an extra action on your next turn when you’re back with us.



    @AustinP0027
    You’re up to bat!

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Alzav

    Your assault jolts the fiend into full view! No longer does it seem to fade in and out of existence! You can’t be sure if it’s the fire or the ghostly blade that has locked it down, but you’ve certainly done something right!

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited September 26
    I think I can take a turn now! In part because it's probably going to be really easy... With no combat spells prepared and starting from prone, I don't exactly have much to do :lol:

    Kirina jolts awake at Gruush's yell! She sees the fungus creatures, and stands up (15 feet of movement to stand...). Then runs closer to the monsters and raises her hand, and casts Moonbeam! (aka one of the two combat spells I have ready)

    A beam of light appears, engulfing one of the fungi monsters! If it has a 5-foot radius around a point, can I hit two of them?

    If it makes a Con save against a 14 spell save DC, it takes half damage. Most stuff happens if it is a shapechanger, which may be useful later and may have been useful with Jin, but oh well.

    Geth roll 2d10 for Moonbeam Radiant Damage

    Edit: Geth c'mon, be a friend

    Moonbeam Radiant Damage:
    2d10 3 [2d10=1, 2]

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 26
    Geth roll 1d20 for Save 1
    Geth roll 1d20 for Save 2

    Kirina

    Your moonbeam shines down on two of the fiends, who hiss and click, turning their eyeless heads from its searing light. They seem to take lasting harm from the beam’s radiant damage! Despite not looking how you’d traditionally imagine them some distant voice seems to tell you they’re demons!

    fx18rwig21fw.jpeg

    Save 1:
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]
    Save 2:
    1d20 5 [1d20=5]

    Endless_Serpents on
    mrpaku
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    I imagine that the spiritual weapon might look like a ghostly version of the short sword itself, but you had said it keeps an echo of Hercule in some way. I'm not sure what that means - I only saw him briefly, and I didn't know if you meant it was semi-intelligent or in its presentation. I was wondering if he spectrally appears there wielding it, or if it has some coloration or presentation related to him? Or, like, he had a lion or a duck or something on the coat of his breastplate / on the sword, and the spiritual weapon just appears like a manifestation of whatever animal? I realize this is more questions than an answer but I was wondering the same thing and not sure :smile: what do you think? Something in this range or elsewhere?

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I've actually never learned how "When a creature enters the spell’s area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there" works. When I cast the spell there, is that them "entering" it? Or does the damage wait till they start their turn? Or does it apply both times? And if I move it onto them in the next round, is that the same or different as this initial cast?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur spins around, having just blasted the were-creature that Jin became, so see the other creatures being engaged. He slips around past the wagon into sight of them.

    The spiritual blade worth the addition of the moonbeam make it clear what type of magic is needed to fight there creatures. "Radiant!" He yells out. "Anything you have that uses holy energy!"

    He flips pages in his spellbook, angrily searching for the right spell. But, his frustration builds and he can't find the right spell, so he summons a ball of acid and sends it flying.


    Shooting #3 with Chromatic Orb (Acid)

    Geth, roll 3d8 for Acid Dmg

    Acid Dmg:
    3d8 16 [3d8=7, 4, 5]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    DM speak for @kime
    I interpret it as:
    You deal damage when you cast it. You attack them on your turn with the moonbeam.
    If they start their turn beneath it, which pretty much every target will, they take damage again. For speed I don’t bother to roll saves again, they just take damage as per their last save.
    The creature will then want to move to avoid taking damage again, ending its turn elsewhere.



    I’ll make something up @fadingathedges

    The spiritual weapon appears as a weather, ancient, tarnished iron blade with an electrum hilt and dragon head pommel. A disembodied hand grips the the weapon, a translucent white that drifts off into vapour. However, whenever it attacks the weapon cries out a distant roar of a righteous man, and in the moment it becomes a brilliant red—the zealous faith in Lady Gladdinore made visible.

    38cl67qle2wc.jpeg



    Arthur

    I’ll take that damage for the largely untouched 3rd fiend.

    The acid hits! The fiend tries to block it as much as it can with its terrible scythe. It’s featureless face, if it can be said to have one, remains silent and inscrutable.

    dgj2epa08a5i.png

    AustinP0027fadingathedgeskime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 27
    The Fiends

    h8rl1nuca3u6.jpeg

    1.
    The fiend flicks their scythe into one hand and thrusts it out towards Solomon. A ray of sickly energy lashes out towards the knight! Solomon! Make a Constitution saving throw!

    From nowhere a scythe cuts into the world! Another fiend steps out…

    2.
    Fleeing the moonbeam, this fiend bolts for Kirina, their legs bending in strange places. They raise their scythe high and slice into Kirina’s chest, then use the momentum to spin into a horizontal swing! Spores trail from the terrible weapon, swirling on the sudden, brief wind.

    Kirina! You take 19 poison damage! You’ve been infected by demonic fungus! You’ll take 2 damage at the end of your turns until it is cured!

