Options

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - End Times

18182838486

Posts

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Is the ground still on fire? Or was that just the one time action of Fireball?

    Naw, the only thing that caught fire was the broom.

  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur immediately starts patting down the fire that is starting to consume him broom. His attention is diverted enough that he doesn't even seen the hook attack, suddenly falling down through the air to land at the Sovereign's feet. Looking up, his eyes narrow and his hand waves. With a blink, he is back by Gruush and Solomon.

    Standing to his feet, he uses both hands to summon another large ball of magic, this time an charged ball of lightining, that he flings back at the Sovereign in response to the Fireball that hit them all.


    Misty Step away as BA
    Stand up as Movement
    Another level 3 Chromatic Orb (Lightning)

    Geth, roll 5d8 for Lightning Dmg

    Lightning Dmg:
    5d8 20 [5d8=3, 6, 4, 2, 5]

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Busy day! Update will be tomorrow.
    Geth roll 1d20+8 for concentration

    concentration:
    1d20+8 15 [1d20=7]

  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Yeah with a +8, I don't think we can possibly break concentration unless someone has an insane alpha strike, so it's just about damage at this point

  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Can Solomon see the bottom of the tree, where Gladdinore said her brother was slain? Maybe he had something that might help

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+4 7 [1d20=3]

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah with a +8, I don't think we can possibly break concentration unless someone has an insane alpha strike, so it's just about damage at this point

    Always a 1% chance for that natural 1!

    I'm the void, Kirina closes her eyes and focuses. The cold and darkness is oppressive, but bringing light into the night is familiar grounds for Kirina. She attempts to pull fourth the divine energy from within, creating a Twilight Sanctuary that can shelter her.

    Channel Divinity to get that sweet, sweet temporary HP and see if anything fun happens from this :lol:

    Also I think I've only remembered to give myself advantage on initiative checks once this entire campaign lol

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Arthur

    Your spells rips fragments of the Sovereign’s chest away and he reels from you! Within the void swirls like ink in a glass of water. Stars blink out at you.



    Solomon

    This is a freebie, no need to use an action to look.

    You peer over the edge and see the gnarled roots of the tree. You spot nothing sticking out from beneath the tree. You see nothing of note, but know one of the Sovereign’s children is buried beneath it. This could be a dead end.

    Plus, you’ve still got movement to go, where you headed?



    Kirina

    The moon sized entity drifting high above you seems to hum as the Twilight Sanctuary softly glows into being... You realise your power is flowing directly from that thing, from… her.

    Soon after, new creatures, tiny in comparison but larger than you, are drawn to your light. Not star-spawn exactly, just naturally occurring creatures of the void, without intent or purpose.

    e3akuowu4blu.jpeg

    They circle you for a time; three, then four, then three again. Wait. The one that disappeared just now, upon its return it had something in its mouth. Apples! Half a dozen apples!

    These creatures are small enough to slip freely between the void and the material world, though you don’t know the route they take. Perhaps it is some innate magic of their blood or special senses that can perceive some invisible current! If you could provoke whatever response causes them to travel to the material realm…

    What do you do?

  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    For the environment we're fighting on, how does the cube effect area of effect abilities? If it was large enough to reach another face, would it 'wrap around' onto another face or would it only effect the face it's on?

    I have an idea to do drop some major damage on the Sovereign, but it will definitely hurt Solomon and potentially others.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    For the environment we're fighting on, how does the cube effect area of effect abilities? If it was large enough to reach another face, would it 'wrap around' onto another face or would it only effect the face it's on?

    I have an idea to do drop some major damage on the Sovereign, but it will definitely hurt Solomon and potentially others.

    It would wrap around, and the change in gravity would potentially make it more dangerous.

  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Gonna give the Sovereign the ol' one-two smite

    Solomon charges through the fireball unleashed by the Sovereign, body and armor singed by the flames. The knight brings his blade down in a mighty strike, followed by a horizontal slash. Each swing is followed by a blast of divine energy with a sound like a distant bell ringing through the extradimensional space.

    Moving to the Sovereign and making two attacks, each one with a level 2 smite

    Geth roll 2d6+4 for Attack 1
    Geth roll 3d8 for Lvl 2 Smite 1
    Geth roll 2d6+4 for Attack 2
    Geth roll 3d8 for Lvl 2Smite 2

    If the Sovereign is undead or fiend, he'll take an extra 1d8 per Smite.

    Attack 1:
    2d6+4 8 [2d6=2, 2]
    Lvl 2 Smite 1:
    3d8 14 [3d8=4, 7, 3]
    Attack 2:
    2d6+4 12 [2d6=3, 5]
    Lvl 2Smite 2:
    3d8 8 [3d8=5, 2, 1]

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I’d say he counts as an undead fiend for the purposes of that, for sure!

