As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] The Crown of Charon - The Eviscerator

13468915

Posts

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "Eh, salts too far. Let's try this."

    With a gesture, Thane calls forth a roaring bonfire in the entry to the secret, slug-filled hall!

    Can I clear a path with sequential fires? At least to see where it leads, or ideally, a route for safe travel.

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Lady Lorian of the Valderspire (Bladesinging Wizard)

    xa03qbdhk4q7.png

    Lady Lorian knows that she is better than everyone else here. She could have made this trip alone... but then she'd have to carry all her spoils back herself. And a lady of Lorian's status does not just go carrying around their luggage. Like some commoner, oh no. So she's here with the others, and maybe they'll be useful to run ahead and spring traps, too. Lady Lorian is creative in her use of lesser beings. And if nothing else, she needs someone to applaud when she begins her deadly (and beautiful) dance.

    Y'all can learn more about her backstory once I know she's going to survive like, three days :D:D . This is a good start for how she'll interact with others.

    Items! I splurged on a second Rare item and rolled low on bonus gold, so she's carrying significantly less than most others (everyone else?) here.

    Starting Gold: 5500

    Purchased:
    Potion of Healing x10 (500 gp)
    Amulet of Health (rare, 5000 gp, requires attunement)

    Starting items:
    Cloak of Displacement (rare, requires attunement)
    Pearl of Power (uncommon, requires attunement)
    Rapier+1 (uncommon, 500 gp)
    Helm of Comprehending Languages (uncommon)

    https://ddb.ac/characters/72856523/iQDmkH

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    AustinP0027Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang

    Dang is jus’ flying through the west exit at full speed.

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    You're using Create Bonfire, yah? Just trying to make sure I'm tracking your spell use properly

    The fire disperses the slugs out it's area, but there's still plenty blocking the way. Fire apparently good. More fire better?

    ***

    The West exit from the Scrying Fire is barred by the Iron Slab.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Lady Lorian

    She raises her hand and shoots out a (small) ball of fire, repeating every few seconds to clear the slugs.

    "This is proper fire."

    Using Firebolt as many times as needed. Need me to roll damage?

    And yeah she's just been here the whole time, watching and judging

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Big Barred Dang

    “Aiyah! It’s like they don’t want us to get in.”

    Dang takes out his iron pentagram and whacks it against the iron slab.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    Standing behind Dang, Sy looks back at Fever. "Does this thing open? Or do we have to ask pretty please?"

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    What exactly is the slab? Can it be lifted up, or is it bolted to the wall?

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 1
    Everytime the Lady Lorian shoots fire, the slugs swoop back in to replace their crisped brethren. You're not certain if you're having any effect with this spell.

    ***

    The slab rings out as the pentagram strikes it. There is a passage on the other side you're sure. You can't tell if the slab is fixed in place to anything. It is not flush with the floor as you see a slight seam between the 2.

    The Iron Slab, as previously described, has a surface embossed with a leering skull above a crossed pair of oars. No other notable features are present

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be traveling for today and tomorrow, so please feel free to skip me of decisions need to be made and I do not respond fast enough.

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 1
    Dang

    “Let me in! Let me in!”, Dang screams.

    Dang goes and fetches himself a flaming skull thing and waves it around near the door. Pokes it a bit. The works.

    The he throws it away.

    He attempts to push, pull, lift and slide the door. Then sighs…

    One foot against the wall, two hands on the slab, the monk tries to open the door with muscle alone.

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Athletics

    Athletics:
    1d20+4 5 [1d20=1]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    yes, create bonfire cantrip. Can I use it repeatedly to clear a safe path? Its a 5' cube of fire so i was thinking multiple, progressive casts might clear a path. If like to test that and see if it shows us to see what's beyond the slugs, before walking in following the fire. If it looks hairy while doing that, i could also walk into the fire to avoid certain death... but it's hard to know if that's practical to try without knowing if the test let's us see what's beyond.

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    To put it shortly, cantrips will not cut it to disperse the slugs.

    Dang begins his rigorous testing of the slab. When he goes to lift it, he finds it does so easily, revealing a way forward. The passage opens to a larger room with a grating for the floor, and stone archway on the far end opposite your vantage point.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang

    Dang hops on his broom and hovers into the room. He squints sceptically at the grating.

    What’s below the grating?

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    As Dang sails into the room, he sees a black block start to swiftly descend.

    All players will have 24 hours to declare if they are going to rush into the room to be in the encounter with Dang. If everyone's in we'll move on sooner, but otherwise I will provide the baseline information for the start of the encounter, but action won't take place until everyone's had the choice of being there or not.

    ***

    Gauntlet of Bestial Monoliths



    hz19d8mstdgg.png


    This chamber is more cave-like, with stalactites reaching down from the ceiling to the floor of grated iron, patches of grime evident on the metal. Fingers caked in soot reach up between the grates desperately, but what those fingers are attached cannot be seen in the gloom beneath grating.

    The grating is broken up by several riveted iron pits gaping open throughout the cavern, a pulsating ochre glow emanating from them and casting strange shadows.

    Several blocks of coral stand in 2 rows down the length of the cavern, each with a mosaic depicting a different monster. As Dang enters the room, he sees them start to lower into the floor. The center of the room is dominated by the statue of a skinless balor, covered in funerary wrappings that seem to be festooned with barnacles. Chained to the statue are 2 mummified demons with leathery wrappings covering them.

    There is a stone archway to the west that leads into another corridor, from which the sound of rushing water echos. To the north, there is a portal of churning mud set into a bone archway.

