As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] The Crown of Charon - The Eviscerator

145791015

Posts

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    OK, so the coral pillars that are slowly lowering and have monster pictures on them....

    How fast are they going down? They are going into the floor? Is there anything above them?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The creature lets out a shriek as it’s struck by Sy’s passing attack. The flesh is tough, and what would’ve been a mortal blow for a mortal seems to have only wounded this monster.

    Lorian can tell the monstrous mosiacs are composed of thousand upon thousands of rings of protection carefully fitted into place, their power long faded.


    The pillars are descending into the floor at a steady rate, but not slowly. You're pretty sure you have under a minute before these things are gone. The nothing of note above them, but there is a square divot in the top of each pillar.

    The mosiacs are:

    a) Skeleton
    b) Succubus
    c) Erinyes
    d) Green Slime
    e) Glabrezou
    f) Dracolisk

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    AustinP0027kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Lady Lorian

    I feel like I want to take this slowly still...

    Lorian walks over to the skeleton coral column, just to be prepared, and then shoots a Fire Bolt at the closest chained monster.

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Fire Bolt attack roll
    Geth roll 3d10 for maybe Fire Bolt damage

    Then she's done.

    Fire Bolt attack roll:
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]
    maybe Fire Bolt damage:
    3d10 15 [3d10=5, 1, 9]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    I didnt look at your character sheet, but +5?
    Do you have low INT? Without checking i think we have +4 Proficiency bonus

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    I didnt look at your character sheet, but +5?
    Do you have low INT? Without checking i think we have +4 Proficiency bonus

    No I'm just bad. I usually play on Roll20 where my rolls are all done for me, I was pretty proud of myself for not forgetting the +5 from Int. But no, it should be higher than that. My sheet says +5 for Proficiency, but level 11 just has +4, so I'll have to figure out where that came from. Either way I'm hoping a 21 hits already, but it's at least actually a 25. [Edit: oh we're level 13, right. Yeah, it's +5 for Proficiency, so the total roll should be a 26]

    Thanks for noticing!

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    What's the general feeling for meta-game puzzle type talk considering we're in battle?

    Wait till our turn to share thoughts/ideas?

    kime
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Table talk costs no actions and is not bound by order, go nuts!

    The wrappings of the creature catch alight! It shrieks and thrashes, but is chained in place.

    The Blasphemers

    The burned, cut up creature flicks it's fingers towards Lorian, rotten flesh shaking loose and flying at her, forming painful darts that strike into her!

    Lady Lorian takes 15 Necrotic damage from Rotting Missile!

    It then turns to look at the quartet of adventurers that were not fast enough to act. With a terrifying howl, it mouth opens wide, wider, even wider still, like a snake preparing to swallow a great meal. The air rushes around them, and they can feel their life's breath being stolen from them!

    Brygos, Thane, Azara, and Dang must make Constitution saving throws!

    The Blasphemer on the far side of the statue swivels it's head to the side, and sees Sy. It flings it's hand out, rotten darts thudding into the rogue.

    Sy takes 15 Necrotic damage from Rotting Missile!

    The monster twists it's fingers in mesmerizing fashion, the contortions fascinating to Sy in spite of his crystalline gaze.

    Sy must make a Wisdom saving throw!

    While these effects resolve, the turn will continue with Azara. Go for it @The Brayster !

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kime
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+9 for Con Save

    Con Save:
    1d20+9 13 [1d20=4]

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ugh, just straight up "take 15 damage". Ow

    Anyways, these coral things, what do we think? Containing monsters within or something similar? Faded rings of protections around them and murals of monsters....

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Oh, the monster mosaics are made of the rings of protection. Hope that clarifies that a bit!

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Oh, the monster mosaics are made of the rings of protection. Hope that clarifies that a bit!

    Are they rotatable?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    They do not appear to have any moving parts

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+11 for Brygos's CON Save

    Brygos's CON Save:
    1d20+11 26 [1d20=15]

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    The coral statues appear to be sinking, but I don't know if there's anything to put in the square divots at the moment.