    Smite:
    2d8 6 [2d8=1, 5]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    4dlkbdr1kr7k.jpeg


    Solomon

    The Sovereign was so focused on who he deemed his true adversaries you totally blindsided him! He staggers back as you shatter his porcelain-like head, and then as your blade crashes into his side his chest explodes outwards, revealing nothing but darkness within!

    The Sovereign reaches out a crumbling hand towards you. He slows to a stop, still standing. Wide eye, you hear only your own ragged breath.



    @kime you’re back on the field!

    Smote:
    1d20+8 9 [1d20=1]
    Smote:
    1d20+8 19 [1d20=11]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    9lobl09xgw51.jpeg

    Adventurers

    Barely noticeably, the shattered pieces of the Sovereign float like ash back towards his body. He was almost the perfect vessel to allow the star-spawn into this world, and his contract has not come to an end. From within his hollowed out form, the night spills out. They’ll make use of what is left, a bitter gambit, an act of spite against you all. This fight is not yet finished.

    Beneath your feet, the ground gently tilts. Leaves and dust rise up about you, it begins to dawn on you, you may well be on a floating island. Yes. That was it, the Sovereign resides on a floating island, all the better to commune with the stars. It has begun to fall.

    What’s left of the Sovereign speaks, “My other half. Return to me, else all those you love will perish.”

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkxTPBEwgQY

    zl32hdwp54l1.jpeg

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Anyone that ends within 30 feet of me gets some temp HP, replaced every turn.

    Geth roll 1d6+5 for delicious temporary HP

    Kirina looks around, startled. One moment she was in that other land, and now.... Well, now it was time to join her friends in ushering in a change of regime. She grips her hands tightly around her enhanced Eventide, and runs into the portal to leap onto the Sovereign.

    Geth roll 1d8+3 for damage

    delicious temporary HP:
    1d6+5 8 [1d6=3]
    damage:
    1d8+3 9 [1d8=6]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Kirina

    You leap from the portal and sudden jolt of memory hits you. You recall how foolish, mad even, you thought Gruush was when they plunged down onto Fenwing, your allies first major opponent. It was a deadly manoeuvre then, and so it will be now!

    Double damage on a plunging attack, as established way back when!

    You buckle the ancient tyrant!

    8 HP for everyone!

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    “My other half. Return to me, else all those you love will perish.”

    ...Can I roll to see if he's lying/remember the truth of this? The Shadow's chief concern are his friends and "daughter" now: if it's either "become one with the Sovereign once more" or "big rock falls/everyone dies", I mean...that's not even gonna be a choice for the Shadow

    Unless we have any other ideas for arresting the fall of the island?

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    “My other half. Return to me, else all those you love will perish.”

    ...Can I roll to see if he's lying/remember the truth of this? The Shadow's chief concern are his friends and "daughter" now: if it's either "become one with the Sovereign once more" or "big rock falls/everyone dies", I mean...that's not even gonna be a choice for the Shadow

    Unless we have any other ideas for arresting the fall of the island?

    The island is falling, but it’ll be minutes until it picks up speed. Shortly after that it’ll impact the belfry ruins. Now, you do have access to something that could stop that, at a cost. You’ll have to think about it.

    He’s not lying, but it’s not certain. He’s just a heavy hitter, as we saw with the Fireball. Plus he’s going to deal extra acid damage if he gets around to melee attacking, since he cast Absorb Elements earlier.

    Maybe Arthur has Feather Fall on tap?

  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Psst.... I do have Feather Fall prepared.

    And three slots open to cast it if needed

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    “My other half. Return to me, else all those you love will perish.”

    Still standing up and patting out the flames on his person, the Rogue turns to the charred, beckoning shape of his former self. Hairs on the creatures neck and back are raised, and the whistling in his ears has begun to hurt. The red haired lad is for the moment frantic, at a loss of what to do with simple steel blades in the face of The End

    "... alright..." states the Shadow blankly, after a second that seems to stretch to eternity. With a few tentative steps, the figure of the Thief moves forward, arms opening in a shaking but ready embrace. The Shadow sinks his face into his chest for a solitary moment, a deep and soul-shaking sigh buckling his thin frame. When he raises his gaze once more, a sheepish smile touches the Assassin's lips. "Well...needs must, I suppose? Once more, then!..."

    Moving slowly forward, the figure of Gruush steps in to hug the Sovereign into himself...


    Sneak Attack with Gruush's Magic Coin and Magic Arrow: Move in, Hug the Sovereign in a loving embrace, and at the same time in one hand jam the coin through the missing -middle of him, sparking it off the other hand holding the arrow. Not sure what to roll for this!

    mrpaku on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Gruush

    No roll required!

