As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] The Crown of Charon - The Eviscerator

1235715

Posts

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Coins like gold coins?

    Or do you mean the fancy coin Sy found (which I wouldn't want to smash).

    Also, given we just lost someone, we might get distracted in the process. Maybe we wait to see if we find something that screams "zap me"

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 25
    I was thinking that the "pistons" might be presses to turn a normal gold coin into a fancy Obol, which would then get supercharged by a convenient lightning strike.

    But I am content to let this hook dangle for a bit!

    Edit: dang, I can't type at all on mobile!

    Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    That makes sense. I say go for it. Worst case, get nothing from a hold piece.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang

    Dang looks over the dead warlock sadly. Then, sadly, he tears off the bottom half of his undershirt, ruining his common clothes. Even more sadly, he wraps it around his face as an improvised mask. Then, continuing to be sad, he sadly tries to steal a wondrous item or two from the warlock’s corpse without getting a slug on themselves.

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Sleight of Hand

    Sleight of Hand:
    1d20+3 6 [1d20=3]

    kimeMatev
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Brygos the Souvenir-seeking

    Brygos places a handful of coins of various denominations (let me know a total $) on the pistons and sees if the constant motion squishes then flat into a new shape, perhaps a novelty "I visited the Upturned Pyramid and all I got was this lousy deformed currency" token.

    Assuming he doesn't lose a hand in the process, he takes the coins and leaves the room, stumbling across the spectral corpse of Naxtori with the monk going through her pockets.

    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Sleight of Hand (please no squishy)

    Sleight of Hand (please:
    1d20+1 9 [1d20=8]

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    CLANG! CLANG! CRUNCH! The gold is smashed flatter into a more disc-like shape, cracks formed on the edges. It looks nothing like the Obol Sy obtained earlier. (Just lose 1GP unless you have a hankering to try more than 1)

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    Sy watches the pistons squash a gold coin. "Nope, that's definitely not one of the coins I found."

    He steps towards the door, "And I'd rather not press a bunch of buttons we don't know what they do, so I guess we leave to find the others."

    Returning back to the hall, he sees Nax dead on the ground. "What the hell happened here?"

    What does happen with items from people who die?

    Aside from that burning question, I can't imagine Sy would care if someone was stripping a corpse. They're dead, not much use for it themselves

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang

    Still searching, and without looking up, Dang says, “Unfortunately they touched some poisonous slugs. If only they had been a dwarf monk, granting them initially resistance to poisons, half damage from poisons, and then through many levels of experience, purity of body, which grants immunity to poison and disease.”

    I’m just putting that out there.

    kimeAustinP0027Matev
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    *looks at all the detritus of the dead lying around you're partially here to pick over* I have no idea

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    Sy nods. "Ok then, the Slugs are bad. What kills slugs, salt right? Anyone have any salt?"

    He looks down at Nax's body. "Well, grab what you want and let's get going. This way is a dead end."

    Sy walks back out of the hallway back into the main room and waits for the rest to join to prep for the room that has a normal door waiting.

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    "I DO know where there's some salt!"

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    @kime what a way to go!

    Thane shakes his head. "This is not good. We should exercise more discretion. I have heard, though, that certain kind of scroll, used in the right location, could revive someone here. We can keep an eye out for such an opportunity."

    kimeAustinP0027
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Off to bed on my side of the globe, so unless told otherwise tomorrow I’ll be nicking a Greater Healing Potion, Dust of Disappearance and a Wind Fan. Coin and mundane equipment, while valuable in a point scoring sort of way, just isn’t fun to steal.

    kime
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 27
    In response to the 'Slug Incident', Azara recoils in horror as her companions' body hits the floor, stepping back with some haste, one foot in the air in case the slugs decided they hadn't had enough.

    "Vile. Truly disgusting".

    Sensing no other immediate danger (but still unwilling to touch the body), Azara opts to take a look at where the slugs were.