    My worry is that there's two of the blasphemers at the moment, and they appear to be chained to the hands of the Balor statue. It might not actually be a statue for very long...

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I'll be using Uncanny dodge to halve that damage.

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for WIS save

    WIS save:
    1d20+2 21 [1d20=19]

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    The coral statues appear to be sinking, but I don't know if there's anything to put in the square divots at the moment.

    My worry is that there's two of the blasphemers at the moment, and they appear to be chained to the hands of the Balor statue. It might not actually be a statue for very long...

    You don't think killing the blasphemers would release the statue or something, do you? That'd be awkward... We can probably tell from killing one first?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Puzzle thoughts in spoiler

    So, huge assumption here but the Erebus word from the people in the floor is what I'm trying to key everything off of (might be a waste, could be an answer to something in the future).

    Tried a bunch of crap, but only one thing actually hit in terms of maybe lining up. Letter in Erebus needs to be in the creature type on the pillar.

    Example table:
    E Skeleton, Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou
    R Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou, Dracolisk
    E Skeleton, Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou
    B Succubus, Glabrezou
    U Succubus, Glabrezou
    S Skeleton, Succubus, Erinyes, Green Slime, Dracolisk

    I was hoping there was a button to press in each one, but that looks wrong, so I'm not sure how you set the order. Also, don't have the specific order, just a narrowing down of them (for example, B and U only fit 2 creatures and Dracolisk only fits 2.

    Someone do something smart with this! (And also, maybe fact check it too).

    I'll probably just keep attacking.

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Puzzle thoughts in spoiler

    So, huge assumption here but the Erebus word from the people in the floor is what I'm trying to key everything off of (might be a waste, could be an answer to something in the future).

    Tried a bunch of crap, but only one thing actually hit in terms of maybe lining up. Letter in Erebus needs to be in the creature type on the pillar.

    Example table:
    E Skeleton, Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou
    R Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou, Dracolisk
    E Skeleton, Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou
    B Succubus, Glabrezou
    U Succubus, Glabrezou
    S Skeleton, Succubus, Erinyes, Green Slime, Dracolisk

    I was hoping there was a button to press in each one, but that looks wrong, so I'm not sure how you set the order. Also, don't have the specific order, just a narrowing down of them (for example, B and U only fit 2 creatures and Dracolisk only fits 2.

    Someone do something smart with this! (And also, maybe fact check it too).

    I'll probably just keep attacking.

    I don't know if it's anything like that, or if we're just in an elevator? But:

    ERinyes skEleton succuBUS has the letters in the right numerical positions - but grEen slime could also sub in for skeleton, and it leaves some unused stuff so IDK.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    I don't know if it's anything like that, or if we're just in an elevator? But:

    ERinyes skEleton succuBUS has the letters in the right numerical positions - but grEen slime could also sub in for skeleton, and it leaves some unused stuff so IDK.

    Yeah maybe that's it though. Maybe however we activate you can only do 3.

    Also, explain the elevator? Floor is going up? Are these things that tall?

    AustinP0027 on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Puzzle thoughts in spoiler

    So, huge assumption here but the Erebus word from the people in the floor is what I'm trying to key everything off of (might be a waste, could be an answer to something in the future).

    Tried a bunch of crap, but only one thing actually hit in terms of maybe lining up. Letter in Erebus needs to be in the creature type on the pillar.

    Example table:
    E Skeleton, Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou
    R Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou, Dracolisk
    E Skeleton, Erinyes, Green Slime, Glabrezou
    B Succubus, Glabrezou
    U Succubus, Glabrezou
    S Skeleton, Succubus, Erinyes, Green Slime, Dracolisk

    I was hoping there was a button to press in each one, but that looks wrong, so I'm not sure how you set the order. Also, don't have the specific order, just a narrowing down of them (for example, B and U only fit 2 creatures and Dracolisk only fits 2.

    Someone do something smart with this! (And also, maybe fact check it too).

    I'll probably just keep attacking.