    The coin spins off into the void, followed by the arrow that breaks apart into waves of thunder that echo distantly. The Sovereign looks down inquisitively. Then the echo begins to return, louder and louder! The world goes white. Your ears ring. Your gaze flicks at a blurred shape, feel a large hand on your shoulder, you squint at a mouth moving, a face you can’t make out, but you don’t hear a thing.

    CRACKTHOOM!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0EuhC4WkIE&list=PL770h6MBVlwFghHS5qsi2v2TOKEW7kxC-&index=18
    Geth roll 4d10 for thunderstruck
    Geth roll 4d10 for advantage

    thunderstruck:
    4d10 24 [4d10=5, 9, 3, 7]
    advantage:
    4d10 12 [4d10=2, 1, 2, 7]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Adventurers

    Seconds before you can question Gruush, he steps close to the Sovereign and wraps his arms around the shattered horror. A moment later, the pair explode! The island you are standing upon shakes and begins to tilt and turn!

    Behold! The Sovereign has been slain! Already he crumbles to dust. The stars above begin to swirl. This has become a liminal space, a masterless precipice for a new age!

    cyyag72825j2.jpeg


    From each of your brows a shard appears, burning with strange light. Now once again objects that can be held.

    Nearby the golden anvil and hammer once used in hope to destroy the crown hums with dormant power.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTwiApRihls

    2b6nl19nde7n.jpeg

    Panting, Gladdinorre now stands before the Sovereign, having cast aside those in the way of the blast as best she could to protect them… but here, floating, in arms reach, what’s left of the crown.

    What do you do?



    Gruush

    You are prone. You have been pushed aside 5 feet by Gladdinorre. You took 24 force damage, but the Sovereign took much more.



    Solomon

    Oh! Also you took half damage, sorry old chum. That’s 12 force damage. You’ve been knocked back 5 feet.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Just so we’re clear, we’re out of combat, but we will immediately roll initiative again when someone decides to make a surprise round smack upside someone’s head.

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    The Shadow convulses nearby, the aftershock of the spell tearing through every fiber of the Rogue's thin frame!

    As the remaining embers of the Sovereign slowly vanish into the ether, the smoking figure of Gruush turns to the group, his face charred but eyes still-knowing. Face shining with pride, the Thief grins cheekily at the crew once more, turns proudly towards Gladdinnore...and collapses into a heap, skin still sizzling...

    Geth roll 1d20 Death Saving Throw #1

    Death Saving Throw #1:
    1d20 18 [1d20=18]

    mrpaku on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So to be clear, we each have a shard, but there's also the large chunk of the rest of it that is floating there unclaimed, yes?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    So to be clear, we each have a shard, but there's also the large chunk of the rest of it that is floating there unclaimed, yes?

    Yup!

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina looks hesitatingly at the rest of the group. Her companions, with whom she'd been through many a life-threatening challenge in the recent weeks since entering the land here. She'd grown to trust them. She'd risk much for them.

    And now, here they were, each a contender for a newly forged Crown... She takes a half-step toward the unclaimed and largest component of the Crown. "We never really... talked about what would come next, here..."

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Solomon doesn't even notice the the larger segment of the Crown before him, his first instinct is to rush to his friend's side, in hopes of pulling Gruush away from Death's door.

    Solomon lays his hands upon Gruush's body, the same warm light emanating from his palms. "You did well, my friend. Your spirit is far nobler than any knight's or royal's."

    Lay on Hands on Gruush. Pumping the full 25 to bring him back to as healthy as possible.

    Zomro on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Explosion of light rocks the world, and as Arthur blinks away the remnants of it he sees the scene before him. Gruush collapses to the ground, Solomon rushes to the Thief, Kirina stepping towards the part of the crown that was floating in the air. All of this seemingly in slow motion to Arthur's eyes.

    His feet move him as well, though, in a slightly different direction. He heads to the anvil, picking up the hammer, looking down at it and examing it as he speaks aloud. "The shards, they are embedded in it. How are they removed?"

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Gladdinore

    The half-giant stares at Kirina intently, but listens to Arthur’s words. She raises a hand to her brown and plucks her shard free.

    “They are solid now. Metal to the touch.”, she takes a step towards the ruin that was her father, her face illuminated by the light of the shattered crown, “It was forged here, and broken here. Yet it could…”

    She straightens. She holds her shard to her brow and it once again hovers there.

    “…and I am the heir…”

    She hasn’t quite come to a decision.



    Arthur

    You have acquired the Hammer of Creation and Destruction.

    @AustinP0027 eyes only!
    It terms of combat, the hammer is a 1d4 force damage, simple, light, finesse weapon. On a hit, the target must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw with disadvantage or lose their shard. You can take it or it falls to the nearest empty space.

