As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - Sunken Magor Venge

1232426282964

Posts

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "Hey." Arthur says to his companions who were all checking out the rooms.

    "I hear someone ahead, and the sound of coins. We will want to be prepared to not be alone." He thinks for a moment, then adds, "And if you have any interest in what is down there, we might want to hurry."

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    "Hey." Arthur says to his companions who were all checking out the rooms.

    "I hear someone ahead, and the sound of coins. We will want to be prepared to not be alone." He thinks for a moment, then adds, "And if you have any interest in what is down there, we might want to hurry."

    Will you take the lead? Someone has to go first.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 10
    Arthur turns back to the open door. His companions would join him soon, he was sure of it. He creeps down the stairs quietly in his robe and peeks into the next room.

    Giving some wiggle room for others to finish their other room stuff. Don't want to force new scene on everyone

    AustinP0027 on
    Endless_Serpents
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina is ready to go

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    mrpaku
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Solomon will actually grab the easel, if it can be broken down / collapsed. He can set it up back at the Belfry to get his paint on.

    Also, what's the lighting situation in here? Is it dark or are there, like, still burning sconces on the walls?


    Solomon keeps his longsword at the ready, in case there is anyone else around but his companions. He joins Arthur as he heads down the stairs, keeping close in case the young man needs protection.

    Endless_Serpents
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Satisfied at his secret find and eager to depart this smoky place, Gruush follows the rest down the stairway

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Solomon

    Visibility is poor at best. An orange glow is to the rear, in the rooms now consumed by flame. I’ll assume Simon has a torch still lit, but it’s almost dead.

    Arthur & Kirina

    Two black stone doors are pushed inwards. Intricate circles mark the door, and upon inspection are capable of movement—someone knew how to open this complex pair of doors.

    Inside… treasure. A kingdom’s entire.

    You see a cackling undead grab fistfuls of gold and throw it into a bag. Then it dives under a platinum statue of a bat.

    Suddenly two warriors clad in black clash inches from the doorway! Coins and artefacts are sent flying! One stabs the other, and their opponent grabs them around the waist and charges them into a wall out of sight.

    There is an ongoing battle between two sides dressed in the same armour. The same set you saw when you first entered the Vastness Beyond.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers

    Before you is the castle’s treasury. The room is smashed to pieces. All the castle’s valuables are strewn across the floor.

    You spy at least six combatants. It’s impossible to tell who is on what side. There is a scrawny undead hugging a bag of gold on the floor.

    The far side of the room is collapsed into a lower floor. Revealing another room below.

    How do you approach this situation?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur pulls himself back from the door as the two armored figures clash in the other side of it. "Six of them plus something in the middle. They might not see us if we run but they might."

    Arthur looks over the group. "I'm not sure how many resources we all have left, so a quick escape might be the safest idea."

    Same armor means looks similar to the big armor guy on the original hill?

    Also, collapses floor on left is that the only "exit" we see?

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    I intend to develop a bit of a weapons collection as I will soon be able to summon two weapons to my side from anywhere. I wonder Serpent, did you know that was a power I would have when you suggested I start an armory? I'll make a perception check specifically looking for interesting or magical weapons. The more niche and unusual the better. If there are none to be seen I'm happy to move on.


    Geth roll 1d20-1

    1d20-1 5 [1d20=6]

    nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    Endless_Serpents
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'd also like to take a look to get an idea of what types of treasure we're talking about. Is this mostly "sell for gold" type stuff, or usable items, or...? And also, specifically are there any diamonds? Diamonds are gonna be useful at a higher level to rez people and such. So yeah, Kirina may want to risk grabbing some yummy treasure, and even more greedy if it's usable stuff/diamonds. I'll roll some stuff in case it's needed, with Guidance because pffft why not!

    On the off-chance I can't do both of these Guidances, just take the Perception one.


    Geth roll 1d20+3+1d4 for Perception to spy the goods
    Geth roll 2d20-1k1+1d4 for Stealth (just to be in the doorway, not entering yet)

    Perception to spy the goods:
    1d20+3+1d4 21 [1d20=17] [1d4=1]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    mrpaku
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2d201l1-1+1d4 for Stealth (just to be in the doorway, not entering yet)

    Stealth (just to be in the doorway, not entering yet):
    2d201l1-1+1d4 19 [2d201l1=[16], 101] [1d4=4]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    errr I messed up that roll

    Sorry for the triple post, rolling dice is hard :D


    Geth roll 2d20l1-1+1d4 for Stealth (just to be in the doorway, not entering yet)

    Stealth (just to be in the doorway, not entering yet):
    2d20l1-1+1d4 8 [2d20l1=[8], 19] [1d4=1]

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    As they descend towards the treasury, Alzav throws his mind out in a few directions: I see you.

    He presses himself against the wall outside the door, sparing a bare glance through to get a sense of what's going on before connecting the group's minds by echoing their messages between them in their own voices at the speed of thought.

    "Perhaps we can let the battle resolve, then clean up the remainder . . . or will they rise again, too quickly? Or we could sneak what we can take, then move for the next spot? I can perform minor levitations, which might be safe, but would not take very many treasures."