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Investigation

    I want to clarify that this is from a safe looking distance. In no way is Azara just rolling on up there.

    Investigation:
    1d20+2 6 [1d20=4]

    The Brayster on
    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The wall of slugs appears unbroken. With several slugs crawling back from Naxtori to become part of the wall again. There are enough of the blighters that seeing what’s on the other side is impossible without a way of parting them, and they seem quite eager to make new friends.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Brygos reaches into his quiver and withdraws a javelin. He pokes it into the slugs from as far away as he can, not looking to spear any of them, but to see if there's anything beyond - is this an actual wall covered in slugs, or a kind of slug curtain, or a huge pile of slugs blocking the way?

    If any of them get too friendly and start climbing quickly up the javelin to meet him, he'll shake it really hard against a different wall, hoping to knock them off. And if they keep coming, he'll drop it on the floor to keep away.

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang the Last Airbender

    “The answer to our present conundrum was perhaps within reach already.”

    Dang flicks open Naxtori’s Wind Fan and takes a tiger stance. You barely see the movement of his arm.
    Wind Fan
    While holding this fan, you can use an action to cast the gust of wind spell from it. Once used, the fan shouldn't be used again until the next dawn. Each time it is used again before then, it has a cumulative 20 percent chance of not working and tearing into useless, nonmagical tatters.

    Gust of Wind
    A line of strong wind 60 feet long and 10 feet wide blasts from you in a direction you choose for the spell's duration. Each creature that starts its turn in the line must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed 15 feet away from you in a direction following the line.

    Any creature in the line must spend 2 feet of movement for every 1 foot it moves when moving closer to you.

    The gust disperses gas or vapor, and it extinguishes candles, torches, and similar unprotected flames in the area. It causes protected flames, such as those of lanterns, to dance wildly and has a 50 percent chance to extinguish them.

    As a bonus action on each of your turns before the spell ends, you can change the direction in which the line blasts from you.

    Using up the 1 good use of the Wind Fan to blow the slugs backwards 60 feet.

    If they end up pinned to a wall, Dang’ll move towards them and change the direction of the wind progressively to the right.

    kimeAustinP0027
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited April 27
    There does not appears to be a solid wall the slugs are clinging to, but he can’t feel if there an end to the slugs. Brygos is forced to drop the javelin however as the slugs surge up the shaft towards him.

    Edit:

    The slugs are blown back into the mass, which is not moved by the fan, instead stuck fast in place in the corridor as some wind shrieks along the ceiling and walls back at the group

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang

    “Huh. That seemed like a cool thing. Didn’t that seem like a cool thing? Cool things usually work.”

    He puts the fan in his bag of holding.

    “Guess the holy books were wrong; it’s actually slugs all the way down.”

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    Sy pops his head back through the secret wall. "Are you still playing with the slugs? Come on, that's dangerous."

    Going back to the main room, he just looks around, not really engaging the mermaid, at first. Finally, partially bored, he looks at the Tiefling statues beside her. "Interesting work here. Make them yourself or had it contracted out?"

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    "Not my medium." Fever Coral rasps. The statues hold the burning skulls with wooden handles clasped in their stone hands. She's right you know, unless she's been to a very good hairdresser, she doesn't have the hardware to petrify bodies.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    "Right, right. Guess you're not into the sto..." he word drops from his lips once he realizes that these aren't carved bodies. "Oh. Right. Ok."

    He glances over at Fever, just to double check that she isn't suddenly moving towards him, not that she's done anything so far to indicate she's going to attack. Not wanting to continue an awkward conversation, he stares intently at the burning skull with handles.

    Do these skull things look like they could be removed? Maybe we can burn the slugs away?

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "We could use some of the salt from that outbuilding, and use it to clear a path."

    It seems like a theory worth testing - Thane will join someone if they want to work together to get a sample of the salt to test the slugs reaction, and either create a path they won't bother or coat a person to protect them. Anyone want to give it a shot?