    Besides that I guess anyone can make a contested grapple to take a shard…

    Taking shards to the anvil and hitting them can destroy or forge them together.

    Since calculating the changes a shard brings on short notice would be a pain, every shard collected will just be a simple bonus. Spell slots back, HP gained, and so on depending on who gets what.

    Naturally, talking is the easier option, so wrangle them as best you can.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    Solomon lays his hands upon Gruush's body, the same warm light emanating from his palms. "You did well, my friend. Your spirit is far nobler than any knight's or royal's."

    The Shadow grasps his friend's hand as the life flows back into him. The fallen figure limply smiles up at the soldier. "Thank you, Solomon, once again. You're always there when we need you, aren't you?" Slowly, the figure pulls himself to his feet

    To the others, the Rogue says, "...well, now what? I want no part of the crown...I meant what I said, the Sovereign's time is over. So then..."

  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    "I devoted myself to you, my companions, and vowed to stop the Starspawn from entering this world. If they enter, our world is doomed, whether by the Starspawn's hunger or the Demons of the Tree destroy it to halt their advance."

    "If the Crown can prevent our extinction, how do we use it? Can we trust that whomever lays the Crown upon their brow will not become a tyrant like the Sovereign? To save our world and yet unleash another conquerer upon it would be a pyrrhic victory."

    "I am no king, I lived my life in service of Crowns. I would gladly do so again if the right person were to wear it, but I can't help but wonder, does this land need another Crown? Could the Shards be fashioned into something else, something that could be used to protect without the promise of rule?"

    Zomro on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "We may not know that without removing them from ourselves first. You can't fashion something out of the shards while they are all embedded in us." Arthur responds to the Knight's words.

    "I....I think I might know how to do that with the hammer." he looks down at the hammer again, "But, we all need to be in agreement." His eyes lock on Gladdinore who is still staring at the remaining crown.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Gladdinorre

    She stays her hand, but watches for movement all around.

    “I have no pact with the stars. Whatever addled gambit my father planned, it failed long ago. All these centuries have been but one long, last gasp.”, she states coolly, “The power is yet held, and such power it is. It could be wielded differently…”

    Persuasion or Deception from anyone, highest roll wins. Alongside proving your point, you personally will get her as an ally.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    "Whatever form the Crown takes, there's one thing that I know to be true; it is far too much power for one person to wield. A Council or Tribunal to wield the power for a common good, with members who share their wisdom with one another and see their ambitions kept in check by the rest. I would give my shard willingly and pledge my sword to the defense of such a group."

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Persuasion

    Geth, why you gotta do me dirty like that?

    Persuasion:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]

    Zomro on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    She is unmoved by this. Recall that she lived under absolute dictatorship, and was then frozen in time; the concept of a council is alien to her.

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    @Zomro

    Turning to the soldier and grinning thoughtfully, the Shadow inquires, "How about you, Solomon?"

    The figure of Gruush lets the question linger for a moment, before adding, "You've been ever-our faithful shield and protector throughout this journey. You've never sought power yourself, nor been born to it. Who better to wear a Crown in hopes of a brave New Kingdom, then it's most humble and loyal servant?"

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    "A council... no, I've seen that before. It is too easy to avoid solutions when the responsibility can always be shifted on someone else, never something you have to shoulder yourself. Someone must take up the mantle. But... I'm never opposed to some change," Kirina smiles. "Perhaps we could reforge the shards into a rod or scepter instead of a crown. Something that is, symbolically, meant to be deliberately held for some time before passing on. A crown rests on your head, and becomes comfortable there and resists change. An item you must hold is an item you must set down, after some time, and will lend itself to a new ruler when it is time for the first to move on."

    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Persuasion

    Edit: yeahhhh glorious rolls :lol:

    Persuasion:
    1d20+1 8 [1d20=7]

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    "A chain perhaps?" Arthur's voice chimes up from behind them. "Something that you might feel the weight of, but like Kirina says, can be removed more easily."

    "Whatever form it takes, this doesn't happen without all the pieces. We all would have to give up our shards."

    I'll take a shot with my big +0
    Edit: Geth has ruled that no one is persuasive in this moment.

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Persuasion

    For @Endless_Serpents only
    Would I know how to use the hammer to remove shards if the subject was willing? Or is it "Hit and DC save" only?

    Persuasion:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

    AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Geth wants the crown!

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "If we are really are in agreement to make something new, I think we can just freely give up our shards. The way I'm understanding mine, it's a choice, not a contract."

    Arthur looks towards Gladdinore. "No one is bound forever, everyone has their own choice of will."

    This is my way of saying I checked with Endless and we can just give up the shard if we want. It's not some process/ripping out/etc...

Sign In or Register to comment.