    The letters on the map indicate the pillars, the small square features are the pits

    td64xm7kxdxi.jpg


    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    "Ah.Well, there you go." Sy says as Dang lifts the slab. "Fever, be a dear and tell our companions we moved on would you?"

    Sy joins Dang in the new room, pausing near the entrance as Dang stares down into the grating. Sy lifts the burning skull up try try and shed more light for Dang.

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 1
    As Sy lifts the Burning Skull, the darkness beneath the grates melts away and you can see below the floor are far too many filth covered humans, packed in like sardines as they attempt to grasp for freedom. They make no sound, but they are mouthing "Erebus" over and over.

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Azara will join Dang in the room

    Catching up, Azara looks down at the figures under the grates with no small amount of concern.

    "Should we... should we help them?"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    Sy looks down and shakes his head. "Remember where we are. They're beyond our help."

    I'm assuming we can't really explore until the encounter begins?

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Correct, we're in those fleeting moments where everyone realizes something is about to go down

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Brygos watches Dang effortlessly hoist the door and decides that this is where the action is. On his way to the new area, he pauses before Carl.

    "I'm not sure if you were watching, but we left one behind. Slugs. So, ah... Good trap there. Dunno if you can get to her from your chair there, but I figured you'd want to know." He nods respectfully to the guardian, then hastily crosses over the grating.

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "Hmm?" Thane hears the iron portal grinding open as it rises, and sees Dang quickly flit through into the darkness. "Oh, f--"

    Thane drops the bonfire before him and follows Dang into the new room.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Tagging @kime as the only one who hasn't decided if they are joining us in the room yet

    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Lady Lorian
    Matev wrote: »
    Everytime the Lady Lorian shoots fire, the slugs swoop back in to replace their crisped brethren. You're not certain if you're having any effect with this spell.

    She frowns, and keeps shooting a few more times even after it's obvious there will be no progress.

    "Well, clearly this is no ordinary barrier!" She pulls out her spellbook and flips through some pages... "Ah ha! Watch and learn!" Lorian gives a secretive glance to her side to make sure everyone is watching, and sees that everyone is already gone.

    Lady Lorian rushes off to join the others. It's no good solving a problem if there isn't a crowd to watch you do it!

    Join the fight, yes.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    As the Lady Lorian rushes into the room (but in a dignified manner!), a large onyx block crashes down no more than a couple inches from her back, a large glowing warding seal appearing on it's face.



    The coral blocks begin their descent into the floor as the mummified demons stir....



    roll for initiative!

    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Initiative of the Mummified Despoiler Mage Flayed Blasphemers

    Initiative of the Mummified Despoiler Mage Flayed Blasphemers:
    1d20-1 16 [1d20=17]

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kimeEndless_SerpentsBursar
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Initiative of Lady Lorian

    Initiative of Lady Lorian:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+3 12 [1d20=9]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    Edit: Oh sure, Nat 20 on Initiative, I'm sure I won't need that roll anywhere else in this room....

    Geth, roll 1d20+10 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+10 30 [1d20=20]

    AustinP0027 on
    Endless_SerpentskimeMatevBursar
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Plus 10, ooooo, nice!

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Yeah, Rogues get Dex and Swashbucklers get to add Cha to that, so it really jumps up.

    Also got me looking and realize that I'd forgotten Reliable Talent for Auto 10+ on proficient skills, so nice reminder there.

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+1 for initiative

    initiative:
    2d20k1+1 7 [2d20k1=[6], 6]

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for initiative

    initiative:
    1d20+6 13 [1d20=7]

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Just need @fadingathedges init and we'll move this murder train on

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kime
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Initiative!

    Initiative!:
    1d20-1 6 [1d20=7]

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Initiative order:

    Sy
    Lorian
    The Blasphemers
    Azara
    Dang
    Brygos
    Thane

    @AustinP0027 You're up!

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Squeeeee first fight![ And I only had to kill one character to get to it! :D/i]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Matev
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Thane:
    m1fn8u1a0j83.jpg
    ctjrssih7o8g.jpg
    99l2bbi2k9q3.jpg

    kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    Sy notices the mummies moving first. Yes they were chained to the statue, but that hardly meant they weren't threats. Springing forward quickly, rapier in hand, Sy stabs down into the first mummy. With a flourish, he spins away, circling around the statue and moving himself further up the room. Stab, hide, stab, repeat



    I know there's a lot going on in the room, so stab the bad guy doesn't seem like the right solution but trapped in room with mummified demons, so stab stab stab.

    Ok, Rogue shit.
    1. Attacking Mummy Demon (let's say, on the left)
    2. Since he attacked in melee it can't opportunity attack him this turn (Fancy Footwork)
    3. Rakish Audacity lets me sneak attack (position myself within 5ft of it but on the side where the other one isn't within 5ft of me)
    4. Sneak attack if I hit the thing
    5. Move rest of movement away from it towards other end of the room (Have 30ft total)

    Geth, roll 1d20+11 for Attack Hit
    Geth, roll 1d8+6 for Rapier Dmg
    Geth, roll 7d6 for Sneak Attack Dmg

    Attack Hit:
    1d20+11 24 [1d20=13]
    Rapier Dmg:
    1d8+6 14 [1d8=8]
    Sneak Attack Dmg:
    7d6 23 [7d6=4, 5, 3, 1, 3, 5, 2]

    kimefadingathedges
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Guess I could have been nicer and tagged next up.

    @kime

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ah, I was uncertain if Matev needed/wanted a response. K, lemme think of what to do. May start simple

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
Sign In or Register to comment.