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy would be up for going to help collect the salt, but you need to come get him because he's in the other room.

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited April 28
    The handles used to hold the skulls do not look like they are completely encased by the statue’s grip.

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    "Hmm." He reaches out and attempts to pull one of the handles out of the grip of the petrified figure. At the same time, he speaks back to Fever. "Any problem with me taking this?"

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Fever shrugs.

    "I'm not gonna stop you." The hand slides out with the slight grind of wood on stone.

    You have a Burning Skull Lantern! What an illuminating mind!

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    Sy shrugs at Fever's indifference. "Good enough for me."

    He walks back to the secret wall and walks through it to where everyone is still standing by the wall of slugs. "Got this burning skull if you wanted to try burning these things? Or are we done with the slug wall yet?"

    Alright, back where everyone is so I can react to you. Though, this is a timed adventure so we really should decide something and keep moving.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang

    The monk shrugs and pokes the slugs with the flaming skull.

    “This is it. If this doesn’t work we’ve got to book it through the door in the hall and try to make up for lost time.”

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    It doesn't count as desecrating a corpse if the person isn't really there, or isn't really dead, right? Wait, is Nax dead for real? Or is it worse, because this is the corpse of a soul and not the mortal shell...? Ah, it's above my pay grade.


    Brygos will carry the body into the satellite control room to avoid any further slug-related mishaps.

    While he's there... Well, it doesn't hurt to try. He lines up the salt pyramid in the center of the screen as best he can, rumbles "Beware! I live!" into the microphone, and presses the lightning-bolt button. This kind of impulsive behaviour is what she would have wanted.

    The aftermath of this can be sorted out later if they leave the pyramid through the front door.

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    kimeAustinP0027Endless_Serpents
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Some slugs shy away from the flames, but not enough to make a significant dent in the wall.

    **

    When Brygos attempts to use the controls, the monitor blanks, then reappears with an image.

    0pbbmg88p2z9.png

    CONSOLE LOCKED

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kime
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Bah, stopped in my tracks by a cold and unCharon machine. :D

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    AustinP0027fadingathedgesEndless_Serpents
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    "Huh" Sy says as Dang takes the flaming skull and shoves it into the slugs, which actually react by moving away. "Did not expect that to actually do anything. Anyone have a means to make a bigger fire?"

    Times like these make me wish I had chosen my backup wizard for one giant fireball.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang

    Dang hands over the flaming skull thingy.

    “Nah.”

    Dang hops on his broom and makes for the door in the mermaid room.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    Sy take aback the burning torch, shrugs, and follows Dang.

    "Everyone coming?" He yells over his shoulder.

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    "Find anything nice?" Fever Coral gurgles as you skirt the whispering fire pit towards the other side of the room, where the way is barred by an iron slab, it's surface embossed with a leering skull above a crossed pair of oars.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Ooc:

    What are the chances that Fever Coral will know what to do with a corpse if we present her with it, as opposed to leaving Nax's "body" behind the hidden wall?

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited April 29
    Geth roll 1d10 for extra gold

    Mechanically and thematically, how are new characters introduced here? I know it's part of the plan, just dunno how.

    Edit: y'know I really could have used more gold here...

    extra gold:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited April 29
    Probably more adventurers at the feast than we first had the camera focused. Mechanically, you just show up fresh and ready to go so long as combat's not happening. In which case you show up right after the fighting's finished.

    And of course if you're rerolling/waiting to pop in, you're free to help out and offer advice as part of the OOC chatter!

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Probably more adventurers at the feast than we first had the camera focused. Mechanically, you just show up fresh and ready to go so long as combat's not happening. In which case you show up right after the fighting's finished.

    And of course if you're rerolling/waiting to pop in, you're free to help out and offer advice as part of the OOC chatter!

    Awesome. I think I've got a new character ready to go then. One who won't touch the death slugs... I'll post and join in tomorrow, it's bedtime now

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    MatevAustinP0027
Sign In or Register to comment.