    I don't know if it's anything like that, or if we're just in an elevator? But:

    ERinyes skEleton succuBUS has the letters in the right numerical positions - but grEen slime could also sub in for skeleton, and it leaves some unused stuff so IDK.

    I kinda just thought "Erebus" was thematic, given where we are...

    Also possibly that since Erebus is the god of darkness, all this stuff happened when we brought light in, yeah? Extinguish our light sources maybe (after the fight?)

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Matev did say there is a "divot" somewhere on the pillars, I think, which indicates maybe puzzle. I think a puzzle could be flavored with the theme just as easily as the room, too, so IDK.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Big Fat Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Save Me

    Save Me:
    1d20+3 5 [1d20=2]

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It also could just be a timer. "less than a minute," so we have like 5-6 rounds to kill the two monsters or something

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    It is likely that killing the monsters is required or at least good so I'm hoping to contribute to that.

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »
    The coral statues appear to be sinking, but I don't know if there's anything to put in the square divots at the moment.

    My worry is that there's two of the blasphemers at the moment, and they appear to be chained to the hands of the Balor statue. It might not actually be a statue for very long...

    You don't think killing the blasphemers would release the statue or something, do you? That'd be awkward... We can probably tell from killing one first?

    I know nothing about the Balor from other means, but I do think that things that look dead and inanimate won't necessarily stay that way for long in this place. Just thematically.

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    kime
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Also, explain the elevator? Floor is going up? Are these things that tall?

    We're locked in a box and the pillars are lowering from our perspective, which could mean the room is actuary rising, almost like it's climbing the pillars. Maybe not, we'll see.

  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 4
    Azara hunches in on herself as she feels her energy begin to drain.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Con Save

    Mustering her strength, or what remains of it, Azara briefly bangs upon the metal of her own armor with her fist, in a quick but certain rythm. **

    Following this, she inhales deeply and charges forward, striking with her favored scimitar towards the Blashphemer that targeted her, sprinting into a low-high swipe.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5+4 for Attack

    Geth, roll 1d6+5 for Damage

    ** Bonus Action - Bardic Inspiration for Dang
    As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d10). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

    You're up @Endless_Serpents , don't forget you are inspired! (Musically).

    edit: Well, there go all of my good rolls for the game.

    Con Save:
    1d20+1 7 [1d20=6]
    Attack:
    1d20+5+4 29 [1d20=20]
    Damage:
    1d6+5 11 [1d6=6]

    The Brayster on
    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang

    The monk leaps from his broom and attacks the thing Azara is attacking! He lands in a sumo stance and flicks his open palms out like lightning.
    Spending 1 ki point and Bardic Inspiration.


    Geth roll 1d20+1d10+9 for Strike
    Geth roll 1d20+9 for Flurry #1
    Geth roll 1d20+9 for Flurry #2
    Geth roll 1d6+4 for Strike Damage
    Geth roll 1d6+4 for Flurry Damage #1
    Geth roll 1d6+4 for Flurry Damage #2

    Strike:
    1d20+1d10+9 30 [1d20=17] [1d10=4]
    Flurry #1:
    1d20+9 29 [1d20=20]
    Flurry #2:
    1d20+9 24 [1d20=15]
    Strike Damage:
    1d6+4 10 [1d6=6]
    Flurry Damage #1:
    1d6+4 6 [1d6=2]
    Flurry Damage #2:
    1d6+4 8 [1d6=4]

    The Braysterkime
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 4
    Geth, roll 1d6+2 for Negative Energy Drain

    Dang and Azara will lose this many hit dice on the roll, Brygos and Thane will lose half (rounded down)

    The Blasphemer howls curses as the adventurers cut, burn, and pummel it, until it goes silent and Dang is hitting dead meat.

    The other Blasphemer is visible just around the Balor statue.

    Negative Energy Drain:
    1d6+2 6 [1d6=4]

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Does the statue change?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Does the statue change?