    ___

    If we can spare a minute to wait and see, Alzav would vote to third-party the victors here. If the fire and other factors make that impossible, I guess stealth grab & go? I'm actually sneaky!

    I anticipate a busy morning at work tomorrow -- rolling for my next action just in case I need to participate while I'm tied up. My Stealth is +4, Deception is +5, Perception +3

    Geth roll 1d20 just in case

    just in case:
    1d20 2 [1d20=2]

    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    lol Geth is like, "no need to worry about your modifiers I got you covered"

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    ZomronightmarennyAustinP0027mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    Adventurers

    The only way out of the treasury is through the collapsed floor at the opposite side. There are no other doors. If not for the collapse, this would have been a dead end.

    The armour the warriors are wearing is black—Blackreach Sentinels.

    v4iev85l8312.jpeg
    3g6kc7ewizs7.jpeg

    One of them is thrown out the doors! They slide by you all, flip to their feet and turn to you.

    “Get out! Go! Head to the river!”, they roar.

    Then they sprint back in and drop kick a pair of duelling Sentinels. More than two sides, you realise. This is a battle royale.

    None of you are in stealth.

    The floor is covered in coins. A huge diamond is held on a pedestal with metal clasps; seconds after you spy it a Sentinel picks it up to beat another to death with it. A pile of coins erupts like a volcano! A Sentinel resets her jaw and pulls a sword from her gut. Over there, could be a contraption of some sort, magical or invention. There, a hanging tapestry. There, a platinum statue of a cat with rubies for eyes. Riches beyond your wildest dreams.

    Options:
    • The time for stealth has passed.
    • You could sprint and drop out of the room without trouble. No rolls required.
    • If you wish to take anything precious, a combat encounter will start. You don’t have to finish the encounter per say, you could run away each turn after grabbing something.

    Endless_Serpents on
    fadingathedges
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    cp5fkln3dbuu.png
    rxgqe5q2mq51.png


    Initiative Order:
    1. The party.
    2. The Sentinels.
    3. The cackling undead with a bag of gold.

    Considerations:
    • If you do want to grab an item, combat will start.
    • However, a full sprint of 60 feet would get you to the half way point of the treasury.
    • So you could be out by round 3 if you’re not trying to grab everything.
    • The diamond Kirina is after is held by a warrior… so they’ll have to go down if you want that.
    • When you plan to jump down to the next floor, I’ll accept an Acrobatics or Athletics check to give you the extra feet required to leave the treasury. So if you move 60 feet and you’d still be in the treasury, succeed on a DC 10 check to get out of there.
    • You’re more bunched up to the doors than the map allows. You’re right next to it, touching distance.

    Endless_Serpents on
    AustinP0027kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sneaking away is no longer an option. Arthur realized that and peers inside again, content to make a break for the other side. But when he goes, his eyes catch something, some magical and complex. He steps into the room, ready to run, and find he redirects himself. Unable to pass up the chance at getting something he can learn from, he runs to the right wall and the item on the ground.

    We're going in order to everyone can decide if they aim for something or not. Arthur's still young....

    I think I'm able to run up to the contraption without dash, so I could pick it up.

    kime
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    We came to the treasury for reason, right? If we stick together and move up one side we could grab some stuff and protect each other. Is there anything in particular people are interested in?

    kimemrpaku
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    We came to the treasury for reason, right? If we stick together and move up one side we could grab some stuff and protect each other. Is there anything in particular people are interested in?

    The diamond!

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    Gruush is most interested in the cat statue, but the ocarina or the tapestry seem much easier to grab without drawing undead attention, and get him closer to the exit from DASHing speed

    IC, Gruush probably wouldn't even mind crouch-walking out of here, just quietly shoveling handfuls of coins into his bag the whole way, but OOC: that would weigh a ton, and I'm worried a Scrooge's Vaults-worth of gold might be partly illusory, and he'd be eagerly opening an empty pack later

    Endless, could Gruush stoop down and scoop up a handful of the gold right now, to see if he can tell if it's legit? Not taking any, just letting it fall through his fingers

    mrpaku on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m just going to interpret these thoughts.

    Arthur

    You grab the contraption.

    ijqjvj90x8bm.jpeg

    No idea what it does.



    Gruush

    You sprint towards the tapestry and slide through piles of coins, grabbing one as you pass.

    Make an Arcana check.



    Kirina

    A question takes hold: Will I engage the warrior holding the pedestal with the diamond on top?

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    Geth roll 1d20+1 Arcana (Gruush)

    Edit- Gruush love shiny pretty thing

    Arcana (Gruush):
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]

    mrpaku on
    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I’m just going to interpret these thoughts.

    Good idea :D
    Kirina

    A question takes hold: Will I engage the warrior holding the pedestal with the diamond on top?

    Yes.