    Geth roll 1d10+2 for Reap
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for What You Sow

    3.
    Pained by the moonbeam, the last fiend intends to harm Arthur! It points its scythe at the young man and unleashes a ray of sickness! Arthur! Constitution saving throw!

    At that moment a shadow is cast from behind a dead tree nearby…

    Reap:
    1d10+2 7 [1d10=5]
    What You Sow:
    1d10+2 12 [1d10=10]

    Endless_Serpents on
    kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for CON Save

    CON Save:
    1d20+2 17 [1d20=15]

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Sword is awesome!

    It's been too long - I forgot we don't roll attacks!

    Can we gather that 1. and 1a. are the same gi, or shades of the same gi, or something? Are both of them targetable?

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited September 27
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for CON save

    That feat already paying off

    CON save:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]

    Zomro on
    AustinP0027
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Arthur & Solomon

    Both adventurers endure the ray, shifting stance to lean into it. They both preserve.

    Add +3 to an action this combat if it is to aid the other. You’re in sync.



    Alzav

    Out of character they’re to help in something that you’ll probably figured out this round. In character? Up to you.

    You could use an action to make an Arcana check if you want answers now rather than physically working things out over time.


    You see that more fiends have arrived. They too flicker in and out of view. As far as you can tell there’s nothing to separate them from the initial three. Just two more faceless fungal threats!

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    I have some guesses, but I think lighting them on fire is more in order than spending much time studying them.

    It's around to us, right?



    The ghostly blade slashes at the flickering creature nearby. Alzav sends three beams of rippling flame towards the creature attacking Kirina.


    Move 2 West, 1 SW
    Geth roll 6d6 for Scorching Ray @ #2
    Geth roll 1d8+4 for Spiritual Weapon @ #1

    Scorching Ray @ #2:
    6d6 25 [6d6=2, 6, 3, 3, 5, 6]
    Spiritual Weapon @ #1:
    1d8+4 5 [1d8=1]

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 27
    The flames sputter and whorl off the beams for a moment, and Alzav renews his focus to channel more of the energy into his target!

    Replacing the 2,3,3 for a new total of:
    Geth roll 3d6+17 for Empowered Spell

    e: hilarious, Geth

    Empowered Spell:
    3d6+17 26 [3d6=1, 6, 2]

    fadingathedges on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Evil-Eyed Gruush rushes in to aid the Kirina, rapier drawn! He gives the enemy a quick thrust as he moves past, hoping to draw it's attention off of the Cleric...

    Moving to the space immediately East of Enemy #2, and making an attack!

    Geth roll 1d8+2 piercing (Fungi 2)

    piercing (Fungi 2):
    1d8+2 10 [1d8=8]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    To be continued tomorrow, got to do thing!

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited September 28
    Got Hurricane Ian swinging by within the next couple of days, so I may go radio silent if the power goes out for a long time. Gonna toss my turn in in case that happens

    Solomon hears Arthur calling for holy energy. "Good eye, lad!" Solomon moves to engage the fiend that unleashed the sickly beam at him, his longsword momentarily shining with divine light. He brings the sword down onto the creature, bringing the wrath of Arora along with it.

    Move to engage with monster 1, attacking with a Divine Smite. Since they're demons, it's an extra d8 smite damage.

    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Longsword Damage
    Geth roll 3d8 for Smitin' Fools

    6 Slashing damage and 8 Radiant damage.

    Longsword Damage:
    1d8+3 6 [1d8=3]
    Smitin' Fools:
    3d8 8 [3d8=4, 3, 1]

    Zomro on
    Endless_Serpents
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    be safe! @Zomro

    Endless_SerpentsmrpakuAustinP0027
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 28
    Adventurers

    Your barrage of attacks down the fiend assailing Kirina! As its body crumbles to the ground you hear a high pitched noise like a firework setting off—then it explodes in a shower of gore and spores!

    Gruush! Make a Constitution saving throw!
    Kirina! Make a Constitution saving throw with disadvantage!
    10 DC. Should you fail, you become poisoned, suffering 3 poison damage at the end of your turn until it is cured! Additionally, if you are already poisoned, your poison damage is doubled (after adding the 3).


    n9z236zyaxws.jpeg


    Solomon! Your divine smite shatters the fiend’s scythe! The fiend is unarmed! It reads back, twirling like a dancer until it a few feet further back. It hisses something as it takes on a new stance… It is silent no more. It regards you.

    Could it be… that you’re heroes?

    Endless_Serpents on
    AustinP0027fadingathedges
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Evil-Eyed Gruush's head cocks to the side. "Strange," he says quietly. "Hey Kirina, do ye' hear that s-"
    Geth roll 1d20 Con Save (Gruush)

    Con Save (Gruush):
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited September 28
    Geth roll 2d20l1+2 for I think that's the way to do it

    Oooooo that was close. I'd have been taking.... what, 10 damage per turn if I missed that? Thanks Geth, I forgive you for my previous bad rolls!

    I think that's the way to do it:
    2d20l1+2 15 [2d20l1=[13], 15]

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Endless_Serpents
Sign In or Register to comment.