    That’s a negative, ghost rider

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    AustinP0027
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Brygos rounds the Balor figure towards the second Blasphemer, his booted hooves clomping along the grating with a thunder of inevitability, building up speed as he whirls his maul like a Olympian hammer-toss champion. The heavy weight swings once, twice at the undead creature, and after the second passage Brygos completes his full-body spins by leaping down into a vicious headbutt with the full force of his horns behind them.
    Move up to 40 ft to get beside the Blasphemer.

    Action: attack twice with Maul of Warning

    Bonus: if the second maul attacks hits, perform a Hammering Horns push, DC 17, to shove the blasphemer 10 ft into the pit to the northwest, assuming its chain is long enough.
    Hammering Horns
    Immediately after you hit a creature with a melee attack as part of the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to shove that target with your horns. The target must be no more than one size larger than you and within 5 feet of you. Unless it succeeds on a Strength saving throw (DC 17), you push it up to 10 feet away from you.

    Geth roll 1d20+9 for Maul Attack 1
    Geth roll 2d6+4 for Attack 1 damage
    Geth roll 1d20+9 for Maul Attack 2
    Geth roll 2d6+4 for Attack 2 damage

    Maul Attack 1:
    1d20+9 17 [1d20=8]
    Attack 1 damage:
    2d6+4 16 [2d6=6, 6]
    Maul Attack 2:
    1d20+9 15 [1d20=6]
    Attack 2 damage:
    2d6+4 10 [2d6=4, 2]

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    kime
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    @Matev to rule if those hit (since it's in doubt for once) and potentially a STR save, then @fadingathedges for Thane!

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    @Matev the creature's are in chains - are they Restrained, and/or does Brygos' shove move them out of his melee range?

    If so, Thane will shout "Follow it close!"

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    My hope was to sink it in the corner pocket like a billiards ball, and let the grasping horde below have their way with it. But it might just dangle helplessly at the end of the chain, or just whip around the statue like the underworld's nastiest tetherball. ;D

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    kimefadingathedgesEndless_Serpents
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20-2 for Shove save

    The Blasphemer is hit once, and then once again by Brygos' maul. A shot that would have sent a lesser creature flying merely sets the Blasphemer stumbling and twitching on the tight chain it is kept on. As you move past the pits, you can see they are lined with sharpened stakes which pulse with an energy.

    Nope, no movement, it's just chained up

    Shove save:
    1d20-2 9 [1d20=11]

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 5
    The first one did go down timely, so I'll conserve resources for the moment. Fire bolt! Then, move adjacent to it, opposite Brygos, so he has flanking.

    Matev, can you elaborate a bit on the "divots" you mentioned? Location / shape/ size / etc.



    A bolt of fire shoots from Thane's palm as he dashes into position!


    Geth roll 1d20+10 for Fire Bolt
    Geth roll 3d10 for fire damage


    @AustinP0027 Sy is up after me!

    e: Gimme a break Geth!

    Fire Bolt:
    1d20+10 11 [1d20=1]
    fire damage:
    3d10 19 [3d10=2, 8, 9]

    fadingathedges on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The 2nd Blasphemer erupts into flames and burns to ashes, only it's leathery wrappings remaining.

    Thane isn't quite able to keep up with hard-charging Brygos, but he does get a chance to examine the divot up close. It is perfectly square, a bit larger than a fist, with a depth of about grown man's knuckle. As Thane draws close to the monolith with the glabrezou on it, a blazing black pentagram erupts across the mosaic that only he can see.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    The group does well, quickly dispatching the two creatures. But that leaves them now in a room with sinking columns still. Sy is furthest into the room, having slid past the attacking creatures and kept moving to stay out of as much danger as he can, so he takes the time to look at his side of the room. There's a portal over here, so might as well look around it and see what he can find.

    Probably more perception of the area than investigating any specific thing since we just know general info at this point.

    Geth, roll 2d20l1+12 for Perception

    Perception:
    2d20l1+12 28 [2d20l1=[16], 16]

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The portal appears to be comprised of churning mud. Set in the top of the bone archway that frames the portal is a coral skull spattered with mud. The mouth is closed and a glowing seal is placed on it.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
Sign In or Register to comment.