    Kirina whispers to the others, "That diamond will be useful. I could use some help getting it..." She's going to try and time things such that she can get to the other side of the warrior holding the diamond (hole-side, not door-side), and then attack it before it recognizes she's a threat if possible. Also, she's not intending to just run out and do this while leaving the others behind in the doorway, so if there's any timing such to sync it with everyone else, she'd do that.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Just going to point out for the sake of the "plan", Arthur did already run out and ahead. So if you're looking for a distraction, you probably have one.

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    "I've no reason to doubt you, Lady Kirina. If you need the diamond then you shall have it." Solomon enters the treasury with Kirina to aid her in getting the diamond.

    When things pop off I can attack it first and maybe it'll focus on me

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Random thought, everyone on the right hand side Arthur can go for if other people keep the nearby knights engaged. Maybe then we can focus efforts on protecting as things are being gathered instead of a free for all.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Gruush

    Real coin.

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    In the interest of moving things forward...

    Simon entered the room with Arthur. The gold held little sway with him and he could sense his hallucinations we're returning. More enemies he knew wernt there and a gentle buzz in his ear. It was manageable but still he was happy they were leav- wait where was Arthur going?

    "Er um... Arthur the exits that way?"

    No use. Simon sighed, drew Mordwyn, and skulked off behind Arthur.

    Simon will follow Arthur to make sure he doesn't get separated from the group. I double move if needed to stay within five feet of him

    nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    I have a Hail Mary idea, just need to check something. Obviously, us players know that the undead will no longer rise again since the Enthroned here was destroyed, but do our characters know? Like we felt it lift when the boss was killed?

    Basically, if we know they can't return to life anymore, I'd like to intimidate them. One of them spoke, so they must have enough smarts left to understand us.

    Zomro on
    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    I have a Hail Mary idea, just need to check something. Obviously, us players know that the undead will no longer rise again since the Enthroned here was destroyed, but do our characters know? Like we felt it lift when the boss was killed?

    Basically, if we know they can't return to life anymore, I'd like to intimidate them. One of them spoke, so they must have enough smarts left to understand us.

    You saw at least one mage simply drop dead when you beat the boss. You know something big has occurred. Yeah, sure, go for it, make your play.

    kimemrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    Blackreach Sentinels

    Gonna just go to their turn.

    i2h8yhl7gqwy.png

    Blades and chains clash on all sides!

    Alzav! You are blindsided by a towering warrior, they strike you in the face! You suffer 1 damage. Another sprints towards you, but is stabbed in the back before he can reach you!

    Solomon! As you square off to aid Kirina a long chain whips by your head, scrapping your cheek! You suffer 2 damage.

    All around you the Blackreach warriors battle each other, or chase you down, ready to strike!

    …Save one, who grabs another mid-swing, saving the cackling undead from a beheading. Bag of gold dragging behind it, that undead manages to get all the way to the other end of the treasury.

    Geth roll 1d8 for #1
    Geth roll 1d8 for #2
    Geth roll 1d8 for #3
    Geth roll 1d8 for #4
    Geth roll 1d8 for #5
    Geth roll 1d8 for #6
    Geth roll 1d8 for #7

    1. Gruush
    2. Simon
    3. Solomon
    4. Kirina
    5. Alzav
    6. Arthur
    7. Cackling Undead
    8. Nearest Blackreach Sentinel

    #1:
    1d8 2 [1d8=2]
    #2:
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]
    #3:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]
    #4:
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]
    #5:
    1d8 8 [1d8=8]
    #6:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]
    #7:
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Your turn once again gang!

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    Arthur looks up as Simon approaches. Soon, two Blackguards close in. "Oh no."

    Looking around, he looks for a means of escape. Moving backwards, he find himself moving towards the corner of the room. Suddenly his feet bump against something and he looks down to find an axe at his feet. Well, while I'm here. He bends down and picks up the axe, putting it into his pack.


    It got real!

    Is picking something up a full action? I'm assuming yes.

    AustinP0027 on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Is picking something up a full action? I'm assuming yes.

    Haha, yeah. It’s a big axe.

    Arthur

    You don’t know much about axes, but as you heave it over your shoulder you’re certain it’s a good one.

    2em0543u15ei.jpeg

    I don’t believe you’ve time or proper space to put this away right now.

    kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oh duh. For some reason I was thinking hand axe. Which in retrospect, makes no sense.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Oh duh. For some reason I was thinking hand axe. Which in retrospect, makes no sense.

    Nah it’s cool. I was light on description.

    This axe is best wielded with two hands, and is just a touch off being called a greataxe. It is incredibly heavy, far too heavy to have been used in battle. Perhaps then, it is purely ceremonial… or for use in executions.

    Martial, heavy, 1d8 in one hand, 1d10 in two. Properties unknown.

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    oh boy I want that axe(that's actually partially why I decided to accompany Arthur over here.)
    Well since we're here.


    Hp:15(1 temp)

    Simon grunts as the nearest undead strikes him and strikes back with a firm thrust with Mordwyn!

    Geth roll 1d10+3

    Edit forgot I had temp HP.

    1d10+3 8 [1d10=5]

    nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I will be handing it off, just to be clear. Arthur has no interest in a giant axe. Take it now, take it after, I don't care

Sign In or Register to comment.